Pick me an SD card

Search This thread

liamstears

Nov 8, 2007
Kent
Choices are:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/SanDisk/Sandisk-32GB-Micro-SD-(SDHC)-Card---Class-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Mobile-MicroSDHC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B005FQLN28

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDH...o-SD-Card-(SDHC)---Class-10-+-USB-Card-Reader

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MB-...cro/dp/B005FY61EK/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_img_c

For those that dont want to click on the links the choices are:

Sandisk 32GB Class 4
SanDisk 32GB Ultra Class 6
Lexar 32gb Class 10
Samsung 32GB Class 10

Some say class 4 for max random reads/writes which is better for our devices and some say class 10 has max sustained reads and writes
Havent heard much on the ultra...

Last edited:

totalundone

Jan 21, 2009
That Sandisk Class 10 you have listed in your links is a Class 6.

The Samsung one is the best of the lot. Class 10 continuous speed and benchmarks similar to the Sandisk Class 4 for Random R/W. I just received my 32 GB Samsung a few days ago.

edit: I couldn't find much info on that Sandisk 32GB Mobile Ultra (class 6). With the right hardware, the read can go up to ~30 MB/s but write is ~8 MB/s. I couldn't find any benchmarks on random r/w. If I had to guess, I would say that based on Sandisk's reputation - it should have good random r/w.

I benched my Samsung with SD Tools in my Sensation (~25% full, so not optimal).
Write: 9.4 MB/s, Read: 25.9 MB/s

I agree with k0zmic. All are good cards and you can't go wrong with any of those.

Last edited:

k0zmic

Jul 16, 2010
London
All are good cards IMO, can't go wrong with any.

Comes down to price and whether you transfer big files back and forth enough to warrant Class 10 speeds for £10 more.

k0zmic

Jul 16, 2010
London
edit: I couldn't find much info on that Sandisk 32GB Mobile Ultra (class 6). With the right hardware, the read can go up to ~30 MB/s but write is ~8 MB/s. I couldn't find any benchmarks on random r/w. If I had to guess, I would say that based on Sandisk's reputation - it should have good random r/w.

I benched my Samsung with SD Tools in my Sensation (~25% full, so not optimal).
Write: 9.4 MB/s, Read: 25.9 MB/s

Yeah I think I did read somewhere (might have been on the back of the Ultra packaging) that it has better random r/w speeds.

Can you do a speed test with the Samsung with file sizes of 1MB and below? I'd like to see how it stacks up. I think it's comparable to a Class 4 card of the same size from what I've seen in other threads so it's a solid card.

Im thinking lexar or samsung

Is the samsung worth the extra cash?

I'd go with the Samsung, from what I have read the Lexar doesn't have very good speeds with small random file sizes.

Last edited:

xXmystuffXx

Dec 29, 2011
I have the lexar one it's super fast and I don't worry about space :thumbup:

Sent from my Pyramid-T using xda premium

totalundone

Jan 21, 2009
Can you do a speed test with the Samsung with file sizes of 1MB and below? I'd like to see how it stacks up. I think it's comparable to a Class 4 card of the same size from what I've seen in other threads so it's a solid card. .

I'm not sure how to test with sizes 1MB and below but here's a crystaldiskmark result with the 50 mb option (I emptied the card, but it benched quicker before I had)
samsung_bench.jpg

masondoctorjt

Apr 18, 2010
LG V60 ThinQ
I'm not sure how to test with sizes 1MB and below but here's a crystaldiskmark result with the 50 mb option (I emptied the card, but it benched quicker before I had)
samsung_bench.jpg
Wow, those are very good random speeds. I may look into getting a Samsung card. My SanDisk class4 is almost that fast in random, but is only class 4 speeds when loading the card up with info.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

demol3

Oct 10, 2010
personally I will go for lexar one, as it is the leading profesional card for digital camera. however every micro sd card is different so you cant expect to get the same speed from every single one, the class 10 or 6 or 4 indicate that the minimum speed is 10mb/s 6 and 4 mb/s respectively

sumasage

Aug 8, 2008
That's a nice SD card (thinking of picking one up for my camera or camcorder)...
But it won't work in our Sensations since it's a standard SD card.

Fry's had the samsung microsd card for ~36$ USD Shipped a couple days ago.

Oh f^&* i didnt looked at it carefully, i ordered for my phone :( guess it wont work now...

serega12

Feb 27, 2012
Seattle
Just received my Lexar 32 GB Class 10. Was choosing between Samsung Class 10, Lexar Class 10, and SanDisk, but went with Lexar after reading a bunch of reviews. Lexar has been in business for a while. :)

Insomnis

Feb 29, 2012
Choices are:

For those that dont want to click on the links the choices are:

Sandisk 32GB Class 4
SanDisk 32GB Ultra Class 6
Lexar 32gb Class 10
Samsung 32GB Class 10

Some say class 4 for max random reads/writes which is better for our devices and some say class 10 has max sustained reads and writes
Havent heard much on the ultra...

And have you censidered adata?

- cannot post links atm :rolleyes:

I'm using 16 GB class 6 version and it was quite good deal for me. Speed is really good and price is friendly. I'm dissapointed with sandisk after my very expensive pendrive died after one year of using....

sumasage

Aug 8, 2008
Just received my Lexar 32 GB Class 10. Was choosing between Samsung Class 10, Lexar Class 10, and SanDisk, but went with Lexar after reading a bunch of reviews. Lexar has been in business for a while. :)

Can you run a speed benchmark and let is know the result?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

liamstears

Nov 8, 2007
Kent
And have you censidered adata?

- cannot post links atm :rolleyes:

I'm using 16 GB class 6 version and it was quite good deal for me. Speed is really good and price is friendly. I'm dissapointed with sandisk after my very expensive pendrive died after one year of using....

I have but they are just too expensive