FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

11,421 posts
Thanks Meter: 88,202

By Chainfire, Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 4th August 2011, 01:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th March 2014, 09:51 AM |#3261  
Flag Wausau
Thanks Meter: 21

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashoom8

the tp-link have a specific freeware to use it with the dslr . and you can download it from dslr remote control beta website.

I'm looking for another portable wireless router .

I used it for youtube show and interviews and timelaps

I need a portable wireless router that the battery can stay for 10 hours minimum. and my video outdoors

Might be worth looking at DD-WRT.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Open source Linux router firmware. There might be support for a portable wireless router. I've had more experience with DD-WRT my router in the garage runs it. Great for an extender.

There are others though.

http://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomat...ported_devices

http://www.myopenrouter.com/

Otherwise depending on your hardware expertise you could possibly replace or add a larger milliamperes battery or make it switchable with a duplicate battery for longer life depending on how adventurous you are.
@Chainfire - yep I figured as much. The only solution would be to take apart one of the roms from source and manually debug the problem I'm guessing. Since so many roms don't have support for otg on the atrix 2 I'm guessing it's an overall problem. Honestly though the capability is there this should be fixable. I hold hope.

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Oh yeah you posted as I was XD or a usb battery would be much easier thanhback and slashing a battery in. Then again I like to play with that stuff.
26th March 2014, 02:15 PM |#3262  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for help on Canon 600D (T3i) , Nexus 7 (2012) problems.
Hello Chainfire, thanks for your reply and I hope you had an enjoyable holiday.

Your analysis seems sound. There may be some issue with some Canon 600Ds, particularly in combination with the Nexus 7 (2012). And, judging from my experience and that of some other posters here, that does seem to be the case. I don’t know enough about either software or hardware to know, but I hope you can find a way to make the DSLR Controller communications a little more robust, so that it can better cope with USB chip variations.

As I wrote, I seem to have found a way to get it to work reliably, but I would feel uneasy depending on repeatedly plugging/unplugging the OTG cable in the long term.

Thanks for the really powerful and well implemented application. When it works it’s remarkable what it can do as a remote for my Canons. Some improvements I would love are:

1. The option to toggle ‘Full Screen Live View’ /Default View from the default DSLR Controller screen.

2. And (maybe impossible, I don’t know) the ability to see the "Magic Lantern' screen and toggle it with the DSLR Controller main screen.

[QUOTE=Chainfire;51301430]Sorry for the late replies, I was on vacation! Normally I enable email auto-responder and put in big red letters here in my signature that I'm on vacation, but I forgot to do both this time around.

I'm sorry but I don't really have a solution for you. Both the Nexus 7 and the 600D are known to be compatible, but both have also had a lot of reports of 'flaky' behavior like this. As your 5D works fine, by all means so should the 600D. The only thing I can imagine is something electrical, with the 5D having a higher quality port/USB chip that is more forgiving, while failing with the 600D.

I wish I could help, but there really isn't much I can say about this case.

Regarding Magic Lantern, there is no testing done against it. However, it is perfectly expected for ML extensions that show up on camera to not show up on the tablet.
26th March 2014, 07:00 PM |#3263  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Man I wish something like this was available for my Nikon D3100!
26th March 2014, 08:43 PM |#3264  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedia

Man I wish something like this was available for my Nikon D3100!

do a search for DSLR Dashboard
The Following User Says Thank You to fotorex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fotorex Ad-Free
26th March 2014, 11:06 PM |#3265  

More
Sensor overheating warning when in Liveview?
Just set up wireless DSLRC with the TP-Link router and my 2012 Nexus 7 today - worked straight away , and I'm really looking forward to playing with this with my 5DII.

I plan to use it for wildlife shooting (mostly birds at feeders or nests) where I sit a little distance from the camera to hopefully avoid too much disturbance of the critters (and I don't have a big telephoto lens!). However, given the warnings in the Canon manual about overheating when using liveview I'm wondering how often I'm going to need to walk over to the cam to switch it off to cool down & whether this might just disturb the wildlife more than if I just sat very still (and camouflaged) a bit closer!

Does anyone have any experience of timescales ie how long it can take for the overheating to start?

More specifically for DSLRC, 2 questions:

1 - does the little temperature warning icon that shows on the camera rear screen show up in the DSLRC screen too? At least this would tell me I need to rest the camera.
2 - is there any way within DSLRC of turning liveview off and then on again without having to walk over to the camera to flick a switch?

