DSLR Controller and the new Nexus 7

Search This thread

OJ in Compton

Aug 5, 2010
This isn't a 7D specific problem, is it? I use a rebel t1i/500D and as soon as the camera is plugged in and turned on, I get a prompt asking whether to open DSLR controller or the stock gallery. Wonder why some tablets aren't detecting a camera in the USB port.

Edit: to clarify, I'm not having issues with anything.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I have the new Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB model with CyanogenMOD 10.2 - JSS15Q and it doesn't work with with my EOS 7D and USB-OTG cable?

I have the same problem on my Nexus 4 with CyanogenMOD 10.2 - JSS15Q

Ik works flawless on my ASUS Transformer Prime (TF201) STOCK unrooted and locked.

I'm not sure about your 7, I don't support CyanogenMod. The Nexus 4 has broken USB host - it will not work.

This isn't a 7D specific problem, is it? I use a rebel t1i/500D and as soon as the camera is plugged in and turned on, I get a prompt asking whether to open DSLR controller or the stock gallery. Wonder why some tablets aren't detecting a camera in the USB port.

Edit: to clarify, I'm not having issues with anything.

Of course, there are other tablets with various issues, but what's going on with the Nexus 7 isn't exactly clear.

Some tablets will not recognize any USB (client) devices. But with the Nexus 7, for some people it doesn't work, and then after tinkering with it in various ways, it may suddenly just work - and keep working. This has happened to me, and this has happened to DarkShim as well. What we're trying to find is a more or less reliable way to make this happen. What the cause is for this behavior is also unknown - heck if we knew, it would be that much more easier to fix!

root4fun

Sep 6, 2013
Same here

Hi,

I have a rooted n7 2013 and n7 2012. The 2012 model works fine, the 2013 doesn't see the camera (eos 50d) (just as you wrote; kernel sees it, android not). Same applies to a DVB-T TV stick btw. Same issue I guess. So if you would like me to try something on the n7 2013, please let me know.

Greetings,
Chris

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Multiple people have reported here that I have not contacted yet - please don't worry or think I've forgotten you. There's currently 2 people testing various things, who have gotten their Nexus to work. However, the exact right procedure still isn't known, and once it works, its is very hard to make it not work. So I don't want too many people doing a lot of different things, because then everybody here will have it working sooner or later, but we still won't know why, and this won't help future users with this problem. So hang in there a few more days :)

depii

Dec 10, 2010
Possible Workaround

Hi! I'm running my Nexus 7 [2013] with cyanogenmod 10.2-20130909-NIGHTLY-flo in German language!

And i have the same Problem (with Canon camera): Android API: Device detected is "No" and Kernel: Device detected is "Yes". (USB Host Diagnostics app)

But I made the following interesting discovery:

Changing the tablet-language to "English (United States)" and reboot fixes the problem! Without wiping any data or factory reset.

For me it is reproducible:
Set language to "English (United States)" -> reboot -> Android USB API works fine
Set language to "Deutsch (Deutschland)" -> reboot -> Android USB API works NOT
Set language to "English (United States)" -> reboot -> Android USB API works fine
... and so on.

I hope it helps to found and fix the problem.

Last edited:

msatter

Sep 30, 2007
Hi! I'm running my Nexus 7 [2013] with cyanogenmod 10.2-20130909-NIGHTLY-flo in German language!

And i have the same Problem (with Canon camera): Android API: Device detected is "No" and Kernel: Device detected is "Yes". (USB Host Diagnostics app)

Changing the tablet-language to "English (United States)" and reboot fixes the problem! Without wiping any data or factory reset.

... and so on.

I can confirm this with the Nexus 7 that I received today. I switched from Dutch to English (United States) then rebooted and DSLRcontroller works like a charm. Before it did not work and I had a look at the procedure at the DSLRcontroller site and postphoned it....first I wanted to play with my Nexus 7 which a great device except for the backcover that is to slippery.

I have not Rooted the tablet and my build is JSS15Q.

Vielen dank Deppi!!

Last edited:

root4fun

Sep 6, 2013
That procedure works for me, to.

GER → US → Reboot = works
US back to GER and reboot = no longer works
US back to GER and NO reboot = works, and the UI is German :)

I can live with that until there is a real fix (Google?) since my device usually is not rebooted, except for SuperSU asking for it ;)

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Last edited:

root4fun

Sep 6, 2013
Installed the 'faux123' kernel today. Now the procedure does no longer work. I'll return to the stock kernel and try again later.

<edit>
Went back to the stock kernel.
The procedure as described above is working again.
</edit>

Greetings,
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: scandiun

yomadmax

May 20, 2017
Hi!
How does this issue look like more than three years later? Is the problem fixed with Android 6/7 or would I have to try all the possible solutions mentioned above?

Greetings,
Max

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Possible Workaround

... and so on.

D
    Deleted member 4959222
    Wireless connection

It works with the wireless module WU-1a too. I have not found any major problems either. :good:

I can confirm that DSLR Controller works just fine on the new Nexus 7. Played around with it for about a hour and had no issues what so ever. Live view looks awesome!

I forgot to add I'm running my Nexus 7 Stock Unrooted at this time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    Installed the 'faux123' kernel today. Now the procedure does no longer work. I'll return to the stock kernel and try again later.

<edit>
    Went back to the stock kernel.
    The procedure as described above is working again.
    </edit>

Greetings,
    Chris