NEW Samsung Tab S5e 10.5inch AMOLED with Android 9 Pie

Search This thread

DaWeav

Sep 8, 2009
Finally, something to upgrade from my original Android 6 Tab S 10.5! I'm guessing this quick Tab S5e release so soon after the Tab S4 is probably because the Tab S4 hasn't been a big hit. I also believe the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor is definitely an upgrade from the Tab S4 anyway. I just don't see where they put the fingerprint sensor. Is it in the same place as the Tab S1 10.5, or is it in the place where the Tab S2 and Tab S3 have it. Anyway, I'm standing by for this one to be available.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung...2057&cjevent=5cf141ec312a11e983ae00ef0a1c0e14

Update: Apparently the fingerprint sensor in in the side power button. Interesting...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: lytoh

lytoh

Jul 7, 2016
Finally, something to upgrade from my original Android 6 Tab S 10.5! I'm guessing this quick Tab S5e release so soon after the Tab S4 is probably because the Tab S4 hasn't been a big hit. I also believe the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor is definitely an upgrade from the Tab S4 anyway. I just don't see where they put the fingerprint sensor. Is it in the same place as the Tab S1 10.5, or is it in the place where the Tab S2 and Tab S3 have it. Anyway, I'm standing by for this one to be available.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung...2057&cjevent=5cf141ec312a11e983ae00ef0a1c0e14

Update: Apparently the fingerprint sensor in in the side power button. Interesting...

If it were not for the provision of cameras in vertical format it would be a good option.

stigslim

This looks to be on my list. Have been looking at the S4 but at odds with the price. Fingers crossed it ticks all the boxes (camera position not an issue for me) and can get a keyboard for it and i will probably go for it.

Reactions: ankit360

Akopps

Jan 19, 2015
But it has no headphone jack. Blah. I'd rather wait and buy a used Tab S4 than reward Samsung bean counters for such stupid behavior.

lytoh

Jul 7, 2016
I am happy with my tabs t800, the motherboard is starting to fail but for $ 40 on AliExpress I have a tablet for 4 more years ?

stigslim

I have to admit, i have had my T800 since pretty much launch. Its been used daily and took everything i have thrown at it (and it still does). Makes me wonder if a brand new S4 would offer the same?. Its one of those products that never really gets matched, so a good replacement is probably pie in the sky. Nothing lasts forever.

G

GuestD0578

Does the Tab S5e have UFS or eMMC storage?

I have the Tab S 8.4"; and I was looking for a larger device: Tab S4 is too expensive for 4G ram. I was wondering if I should wait for this to come out or get a refurbished Tab S 10.5 from Amazon.

lytoh

Jul 7, 2016
I have to admit, i have had my T800 since pretty much launch. Its been used daily and took everything i have thrown at it (and it still does). Makes me wonder if a brand new S4 would offer the same?. Its one of those products that never really gets matched, so a good replacement is probably pie in the sky. Nothing lasts forever.

In my case I do not plan to change it, if one day I die I change the motherboard .. it is easy to change and cheap ($ 40), also when the developers fix the camera failure lineageos we will have 15.1 and 16. I now have RRemix 7.1.2 and I'm perfect.

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Does the Tab S5e have UFS or eMMC storage?

I have the Tab S 8.4"; and I was looking for a larger device: Tab S4 is too expensive for 4G ram. I was wondering if I should wait for this to come out or get a refurbished Tab S 10.5 from Amazon.

I should have UFS .. But I would not even think about it ... precisely the big problem with the tabs is the failure in the EMMC.

stigslim

The only real issue i have with my Tab S is performance. Still running everything as stock, would you recommend Rooting and a custom Rom?. stick to what i have if i can make it a bit sharper, just seems a bit tired.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

In my case I do not plan to change it, if one day I die I change the motherboard .. it is easy to change and cheap ($ 40), also when the developers fix the camera failure lineageos we will have 15.1 and 16. I now have RRemix 7.1.2 and I'm perfect.

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

I should have UFS .. But I would not even think about it ... precisely the big problem with the tabs is the failure in the EMMC.
Sorry for the repost, just curious as to what you think?

G

GuestD0578

The only real issue i have with my Tab S is performance. Still running everything as stock, would you recommend Rooting and a custom Rom?. stick to what i have if i can make it a bit sharper, just seems a bit tired.

