[Q] [q] i537 4.4.2 on i9295

Search This thread

solokiller11

May 1, 2014
Evron
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Hi i just read about the i9295 and the i537 and they are the same device accept the different in the frameware version (the i9295 - 4.2.2, i537 - 4.4.2).
so i have the question can i install the i537 4.4.2 stock rom on the i9295?
and if not i'll be happy if you can explain why (just so i can understand).

thanx ahead! :laugh:

Hi i just read about the i9295 and the i537 and they are the same device accept the different in the frameware version (the i9295 - 4.2.2, i537 - 4.4.2).

While the i9295 and the i537 have the same hardware, they have different software. More specifically, the i9295 has an unlocked bootloader while the i537 has a locked bootloader. What this means is that the i9295 is able to flash/install a custom recovery, custom kernel, and custom ROM while on the i537, in order to flash anything it must be signed by Samsung. Only official firmware is signed by Samsung, so there is no way to flash a custom recovery or custom kernel. There is a way to flash custom ROMs, but that's not important here.

To answer you question, theoretically you could flash the i537 firmware on your i9295, but you will most likely end up with a bricked phone because bootloaders are only compatible with their intended models. So the i537 bootloader will only work with the i537 and will brick the i9295.

If you still really want the i537 4.4.2 firmware on your phone, I'd be more than happy to trade my i537 for your i9295. This is a great phone and works great in every respect, I only wish it had an unlocked bootloader like the i9295. If I could do it all over again I would have bought the i9295 instead.

EDIT: I think @mythi is working on a stock 4.4 ROM for the i9295, you might want to ask him about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saalschlacht

solokiller11

May 1, 2014
Evron
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
While the i9295 and the i537 have the same hardware, they have different software. More specifically, the i9295 has an unlocked bootloader while the i537 has a locked bootloader. What this means is that the i9295 is able to flash/install a custom recovery, custom kernel, and custom ROM while on the i537, in order to flash anything it must be signed by Samsung. Only official firmware is signed by Samsung, so there is no way to flash a custom recovery or custom kernel. There is a way to flash custom ROMs, but that's not important here.

To answer you question, theoretically you should be able to flash the i537 firmware on your i9295, but you will end up with a locked bootloader and no way to revert it. Your phone would still work and you'd still be able to use it, but it would be locked down so that you'd only be able to use AT&T firmware. If you really want 4.4 on your phone, I suggest you flash one of the custom ROMs in the development section.

If you still really want the 4.4.2 firmware on your phone, I'd be more than happy to trade my i537 for your i9295. This is a great phone and works great in every respect, I only wish it had an unlocked bootloader like the i9295. If I could do it all over again I would have bought the i9295 instead.

EDIT: I think @mythi is working on a stock 4.4 ROM for the i9295, you might want to ask him about it.

Hi thank you very much for your answer it helped me a lot.
and about the locked bootloader, are you sure that it can't be revert?
and one more thing i bought this phone like two weeks ago so what is the best custom rom for now? (i saw only the carbon rom 4.4.2)

and one more question, if the i537 4.4.2 is signed by samsung but with locked bootloader and the i9295 4.2.2 is also signed by samsung and with unlocked bootloader so cant i just flash back the i9295 framewere over the i537 framewere?

Last edited:
Hi thank you very much for your answer it helped me a lot.
and about the locked bootloader, are you sure that it can't be revert?
and one more thing i bought this phone like two weeks ago so what is the best custom rom for now? (i saw only the carbon rom 4.4.2)

Once you have a locked bootloader, the only way to get another bootloader on the phone is to flash one that has been signed by Samsung. Samsung uses a different signature on unlocked bootloaders, so there is no way to revert.

I don't think you really looked? I just opened the Development forum and found the following on the first page:

In the Original Development forum there is [ROM][Unofficial/Experimental][Android 4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 for SGS4A (int'l). It's under constant development and I hear good things about it, but again, I have an i537 so I can't try any of these.

