[TOOL] [v3.2] [09NOV] Ubuntu Touch "system-image" Installer // w/o computers

Search This thread

Zittoro

Feb 26, 2013

# All credit goes to Ubuntu and contributors

ut-system-installer
I wanted to install Ubuntu Touch system-image (official, ro, OTA-enabled, for-sale-in-the-future) on my Galaxy Nexus, but there were some limitations and disadvantages to do so. It requires Ubuntu on my computer and completely wipes my device. Compared to cdimage-touch, which one can install easily with his/her phone, system-image is hard for some people to try, so I made a simple recovery-flashable zip with shell scripts to install it without computer and losing data. It downloads and installs system-image on your device(officially supported ones only).

What is does:
The same thing as doing
Code:
phablet-flash ubuntu-system --channel devel --no-backup
but without wiping the device, so
-Download files for installing Ubuntu Touch system-image (half-automatically)
-Install it on your device (supported ones by Canonical)

Supported Devices:
-Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro, toroplus)
-Nexus 7 (grouper, tilapia)
-Nexus 4 (mako)
-Nexus 10 (manta)

Downloads:
http://d-h.st/users/zittoro/ut
Do not use anything in wip folder.

* This will install a CWM-based recovery from Ubuntu, and your device could brick but will not be compensated. *
How-to:
1. Download the zip.

2. Unzip it in /sdcard/Download/ut

3. Move or copy ut-system-dl(read "Arguments for "ut-system-dl"" in second post for options) to /data. Then run the script with root(su). You can just type these in terminal instead of doing this step manually (You need busybox and su installed)
Code:
su
cp -a /storage/emulated/0/Download/ut/ut-system-dl /data
sh /data/ut-system-dl

4. Zip everything in /sdcard/Download/ut

5. Flash it in recovery and reboot recovery (Just use the default install menu at home if you are using special recoveries like MultiROM)

6. Enjoy Ubuntu Touch :)

Bug reports: post your /sdcard/Download/ut/ut-system.log, /cache/recovery/last_log, and copy of the error if possible

Last edited:

Zittoro

Feb 26, 2013
Changelogs:
Code:
[b]09NOV2013[/b]
v3.2
-Added official UT disclaimer link
-Cleaner code

[b]07NOV2013[/b]
v3.1
-Support for "generic customization" channels

[b]03NOV2013[/b]
v3
-Support for "*-customized" channels
-More consistent and easier way of configuring files names to download

v2.2
-Download the recovery image properly as saucy-named doesn't exist in the path anymore.  --Thanks to @pildoc for reporting.

[b]21OCT2013[/b]
v2.1
-Log file support to the installation script; still need recovery log because of "system-image-installer"
-Support for trusty-related channels
-Workaround for delta images when device files are the same
-Dropped support for old-channel device images
-Workaround for non-patched recoveries
-Show the actual device names rather than codenames to avoid confusion

[b]19OCT2013[/b]
v2
-Add support for deciding which build number to download --$4
-Fix delta image download
-Mount before extracting files

[b]18OCT2013[/b]
v1.2
-Fix for script error
-Aborts installation if script fails

v1.1
-Recovery installation fix; it wasn't moved to the correct path, my bad:(
-Added log file: ut-system.log

[b]16OCT2013[/b]
v1
-Initial

Arguments for "ut-system-dl":
-$1: -auto: default for script, automatically detects the device's codename using the value for "ro.build.product"
-DEVICE_NAME: images for DEVICE_NAME devices
-$2: -full: default for script, full images used for initial installation
-delta: delta images used for updates(OTA)
-$3: -CHANNEL: use CHANNEL channel to download images, default "devel"
-$4: -BUILD_NUMBER: build number of image

Last edited:

hockeyadc

Jun 4, 2009
Looks like your path is wrong? If its going into download/ut shouldn't it be:

su
cp -a /storage/emulated/0/download/ut /data
sh /data/ut-system-dl

Reactions: Zittoro

Zittoro

Feb 26, 2013
Actually, i just tried again and its working. 53 min ETA but its ok. When I zip this and flash it, does it remove my current recovery? How do I go back to my current rom in the future?

It installs a CWM-based recovery with some tweaks and workout for system-image installation. Since it doesn't even touch your system partition, you can just flash an android kernel and get back to android.

hockeyadc

Jun 4, 2009
It installs a CWM-based recovery with some tweaks and workout for system-image installation. Since it doesn't even touch your system partition, you can just flash an android kernel and get back to android.

Nice! That makes it pretty easy. Now we just need a way to dual boot lol. Perhaps a program that allows you to select android or ubuntu, and upon android selection it flashes a new kernel?

hockeyadc

Jun 4, 2009
Hey did you get it installed successfully? Some people in a different community say it doesn't. Did it boot into a new recovery when you rebooted it?

