Can only lock screen using 'password' all other options are not available

Search This thread

rpdmatt

Jul 20, 2012
This is for the US Cellular Galaxy S3.

Recently I had encrypted my phone and the Galaxy forced me to use a password for my lock screen, which is fine; I wouldn't expect it to allow any less secure method, but I have since unencrypted the device and still find myself unable to change my lock screen preferences. When I go into Settings>Security>Screen Lock I am prompted to confirm my password and then I am presented with the alternative screen lock options. The problem is that everything is greyed out except for the Password option. Every other screen lock method is greyed and says 'Disabled by administrator, encryption policy, or credential storage' and I can't select anything.

I just want to change back to a PIN but it won't let me :(

I have tried going into 'Device Administrators' to clear something out or just see what I could do in there and there are no device administrators available. Also, I have tried the 'Clear credentials' option, to no avail.

I'm running stock 4.0.4 ROM, rooted.

nlanter95

Oct 1, 2011

Recently I had encrypted my phone and the Galaxy forced me to use a password for my lock screen, which is fine; I wouldn't expect it to allow any less secure method, but I have since unencrypted the device and still find myself unable to change my lock screen preferences. When I go into Settings>Security>Screen Lock I am prompted to confirm my password and then I am presented with the alternative screen lock options. The problem is that everything is greyed out except for the Password option. Every other screen lock method is greyed and says 'Disabled by administrator, encryption policy, or credential storage' and I can't select anything.

I have tried going into 'Device Administrators' to clear something out or just see what I could do in there and there are no device administrators available. Also, I have tried the 'Clear credentials' option, to no avail.

I had that issue before, but clearing the credentials fixed it for me. It happened after i installed a VPN. You may want to just wipe your phone and go fresh.

Reactions: mcw3118

Sycobob

Aug 30, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
There's an option to encrypt the contents of your phone (under Security, I think). If that's enabled for some reason, it might force you to use the most secure option.

rpdmatt

Jul 20, 2012
There's an option to encrypt the contents of your phone (under Security, I think). If that's enabled for some reason, it might force you to use the most secure option.

The phone had already been decrypted by the time I was trying to change the screen lock.

Interestingly the options came available after I decrypted the SD card that I had in the phone. The only reason I didn't do this before was because I had initially taken the SD card out of the phone thinking that would alleviate me of any restrictions that it might be causing regarding the lock screen, or anything else for that matter.

AndroidUser133

Sep 12, 2013
lock screen options greyed out

ANSWER
I had this problem on my S3 (firmware ver 4.4.2) recently when I set up a VPN connection and I was forced to change from a pattern screen lock to a 4-digit pin lock. After testing and removing the VPN connection I could not change my screen lock back to pattern because nearly all screen lock options were greyed out. After hours of calls to Verizon and Samsung I found a solution that worked for me.

Go to Settings\Application Manager.
Slide the column headings to view ALL.
Scroll down to the apps that start with S, and look for the app SECURITY POLICY UPDATES. Tap it to open its settings. Then tap CLEAR CACHE. Next tap CLEAR DATA.
Restart your device.
Go to Settings/Lock Screen and all the previously greyed out lock screen options should no longer be greyed out.

Game Of Love

Jan 30, 2009
go setting === security ==> install from device storage==> press over the registered email and download

it will be fixed :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I had that issue before, but clearing the credentials fixed it for me. It happened after i installed a VPN. You may want to just wipe your phone and go fresh.