Last edited:

solokiller11

May 1, 2014
Evron
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Once you have a locked bootloader, the only way to get another bootloader on the phone is to flash one that has been signed by Samsung. Samsung does not sign unlocked bootloaders, so there is no way to revert.

I don't think you really looked? I just opened the Development forum and found the following on the first page:

In the Original Development forum there is [ROM][Unofficial/Experimental][Android 4.4] CyanogenMod 11.0 for SGS4A (int'l). It's under constant development and I hear good things about it, but again, I have an i537 so I can't try any of these.

If Samsung doesnt sign unlocked bootloaders so how the i9295 have one?

and thank you for the custom roms ;)

Last edited:
If Samsung doesnt sign unlocked bootloaders so how the i9295 have one?

and thenk you for the custom roms ;)

The just flash it to the phone. To simplify the way the bootloader works, it is the first thing that loads when you power on the phone, it then tells the phone what other pieces of software to load (aboot, sbl, kernel, etc.).

With an unlocked bootloader, it does just that, it loads the next piece of software during the booting of the phone. With a locked bootloader, the bootloader checks the signature of the next piece of software to load, if the signature matches the signature that the bootloader expects then the next piece of software loads. If the signature doesn't match, then booting stops.

When you flash something to the phone using Odin (currently the way you flash bootloaders), with an unlocked bootloader Odin will flash it, for better or worse. But with a locked bootloader, the bootloader checks the signature of the file you are trying to flash and if they match then it can be flashed, if it doesn't match then the flash aborts without any changes being made.

So, how can Samsung put an unlocked bootloader on the phone without it being signed? When you start with empty hardware you can essentially put any software you want on the phone, there is nothing there preventing it, but once you put a locked bootloader on the phone if will then check every single piece of software you try to flash to the phone.

TL;DR Think of the hardware as an empty room. You can put anything you want in the room to start with, but if the first thing you put in the room is a door with a lock, then the only things you can put in the room from then on are things that have a key to that lock.

Last edited:

solokiller11

May 1, 2014
Evron
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
The just flash it to the phone. To simplify the way the bootloader works, it is the first thing that loads when you power on the phone, it then tells the phone what other pieces of software to load (aboot, sbl, kernel, etc.).

With an unlocked bootloader, it does just that, it loads the next piece of software during the booting of the phone. With a locked bootloader, the bootloader checks the signature of the next piece of software to load, if the signature matches the signature that the bootloader expects then the next piece of software loads. If the signature doesn't match, then booting stops.

When you flash something to the phone using Odin (currently the way you flash bootloaders), with an unlocked bootloader Odin will flash it. But with a locked bootloader, the bootloader checks the signature of the file you are trying to flash and if they match then it can be flashed, if it doesn't match then the flash aborts without any changes being made.

So, how can Samsung put an unlocked bootloader on the phone without it being signed? When you start with empty hardware you can essentially put any software you want on the phone, there is nothing there preventing it, but once you put a locked bootloader on the phone if will then check every single piece of software you try to flash to the phone.

TL;DR Think of the hardware as an empty room. You can put anything you want in the room to start with, but if the first thing you put in the room is a door with a lock, then the only things you can put in the room from then on are things that have a key to that lock.

Hi man Thank you very very much for the explanation about the bootloaders and i think i gonna install the carbon rom :)

Reactions: oori002

mythi

Mar 1, 2013
Amman

To answer you question, theoretically you should be able to flash the i537 firmware on your i9295, but you will end up with a locked bootloader and no way to revert it. Your phone would still work and you'd still be able to use it, but it would be locked down so that you'd only be able to use AT&T firmware. If you really want 4.4 on your phone, I suggest you flash one of the custom ROMs in the development section.

If you still really want the 4.4.2 firmware on your phone, I'd be more than happy to trade my i537 for your i9295. This is a great phone and works great in every respect, I only wish it had an unlocked bootloader like the i9295. If I could do it all over again I would have bought the i9295 instead.

