FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

11,421 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,202

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 4th August 2011, 01:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd December 2012, 03:55 PM |#2161  
OP Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 88,202

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian00

Yeah bluetooth would probably limit how much you could interact with the camera, and you would have to diy a bluetooth module and get some firmware for the app to control. Honestly, I would be happy just being able to release the shutter wireless using this app.

Another question, can you use dslr controller at all with magic lantern?

I don't test with Magic Lantern myself but others claim it works fine with ML installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjJuvan

I have a question about the DSLR Controller... because the 550D is capable shooting 1hour and longer shoots (with a help of magic lantern), I'm interested in an option of shutting down the liveview screen on my camera when using tablet for shooting. After an hour of shooting the camera heats up really quick and it would be usefull to dim out the screen and watch the liveview on android tablet. Only that way there would not be any heating problems....

is it possible to include such an option in DSLR controller?

I don't think that's even possible (as in: the in-camera firmware does not support shutting off the LCD screen during recording - regardless of what you send over USB)
5th December 2012, 06:14 PM |#2162  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 6

More
@DjJuvan: I didn't/don't need to - you just strap the tablet onto the camera, and what happens behind the tablet is out of your sight

Also, @chainfire: Was lucky enough to get my article as well as this development thread featured on a great indie filmmaking website, NoFilmschool.com:
http://nofilmschool.com/2012/12/shoo...ndroid-tablet/

This will bring a bunch of new filmmakers to find this technology, so be ready to have the thread flooded

Also, a reader on my blog just made me aware of a (quite pricey, but..!) rig that has the Nexus 7 sitting on a friction arm and display via DSLR Controller:
https://dslrpros.com/Products/tabid/...S/Default.aspx

Gentle
The Following User Says Thank You to theGentle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theGentle Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 07:50 PM |#2163  
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Well I've been searching for 45 minutes now, and I'm sure I've missed the answer to this, but I can't seem to find it.

Is it possible to use this app just for image review during a photo session? I want to use my camera to take the photos as usual, but have the most recent image taken show up on the tablet screen.

Thanks
5th December 2012, 07:53 PM |#2164  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelX

Well I've been searching for 45 minutes now, and I'm sure I've missed the answer to this, but I can't seem to find it.

Is it possible to use this app just for image review during a photo session? I want to use my camera to take the photos as usual, but have the most recent image taken show up on the tablet screen.

Thanks

yes this is possible.
5th December 2012, 08:19 PM |#2165  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rs fed

yes this is possible.

Could you explain how? I have the app, have my 5D MKII hooked up. Soon as I hook it up, it takes over the camera, and I can't seem to get it to let me take photos on the camera and just see the image on the tablet.

update: oh i think i'm mostly there. i disabled live view on startup, once app launches i go to Options, Image Review, and i can see the images on the camera. It updates the thumbnails when i take a photo but doesn't automatically select and show the big version of the most recent photo.
5th December 2012, 08:22 PM |#2166  

More
Quote:

Could you explain how? I have the app, have my 5D MKII hooked up. Soon as I hook it up, it takes over the camera, and I can't seem to get it to let me take photos on the camera and just see the image on the tablet.

update: oh i think i'm mostly there. i disabled live view on startup, once app launches i go to Options, Image Review, and i can see the images on the camera. It updates the list when i take a photo but doesnt automatically select the most recent one.

sounds like it is not working for you. Check your USB cable.
Once you plug in the tablet, the camera goes into liveview mode.
You can see on the camera viewfinder AND the tablet the image, and make changes, aperture, shutter speed everything.
Once the picture is taken, the tablet shows the image.
You can even browse the memory card on the tablet and pinch to zoom and move the photo around.
5th December 2012, 08:35 PM |#2167  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rs fed

sounds like it is not working for you. Check your USB cable.
Once you plug in the tablet, the camera goes into liveview mode.
You can see on the camera viewfinder AND the tablet the image, and make changes, aperture, shutter speed everything.
Once the picture is taken, the tablet shows the image.
You can even browse the memory card on the tablet and pinch to zoom and move the photo around.

Hmm once I go into Live View on the app, my camera gets essentially disabled and flashes a Busy message whenever I try to do something on it.I've been using this USB cable to tether to Lightroom and it has always worked fine, but the OTG cable connecting it to my tablet (nexus 10) is new. Maybe that's the problem.

update: fiddled with live view settings on camera and seem to be able to take pictures both on camera and tablet, but image review only shows up for last photo if i take the picture on the tablet. if i look at all the images on the camera, i can see them all, thumbnails update when i take a new photo, but it doesn't automatically load latest photo.That's really the only thing I'm missing/wanting at this point.
5th December 2012, 08:39 PM |#2168  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:

update: oh i think i'm mostly there. i disabled live view on startup, once app launches i go to Options, Image Review, and i can see the images on the camera. It updates the thumbnails when i take a photo but doesn't automatically select and show the big version of the most recent photo.

You were almost there.. instead of Image Review, select Image Review - Follow Shot.
5th December 2012, 08:40 PM |#2169  

More
Quote:

Hmm once I go into Live View on the app, my camera gets essentially disabled and flashes a Busy message whenever I try to do something on it.I've been using this USB cable to tether to Lightroom and it has always worked fine, but the OTG cable connecting it to my tablet (nexus 10) is new. Maybe that's the problem.

this is how mine works.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWNLSmW3MU
5th December 2012, 08:59 PM |#2170  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveid

You were almost there.. instead of Image Review, select Image Review - Follow Shot.

That seems to work as long as I take the picture from the tablet, but if I take it from the camera, follow shot doesn't appear. Son has decided I have played with this enough for now, so will try again later. Thank you both for the help! Will watch the posted YouTube video soon as I get a chance.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
5th December 2012, 09:08 PM |#2171  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:

That seems to work as long as I take the picture from the tablet, but if I take it from the camera, follow shot doesn't appear. Son has decided I have played with this enough for now, so will try again later. Thank you both for the help! Will watch the posted YouTube video soon as I get a chance.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

In Image Review - Follow Shot mode, it is impossible to take a photo with the tablet. I don't fully understand what you are doing. Open DSLR Controller, press the menu button, select Image Review - Follow Shot, select your viewing mode (Fullscreen for me)... profit.

From here, your camera should exit live view/mirror lockup mode, and be free for operation. The tablet should just show a blank screen until you take your first photo. Take a shot, wait a second or two, and it will show on the tablet. Take another shot, and it should replace the first image. You should be able to zoom in/out on the tablet as in any image viewer, and it should continue to update as you take more shots.
The Following User Says Thank You to daveid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daveid Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)