Apathetic towards Viewsonic (June 2011 update)

Search This thread

cd112

Mar 28, 2011
I have posted on the dev board, tweeted, and sent an email to Android Central (trying to get a story).

If you want continued support, do your part people!

Same here.. I have emailed support, Dev group and posted on tweet.. We need Honeycomb on Gtablet.. This is not right..

skoodog

Apr 9, 2011
Just sent a tip to engadget regarding this story - my text:

There's a grassroots effort going on at the XDA developers forum pushing to get Nvidia to support the Tegra2 Harmony platform (found in many tablets and phones) for future Android releases. As per the Developer Relations post:

NVIDIA is only supporting the Ventana platform for android releases going forward. At the moment we have released Froyo and Gingerbread OS images for Ventana and will release Honeycomb after Google has done so.

Andrew Edelsten
Tegra Developer Relations
NVIDIA Corporation

This platform was only JUST released in Q4-10 and is already being treated as obsolete. I know technology moves fast, but given the large momentum of sales among this particular platform (specifically the Viewsonic G Tablet), I'm hoping this is worth a blurb. Thanks!

I sourced the nvidia dev thread and this thread as well.

RyuFDAC01

Jul 25, 2010
I whole heartedly agree... I know there is a tweet going around, however thought I would post what I tweeted... I think nvidia needs to know that their future products are at stake, and that lack of support for devices not out may be a possibility. ...thus influencing their financial goals

@nvidia states no support for harmony platform no Android2.3/ 3.0 ever.Worries over device support for future tegra2 devices(harmonyistegra2)

Make changes to this ...let your voices be heard

snapz54

Mar 25, 2009
los angeles
please use one of the hashtags

#nvidiaFail
#Tegra2Fail

these companies have twitter consultants that tell them trending is bad when it's bad. be careful

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
I'm sure a writer at one of the big sites like Engadget would like to write about Nvidia abandoning their Tegra 2 line....

They're not abandoning their Tegra2 line - they are no longer providing software support for their Harmony line of the Tegra2 (http://www.androidcentral.com/nvidia-stop-supporting-harmony-platform-past-froyo). This device is over a year old....

And to the other post above, definitely a different practice than their other products - but it's also a different world and they have to figure out how to work within it. Hopefully they figure out how to provide better support going forward....

Version_3

Aug 12, 2010
SE Wisconsin
Oh, I just read it...

we got press, but not exactly support. Just a different viewpoint.

I clicked thanks instead of quoting. Have a free one I suppose.

I think that article highlights something everyone seems to have forgotten. I don't think VS or nvidia are to blame. Most of the Harmony tablets are crud. It wasn't until Xoom/Ventana came around that Google visibly supported a tablet. Now with more coming out on different platforms that are from reputable hardware makers, they pressure is on and development starts dropping on the older stuff in order to maintain that relationship and blessing from the overlords (Google) so companies can use the Android source.

I think the news sucks, but thanks to the devs here, my Gtablet is still more usable than stock for my desires, regardless if there will be further updates.

Reactions: carljanderson

stilgar27

Apr 2, 2011
Is iPad2 GPU really that much more superior to Tegra 2?

In one fairly biased article I read Samsung/Apple claiming their A7's GPU outperformed tegra 2 by some 400+% (45 to 11)...... Of course doing a little digging you found that they were basically comparing it to a Tegra system without full hardware support, but it was enough to send raving apple fanboys, well raving about apple's superiority as always.

Even within the article however, they admitted that it was nearly impossible to accurately compare Apples and Oranges (or Tegras). They also admitted that using the same system, the 1.5 year older tegra 2 beat the Ipad 2 in most of the other benchmarks by a good 25% margin. I also found a later article on the same site comparing the Atrix to the IPad2 and the same GPU benchmark came out nearly even (45 to 44).

The sad reality here though is that I simply don't believe in benchmarks any more and neither should you. Something designed to give us clear comparative information has become a clouded arena of fuzzy math and fanboyism. Instead I just rely on real world feedback.

It's not hard to see that the Tegra 2 line is at least on par than the Ipad2 in most real world applications, even with some severe software woes. But Even if the Ipad2's GPU were 400+% at the moment you'd not likely see that exploited effectively within the products expected lifespan (14-18 months?). As any PC gamer will tell you, software is much slower to evolve than hardware.

Not that GPU hardware really matters that much in the end anyway. I mean look at the Wii.

Last edited:

sigvader

Mar 11, 2011
I clicked thanks instead of quoting. Have a free one I suppose.

