How to root the CDMA Hero

Search This thread

lokipimpin

May 3, 2010
F. Pierce, Fla.
okay Im not new to this.. but my hero is getting the cobb webs out!... i cant seem to get it to flash anything! been trying everything. it was rooted then i un-rooted now i re-rooted an cant get it up an going! .lil help people...lol
:confused:

regaw_leinad

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.regawmod.com
okay Im not new to this.. but my hero is getting the cobb webs out!... i cant seem to get it to flash anything! been trying everything. it was rooted then i un-rooted now i re-rooted an cant get it up an going! .lil help people...lol
:confused:

If you're willing to wipe your phone, I'd recommend un-rooting by following THIS GUIDE, and then root your phone using my RegawMOD Hero Rooter.

Running that zip in the first link WILL restore your phone to factory settings, deleting all user data (not your Sprint network information though). You will have to sign into Google again later and it will restore your contacts.

EDIT: Just saw it said NOT new to this lol.. so excuse the babying ;)

anthony_s

Nov 21, 2010
New York
There was someone else also having a problem flashing CWM through ROM Manager. I told them to go to manage applications and to clear cache and data and try again, and if that didn't work, to uninstall and reinstall ROM Manager. The second option worked for them.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

debage39

Feb 26, 2012
Indianapolis
Might not b called hero rooter but was a one touch apk. Formatted SD so dnt have the apk to check. But originally tried the hero rooter mentioned above. Couldn't complete process due to lack of wifi. All done with handset. Rename flash file HERCIMG.ZIP
Hope this was helpful. I'm still learning but glad to share any info I can.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA

regaw_leinad

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.regawmod.com
Might not b called hero rooter but was a one touch apk. Formatted SD so dnt have the apk to check. But originally tried the hero rooter mentioned above. Couldn't complete process due to lack of wifi. All done with handset. Rename flash file HERCIMG.ZIP

If your talking about my RegawMOD Hero Rooter, you don't need wifi for it to work...

Reactions: debage39

debage39

Feb 26, 2012
Indianapolis
No I meant for the framework. Didn't see the link til after I left the hotspot. So I couldn't complete it.

debage39

Feb 26, 2012
Indianapolis
My bad reg. I was just informed it was ur rooter. I confused it with another method. And it worked like a dream. Phone is more compatible.

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
Umm Nah first off you mean that it wasn't his method you were referring to. Also his method didn't work for you " for unknown reasons " doesn't mean it was his method. The method your referring to is the method I suggested to you when I sent you the apk. That's how you were able to root you phone and install a recovery.

Root_Hack-Mod*Always\

Last edited:

debage39

Feb 26, 2012
Indianapolis
Also wanted to thank laie1472 for all the time and effort he has put in setting my phone up, and regaw leinad for his rooter. And xda for putting together a community of knowledge and all the ppl on it that have helped me.

Last edited:

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
Glad you got everything up and running. If you need anything else let me know.

Root_Hack-Mod*Always\

Last edited:

Stuart Little

Aug 12, 2013
Utrecht
www.mailtown.tk
You can root with:

POOT: This app is a one click root app. No computer needed

Framaroot:
Framaroot is a oneclick root app . No computer needed
This is the most popular one!

Z4Root: Z4Root is an oneclick root app . No computer needed

Towelroot: Towelroot is an oneclick root app. No computer needed

Baidu: No information

Vroot: No information

Gingerbreak: This app can root almost all gingerbread devices

Downloads:

Poot - Download the app >>here<<

Framaroot - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Z4ROOT - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Towelroot - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Baidu ROOT - Download the app >> HERE <<

vROOT - Download the app >> HERE <<

Gingerbreak - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Flash a SU ZIP - Download the ZIP >> HERE << and flash it on your unlocked bootloader phone !

Hit thanks if you liked this post or this post has helped you out !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok everyone. First off do not update your phone if Sprint offers an upate. I don't think they are going to but if they do anytime soon and you update this exploit could likely be fixed. When updates are released the devs will make updates that keep root so do not update!

That said, this is a very newbie guide. This is meant for Windows but I will post instructions for linux as well (Ubuntu). I just need to warn you that I can't adb into my phone from Ubuntu so I have to do it through Windows. Don't know why it doesnt work but it doesnt. Mac users you can always (assuming you can get it to work in Ubuntu) download a live cd and boot into Ubuntu to try this. I don't have a mac (nor do I want one) so I can't give instructions (though I assume they should be relatively the same).

Step 1:
    First you need to download the Android SDK. It may soumd confusing but it's not. There are tools in here that we need. You can get it from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html. This is a modular SDK and all the tools we need are in this download. Once downloaded you just need to extract it in a directory of choice.

The next thing we download is asroot2. This is a script that was developed that runs an exploit in Android's linux that allows us to run root. The link for that is here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=244212&d=1257621154. Unzip that file and place it in a directory of your choice. Also download http://www.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=amon_ra/RECOVERY/&file=recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img and place that into the same directory you extracted asroot2.

Step 2:
    Connect the phone to the USB port.

Ubuntu is easy for this (again assuming it works for you). Simply open a terminal and cd into the directory that you extracted the sdk into. Then cd into the tools directory. Then run the following commands:
    sudo ./adb push /directory_you_placed_asroot2/asroot2 /data/local/
    sudo ./adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
    /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /system/bin
    cat sh > su
    chmod 4755 su

If all goes well you should be presented with a new prompt. This is the linux terminal built into Android. This will allow us to execute all the commands we need to execute because the asroot2 script gave us root access.

In Windows it is a little more difficult. You have to first install the driver for the phone. When Windows asks you for the drivers direct Windows to the directory you extracted the SDK into. You should see a folder called usb_driver. If you are running the 32 bit version of Windows select the x86 folder. If you are using a 64 bit version then select the x64 folder. Then select the android_usb.inf file. This should install the drivers.

If running XP or lower you will need to go to the start menu and click run, then you enter cmd and press enter. If Vista or higher you will press the start button and type cmd and press enter. When you are at the command prompt you cd to the directory you extracted the sdk into. Then cd into the tools directory. Then execute the following commands:

adb push /directory_you_placed_asroot2/asroot2 /data/local/
    adb shell
    chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
    /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /system/bin
    cat sh > su
    chmod 4755 su

Now your phone is officially rooted! We arent done yet though. Now you need to flash the recovery image. If you are still in adb shell type in exit until you are out. You should be in the directory where you extracted the recovery image. If not go there. Type in the following:

adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img /sdcard/

Once that is done, type in adb shell (or sudo ./adb shell in ubuntu). If your command prompt is a dollar sign then type in su and press enter. If it is a pound sign you are good. Then type in the following:

adb shell flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img

Once that is finished you are done. To reboot into recovery type in adb shell reboot recovery. You should reboot into recovery mode. Right now there is not a lot you can do but once we have some devs who make some roms then we will be well on our way to an even more awesome phone. Any questions please ask away. Also, I am sorry if this tutorial is hard to understand or badly laid out. My daughter is crawling all over me so it's hard to type or think. Good luck all and thanks to everyone who rooted this phone and made the recovery and did such a great job!

If your talking about my RegawMOD Hero Rooter, you don't need wifi for it to work...
    Umm Nah first off you mean that it wasn't his method you were referring to. Also his method didn't work for you " for unknown reasons " doesn't mean it was his method. The method your referring to is the method I suggested to you when I sent you the apk. That's how you were able to root you phone and install a recovery.

Root_Hack-Mod*Always\
    Glad you got everything up and running. If you need anything else let me know.

Root_Hack-Mod*Always\