WorldCallPlaceAndTime

Search This thread

atrant

Sep 29, 2009
Hi! Let me introduce a tiny app, available in English in the moment.

This program shows a small info window during incoming/outgoing call. It contents country, region, city (or mobile operator) and LOCAL TIME in that place (worldwide)!

See latest comments and screenshots on cyrket (I'm not allowed to insert links)

Detailed popup customization is supported

The phone base I collected and created (many errors there were fixed by hands) was only available in Russian, but today I released English base, made with help of Google Translate :eek:

I know, such translation is buggy (but still much better I expected). I hope you'll help me and other users to have a complete and accurate information about calls - just email me right from the program menu about any issues or comment here.

World time also changes (for example, Russia lost two time zones this March) and if you find any error - post here or email me ;)

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    640 bytes · Views: 2,724
  • WorldCallPlaceAndTime15.apk
    152.9 KB · Views: 368
  • device1.jpg
    device1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 349
  • device2.jpg
    device2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 324
  • phones_base_en.zip
    530.5 KB · Views: 307

atrant

Sep 29, 2009
You don't need to download phone base. You may download its latest version from the app, but if you want to do it manually, unpack the zip to the sdcard's root

AndyCr15

Apr 27, 2005
London, UK
www.lanarchy.co.uk
How accurate does it get? I don't get many international calls, but might be useful to know where a landline call from within the UK is coming from?

What happens with mobile calls from with the UK? I assume no detail at all then?

atrant

Sep 29, 2009
it covers both landline and mobile network all over the world, where it is possible to distinguish between numbers by area codes. just try =) there are more than 25000 records in the base

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

rsoares8

Apr 14, 2010
Hi. How do you set this up?
I have placed my Country Code (00351) and set GMT to +1 and when I call from my desk to my phone, it says it's a call from India ... :p

atrant

Sep 29, 2009
afaik, country code cant starts with zeros. Please, provide full number (you may hide last four digits) and right country for you ;) I'll check and write settings here

atrant

Sep 29, 2009
wow. That is new for me. I know that with one leading zero start local calls. And you say two zeros replace + . hmmm. try left country code blank, that may help, I think. and if not, please, type whole number without four last digits

cauli

Mar 7, 2010
Not sure if this is already obvious but as there seems some uncertainty. AIUI the correct way to state an international number is to prefix it with +. To make a call, the plus sign is replaced with the two (or sometimes three or four) digit international access code which depends on the country one is placing the call from. For Europe this is 00, for the States, 011 etc.

rsoares8

Apr 14, 2010
I'm in Portugal, and my number is +35193233xxxx. I have tried leaving it blank, but by default leaves a 7... tried with 00351, with 351 and when calls are incoming still stays it's from India.
I'll wait for further clarification and if nothing happens I'll un-install it.
By the way, it doesn't let me use the +.
Thanks

atrant

Sep 29, 2009
okay, and what was the incoming number? what it was looking like on the call screen? country code preset replaces leading zero or eight digit. so it doesn't interfere number detection in you case I think

rsoares8

Apr 14, 2010
Just got a call from Germany, and it identified the Country and city allright. Seems that it doesn't work for calls inside Portugal only...

atrant

Sep 29, 2009
i see eight digits and no country info in this number. if there are seven digits program says local call and do not provide any information (because there is no trusted information) in eight or more digits it tries to detect country code. it replaces leading 8 or 0 with country code from the settings - for example local russian mobile calls may look like 8916xxxyyzz - we replace 8 with country code 7 and identify it with MTS - the program even say region or city based on x or xx or xxx in the example above. but in your situation I have no idea how to detect that the call is local and country code needs to be put before the number =( I've never heard that income mobile number may be in the format you wrote - it should start with plus sign and country code or 8 or zero (Ukraine, Moldova). I'm whirled

XStylus

May 19, 2010
Any chance you can convert the database into something human-readable? I'll be glad to cross reference a bunch of Southern California area codes and prefixes so that you can get some more accurate data there.

Also, a program similar to yours got hit with a cease & desist a few months back by some patent trolls because they supposedly hold a patent on this very thing. You're in Russia though so I dunno if their reach extends to you. Just thought I'd give you an FYI.

atrant

Sep 29, 2009
Any chance you can convert the database into something human-readable? I'll be glad to cross reference a bunch of Southern California area codes and prefixes so that you can get some more accurate data there.

Also, a program similar to yours got hit with a cease & desist a few months back by some patent trolls because they supposedly hold a patent on this very thing. You're in Russia though so I dunno if their reach extends to you. Just thought I'd give you an FYI.

please, email me a t r a n t . s g @ g m a i l . c o m (or from the program menu) to discuss db elements, thanks in advance.

and yeah... i've read that stuff and even contacted the author...
But, my program is better now, I think =) And I will hit 10000 downloads, I hope. That will be enough, I think, for my efforts and hand-made db =))

castor.troy

May 23, 2008
Utrecht
Uninstallation

How do i uninstall de database, can't find it but i takes 3 mb of internal memory. Anyone has a suggestion!!

castor.troy

May 23, 2008
Utrecht
uninstallation

So when i uninstall WorldCallPlaceAndTime.apk than de database will be removed from my internal memeory?

Castor