I think that article highlights something everyone seems to have forgotten. I don't think VS or nvidia are to blame. Most of the Harmony tablets are crud. It wasn't until Xoom/Ventana came around that Google visibly supported a tablet. Now with more coming out on different platforms that are from reputable hardware makers, they pressure is on and development starts dropping on the older stuff in order to maintain that relationship and blessing from the overlords (Google) so companies can use the Android source.

I think the news sucks, but thanks to the devs here, my Gtablet is still more usable than stock for my desires, regardless if there will be further updates.

+1:) I feel the same way I so hope for a little more support but I am very happy with what I have on it now thanks to the devs
...specifically roebeet:D

life02

Jan 17, 2006
DFW
Nvidia = fail

K I'm sending this to many blogs and news outlets to try to get the word out:

NVIDIA is dropping driver support from the Tegra 2 harmony platform. Many devices with the Tegra 2 chipset were released just this year. The platform had a very short lifespan and without support or at least open source drivers from NVIDIA, there will be no further android updates beyond Froyo on these devices. Please help get the word out.

Here is the quote from NVIDIA when asked about Harmony Honeycomb support (http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/honeycomb-harmony):

NVIDIA is only supporting the Ventana platform for android releases going forward. At the moment we have released Froyo and Gingerbread OS images for Ventana and will release Honeycomb after Google has done so.

Andrew Edelsten
NVIDIA Corporation

davidukfl

Apr 19, 2010
Seattle
www.crypto-designs.com
I emailed viewsonic/us-merchants asking about any future updates and i got a response back from Jeff Green (US merch) today saying they will be releasing a new update tomorrow that will fix any UI lag and slowness (which is what i had inquired about, asking if that would be fixed in future updates)

Reactions: roebeet and anthrem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1- OTA updater has been broken for six days, now (it started on Monday). This is completely unacceptable, given that this is the ONLY way to get updates from them officially. What if you got the item from Tiger Direct in the last week at $299, and have build 2963 on it? If you didn't go to XDA and fix this manually yourself, you'd be SOOL.

2- The last official firmware was in mid January. We are going on three months since the last stock update. We know there was a UAT that was significantly better than the one in January, but it was never released (and eventually pulled from the TapnTap servers) with a "TBD" for the new ETA.

I'm going to very blunt, and I hope that Viewsonic is reading this. I'm very disappointed in how this is all going down, ESPECIALLY given that you've had a big bump in user numbers in the last two weeks or so. You and I both know this, and yet you can't seem to get your act together, here.

I'm not your developer - you are not paying me, or XDA, to do your support work for you. And we certainly should not be the place to send users to get their stock updates - that's just ridiculous. Please get a meeting together with TapnTap, or whoever you need to, early next week and get them to fix these issues, please. If I were running the show over there, I'd have them on the phone a week ago asking for an ETA ASAP, and updating that web site with details on what's going on and when it will be fixed. Seriously, your web site still talks about the December firmware release (the one, btw, that the poor Tiger Direct users haven't been able to even get, since Monday) - are your web developers asleep over there?

If it wasn't for the user base here in XDA, my device would have probably been wiped and cleaned up right about now, and I would have put this thing up for sale. I actually know at least one dev here in XDA who's already done this. And, as time goes on, I'll be more inclined to do this if you've made the decision to completely abandon this device. Because, to be blunt, this is the perception that I'm starting to get, as the days drag on with no resolution.

I'm not asking for Honeycomb - I just want you to get your current problems fixed and at least get that 1.2 dev branch released. I know you have an account here, so maybe a reply to this thread would set all our minds at ease.

Thank you.

4/11/2011 EDIT -- agree with me and want your voice heard?

twitter: @viewsonic

contact us page: http://www.viewsonic.com/contact/

Phone Number: 866-501-6405 / 310-228-4000. (thanks snapz54 and chili_red!)

4/12/2011 EDIT -- OTA updater is still borked, as of this writing. And the next firmware update, as per their web site, is now "anticipated" in May.

4/13/2011 EDIT -- Even more details on who you can contact (thanks snapz54!): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12843221&postcount=189 The OTA Updater is still down, but should be up tomorrow (allegedly).

4/14/2011 EDIT -- OTA updater is up, finally. Showing "3588" as the latest, so no new update (this was not a surprise).

4/15/2011 EDIT -- I think it's time to change the title of this post. :)

6/22/2011 EDIT -- Thread is still alive? 4349 was pulled in mid-April, still no word on an update from them 2 months later. 3588 (from January) is still technically their "latest", as per the OTA updater. I am actually beyone aggravated, I am apathetic at this point.
    Read this please, I was just contacted by someone in Viewsonic

First off, they actually DO scan these posts -- someone saw this today and contacted someone in VS about it and then they PM'd me. I just had a nice long chat with this gentlemen.

