[Root] How to Root T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999!

Search This thread

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
they will when there out for our model, used them many times on gs2.

Not to be nit-picky but the ebay listing you posted clearly states:

"This USB jig can only bring your phones into Download Mode. It CANNOT reset your phone binary counter and remove yellow triangle.." right above the instructions for the jig.

darren.wlsn1

Jul 14, 2008
Hershey PA
Not to be nit-picky but the ebay listing you posted clearly states:

"This USB jig can only bring your phones into Download Mode. It CANNOT reset your phone binary counter and remove yellow triangle.." right above the instructions for the jig.

ya i missed that but in my defense i came from cdma side and it still resets counter on my gs2. lol

shiftdsme

May 19, 2008
Disconnect the USB Cable

I was having an issue getting into CWM recovery but the problem seemed to be that I still had the the USB cable plugged in. So unplug the USB cable and you should be good to go.

Reactions: bfuller181

brfield

Apr 21, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
WARNING: I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS

If I am not mistaking, couldn't ODIN be run in Lunix under Wine? If not, there is always the option of a Virtual OS in Linux, just use a lightweight version of Win 2003 or XP maybe?

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
Launching Recovery

FYI -I am using the TMOBILE Samsung SIII - initially, I struggeled getting into Recovery - after a bunch of trial and error I found the only method that works for me is: Hold Volume Up/Power/Home simultaneiously - release all three as soon asthe words "Samsung" (in block letters) flashes once - a second of two later you will see Samsung in a fancier type face - screen goes dark once more and then you are in CWM.
WHen I tried launching recovery any other way I coudn't get there - the phone would either turn off completely or it would boot simply launch the normal start up.

I didn't know if others had the same issue as I did when they first tried launching recovery so I thought I would share -

Last edited:

darren.wlsn1

Jul 14, 2008
Hershey PA
FYI -I am using the TMOBILE Samsung SIII - initially, I struggeled getting into Recovery - after a bunch of trial and error I found the only method that works for me is: Hold Volume Up/Power/Home simultaneiously - release all three as soon asthe words "Samsung" (in block letters) flashes once - a second of two later you will see Samsung in a fancier type face - screen goes dark once more and then you are in CWM.
WHen I tried launching recovery any other way I coudn't get there - the phone would either turn off completely or it would boot simply launch the normal start up.

I didn't know if others had the same issue as I did when they first tried launching recovery so I thought I would share -

its in the vid posted but ya tmo has odd process compared to other carriers but its easy if you just release power after sammy screen shows.

Reactions: MLB1949

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Sorry for being a newb to Samsung phones, but this method will trip flash counter, correct? And as of right now there is no other way to root without tripping it, right? But, there is a method being built that will either not trip it in the first place, or reset it back to -0-?

darren.wlsn1

Jul 14, 2008
Hershey PA
Sorry for being a newb to Samsung phones, but this method will trip flash counter, correct? And as of right now there is no other way to root without tripping it, right? But, there is a method being built that will either not trip it in the first place, or reset it back to -0-?

it does trip counter but i have returned with it tripped on many phones and sammy/sprint/tmo never said anything. im sure sometime soon we can reset now that all variants are out.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

nice simple way to do all.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1746682

eff0rtless

Jun 17, 2010
Seattle
all worked great. Only thing I noticed was that i couldn't boot into recovery unless the phone was off. Maybe it's just me but in the vid it looks like he did it while the phone was on..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a video tutorial for how to root T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, specifically for T-Mobile.

For T-Mobile, you will have to get into CWM recovery by holding down Volume Up + Center + Power button, then let go of Power button upon reset, a small difference between other U.S. Galaxy S3s but I see most people are having trouble with just getting into recovery after flashing with ODIN so here's a noob-proof video:

Download:
    http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyS3Sprint/rooting/GalaxyS3RootSprint.zip

Credits to NoobNL who posted this root method first on XDA.
    Linux/Mac tutorial coming...

Linux/Mac tutorial coming...
    Yes |

Finally Seeing Zedomax High on Android | awesome is. Love you man no homo! U d best at Android Reviews.

By the way wrong section buddy!
    For anyone having trouble getting root after recent update:
    Q: I don’t get ClockworkMod Recovery like you do, just get Android with belly open.
    A: If you’ve updated to newer software update, the stock OS will over-write ClockworkMod Recovery on reboot. To fix this, make sure “auto-reboot” is checked off in ODIN, then take the battery out when it’s done flashing in ODIN. Then enter ClockworkMod Recovery right away.

This worked for me. I didn't take the battery out though. I just held power til the phone turned off > then hold up, menu, and power to go right into recovery.
    Launching Recovery