Extend EXT2 partition without losing data

Search This thread

willowen100

Jan 30, 2013
Hi guys,

I have a rooted HTC Wildfire S with a stock ROM and I have setup an 2nd partition formatted to EXT2, which I use for a really cool app called Link2SD.

Problem is I've underestimated an appropriate size for this 2nd partition and I'm come to the situation of having 10MB left. As I have a 32GB SD card I would like extend this partition, but without losing the data, is this possible?

I have ClockworkMOD as my recovery and this is what I used to initially partition the SD card. However, what I would like to know is if I will lose the data on both partitions of the card if I attempt to do this?

Much help appreciated,

Will

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA Free mobile app

shubhojit89

Sep 20, 2013
Hi guys,

I have a rooted HTC Wildfire S with a stock ROM and I have setup an 2nd partition formatted to EXT2, which I use for a really cool app called Link2SD.

Problem is I've underestimated an appropriate size for this 2nd partition and I'm come to the situation of having 10MB left. As I have a 32GB SD card I would like extend this partition, but without losing the data, is this possible?

I have ClockworkMOD as my recovery and this is what I used to initially partition the SD card. However, what I would like to know is if I will lose the data on both partitions of the card if I attempt to do this?

Much help appreciated,

Will

If you are on linux then your ext2 partition will be detected and you can see the contents inside it and backup it..

If on Windows there is a software called EXt2IFS something like that..

Install it.. It will be able to detect your ext partition.. Then you can backup..

Related to your extended partition thing..

Yes you have create partition again.. This will end up reformatting your card and partitioning again..

Reactions: m4p and willowen100

willowen100

Jan 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your reply. I have another question. When I tried to backup my EXT2 partition in the past for something else using Linux, it said I needed root permission. I managed to gain root access by right clicking on the enclosing folder and selecting open as root user option. However, when I tried to restore the contents back to the SD card all my linked app files that LinkSD made weren't working. How do I get around this if I decide to use Linux again?, Though if I use the Windows program, will I be able to get root access at all?

shubhojit89

Sep 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your reply. I have another question. When I tried to backup my EXT2 partition in the past for something else using Linux, it said I needed root permission. I managed to gain root access by right clicking on the enclosing folder and selecting open as root user option. However, when I tried to restore the contents back to the SD card all my linked app files that LinkSD made weren't working. How do I get around this if I decide to use Linux again?, Though if I use the Windows program, will I be able to get root access at all?

Well buddy seriously to say i wouldn't recommend to restore that ext partition.. As you are saying you want to restore your config of Link2sd.. Well to say it will not work cz the system links get disturbed due to removal of partition or modify..

well best to say i would recommend to take a backup of your ROM then partition the card..

Well to say i would recommend to you first switch off your phone.. Put it in card reader then partition it..

Restore the backup then see if it works.. I think you are on stock rom..

You can try this method:

1. Make a backup of your current ROM Using the recovery..

2. Switch off the phone then put it in card reader.. Re partition your card using card reader..

3. Then restore the backup..

See if this works..

Last edited:
Reactions: willowen100

willowen100

Jan 30, 2013
Well buddy seriously to say i wouldn't recommend to restore that ext partition.. As you are saying you want to restore your config of Link2sd.. Well to say it will not work cz the system links get disturbed due to removal of partition or modify..

well best to say i would recommend to take a backup of your ROM then partition the card..

Well to say i would recommend to you first switch off your phone.. Put it in card reader then partition it..

You can try this method:

2. Switch off the phone then put it in card reader.. Re partition your card using card reader..

See if this works..

Cheers pal. I will let you know how it goes later on, because I'm not near a PC at the moment to copy the nandroid backup from CWM to my HDD. I'd rather be extra safe and make a backup of a backup as the re-partition will most likely wipe the whole SD card.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

Much help appreciated,

Will

If you are on linux then your ext2 partition will be detected and you can see the contents inside it and backup it..

If on Windows there is a software called EXt2IFS something like that..

Install it.. It will be able to detect your ext partition.. Then you can backup..

Related to your extended partition thing..

Yes you have create partition again.. This will end up reformatting your card and partitioning again..

You can try this method:

See if this works..