[Guide] Quick And Dirty Return to 100% Stock for Evo 3D/V (S-OFF Only)

Search This thread

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
Well I see from your other posts you have been digging around. I think Unknownforce's ultimate downgrade tool thread is your best bet. It will work. And yes it does require Linux, but you can download the liveCd version which includes the needed Linux os. You just copy it to a bootable CD/thumb drive and boot it temporarily. If I recall you have do the "brick" the bootloader step twice for it to work which as I recall someone documented in Unknownforce's thread. Once you get the Main version and bootloader downgraded you will be able to run an earlier ruu for s-off or unlock.

Sent from my Up all Night Sleep all Day Nexus 5!

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 / S20+ / S20 Ultra
Well I see from your other posts you have been digging around. I think Unknownforce's ultimate downgrade tool thread is your best bet. It will work. And yes it does require Linux, but you can download the liveCd version which includes the needed Linux os. You just copy it to a bootable CD/thumb drive and boot it temporarily. If I recall you have do the "brick" the bootloader step twice for it to work which as I recall someone documented in Unknownforce's thread. Once you get the Main version and bootloader downgraded you will be able to run an earlier ruu for s-off or unlock.

Sent from my Up all Night Sleep all Day Nexus 5!

he has a couple guides
the one you were refering to is older i believe and he says is obsolete and say to use this CDMA guide
can you verify this is the correct one i need to follow?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1653777

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC

en11gma

Jan 18, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S20 / S20+ / S20 Ultra
Yes, that is the correct Ultimate Recovery Tool thread to use. It has worked for others in your situation (example). I am trying to find the actual reference to "Bricking it Twice".

i have been trying to brick it for like 10x
both ways too. with just battery sometimes and sometimes with power cord

cant seem to get it done
btw the phone only boots to the bootloader if i try and turn it on like a normal boot

mpgrimm2

Nov 5, 2011
Greenville, SC
i have been trying to brick it for like 10x
both ways too. with just battery sometimes and sometimes with power cord

cant seem to get it done
btw the phone only boots to the bootloader if i try and turn it on like a normal boot
Go ahead and continue any questions over in the Ultimate Recovery Tool thread to keep from cluttering this one up. I will add a few bits of info there.

BRK666

Jan 28, 2012
Hello guys, i have i evo 3d that it had the motherboard replaced and i managed to get the S-OFF throw Ultimate Recovery Tool 3.1 method thanks to @Unknownforce but now i want to unroot my Evo. I searched the forum and i found a lot of guides but i'm aware that the bootloader can't be unlocked because of the motherboard replacement, so the question is can i use this method even if my bootloader shows - Revolutionary- .
Status - Revolutionary-
Hboot: 1.49.1107
S-OFF

Sortilege

Jul 16, 2007
S.Florida. U.S.A
need to return my evo 3d sprint to stock. what is the link for the ruu? if not to stock i need the best custom romm that i can still use the 3d features

Last edited:

Sortilege

Jul 16, 2007
S.Florida. U.S.A
Any updated links on the best way to return my Sprint HTC Evo 3d to stock? The link in the OP for the ruu is not working. Also wondering if there is a simple faster method.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems like the questions about returning to 100% stock are coming up more often lately, possibly because more users are moving on to other devices. Whatever the reason, I thought a simple guide might be useful to avoid having to duplicate this info in other threads and PM's.

This procedure should work for any CDMA or GSM Evo 3D/V that is S-OFF. There is no way to get an S-ON device that has been HTC unlocked back to 100% stock since relocking the bootloader will result in a status of "relocked".

Here are the steps to do it:

1. Flash the "query_bootloader.zip" file attached to this post in recovery. If the status message shows your bootloader is "unlocked" or "relocked" flash the "lock_bootloader.zip" file from the same post to reset it to "locked".

2. Download an RUU.exe (Windows) or RUU.zip (bootloader) file for your model from this page and flash it using the appropriate method.

If you use the .exe version from Windows it works best if you put the phone into "fastboot USB" mode, and you may have to cancel the RUU utility and restart if it hangs after flashing the stock bootloader when you start with a custom hboot installed.

To flash the RUU.zip via the bootloader it must be renamed to PG86IMG.zip and placed in the root of your SD card, and may need to be flashed twice if a custom hboot is installed the first time it is flashed.

I recommend using the latest version for your model but any compatible RUU can be flashed while S-OFF. It's also a good idea to boot the ROM without doing any setup after flashing the RUU to make sure the ROM has been reset to the stock version.

3. Confirm that the bootloader shows "***LOCKED***" on the top line of the screen and the HBOOT version is a stock bootloader for your device.

4. Issue the "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" command from a PC.
    Note: Make 100% sure you have the stock bootloader installed before issuing this command or you will brick your phone.

Your phone will now be 100% stock.

ramjet73
    Thanks for the nice toturial but i´m just wondering one thing.
    If you fail with the command
    Code:
    fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
    , will your phone get hardbricked or is it possible to flash a recovery and start over again with fastboot?
    If that command fails nothing will happen and your phone will stay S-OFF but the odds of that happening are very small unless your phone is not in "fastboot usb" mode when you issue it.

The risk involves issuing that command when you have a custom hboot like JBear or Revolutionary installed because those bootloaders are not signed and will cause the phone to brick. In that scenario you would not be able to get into recovery.

ramjet73
    Ok, in the RUU's I can download I have 2 problems:

1) How do I know which one to download? I see a few that have Sprint ICS. I have the Virgin Mobile phone Evo V 4g. Which one would I get?
    This is the correct RUU for your phone.
    2) I have already tried downloading a few of them, and each time it stops at a different point and windows says the zip file is not valid. Is there another place I can download the correct RUU?
    If that link doesn't work for you the same RUU is available here, including an MD5 checksum you can use to verify the download.
    I need to get this done soon as I have a replacement headed this way.
    if you figure out how to get jb roms to boot post back so we all can know how

JB roms don't boot with this phone??? Strange since mine booted just fine with them.
    Does it work for EVO 3D GSM with Revolutionary?

Sorry for my english.
    Probably not, since ramjet said that in the OP.
    If he has Revolutionary and is S-OFF this guide should work as long as the RUU is available for the model of his phone. That's the only thing that is specific to the GSM or CDMA model.

ramjet73