NONONONONONONO ... never ever i say never ever repeat what u said in here ... flashing a other devices bootloader will destroy your phone and you will need something called jig to fix it ... this happens because every device that sammy realeses has a private key for certain partitions on the mmc like the bootloader the rbm etc ... flashing other devices partitions even if the share the same hardware (yes) even if they are from the same family will kill your phone and you will end with a paper that need 200$ service . i request you to edit your comment since alot of the people here are noobs or have little knowelge .

Reactions: Devo7v
NONONONONONONO ... never ever i say never ever repeat what u said in here ... flashing a other devices bootloader will destroy your phone and you will need something called jig to fix it ... this happens because every device that sammy realeses has a private key for certain partitions on the mmc like the bootloader the rbm etc ... flashing other devices partitions even if the share the same hardware (yes) even if they are from the same family will kill your phone and you will end with a paper that need 200$ service . i request you to edit your comment since alot of the people here are noobs or have little knowelge .

I'm going to edit my post, but I'm also going to disagree with you. Back when I had a Samsung Captivate you were able to flash Galaxy S i9000 ROMs with some minor tweaks. Inadvertently I accidentally flashed an i9000 one-click to my i897. The flash finished and my was messed up, but not so bad that it made the phone unusable (i.e. buttons were mapped incorrectly and the display was inverted). I discovered I had installed an i9000 bootloader on my phone because the partitions were different and I couldn't boot the phone after flashing i897 stock firmware. The only way I could get stock firmware back on my phone was to flash i897 bootloaders which lead me to believe that my phone had the i9000 bootloader on it. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe Samsung has changed the way things work in the past 4 years, but I do not believe this was always the case.

That said, I will make sure that everybody understands that they could brick their phone if they flash a different bootloader.

mythi

Mar 1, 2013
Amman
I'm going to edit my post, but I'm also going to disagree with you. Back when I had a Samsung Captivate you were able to flash Galaxy S i9000 ROMs with some minor tweaks. Inadvertently I accidentally flashed an i9000 one-click to my i897. The flash finished and my was messed up, but not so bad that it made the phone unusable (i.e. buttons were mapped incorrectly and the display was inverted). I discovered I had installed an i9000 bootloader on my phone because the partitions were different and I couldn't boot the phone after flashing i897 stock firmware. The only way I could get stock firmware back on my phone was to flash i897 bootloaders which lead me to believe that my phone had the i9000 bootloader on it. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe Samsung has changed the way things work in the past 4 years, but I do not believe this was always the case.

That said, I will make sure that everybody understands that they could brick their phone if they flash a different bootloader.

Well the captivate is another story the developers got a leak of a signed rbm of the chipset of (i suspect) the humming bird chipset ... when you have something like that minor modifications can be done ... the same happened a while ago with some 8xx and i not sure of the 6xx -which runs in our phones- the leaked rbm would help devs to make other variants easily compatible in the low level side .

bootloaders :good:are also different story ... each and every device these days has a private key as i said earlier this key gets checked before booting by something in chipset (hardware side) and if key mismatch the device will enter a qcom mode for debugging etcetcetcetc........

trust me you don't want to brick a 600$ for simply to flash a bootloader :good:

Well the captivate is another story the developers got a leak of a signed rbm of the chipset of (i suspect) the humming bird chipset ... when you have something like that minor modifications can be done ... the same happened a while ago with some 8xx and i not sure of the 6xx -which runs in our phones- the leaked rbm would help devs to make other variants easily compatible in the low level side .

bootloaders :good:are also different story ... each and every device these days has a private key as i said earlier this key gets checked before booting by something in chipset (hardware side) and if key mismatch the device will enter a qcom mode for debugging etcetcetcetc........

trust me you don't want to brick a 600$ for simply to flash a bootloader :good:

Thanks for the info. So here a related question, what would happen if you took an i9295 with 4.2.2 on it and flashed the i537 4.2.2 firmware minus the bootloader? Would it fail to boot due to partitioning or would it work?

solokiller11

May 1, 2014
Evron
Samsung Galaxy Note 20

hi man i dont think you right because my last phone was xtreamer joyz which is the exact same phone as the newman n2 and i could install both official framewere with no problem and those two phones have the exact same specs and also the i537 and the i9295 so i think it should work just fine.

but my knowelge isnt good as yours so correct me if im wrong here but i think it should work :)

EDIT: I still asking my question but also joining to Devo7v question about what will happen.

