[How to]Install Google Play on chinese ROM Galaxy S2 i9100G

Search This thread

chewee133

Jan 9, 2010
Hi all,

When buying your S2 in China, you while probably have the bad surprise to discover Google Play is not installed on the device.
Even by installing some .apk downloaded from the web doesn't solve the issue.

I managed to got mine working. Here's how i did.

I find the hint here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1351283

You'll need to Root your device first

Here's how it goes:
1) Install GoogleServicesFramework.apk
This seems to be the issue, as when you install it you can see the permissions Google requires, and pretty much says it can access ALL the data in your phone, even the private stuff. You've been warned. (what did you expect? it's still Google after all)
2) Install Google Play with any .apk you can find, as system app (see bellow):
Instructions (Thanks to Bandage)
-1. Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)
- 2. Open Root Explorer App, and navigate to the transferred .apk files
- 3. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk and install
- 4. When complete, click "Done" and return to the file location for Vending.apk
- 5. Long-press Vending.apk and select the "Move" option on pop-up menu
Navigate to /system/app folder
- 6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)
Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder
- 7. Long-press Vending.apk and select "Permissions" from pop-up menu
Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)
- 8. Install Vending.apk
- 9. Reboot device
3) Launch Google Play
You should now be able to input your account and login.
For the first login, you will probably need to turn on both Wifi and APN (also can try turning off Wifi and only use APN).

You can now browse the market, but still can not install any apps.

Final step: You'll need to send some e-mail to Google (go to google play web site -> help). Explain the problem, they need to allow Play to be used by your device.
Took me a couple e-mail to get it right. The google team was very kind open to help (unlike samsung).

Go ahead and install any app you want
I recommend starting by installing Market Unlocker (especially for those in China). It lets you get the market as if you where in another country.

Hope this has been useful.
And don't forget to press the Thanks button ;)

I actually did this a while ago (I wanted to try it out first before sharing). So i may be forgetting some specific points. Let me know how it turns out for you so i can update this How To.

Cheers

Chewee
May the force be with you

Last edited:

yangxiups

Mar 7, 2008
Thanks!
I tried many other ways, but they just would not work on my I9100G!
Just now I have tried this simple method and it works perfectly.
For me the final step is not necessary.
Thanks again!

kldoc

May 26, 2010
I did add all google services on my chinese G in november, i basically have all google services working, including calendar sync, and still on stock GB.
What i did was to take all the google apps from CM and put them in the system app folder with correct permissions.
But i remember i did setup gmail sync before getting google market (now play store) to work correctly.
For the calendar, only the sync adapter is needed, do not replace other apps, it's not needed.

shivaraman

Apr 3, 2012
Shenzhen, China
Hi all,

When buying your S2 in China, you while probably have the bad surprise to discover Google Play is not installed on the device.

I find the hint here

Here's how it goes:
This seems to be the issue, as when you install it you can see the permissions Google requires, and pretty much says it can access ALL the data in your phone, even the private stuff. You've been warned. (what did you expect? it's still Google after all)
-1. Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)
- 4. When complete, click "Done" and return to the file location for Vending.apk
- 8. Install Vending.apk
- 9. Reboot device
3) Launch Google Play
For the first login, you will probably need to turn on both Wifi and APN (also can try turning off Wifi and only use APN).

Final step: You'll need to send some e-mail to Google (go to google play web site -> help). Explain the problem, they need to allow Play to be used by your device.
Took me a couple e-mail to get it right. The google team was very kind open to help (unlike samsung).

I recommend starting by installing Market Unlocker (especially for those in China). It lets you get the market as if you where in another country.

I actually did this a while ago (I wanted to try it out first before sharing). So i may be forgetting some specific points. Let me know how it turns out for you so i can update this How To.

