FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?

Yes.

214 Vote(s)
47.87%
No.

107 Vote(s)
23.94%
Haven't decided.

126 Vote(s)
28.19%

The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

1,941 posts
Thanks Meter: 632

By paleh0rse, Senior Member on 27th July 2012, 07:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th April 2013, 12:23 AM |#131  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
ouya
hard to say, will have to wait and see. it is interesting

9th April 2013, 05:42 PM |#132  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I think its important for Android Devs to pick it up and make better software/Custom Roms for it

From What I hear

The Ouya software has a lot of issues despite being simple and easy on the eyes.

It fails to deliver on Set Top Box potential in its current state based on all the current reviews

However it is an android device with solid hardware. If some Devs give it some life it could be a pretty darn good cord cutting alternative to more limiting devices like Apple TV without requiring the Money and Know How to setup a Raspberry Pi or HTPC (with frontend loaders) respectively.

I am a bit worried at how dead the XDA board is right now but i think that is mostly due to the fact that most people dont have their OUYA yet and I would be very surprised if any XDA devs dropped 500+ for a dev console
17th May 2013, 08:39 PM |#133  
Flag Poughkeepsie
Thanks Meter: 14

More
For the most part anything anyone is going to say on this topic is opinion and speculation. It's impossible to say what is going to happen to a product until it hits shelves. The originial XBOX was said to be "doomed" by quite a few sources, which obviously ended up not being the case. If the right game, or app, or some other piece of software comes out that creates a solid user base and draws the attention of more developers to the device it could do just fine.
17th May 2013, 09:30 PM |#134  
Flag Glendale, AZ
Thanks Meter: 45

More
I have my Ouya, my intentions were not just to have an little gaming console but something that is an Mutlimedia Console. I know a lot of people who aren't getting it for the gaming but because of it's small form factor, hdmi out, usb(usb hubs do work to expand, I've tested with USB storage, keyboard, mouse, SNES usb controller, all worked on 1 hub expansion), ethernet, built in wifi/bluetooth, you can do basically what most tablets/phones do but tie that into a home-user experience.

I wanted to be able to watch my collection of movies and TV shows over DLNA or UPNP. (Tested with XBMC, works good, need to do the DTS ffmpeg custom audio codec setup with XMBC)

I wanted to be able to play classic SNES, NES, Sega, N64 games on a big TV. (Already have 800+ SNES, 2k+ Nes, 100+ N64, 500+ Sega. Only SNES has been tested to work great with SNES9X emu)

I want to watch YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll on this thing too, but some of those apps have been said they were making Ouya verisons. (Netflix and Crunchyroll work with just plain sideloading, not optimized for TV tho, like UI wise, videos look fine tho. YouTube needs google service framework to work and I can't get it working correctly. I'm an novice when it comes to identifying logcat error.)

If you guys haven't noticed, this forum is pretty dead or very low discussion about games and other development, but at http://ouyaforum.com/forum.php , there are some pretty amazing games people are making and much more discussion about the console. I think XDA won't play an factor until we can secure an safe flash recovery(soonish) and we need kernel source to be able to make more customized ROMS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulenski For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Paulenski Ad-Free
20th May 2013, 07:31 PM |#135  
Thanks Meter: 449

More
IMO, I think the Ouya will be a commercial failure and also be challenged to generate revenue in their market model. To most people, one market is enough, and will not want apps that work on just one device.

For tinkerers and similar types it will be a hit, but not enough to keep it going as intended. JMO.
20th May 2013, 08:30 PM |#136  
Thanks Meter: 463

Donate to Me
More
This question is simply not answerable yet. The hardware has potential to be amazing, but it's the software that is holding it back. I know Ouya isn't making much money off the hardware, so they are going to be relying on their cut of the software revenue to remain profitable. They have made the console open, so with some developer interest theres a lot of things it will be able to do. But no matter how great the hacks for it will ever be, it's still not a selling point for 95% of consumers. If Ouya gets more software, official versions of 5 star games, video streaming apps, and social networking platforms, it is priced to beat out Google TV and Apple TV both, and would be a fantastic buy for, say, grandparents who want something for their grandkids to play when they come visit, but don't want to drop $250 on a Wii U, and then still buy games at $50 a piece.

Until closer to/after launch I doubt we'll see much in the way of software library improvements, but I do think that very soon we will be able to sideload a working version of most apps, so if you're a hacker, this is a magic box, if you're a standard consumer... well, for now save your money.
22nd May 2013, 06:42 AM |#137  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I don't have one but want to get one. It would be a great multi media center and retro gaming machine. I feel that if it turns out to be a functional/affordable media center it could definitely become very marketable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium
24th May 2013, 03:58 PM |#138  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulenski

I have my Ouya, my intentions were not just to have an little gaming console but something that is an Mutlimedia Console. I know a lot of people who aren't getting it for the gaming but because of it's small form factor, hdmi out, usb

That's why I'm interested in the Ouya. If you look at it as a gaming console, it might be lacking. But if you're looking for a low powered family friendly HTPC that runs hardware graphics supported XBMC, it's definitely promising.

For comparison, the other Android PC devices in market are all backed by Chinese companies with very little quality control and support. The Android sticks cost between $40 and $100, but don't have ethernet jacks, meaning when you start microwaving your popcorn you'd interrupt the movie. The Andoid boxes in the market, like the highly rated G-box Midnight, are dual-core 1GB devices, and cost about $100. They don't come with the nifty Ouya controller that has a built in touch pad.

So, for the same price as one of the top Android boxes, the Ouya gives you a game controller, quad-core vs. dual-core CPU, and a US based company that has a bit more momentum, so hopefully better product reliability and support. If there's a market for Roku and Apple TV, there's a market for Ouya. It looks like it has the ease-of-use for the everyday consumer, but can also be more versatile for those wanting to put in some time.

The only downside is that Ouya has an incentive to keep the system locked to its own market. Despite being touted as being very hackable, I haven't seen anyone install pure Android on it yet. I would like to have the regular android desktop so I can make use of informational widgets, run the apps I've already brought from the play store, and not be tied down to using the Ouya just as a gaming platform.

But I also don't think the Ouya is limited to those with a large media library and NAS setup. There's a market for Roku-like and Apple TV devices. The Ouya is like Roku and Apple TV, but does a lot more.
25th May 2013, 06:15 PM |#139  
Thanks Meter: 449

More
Still can't help to think that releasing this late with a Tegra 3 is a negative and the exclusive market will turn a lot of current Android users off. Most will assume they can put apps on all their other devices.

I understand the chip choice was cost and the proprietary market is their money model, but most consumers will not care about those dynamics.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)