[MOD][XPOSED] Fire TV Mods by rbox

Search This thread

userr12

Apr 19, 2007
Rotterdam
Hrm. I think I remember someone saying ALT-TAB brought up the recents list? Is that true? I kn
ow my phone can bring up the recents when I hold home... I bet I could tweak my module to do that. I'll look into it next week.

Thanks for your work on xposed module r box. ..

Do you think it would be possible to use a long press like this to call up a system wide custom context menu ?
This could open a lot of FTV control options from the remote that can be called regardless current activity

(can Imagen, Vol+, Vol-, reboot, recent apps etc)

Edit: @rbox, you might want to have a look at Xposed module "MenuBeGone", this module changes the menu button behavior into a popup window that shows recent apps, it's in a overlay not touching application underneath (so video will keep playing etc), this works on the FireTV, might be a good starting point.

Last edited:

Beradd

Jul 7, 2014
How to install as zip file Link has no apk in zip

This is a collection of Fire TV mods using Xposed. It currently contains:

• AlternateLauncher: This will start an alternate launcher instead of the Amazon one. It will load when the Fire TV starts and anytime you push the home button. The way this is done is a little hokey and there is currently no way to turn it off or select which launcher you want, so if you have more than one, the one that gets started is it.
  • ControllerWarning: This will suppress the controller warning when starting apps from USB input.

Please let me know if you have any issues. One problem I know of is that it doesn't seem to show up in the list of applications, so if you want to uninstall it you need to use adb, ssh, or a terminal using the command pm uninstall rbox.xposed.firetvmods

Changelog:
  • 1.0: Initial version

Im trying to install and cannot figure out how. The download comes as a zip and when extracted theres no apk
My ftv is rooted with xbmc 13.1
xposed is installed and updated
Need help with the module
Nevermind I changed file ext to .apk

Last edited:

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
The ALT-TAB function works better than I anticipated.
Simply hold Alt and press Tab multiple times to move the highlight over to the recent app you want to switch to.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for your work on xposed module r box. ..

Do you think it would be possible to use a long press like this to call up a system wide custom context menu ?
This could open a lot of FTV control options from the remote that can be called regardless current activity

(can Imagen, Vol+, Vol-, reboot, recent apps etc)

Edit: @rbox, you might want to have a look at Xposed module "MenuBeGone", this module changes the menu button behavior into a popup window that shows recent apps, it's in a overlay not touching application underneath (so video will keep playing etc), this works on the FireTV, might be a good starting point.

Interesting, good find. I'll take a look at it.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Any chance of getting the "Game Keyboard" IME working on Fire TV with a mod?
I want to test it out since I am pissed about GTA San Andreas' lack of keyboard controls in comparison to GTA3 and also things like analog in Reicast (if fixed for Qualcomm),and Retroarch (lacks analog mapping as well).

I got far enough to see the option for enabling Gamepad Keyboard on Languages & Input (settings.apk),only to find it unselectable and greyed (black) out.

goto35

Aug 18, 2008
I have this installed and many launchers Fire or XBMC launcher. But when i try to active this module it tells me i dont have a launcher installed?

What am i doing wrong?

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
@rbox:Since you are working with xposed module creation,I feel that I should ask you about this mod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WfYtFaVx38

It is a selective/universal floating apps mod called Halo,not to be confused with a certain game series.
Since the Fire TV refuses to allow 99% of widgets to run (memory booster runs),do you think this mod could still work?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
As I expected,it did not work...properly.
I could only get a test window to open,which then forces itself to the leftside of the screen after I touvh the bottom left triangle.
Then it lost input access,and on the 2nd open attempt,it would not appear.
Pinned apps did not open in floating windows because they refused to,and instead opened in the usual fullscreen.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Can you try to find out how to fix widget access on Fire TV?
I really want to use some widgets I once had on my previous device running flawlessly in a downloaded launcher.

The Fire TV can't even open widgets on other launchers for some strange reason.
I think that the main widget files could be missing since there is no xml folder with the widget-related xml in the res directory.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Can you try to find out how to fix widget access on Fire TV?
I really want to use some widgets I once had on my previous device running flawlessly in a downloaded launcher.

The Fire TV can't even open widgets on other launchers for some strange reason.
I think that the main widget files could be missing since there is no xml folder with the widget-related xml in the res directory.

I don't really know what they removed from the frameworks to prevent widgets from working, but even if I did, it's not something that can be added back with Xposed. Your best bet would be to wait for the bootloader unlock and then see if anyone compiles AOSP or CM.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Hopefully,older AOSP versions can be used so we don't lose access to what changes in the later Android versions.
I would prefer the best version of KitKat.

sont77

Jun 22, 2014
zip to apk

Im trying to install and cannot figure out how. The download comes as a zip and when extracted theres no apk
My ftv is rooted with xbmc 13.1
xposed is installed and updated
Need help with the module
Nevermind I changed file ext to .apk

hey can you please help how do you make the change.....cant figure it out please help:eek:

mrcdsouza

Mar 27, 2011
How to hide menu items?

I just updated to v1.1: Added HideAmazonMenuItems, KeyBindings, and RecentsOnMenuLong

Thanks for your work on these mods. I have installed v1.2 but do not know how to access the HideAmazonMenuItems option. Is there a guide on using your mods?