Thanks for any advice and apologies if I've missed something!
David
27th March 2014, 06:04 AM |#3266  
Flag Wausau
Thanks Meter: 21

Donate to Me
More
Magic lantern displays using the canon firmware. It's UI overlay is displayed the same way as canons. They can even interfere so. If it doesn't show up in live view regularly it won't show up on dslr controller
27th March 2014, 11:36 AM |#3267  
OP Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 88,202

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123drb

1 - does the little temperature warning icon that shows on the camera rear screen show up in the DSLRC screen too? At least this would tell me I need to rest the camera.
2 - is there any way within DSLRC of turning liveview off and then on again without having to walk over to the camera to flick a switch?

1. It does not. I was not aware there was any. I don't have a 5DmkII (I do have a III and several other models) and have never seen any temperature/overheating warning on any of them.

2. Yes, the top-left on-screen button (which shows auto exposure mode, M, Av, Tv, P, etc) turns liveview on and off
27th March 2014, 12:18 PM |#3268  

More
Re: temperature warning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

1. It does not. I was not aware there was any. I don't have a 5DmkII (I do have a III and several other models) and have never seen any temperature/overheating warning on any of them.

2. Yes, the top-left on-screen button (which shows auto exposure mode, M, Av, Tv, P, etc) turns liveview on and off

Thanks for replying so quickly! I guess your answer to my 2nd question makes the first one slightly less worrisome since I can just turn Liveview off when there are no subjects around & turn it back on when it looks like I might have something to photograph! I had a quick look at the 5D3 manual though (just in case the temperature warnings were just for older models like the 5D2) and it's still there (hopefully the attached screenshot jpeg works). I've no idea where the icon would appear on the screen since they don't specify & their illustration of the rear screen in Liveview seems to show every other display item except a temp warning icon! Since you've presumably used Liveview a lot while developing the app and haven't seen it I should maybe not worry about it at all!

cheers,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5d3 temp warning.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	2653044  
28th March 2014, 12:15 PM |#3269  

More
Quote:

Sorry for the late replies, I was on vacation! Normally I enable email auto-responder and put in big red letters here in my signature that I'm on vacation, but I forgot to do both this time around.

Originally Posted by marcbkk
I just got a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 and I put a 64GB memory card in the tablet. I hooked it up to DSLR Controller and it works great, but in the settings it does not give me the option to save files to the 64GB memory card. It only gives me the option to save files to the 16GB on board tablet memory.

I used to use a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 and DSLR Controller would let me save the file captures to either the on board memory or the memory card.

I wonder if there is an issue with the new version of Android Kit Kat 4.4 that is running on the Tab 8.4 or perhaps if there is another issue that is preventing me from saving captures to the 64GB memory card?

In case anyone is interested, I just posted a review of shooting tethered with the new Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Tablet & DSLR Controller.

See here: http://marcschultz.com/blog/samsung-...thered-review/

Quote:

It's on my to-do list for the next update to fix this problem (related to KitKat, as you mention in your review). If the sdcard is 'normally' accessable (due to fixing it with root, or the firmware supporting it like the olden days, etc) you should again be able to save directly to sdcard's DSLRController path, and if not, it will be able to store in the application specific files path, which is something like sdcard/Android/eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller/files/... or the likes. Beware though, uninstalling the app will wipe(!) this folder.

Thanks Chainfire. I haven't rooted my tablet and rather not. So for the time being I am just saving captures to the tablet's remaining 10Gb memory, which is OK for now. If you can write a fix for it though so that DSLR Controller can save to the SD Card on tablets running KitKat without having to root, then that would be fantastic.

This is a bit off subject but, for whatever it is worth, I discovered that with KitKat it seems the Fat32 issue has been resolved which was limiting you to saving up to only 4GB files to either the tablet memory or the SD card. The other day I copied over a 10GB file to my tablet's SD card without any problem and the file runs with no problem on the tablet too.

What is strange though is that I did not format the SD card as NTFS and I assume the tablet formatted the card as Fat 32 when I installed the card, so I am not sure how KitKat is getting around the 4GB file size limit with Fat32.

I am going to assume that Android KitKat still doesn't read NTFS formatted drives because the other day I tried to connect a 1GB external drive with NTFS formatting to my tablet with an OTG cable and the tablet couldn't read the drive and said unreadable drive format.

Interesting. Anyway, any idea how this is working perhaps?
28th March 2014, 04:00 PM |#3270  

More
@Chainfire... We're having some difficulties running DSLR controller and Magic Lantern's RAW and here's a discussion on ml's forum: magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2359.msg109219#msg109219. Could you take a look and maybe give us a hint
Thanks in advance...
28th March 2014, 05:59 PM |#3271  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
TP-Link MR3020 (Externally powered) instead of MR3040 for Wireless Operation?
I h
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)