My performance issues stemmed from Firefox. I replaced it with a Chromium-based browser - Brave Browser specifically - and I'm good with interactive-1.3GHz.

You can try rooting, uninstalling the bloat (Knox, Hancom, Kids Mode and some more), tweak your Low Memory Killer (the default LMK for Marshmallow keeps a significant ram unused). When you occasionally need high performance, you can change the cpu governer to performance, or userspace with 900Hz as low. Note that both of these will consume a ton of battery when the device is idle.

In my experience, I tried Nougat custom ROM, but still preferred the stability (Xodo in particular) and camera of the stock ROM, besides the fact that the stock rom rotates the screen in under 2 sec, while custom ROMs require about 3 sec for screen rotation.

I also discovered that if you have the exynos chipset with BIG.little, then the per-clock performance (and overall power consumption) of the BIG cores is about 50% more than the little cores. And I am currently happy with the little cores alone! It's also the case, that I keep the device plugged in like a laptop. So, the device isn't going to get out-dated any time in the next 2 years either, for the basic use cases of reading and browsing!

lytoh

Jul 7, 2016
My performance issues stemmed from Firefox. I replaced it with a Chromium-based browser - Brave Browser specifically - and I'm good with interactive-1.3GHz.

You can try rooting, uninstalling the bloat (Knox, Hancom, Kids Mode and some more), tweak your Low Memory Killer (the default LMK for Marshmallow keeps a significant ram unused). When you occasionally need high performance, you can change the cpu governer to performance, or userspace with 900Hz as low. Note that both of these will consume a ton of battery when the device is idle.

In my experience, I tried Nougat custom ROM, but still preferred the stability (Xodo in particular) and camera of the stock ROM, besides the fact that the stock rom rotates the screen in under 2 sec, while custom ROMs require about 3 sec for screen rotation.

I also discovered that if you have the exynos chipset with BIG.little, then the per-clock performance (and overall power consumption) of the BIG cores is about 50% more than the little cores. And I am currently happy with the little cores alone! It's also the case, that I keep the device plugged in like a laptop. So, the device isn't going to get out-dated any time in the next 2 years either, for the basic use cases of reading and browsing!

I do not have any problem with the rotation in nougat .. and I use the Gcam for the photos I do not return to the stock ROM to me it goes better to me nougat in every way .. battery, performance etc.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Sorry for the repost, just curious as to what you think?

What do I think about lineage 15 and 16? has been said by the developers that are working on it (darkexistance)

stigslim

I do not have any problem with the rotation in nougat .. and I use the Gcam for the photos I do not return to the stock ROM to me it goes better to me nougat in every way .. battery, performance etc.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

What do I think about lineage 15 and 16? has been said by the developers that are working on it (darkexistance)
Yes lineage is what I was thinking of. Cleaner Rom better performance is what I figured, is there anything in particular you would recommend?

lytoh

Jul 7, 2016
Yes lineage is what I was thinking of. Cleaner Rom better performance is what I figured, is there anything in particular you would recommend?

I use RRemix which is based on lineage 7.1.2 but with more customization, to improve the sound use dolby atmos since it is a bit lower than the stock, for the camera I use Gcam, as Launcher I use Nova and I have the animations deactivated in options of developer, and the keyboard I use the Gboard in black. The gapps use the peak version without Google assistant that only consumes RAM .. This way I am very fluid and with more than 1.5gb free of RAM, in summary it is fluid with little battery consumption and without heating. Perfect.
Remix is ​​updated every 2 days with the improvements that come in lineageos and always has the latest security patch.
ROM:https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/orig-development/rom-resurrection-remix-n-sm-t800-wifi-t3606243
Extra to improve the sound of RR I recommend flashing for twrp dolby atmos, automatically disables the Audiofx and it shows a lot the improvement in quality and volume.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zap18pcsu1c1zfd/dap_r6.5.zip
I also recommend using GCam has better quality than the RR stock.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/dl7p89wbr74tmp4/com.google.android.GoogleCamera-2.7.008.apk

