2 HTC batteries wired in parallel = 3400?

Search This thread

kiserian

Oct 16, 2006
I wanted to know you're thoughts on getting a second htc battery and wiring them in Parallel. (soldering them together) Should be same voltage just different capacity. Do you think it would work? Would it break anything? Only thing i was worried about is the overcharge protection in the individual batteries.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

life64x

Jul 19, 2010
San Diego
In parallel, voltage will stay the same amps will be added. In series, voyage will double, amps will stay the same. When you do this, voltage multiplied by power will give the power output. It should be okay to charge as one will stop charging. What I am thinking but could be wrong is that since the batteries have overcharge protection..in parallel, when one charges to full, the other one still will charge since there is not a broken connection say if it was in series. But only testing will see if they work.

Reactions: Excrucibo

kiserian

Oct 16, 2006
Im thinking / hoping it will charge both at the same rate, just 1/2 the speed, it would take twice as long though. It should be same charge time as say Seido Innocell 3400 mAh Super Extended Life Battery. I could get a second battery for $20. Where the 3400 and 4000 seido cost 70 and 75.
Basically trying to get the 3400 for $20 and 2 min solder time. Just wanted to know if it would ruin the built in protection.

life64x

Jul 19, 2010
San Diego
Im thinking / hoping it will charge both at the same rate, just 1/2 the speed, it would take twice as long though. It should be same charge time as say Seido Innocell 3400 mAh Super Extended Life Battery. I could get a second battery for $20. Where the 3400 and 4000 seido cost 70 and 75.
Basically trying to get the 3400 for $20 and 2 min solder time. Just wanted to know if it would ruin the built in protection.
The only damage might be from the heat of the solder gun. Those babbies, from what I seen are cmos chips very close to the connections of the terminal.

lionmane

Jun 25, 2011
Right Here
This is a bad idea. I mean it's just better if you shelve more money and get a bigger battery. Props to you if you find a convenient way of charging these batteries in parallel.

Sent from my 3D Beast

tgruendler

Jun 21, 2010
St. Louis, MO
My opinion:

You are taking a risk of ruining 2 batteries to save a couple bucks? Worst case scenario: You buy the extra battery ($20.00), you ruin both batteries, you have to replace your original battery now (another $20.00) so now you have already spent $40.00 and you are back at square one. Even if you figure out how to get it to work, you have to figure out how to mount the extra battery. For $65.00, you can get the Seidio 4k battery and backplate and not go through all the hassle.

But, it is my opinion, and if you do try this, I must see it on you tube :)

kellybrf

Nov 16, 2007
Google Pixel 8
how do you plan to fit these in the phone? an extended battery door is probably too small to fit two stock batteries, and how do you plan to make it fit with such a tight top to bottom clearance given that you now have extra length from soldering?

just buy an extra battery and battery charger, keep the spare in your pocket. no added bulk, no potentially messing up both batteries, no blowing anything up!

midri

Jun 7, 2010

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, NO NO NO NO

Lithium batteries have to be carefully charged if they are to low voltage or to high voltage they can explode into fire balls of pain and fury. DO NOT try to charge 2 cells with out a charger designed to charge multi cell batteries (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10473 is one available for fairly cheap) You will need to figure out pinning to get the 3 wires out (other then +/-) to properly charge the batteries.

Once again, DO NOT try to charge them in a normal charger you rig your self, it is incredibly dangerous and you ARE going to burn down your house.

Reactions: tygger

jinwu57

Oct 17, 2007
NJ
just order the 3500mah battery from fleabay...it's under $10 shipped and comes with the back door. Actually read somewhere that they just pretty much stack and wire two stock batteries together. I just ordered mine today...for the heck of it. :D

life64x

Jul 19, 2010
San Diego

Lithium batteries have to be carefully charged if they are to low voltage or to high voltage they can explode into fire balls of pain and fury. DO NOT try to charge 2 cells with out a charger designed to charge multi cell batteries (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10473 is one available for fairly cheap) You will need to figure out pinning to get the 3 wires out (other then +/-) to properly charge the batteries.

Once again, DO NOT try to charge them in a normal charger you rig your self, it is incredibly dangerous and you ARE going to burn down your house.
Not to start a flame but it is my understanding lithium batteries cannot be charged while Li- ion batteries can plus hold a charge per density greater then just lithium. Also with the overcharged protection in the baterries, any charge that was going to one battery will hence go to another.once both cell in each battery are full the phone or,smart wall charger will stop charging.. I don't agree with the op idea to try..it will result in a waste of batteries.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida

This ^^

Odds are you'll burn your house down. There is a lot more that is needed to safely charge Li-ion batteries than just plugging it in and running power through it.

bl8zeone360

Sep 5, 2009
york
I actually have 2 evo 3d batteries soldered together in my phone now and repacked. I've been using for 2 weeks now. I get the best battery life i have ever gotten. I'm a very heavy user. It can last me way over 20 hours with heavy use.
Before this battery I had 2 samsung galaxy s batteries soldered together. They were 1650 mah each. I have been doing this with all my phones for quite some time. You will get better battery life than most of the extended batteries that you can buy out there.

Reactions: D!T

EricSS619

Dec 13, 2008
San Diego
I actually have 2 evo 3d batteries soldered together in my phone now and repacked. I've been using for 2 weeks now. I get the best battery life i have ever gotten. I'm a very heavy user. It can last me way over 20 hours with heavy use.
Before this battery I had 2 samsung galaxy s batteries soldered together. They were 1650 mah each. I have been doing this with all my phones for quite some time. You will get better battery life than most of the extended batteries that you can buy out there.

How do you fit them in?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

bl8zeone360

Sep 5, 2009
york
Just buy the cheap extended battery from ebay and use the door from it. Get the one that doesn't have the hump.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This just sounds like a very bad idea... Please video tape it for us! :D
    In parallel, voltage will stay the same amps will be added. In series, voyage will double, amps will stay the same. When you do this, voltage multiplied by power will give the power output. It should be okay to charge as one will stop charging. What I am thinking but could be wrong is that since the batteries have overcharge protection..in parallel, when one charges to full, the other one still will charge since there is not a broken connection say if it was in series. But only testing will see if they work.