Cheers

Chewee

HI I followed the steps but at stage 3 after reboot I open google play it 'force closes' automatically. I cannot open play app. What may be the issue. This is Chinese phone, i also tried one of the market unlcker.. is there any specific version you can suggest ?
Ok now it opens google play and displays 'loading' but nothing appears. Funny that when I try to install it from website it says 'app will be sent/installed on your phone shortly' but nothing happens
I installed a market unlocker (some random one which configured my China phone for USA T-mobile - there are other countries i can configure for too)
Any guess what could be problem ?

Last edited:

toctan

Apr 7, 2012
Wuhan,Hubei,China
It's not the right way!!!

It seems to work properly, but it may cause some problem, frequent FC for example. And some apps even can't work, such as Foursquare, which you can have a try.It's not only the Google Play but also the whole gapps that are not included in the Chinese ROM. The GoogleServicesFramework.apk and GooglePlay.apk are just part of it, so this problem can't be solved by simply installing some apks.

The right way is to download the right gapps from this page: goo.im/gapps and flash it from CMW.To do that, you must flash a kernel first, such as superatoms, lucir.

Or, you can simply root your phone and decompress that zip file and move it to your phone to the right folder.Never forget to fix the permission. You'd better do that through adb.

kldoc

May 26, 2010
I can't agree with what you're saying. I have a chinese G and installed all google apps from Cyanogen wiki, with the exception of goggles, everything else work perfect ! Including Gmail with full sync, contacts with full sync,calendar with full sync, music working, books working etc ... Stock zcki1 rooted.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using XDA

Last edited:

TheActor

Mar 4, 2012
Ta

Thanx for the walkthrough. I got the market working but can't download. Will be contacting Google help soon.

lorinkundert

Nov 9, 2011
Shenzhen
ICS 4.0.4

They just released the ICS 4.0.4 ROM for China, that one also does not have any of the GAPPS, in addition some
service providers actively block Google services so installing GAPPS will do no good unless you set up a VPN

Hi all,

I find the hint here

Here's how it goes:
- 8. Install Vending.apk
- 9. Reboot device
3) Launch Google Play

Cheers

Chewee

chewee133

Jan 9, 2010
What permission are you talking about?
If you are talking about the root, their are a lot of threads talking about how to do it on xda, and all over the web.

Minnieeggs12

Jul 28, 2012
Hi all,

I find the hint here

Here's how it goes:
- 8. Install Vending.apk
- 9. Reboot device
3) Launch Google Play

Cheers

Chewee

I think I may need an 'idiots guide' to all this because I have no clue and no idea what flash and all thats means.... I brought my S2 online and had no idea it was coming from China and that it won't have Google Play on there.

I have tried the above steps but can't even get the 1st one right.. :/

I have tried downloading 'Google Service Framework.apk' from my phone and computer but everytime it tries to install it, it finishes by saying 'Application Not Installed'. Really getting very confused and need urgent help. Please can you let me know where I am going wrong? Many thanks.

chewee133

Jan 9, 2010
Seems you didn't root your phone.
But before doing anything, you should learn a little bit what you are about to do. There are several threads on root issues, or guides for begginers.
Also, double check if you have the i9100 or i9100G version. It's important when you root.

Reactions: Minnieeggs12

Minnieeggs12

Jul 28, 2012
But before doing anything, you should learn a little bit what you are about to do. There are several threads on root issues, or guides for begginers.
Also, double check if you have the i9100 or i9100G version. It's important when you root.

Thanks very much. Its the i9100. I'll try that. I used to think I was good with phones but after reading all this, I don't actually know jack all about them, lol!

Minnieeggs12

Jul 28, 2012

Just wondering about kernel version number too. Mine says '2.6.35.7-I9100'. Does this seem right? Thanks

chewee133

Jan 9, 2010
You are checking the android version. That's not what's important. What you need to check is to take the same kernel version and rom version called basedband version (may be the similar with the build number). For example i have the i9100gzcle2 version. There are some threads about this around here.

Reactions: Minnieeggs12

Minnieeggs12

Jul 28, 2012
You are checking the android version. That's not what's important. What you need to check is to take the same kernel version and rom version called basedband version (may be the similar with the build number). For example i have the i9100gzcle2 version. There are some threads about this around here.