Long story short - I gave him my complaints and the high priority things I think need to be addressed (the broken CS area, the outdated web site and the need to get the OTA updater fixed - the web site to maybe just allay fears and that problems are being worked on) and he assured me that these things will be looked into ASAP. I told him that having VS step to assure their userbase that they are still supporting us is a step in the right direction.

And I also asked if we could get an eventual update on the next firmware release, that would be beneficial as well. So let's see what happens tomorrow or Wednesday.
    UPDATE 13 APRIL 2011

A lot has been read into a very short post about a Tegra development kit. I'd like to clear up a few points.

First, nothing changes in what we’re delivering to the open source community or customers. NVIDIA will continue to post the Tegra kernel to kernel.org and publish our Android code to our public git servers. Additionally, we will continue to make our BSP (codecs, GPU driver etc) available to all our hardware partners. We will continue to do this and nothing about these processes has changed.

For our partners' Android devices, NVIDIA provides support until the hardware partner chooses to no longer support the device. So, for instance, NVIDIA will support the Xoom on all versions of Android Motorola requests until Motorola ceases to support the Xoom. The same goes for ViewSonic with the G-Tablet, Notion Ink with the Adam, Acer with the Iconia, LG with the Optimus 2X and so on.

In relation to my original reply, that was a response to a specific question about a Tegra 250 Development Kit. Given the confusion, we will work with owners of Tegra 250 Development Kits individually to determine their needs. The term "Harmony" is an internal codename for the Tegra 250 Development Kit. It is not a tablet reference design. Each shipping tablet is a custom design with varying hardware components and requires a custom OS image from the OEM who made the tablet.

Finally, while we cannot support or give out third party peripheral drivers or provide the Android 3.0 source before Google does, we do want to explore whether we can assist the open source ROM makers. We will be reaching out to them today.

Andrew Edelsten
    NVIDIA Corporation

Look look look!
    1- OTA updater has been broken for six days, now (it started on Monday). This is completely unacceptable, given that this is the ONLY way to get updates from them officially. What if you got the item from Tiger Direct in the last week at $299, and have build 2963 on it? If you didn't go to XDA and fix this manually yourself, you'd be SOOL.

2- The last official firmware was in mid January. We are going on three months since the last stock update. We know there was a UAT that was significantly better than the one in January, but it was never released (and eventually pulled from the TapnTap servers) with a "TBD" for the new ETA.

I'm going to very blunt, and I hope that Viewsonic is reading this. I'm very disappointed in how this is all going down, ESPECIALLY given that you've had a big bump in user numbers in the last two weeks or so. You and I both know this, and yet you can't seem to get your act together, here.

I'm not your developer - you are not paying me, or XDA, to do your support work for you. And we certainly should not be the place to send users to get their stock updates - that's just ridiculous. Please get a meeting together with TapnTap, or whoever you need to, early next week and get them to fix these issues, please. If I were running the show over there, I'd have them on the phone a week ago asking for an ETA ASAP, and updating that web site with details on what's going on and when it will be fixed. Seriously, your web site still talks about the December firmware release - are your web developers asleep over there?

If it wasn't for the user base here in XDA, my device would have probably been wiped and cleaned up right about now, and I would have put this thing up for sale. I actually know at least one dev here in XDA who's already done this. And, as time goes on, I'll be more inclined to do this if you've made the decision to completely abandon this device. Because, to be blunt, this is the perception that I'm starting to get, as the days drag on with no resolution.

I'm not asking for Honeycomb - I just want you to get your current problems fixed and at least get that 1.2 dev branch released. I know you have an account here, so maybe a reply to this thread would set all our minds at ease.

Thank you.
    This is an IMPORTANT post!! I think it should be voted to the front page. Viewsonic and for that matter all suppliers should have a commitment to their users/buyers. Our $$$$ is what support them and they should respect the user community. If they want to be selling more they should make what they have work!!!!
    Please vote the post to first page, have them take note and take us seriously.
    Thank you roebeet!!
    Just sent a tip to engadget regarding this story - my text:

There's a grassroots effort going on at the XDA developers forum pushing to get Nvidia to support the Tegra2 Harmony platform (found in many tablets and phones) for future Android releases. As per the Developer Relations post:

Andrew Edelsten
    NVIDIA Corporation

This platform was only JUST released in Q4-10 and is already being treated as obsolete. I know technology moves fast, but given the large momentum of sales among this particular platform (specifically the Viewsonic G Tablet), I'm hoping this is worth a blurb. Thanks!

I sourced the nvidia dev thread and this thread as well.