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Thanks for your work on these mods. I have installed v1.2 but do not know how to access the HideAmazonMenuItems option. Is there a guide on using your mods?

Thanks.

Found it under the FireTV settings. Thanks

fatman06

Jun 4, 2008
Keymapping Question

KeyBindings:
Someone requested this, but doing a UI for it would be too complicated, and I figured I'd put the feature out there for people to use, and eventually get around to making a UI for it. For now, you'll have to configure it manually. Create a file called key_bindings.xml and make it look like this:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<map>
<string name="KEYCODE_F1">org.chromium.content_shell_apk</string>
<string name="KEYCODE_F2_LONG">com.pandora.android.gtv</string>
</map>

You can have as many entries as you like. You can find the KEYCODE names listed here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html To set up a long press key put _LONG at the end of the key name. The other part is the package name you wish to start, org.chromium.content_shell_apk is Netflix. Then just adb push key_bindings.xml /sdcard/ and reboot. And it should start whatever app you specified when pressing that button. Do note that the button will not longer do whatever else it used to do. So if you bind ENTER to something, it will not longer function normally. By default, long press on home will launch the recents dialog. If you set up KEYCODE_HOME_LONG, it will override that behavior.

[/LIST]

Is is possible to map device function to your key map or is it just applications that can be launced? Like fore example on my logitech keyboard i have to hold FN + CTRL to get the menu to pop up in Chrome. So if I could just long press ctrl to get that same ability would be great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a collection of Fire TV mods using Xposed. It requires that you are on software version 51.1.4.0 or newer. It currently contains:

• AlternateLauncher: This will start an alternate launcher instead of the Amazon one. It will load when the Fire TV starts and anytime you push the home button. The way this is done is a little hokey and there is currently no way to turn it off or select which launcher you want, so if you have more than one, the one that gets started is it.
    • HideAmazonMenuItems: Gives a settings menu to select which menu items to show.
    • HideLauncherAds: Hide the ad at the top of the Home screen.
    • KeyBindings: Allows any key to start any app.
    • RecentsOnMenuLong: Bring up the recents dialog when long pressing the home button.
    HideAmazonMenuItems:
    In order to do this, I had to hijack an existing Settings item, so the Help option is gone and I put a 'Menu Items' option at the beginning of the settings list. You can turn on/off any item except Home and Settings. After making changes you must reboot to see the changes.

KeyBindings:
    Someone requested this, but doing a UI for it would be too complicated, and I figured I'd put the feature out there for people to use, and eventually get around to making a UI for it. For now, you'll have to configure it manually. Create a file called key_bindings.xml and make it look like this:
    Code:
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F1">org.chromium.content_shell_apk</string>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F2_LONG">com.pandora.android.gtv</string>
    </map>

You can have as many entries as you like. You can find the KEYCODE names listed here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html To set up a long press key put _LONG at the end of the key name. The other part is the package name you wish to start, org.chromium.content_shell_apk is Netflix. Then just adb push key_bindings.xml /sdcard/ and reboot. And it should start whatever app you specified when pressing that button. Do note that the button will not longer do whatever else it used to do. So if you bind ENTER to something, it will not longer function normally. By default, long press on home will launch the recents dialog. If you set up KEYCODE_HOME_LONG, it will override that behavior.

Starting with 51.1.5.0, Amazon provides a shortcut menu on home long press. If you would like to retain this functionality, you can use this key_bindings.xml file (Thanks to @Firef0xx819):
    Code:
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_HOME_LONG"></string>
    </map>

Please let me know if you have any issues. One problem I know of is that it doesn't seem to show up in the list of applications, so if you want to uninstall it you need to use adb, ssh, or a terminal using the command pm uninstall rbox.xposed.firetvmods

Source code: https://github.com/androidrbox/RboxFireTvMods/

Changelog and Downloads:
    • 1.4: Added HideLauncherAds
    • 1.3: Fix HideAmazonMenuItems for 51.1.4.0.
    • 1.2: Allow KeyBindings to support long press keys
    • 1.1: Added HideAmazonMenuItems, KeyBindings, and RecentsOnMenuLong
    • 1.0: Initial version
    Update. xposed installed fine. The problem was the result of using an out of date apk. That is fixed.

I am still having trouble with RBox's mods. Has anyone else had any success?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also RBox is the The Man. Thanks again for all you have done over the past year.

I don't imagine any part of it works still. I'll have to redo it all probably.
    I updated the OP with version 1.4 to hide those annoying ads on the main screen.
    Hi rbox,
    Thanks much for your hard work, and the great tools you've provided for us. Is this the best place to look for updates on the menu items issue? I updated the firmware to get the new Netflix app, but I really miss the menu items fix!

Thanks.

I just updated the OP with 1.3 which fixes the menu items in 51.1.4.0.
    Can you or anybody tell if it run with a KingRoot Fire OS 5 FireTV box gen1?

Greetings by Idijt

So this module is pretty busted in FireOS5. Not to mention the fact that you really should only be installing Xposed with recovery, which I haven't released for KingRoot rooted boxes yet. Once I get recovery for firetv1 done, I'm moving on to Fire Stick. Then once that is all done, I will revisit this module.