[Q] How can i unlock my SGH-I717?

Search This thread

annylloyd

Feb 26, 2012
Hi guys,
I am a noob here, but i know a little! i have a SGH-I717 and i cannot unlock it, i know i can do it through cellunlocker and sites like that but i wana do it without paying any money!
I've rooted the device thanks to Da_G and installed superuser and busybox, tried the galaxy s unlock app but it doesnt work, it gives an error when trying to save in step 1, so i tried locating the efs folder myself and i did, but i cant find the file nv_data.bin, does that file get created when i insert an at&t sim? i dont have one and i am not in the country now!

please any help with this is appreciated, i am dying to use the device and i cant, my flash counter is at 15 now i think and still i cant reach anything!

thanks

newdad

Nov 27, 2007
newmarket
Is all the aggravation really worth it? If I were you, I would just pay the 5-20 bucks, then enjoy the phone the way god intended it....functionally!!

Sent from my SGH-I717R using XDA App

Reactions: JonGarrett

ssyed

May 22, 2007
I have also tried to unlock it for free and nothing has worked so far. I guess the galaxy s unlocker app by helroz doesnt work since there is no NV_data.bin in the efs folder. I manually tried looking for it but no luck.

I've also paid cellunlock my $20 two days ago and no code yet. I'm kinda frustrated that can't use this phone.

If anyone knows where I can unlock this phone, even website, let me know please. Cheapest option of course.

shivup

Dec 31, 2010
i have also tried to unlock it for free and nothing has worked so far. I guess the galaxy s unlocker app by helroz doesnt work since there is no nv_data.bin in the efs folder. I manually tried looking for it but no luck.

I've also paid cellunlock my $20 two days ago and no code yet. I'm kinda frustrated that can't use this phone.

If anyone knows where i can unlock this phone, even website, let me know please. Cheapest option of course.

try ebay.. Search for galaxy note (your model number) unlock...starting from $20.. And they are more reliable i think.. Thanx

newdad

Nov 27, 2007
newmarket
unlock

mine is rogers, i got the code from ebay within 5 hours, cost me 5 bucks through paypal

rizig was the seller name.

annylloyd

Feb 26, 2012
Does anyone know where the file nv_data.bin is? its not in the efs folder, i tried removing it and letting the device recreate the folder, and it did but no nv_data!!
i think i can find the code if i found the file

an1mal

Feb 28, 2012
This is how to unlock via AT&T

Guys if you are with AT&T then don't bother with any of those methods to unlock. It's quite easy actually. Just call AT&T and let them you know that you will be traveling and need to unlock the phone to use foreign sims. They will ask you for the phones IMEI number then provide you with an unlock code. You then power up your device with any foreign sim (any other than AT&T will work), it will ask you for code, you enter it, and done. Your device is now unlocked and free to use with any GSM chip. Have done it with our 4 phones 2 GS2 and 2 GS Notes. :)

newdad

Nov 27, 2007
newmarket
I don't think your allowed to most external links to Ebay, pretty sure it's against the rules.

If you go to Ebay and search the seller name it should come up...

Not sure if it works for at&t, mine is Rogers, and Canadian carriers do not give out lock codes for free, no matter how long you have been with them.

You you guys post a link to rigiz? Couldn't find him
Thanks

linearstream

Feb 10, 2011
Why can't all oems just do what Google (galaxy nexus) did with the bootloader? Just have a menu that says "Do u want to void warranty and unlock bootloader?". It wud make life easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Magicmann

Oct 20, 2010
Guys if you are with AT&T then don't bother with any of those methods to unlock. It's quite easy actually. Just call AT&T and let them you know that you will be traveling and need to unlock the phone to use foreign sims. They will ask you for the phones IMEI number then provide you with an unlock code. You then power up your device with any foreign sim (any other than AT&T will work), it will ask you for code, you enter it, and done. Your device is now unlocked and free to use with any GSM chip. Have done it with our 4 phones 2 GS2 and 2 GS Notes. :)

At&t wont provide unlock codes for certain phone like: the Iphone or the Skyrocket. And the Galaxy note is probably on that list (cant unlock)

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Why can't all oems just do what Google (galaxy nexus) did with the bootloader? Just have a menu that says "Do u want to void warranty and unlock bootloader?". It wud make life easier.

The bootloader is unlocked, this has nothing to do with the bootloader.

This is a carrier unlock...

Reactions: ericfn7710

randaddy

Jun 19, 2006
Bay Area, CA

I just tried calling tech support. They were more than willing to provide the unlock code...however, according to the tech support rep, their system cannot locate/generate the unlock code for the Note.

Did you run into this problem as well?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used "unlockclient com" these guys/gals (whatever) use some software you download to your computer. I checked it via Avast! (sandbox) to make sure it was clean. You plug in your phone via the data cable and follow the instructions:

1. Download and install drivers if you haven't done it yet
    http://www.UnlockClient.com/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver.exe
    2. Take out memory card and SIM card and turn your phone on
    3. Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development
    4. Switch on the option "USB Debugging"
    5. Go to dialer, type *#7284# and select USB -> Modem
    6. Go to dialer, type *#9090# and select [1] USB
    7. Exit service menu and turn your phone off by pressing power button
    8. Insert NOT accepted SIM card and turn the phone on
    9. Wait for "Enter Network Lock Control Key" message
    10. Connect phone to computer and wait until all drivers are installed (~1 min)
    11. Unplug the usb cable and plug it back
    12. Enter your paypal email or test the connection for free first
    13. When you feel ready, Click "Unlock" button

The software detects the IMEI. I took the risk of losing $25 to some scam. Boy was I wrong... The software verifies that you have paid them via paypal then does something to the phone via the data cable. At the end you have to enter 00000000 and boom unlocked.

Rebooted in my T-Mobile card and works. Now I have to flash the modem.

PS
    My AT&T (I717) phone was already rooted and on 2.3.6.
    Is all the aggravation really worth it? If I were you, I would just pay the 5-20 bucks, then enjoy the phone the way god intended it....functionally!!

The bootloader is unlocked, this has nothing to do with the bootloader.

This is a carrier unlock...
    same here, they gave me t he code for 2 SII but won't give me the code for the Note, ATT said I have to wait until end of Aug since this phone is still New!

i got really mad at them since I really need to use it and i think it is not fair that I have to pay to unlock my own phone! I told them that I am willing to pay security deposit or whatever if they won't trust that I would come back from my trip with the phone but they still didn't. At the end and to make me happy they offered me the Unlimited calling and texting for my family plan for free for six months (it is a $30/month package)
    where did you enter your paypal email address at?

In the field towards the top.

I also used this service after getting refunds from two others. This one worked!