You have been a great help. Thank you SO much! :D

shivaraman

Apr 3, 2012
Shenzhen, China
Help with some Apps after ICS

They just released the ICS 4.0.4 ROM for China, that one also does not have any of the GAPPS, in addition some
service providers actively block Google services so installing GAPPS will do no good unless you set up a VPN

Guys help me here plz.. I have a couple of issues,and cant find relevant info.
Background. I am usgin SGS2-I9100G (Chinese) flased with ICS 4.0.4 (baseband-I9100GZCLPG/kernel-3.08 se.infra@SEP-85 #2) (rooted with temp CWM)

1.Followed the above to get Google play working. Installed Market enabler (dint help much, just says market configured to t-mobile USA but still google play website shows China-unicom) I am not able to install many apps because of this
-Google My tracks
-FX currency converter
many others that I would like to use alternative apps are also giving same issue.

2.I am not able to get google account in the contacts. When I go into
Contacts > Properties > accounts> Add accounts I see only skype, tango, whatsapp. The same under "add accounts" It is not listing google. Is it supposed to in first place ?
if yes how can I get it?

3.I am not able to install Viber and Voxer even with Apk. It keeps saying "Application not installed" They both dint work on GB too.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

It seems to work properly, but it may cause some problem, frequent FC for example. And some apps even can't work, such as Foursquare, which you can have a try.It's not only the Google Play but also the whole gapps that are not included in the Chinese ROM. The GoogleServicesFramework.apk and GooglePlay.apk are just part of it, so this problem can't be solved by simply installing some apks.

The right way is to download the right gapps from this page: goo.im/gapps and flash it from CMW.To do that, you must flash a kernel first, such as superatoms, lucir.

Or, you can simply root your phone and decompress that zip file and move it to your phone to the right folder.Never forget to fix the permission. You'd better do that through adb.

@toctan can you plz help me with this.. which folder do u mean when you say "the right folder" ?? I am running ICS and my phone is rooted.

chewee133

Jan 9, 2010
Guys help me here plz.. I have a couple of issues,and cant find relevant info.
Background. I am usgin SGS2-I9100G (Chinese) flased with ICS 4.0.4 (baseband-I9100GZCLPG/kernel-3.08 se.infra@SEP-85 #2) (rooted with temp CWM)

1.Followed the above to get Google play working. Installed Market enabler (dint help much, just says market configured to t-mobile USA but still google play website shows China-unicom) I am not able to install many apps because of this
-Google My tracks
-FX currency converter
many others that I would like to use alternative apps are also giving same issue.

2.I am not able to get google account in the contacts. When I go into
Contacts > Properties > accounts> Add accounts I see only skype, tango, whatsapp. The same under "add accounts" It is not listing google. Is it supposed to in first place ?
if yes how can I get it?

3.I am not able to install Viber and Voxer even with Apk. It keeps saying "Application not installed" They both dint work on GB too.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

@toctan can you plz help me with this.. which folder do u mean when you say "the right folder" ?? I am running ICS and my phone is rooted.

Hi shivaraman.

I'm not sure i understand exactly what is your problem. Do you have Play installed? Can you install some apps with it? If yes, you're all good.

Market enabler is only going to help.you once you get Play working correctly. Market Enabler doesnt fix Play. It only simulate you are from another country, as if you changed your sim card.

I figured out this methode using android 2.3.6. There is no guaranty it works on ICS. I would suggest trying swiching back to 2.3.6 (if possible, it might be the hatdest part) and try the methode again. Play stays installed when upgrading to 4.0.4

A lot of apps are blocked due to the chinese ROM. Seem the bootloader is posing the problem and is locked. I still didnt find any solution for that. A couple month ago Odia started posting he may had a solution. But he never told what it was.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I find the hint here

Here's how it goes:
    - 8. Install Vending.apk
    - 9. Reboot device
    3) Launch Google Play

Cheers

Chewee