Four simple steps to use alternative keyboards

Search This thread

Hag77

Feb 28, 2011
Searched but didn't come up with anything-- Is it possible to run stock (rooted) w/ ICS keyboard? Seen various threads about swiftkey, swype, etc- but ICS keyboard is where it's at!

todivine

Dec 29, 2010
I just installed TSwipe-Pro from the Gapps and its works as it should, swype does'nt, Just FYI...

i can't get tswipe pro to work at all.. i tried moving Apk to system/app and reinstalled then revolt .. tried uninstalling and reinstalling revolt.. I'm not even getting a tc it wont even let me select it with long press select input still only shows kindle keyboard...

djkeller3

Jan 15, 2011
Lexington, KY
Where are you guys getting your Swype apk's? I used another email address I have to sign up for a separate Swype beta deal for my KF. Problem is, when I click the link in the confirmation email to download the installer, I'm told I can't download it because my device is not a phone.

So the only other way I can think of is to transfer the installer apk from my phone sd card to the sd card of my KF. I just don't want this to screw up Swype on my phone if they somehow find out I'm using the same beta deal on two devices.

Is this how you guys are doing it?

DragonSeeker

Aug 3, 2011
EveryWhere
I've got thumb keyboard working on my kindle fire...so it can be done. Promise.

Now, how I got it working.....I have no idea.
It was FCing constantly, so I used titanium backup to clear the cache and uninstall but after a reboot it was still there.

Now it runs....and there is no app in the system/app.
In system/data there is com.beansoft.keyboardplus-2.apk

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am perm rooted with Burrito with SU v2.0
1 I installed thumbs just like any other apk
2 I moved not copied from data/app to system/app
3 I found the beansoft libs and moved them to the system/libs as explained in an earlier post

Good luck and Keep Moving Forward,
Dseeker

Additional gratitude specifically goes to bigragu suggested moving the libraries and
kudosmog for the rest. Thanks guys, aint teamwork awesome.

Last edited:

thrasherht

Feb 5, 2011
Saginaw
I am perm rooted with Burrito with SU v2.0
1 I installed thumbs just like any other apk
2 I moved not copied from data/app to system/app
3 I found the beansoft libs and moved them to the system/libs as explained in an earlier post

Good luck and Keep Moving Forward,
Dseeker

Additional gratitude specifically goes to bigragu suggested moving the libraries and
kudosmog for the rest. Thanks guys, aint teamwork awesome.

Where did you find the lib files?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

djkeller3

Jan 15, 2011
Lexington, KY
For those trying to use Swype, I downloaded the Swype APK version 3.26, and it works perfectly. Spaces properly, in between words and after periods. It's not overly huge, either. Themed a very nice black. It's basically the current Swype beta that just came out, which is just awesome.

The only thing - I had to figure out how to leave Swype (or what I was Swyping in) because the Home and Back softkeys are not present. What you have to do is press and hold the Swype key which brings up the Swype Settings, and at the bottom you will see the Home Key and Back Key. Not a big deal at all to have a completely functioning and full-feature Swype on your Kindle Fire!

Reactions: Belgorm

fwp

Feb 8, 2007
For those trying to use Swype, I downloaded the Swype APK version 3.26, and it works perfectly. Spaces properly, in between words and after periods. It's not overly huge, either. Themed a very nice black. It's basically the current Swype beta that just came out, which is just awesome.

The only thing - I had to figure out how to leave Swype (or what I was Swyping in) because the Home and Back softkeys are not present. What you have to do is press and hold the Swype key which brings up the Swype Settings, and at the bottom you will see the Home Key and Back Key. Not a big deal at all to have a completely functioning and full-feature Swype on your Kindle Fire!

Any chance you can give a step-by-step? Did you temporary root, or permanent root?
I did temp root, followed directions including the lib's to /system/lib but still no go.

Btw to minimize swype just swipe from swype key to backspace :)

nugroho2

Mar 5, 2010
"So far this method does not work with - SlideIt ... "

Please revise. It works !!! Just move the data/app as recommended above, and move the data/data/com.dasur.slideit.xxx/Lib/LibSlideITEngine.so to the system/lib. Don't forget to reboot.

Done...

Thanks so much ...

keenerb

Jan 30, 2008
Swype works for a little while and then stops.

I switched over to the free Hacker's Keyboard, which has arrow keys and all sorts of extended keyboard buttons.

Hacker's Keyboard is mindbogglingly awesome for anDosBox, RDP, and Connectbot.

jmcoffey

Dec 6, 2011
Peachtree City

Just swype from the swype key to backspace to close the keyboard

skaroger867

Jan 23, 2007
Kentucky
After several attempts of moving and re installing I got it to work. (Thumb keyboard that is)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using xda premium

TrofeoSC

Jan 29, 2006
Weeki Wachee, FL
I got the Thumb Keyboard to work.
I downloaded it as a regular APK and then moved it to system with Root explorer. I moved both the .lib and .app files to their respective places per previous instructions.
I then rebooted and went into applications and selected the Thumb Keyboard and it asked if I wanted to reinstall and I said yes and it did.

I was able to set up the program in its setup screen and then when I went to a text entry block and long pressed and got the selection dialog and pressed on it and it gave me both the thumb and kindle keyboards and I selected the thumb and everything works fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This approach works with non-smart keyboards.

1. Install your preferred keyboards from Market
    2. Use ES file explore (with Root feature and RW mount enabled in the advanced setting) or use Root Explorer to copy the keyboard .apk file from /data/app to /system/app
    3. Reboot and select the keyboard by pressing and holding at any text input box.
    4. (optional) Sideload and install "Nookcolor Tools" from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868366. You will have an option to set keyboards.

So far this method does not work with
    - SlideIt
    - Thumb keyboard (thanks fr4nk1yn)
    If any of these keyboards create a lib in /data/data/name_of_app/lib, you may need to copy it to /system/lib

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    anyone know if this works for Swype?

It works. I need to do additional step for Swype. After copying Swype apk file to /system/app and rebooted (that time Swype shows several FC), I clicked that apk file to re-install it. Then you should delete apk file from /system/app, otherwise it goes to FC again once it's rebooted.
    not sure why nooktools is needed. I saw no option to change the keyboard in it.
    copying to /system/app armed to allow the option change but add thumb keyboard to the list of non-working ones.
    i'm trying to get swiftkey tablet x working again aswell. post 6.2 update that is. before it worked like a charm, but now it just keeps fc'ing

[EDIT]
    scratch that, it's working fine again.
    i'll try to sum up what i did.

1) moved the apk to sd and installed as i did before.
    2) initial setup began but fc'd as soon as i selected it as default input method
    2a) selected kindle keyboard as default again
    3) used rootexplorer to move com.touchtype.swiftkey.tablet.full-2.apk from /data/app to /system/app
    4) selected swiftkey as default input to get another FC
    4a) back to kindle keyboard
    5) rebooted the kindle
    6) selected swiftkey as default input again by longpressing the searchbar
    7) everything works just fine, no fcs, nothing

sidenote: i do NOT have the nook color tools installed

hope this helps :)