I haven't tried yet. I realized how many apps I need and use on a daily basis, so I would rather not install it yet. Just gonna wait it out until Ubuntu is more complete.

Reactions: Zittoro

Zittoro

Feb 26, 2013
Changelogs:
18OCT2013
v1.1
-Recovery installation fix; it wasn't moved to the correct path, my bad :(
-Added log file: ut-system.log

v1.2
-Fix for script error
-Aborts installation if script fails

Last edited:

subaash

Jun 13, 2011
Pearl of Orient
Blur

can you guys explain to me step by step in doing so. Sorry for being a noob. i want to learn how to so that i can help others and also improve my knowledge..

Zittoro

Feb 26, 2013
can you guys explain to me step by step in doing so. Sorry for being a noob. i want to learn how to so that i can help others and also improve my knowledge..

1. Download the zip from the link
2. Unzip it to the specified directory on your phone (you can do this with a file explorer app)
3. Download a terminal app and copy and paste the "code" into it.
4. If you get an error, post your /sdcard/Download/ut-system.log. If you don't, zip everything in the specified folder and flash it in recovery
5. Reboot recovery right after the installation

Zittoro

Feb 26, 2013
Changelogs:
19OCT2013
v2
-Add support for deciding which build number to download --$4
-Fix delta image download
-Mount before extracting files

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

# All credit goes to Ubuntu and contributors

ut-system-installer
    I wanted to install Ubuntu Touch system-image (official, ro, OTA-enabled, for-sale-in-the-future) on my Galaxy Nexus, but there were some limitations and disadvantages to do so. It requires Ubuntu on my computer and completely wipes my device. Compared to cdimage-touch, which one can install easily with his/her phone, system-image is hard for some people to try, so I made a simple recovery-flashable zip with shell scripts to install it without computer and losing data. It downloads and installs system-image on your device(officially supported ones only).

What is does:
    The same thing as doing
    Code:
    phablet-flash ubuntu-system --channel devel --no-backup
    but without wiping the device, so
    -Download files for installing Ubuntu Touch system-image (half-automatically)
    -Install it on your device (supported ones by Canonical)

Supported Devices:
    -Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro, toroplus)
    -Nexus 7 (grouper, tilapia)
    -Nexus 4 (mako)
    -Nexus 10 (manta)

Downloads:
    http://d-h.st/users/zittoro/ut
    Do not use anything in wip folder.

* This will install a CWM-based recovery from Ubuntu, and your device could brick but will not be compensated. *
    How-to:
    1. Download the zip.

2. Unzip it in /sdcard/Download/ut

3. Move or copy ut-system-dl(read "Arguments for "ut-system-dl"" in second post for options) to /data. Then run the script with root(su). You can just type these in terminal instead of doing this step manually (You need busybox and su installed)
    Code:
    su
    cp -a /storage/emulated/0/Download/ut/ut-system-dl /data
    sh /data/ut-system-dl

4. Zip everything in /sdcard/Download/ut

5. Flash it in recovery and reboot recovery (Just use the default install menu at home if you are using special recoveries like MultiROM)

6. Enjoy Ubuntu Touch :)

Bug reports: post your /sdcard/Download/ut/ut-system.log, /cache/recovery/last_log, and copy of the error if possible
    I got it downloaded & installed (the slow download was caused by my network) once I switched to my cellular provider it downloads in under 20 minutes. If it's installed inside my first ROMs data partition, which directories/files are required for a complete removal of UT?

This version with my tool:
    /data/system.img
    /data/SWAP.img
    /data/android-data
    /data/system-data
    /data/user-data
    /data/.last_ubuntu-build

The other version (ota disabled):
    /data/ubuntu
    /data/ubuntu_bak
    Looks like your path is wrong? If its going into download/ut shouldn't it be:

su
    cp -a /storage/emulated/0/download/ut /data
    sh /data/ut-system-dl
    Can you get a screenshot for me?

Actually, i just tried again and its working. 53 min ETA but its ok. When I zip this and flash it, does it remove my current recovery? How do I go back to my current rom in the future?
    tnx for nice script
    idk that you already know, but there is an error in 'ut-system-dl'

cfile24.uf.tistory.com/original/27415E445274D40F2156F2
    (i'm newbie here, so attaching external images are blocked by XDA, plz visit url above)

at recovery download section,
    cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled/current/saucy-preinstalled-recovery-armel+$device.img
    doesn't exist now

so i've changed to
    cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled/current/trusty-preinstalled-recovery-armel+$device.img