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Last edited:

stigslim

I use RRemix which is based on lineage 7.1.2 but with more customization, to improve the sound use dolby atmos since it is a bit lower than the stock, for the camera I use Gcam, as Launcher I use Nova and I have the animations deactivated in options of developer, and the keyboard I use the Gboard in black. The gapps use the peak version without Google assistant that only consumes RAM .. This way I am very fluid and with more than 1.5gb free of RAM, in summary it is fluid with little battery consumption and without heating. Perfect.
Remix is ​​updated every 2 days with the improvements that come in lineageos and always has the latest security patch.
ROM:https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/orig-development/rom-resurrection-remix-n-sm-t800-wifi-t3606243
Extra to improve the sound of RR I recommend flashing for twrp dolby atmos, automatically disables the Audiofx and it shows a lot the improvement in quality and volume.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zap18pcsu1c1zfd/dap_r6.5.zip
I also recommend using GCam has better quality than the RR stock.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/dl7p89wbr74tmp4/com.google.android.GoogleCamera-2.7.008.apk

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

I leave a clip for you to see fluency ... logically in screen recording it does not look as good as in reality.

https://youtu.be/8r2_RJ-npck
Yes that's more like it. Much snappier than my stock, thanks for the links. Will definitely be rooting and loading a better Rom.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

xdapao3

Oct 31, 2008
I am waiting for a tablet from Samsung with a bigger display than 10.5". They pioneered 12" tablets (I am still sorely missing my Note Pro) and they have left this segment to Apple...

I liked the S4 (after the stupid 4:3 aspect ratio of the S2 and the S3) but the virtual buttons (which I don't mind at all by themselves) in the same 10.5" display size mean that the actual usable real estate is most of the times actually smaller than my Tab S 10.5 LTE.

About the S5e, I *hate* the metal back. Glass is OK, soft/rubberized polycarbonate (like in the S1) is the ideal, both in tablets and smartphones.
All in all, the S5e is a quite good tablet (good specs and features, great display and weight etc) at a pretty good price (especially in a few months) but due to its size and the metal back I am not getting it.

I am just glad that the S1 is unbelievably still going strong (acceptable performance, which were never really great anyway, and SOT still a tad over 4 hours after more than 4.5 years!).
If I were forced to replace it before something really suitable finally comes along I would most probably get an S4 or S5e, depending on their price at the moment.

gbeardmore

Mar 15, 2011
Stoughton, WI
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Root for Galaxy Tab S5e?

I haven't had a Samsung Android device since I got my Google Nexus 10 in what, 2012 I think. Is there any chance there will be a forum page created and development started for my newly acquired Galaxy Tab S5e?

I'm really not used to having a non-rooted device! The bundled crapware alone makes me a bit crazy...

Thanks!

Reactions: matthewgwilt

Akopps

Jan 19, 2015
I just saw an S5e at Best Buy. The form factor is excellent. It sucks it doesn't have a headphone jack though. I can see myself buying one of these tablets if they work fine (someone already reported issues with WiFi antenna). It's about time. The Tab S is just too slow for anything but streaming video.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    actually, the moral of the story is dont believe anything you read on the internet!
    I bet the amazon model does have it; if its cheaper than BB, I would buy that one first, you can always return it to Amazon if it somehow doesnt have gps..
    I own the Tab S5e very fast and very smooth too I don't care about the headphone jack I have bluetooth headphones and comes with dongle is fine for me. not as good performance as new IPAD Pro you paying twice as much for the device too for better performance. S5E is solid device and it works very well including wifi is fine for me not bad at all. gaming is enjoyable too I'm not paying Pub G i'm playing Marvel Super Heroes its running very smooth. Sound Quality is excellent too. This is far the best tablet I've used I used Huawei Mediapad m5 I didn't like the icons are so big I ended up returning it. I love the Dex Feature like Laptop.

Battery Life:
    I went all day with it and still had 50% battery life left....
    yep, tablets rarely, if ever, have wifi as fast as a phone..
    I have a gig connection at home, meaning the fastest wifi I can expect is around 500 mb, which I get on my one plus 6t; this tablet gets around 232 mb at home, more than enough for ANYTHING I would ever want to do with it..
    This looks to be on my list. Have been looking at the S4 but at odds with the price. Fingers crossed it ticks all the boxes (camera position not an issue for me) and can get a keyboard for it and i will probably go for it.

Yes that's more like it. Much snappier than my stock, thanks for the links. Will definitely be rooting and loading a better Rom.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

you will not regret ?