Last edited:

mythi

Mar 1, 2013
Amman
Thanks for the info. So here a related question, what would happen if you took an i9295 with 4.2.2 on it and flashed the i537 4.2.2 firmware minus the bootloader? Would it fail to boot due to partitioning or would it work?

If we get a way of unlocking the bootloader we can do this ... I will explain further ...

A stock Sammy ROM comes in the form of a tar.md5 package the .md5 part holds the signature of Sammy , this signature is a type of code that makes the bootloader understand that this package is a signed one with a Sammy key ... When we take the bootloader out of The package (sbl1.bin , sbl2.bin and sbl3.bin) we have to take other parts such as the rbm after taking these we have to repackage the remaining parts in a new tar package ... After doing this we can sign it with an md5 key but this key will give missmatch errors during flash so we have to get the keys of Sammy ... Even if we find those we will have find away to unlock the bootloader to unlock more things

solokiller11

May 1, 2014
Evron
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
If we get a way of unlocking the bootloader we can do this ... I will explain further ...

A stock Sammy ROM comes in the form of a tar.md5 package the .md5 part holds the signature of Sammy , this signature is a type of code that makes the bootloader understand that this package is a signed one with a Sammy key ... When we take the bootloader out of The package (sbl1.bin , sbl2.bin and sbl3.bin) we have to take other parts such as the rbm after taking these we have to repackage the remaining parts in a new tar package ... After doing this we can sign it with an md5 key but this key will give missmatch errors during flash so we have to get the keys of Sammy ... Even if we find those we will have find away to unlock the bootloader to unlock more things

I have to say that i didn't really understand why i cant install the official samsung i537 over the official samsung i9295 because the both signed by Samsung.

like if i have flashed the i9295 4.2.2 official stock on my i9295 so i can flash the i537 4.4.2 official stock no? they both have the Samsung key no?

mythi

Mar 1, 2013
Amman
I have to say that i didn't really understand why i cant install the official samsung i537 over the official samsung i9295 because the both signed by Samsung.

like if i have flashed the i9295 4.2.2 official stock on my i9295 so i can flash the i537 4.4.2 official stock no? they both have the Samsung key no?

So u have a gt-i9295 :eek::eek: i thought you have i537 :crying::crying: any way that can be possible as i did it already just wait and you will get it ... i have ensured it won't brick any phone but wifi and camera are not working :cowboy:

solokiller11

May 1, 2014
Evron
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
So u have a gt-i9295 :eek::eek: i thought you have i537 :crying::crying: any way that can be possible as i did it already just wait and you will get it ... i have ensured it won't brick any phone but wifi and camera are not working :cowboy:

Hi thank you very much for your answer :laugh:.
And if I will choose to install the i537 4.4.2 on my i9295 do you know if i can fix the camera and the wifi?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To answer you question, theoretically you could flash the i537 firmware on your i9295, but you will most likely end up with a bricked phone because bootloaders are only compatible with their intended models. So the i537 bootloader will only work with the i537 and will brick the i9295.

If you still really want the i537 4.4.2 firmware on your phone, I'd be more than happy to trade my i537 for your i9295. This is a great phone and works great in every respect, I only wish it had an unlocked bootloader like the i9295. If I could do it all over again I would have bought the i9295 instead.

When you flash something to the phone using Odin (currently the way you flash bootloaders), with an unlocked bootloader Odin will flash it. But with a locked bootloader, the bootloader checks the signature of the file you are trying to flash and if they match then it can be flashed, if it doesn't match then the flash aborts without any changes being made.

Hi man Thank you very very much for the explanation about the bootloaders and i think i gonna install the carbon rom :)