Votes: 52 14.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

wizardwiz

Jul 24, 2011
Tel Aviv
are these bad eMMC keep coming?

Hi all,
Just ordered a new one a day ago. Are these bad eMMC chips keep being shipped or is it that all new devices no longer use the faulty eMMC?

Thanks

wizardwiz

Jul 24, 2011
Tel Aviv
Yeah! =] Thanks to you and to all mt4g devs.
Stock rom sucks (mainly because high battery consumption)

Guys,
thanks for the reply. and your replies leads me to another question. what Android version did you get with your device? I mean can we assume that hand sets shipped with 2.2 have these faulty eMMC's or it can be that you get a 2.3.x and still get the faulty eMMc chip?

Further more, as far as could read through more than 60 pages, we all talk about faulty eMMC but, these people who bricked their hand set are really few. So, are we really facing a bad QC out of HTC or is it just our own paranoia?

Last edited:

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
OK, odd questions, someone else linked this, but some of what's being described sounds slightly familiar.

Those who suffered eMMC failures:

1) Was it a total failure, or were only some parts of memory dead?
2) If it was just part of the chip, which regions were toast?
3) If it was just part of the chip, did it occur after doing a wipe/format of the affected region? What method to wipe/format was used? (Note, flashing firmwares in recovery usually does a wipe/format cycle).

The reason I'm asking it is:
Most of the reports indicate M4GD2E chips are "bad", SEM04G chips are "good".

M4GD2E looks like a Samsung flash part number. (Samsung does sell flash chips to many other companies, including but not limited to Acer and Amazon, and if HTC devices have M4GD2E eMMC chips, that's probably Samsung flash.)

Those of you who follow Samsung devices are probably aware of the "Superbrick" phenomenon in those devices. (Which also has been confirmed to affect the Acer A700 and some Amazon Kindle Fire units, due to using Samsung eMMC chips.) On affected devices, it happens when MMC secure erase commands are fired at the chip (and, also, is not guaranteed to happen when a secure erase is issued). This most commonly happens when using newer CWM recoveries (CWM 5.8.x and 6.0.x for sure, possibly 5.5.x, I can't remember if that was pre-ICS or not.) that were built from an ICS or newer source tree. Note that there are numerous cases where CWM was built from ICS source but used on a device that only supported Gingerbread.

It looks like in your case, most of the bricks occurred in an era where Superbrick could not have occurred via the causes we're most familiar with, but I'm wondering if an "alternative" flash/wipe method could have resulted in things getting cratered. (For example, prototype Galaxy Nexus units were hit by fastboot erase cycles - shipped GNexes had safe eMMC firmware.)

Chances are your issue is something unrelated to Superbrick... But it would be interesting if it were.

Last edited:

wonderbread24

Nov 13, 2011
The Ovens of Hell (AZ)
Its been about a year since I rooted for the first time with a bad chip and thousands of flashes later she's still up and running strong, minus 2 flex cables for the power button, 1 digitizer, and an LCD/digitizer assembly. :D

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda app-developers app

silviomgomes

Feb 7, 2011
E:Unable to mount internal storage.

Hey guys, new at this just was playing the my HTX Panache, I rooted it with Hasoon Tool Kit and was using Team Win for Recovery, I was in the middle of an Install rom

cm-10-20121207-EXPERIMENTAL-ruby.zip

The load screen loaded up with the cyanogenmod but wasnt loading so I removed the battery and tryed reinstalling the mod, now I get a write error,

E:Unable to mount /emmc during GUI startup.
E:Unable to mount /emmc when trying to reaad settings
E:Unable to mount ´/data´
E:Unable to mount ´/emmc´

I can access my recovery but can´t do nothing with the internal drive can someone help me understand this please.

OMGtylenol

Dec 24, 2012
Motorola One
Hey guys, new at this just was playing the my HTX Panache, I rooted it with Hasoon Tool Kit and was using Team Win for Recovery, I was in the middle of an Install rom

cm-10-20121207-EXPERIMENTAL-ruby.zip

The load screen loaded up with the cyanogenmod but wasnt loading so I removed the battery and tryed reinstalling the mod, now I get a write error,

E:Unable to mount /emmc during GUI startup.
E:Unable to mount /emmc when trying to reaad settings
E:Unable to mount ´/data´
E:Unable to mount ´/emmc´

I can access my recovery but can´t do nothing with the internal drive can someone help me understand this please.

First question, did you make a backup? b/c you should know to always do that.
also, have you tried factory reset? or wiping the cache/dalvic cache/ etc..?
tried to use a known stable rom?( always a possible bad download of the cm10 exp ruby rom)

YagFrazier

Jun 20, 2013
I'm sorry, but I have a problem understanding the first step, how do you "Start" the adb?
is that this cmd thing you have to go to a specific folder with? and if so which folder is it now? and if I'm supposed to connect my phone somehow with usb debugging?
so many details left out.

N_otori0us_

Mar 30, 2013
█ ▆ ▄ ▂ ▁ ▂ ▄ ▆ █`
I'm sorry, but I have a problem understanding the first step, how do you "Start" the adb?
is that this cmd thing you have to go to a specific folder with? and if so which folder is it now? and if I'm supposed to connect my phone somehow with usb debugging?
so many details left out.

OK do you have the android SDK installed.

If you do, go to to platform tools folder.

Then hold shift and right click the platform tools folder.

Then a menu will pop up.

Then click open command window here.

Then your in the adb terminal I think.

Just connect your phone and type this in that shell

Adb devices

And your serial number will show up.

Yay your using Adb now.

To use debbuging, go to

Setting, applications, development, USB debbuging is is checked.

Sent from my myTouch 4G using xda app-developers app

mickeyasamoah

Jan 11, 2013
Accra
Mine is different

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ su
# cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt
#cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name
M4G1FB
#

And it now keeps rebooting randomly. i have flashed roms, kernels, wiped, wiped in different file systems(ext4 and ext3) but still keeps rebooting.

It sometimes gets stuck on the splash screen sometimes in bootanimation. it has even rebooted in recovery twice.
Help???
Dunno wat to do. I dont get any of those errors in recovery.
What could the problem be?

Edit: I dont think its the battery cause after those reboots it hold it charge, for example if i was left with 50% battery before it rebooted, i still would have that same 50% once its done with the reboot.

so i runned last kmsg after the reboot and this is what i got

[ 411.407928] unwind: Unknown symbol address c0052e4c
[ 411.408172] unwind: Index not found c0052e4c
[ 411.408294] Code: e59f00b8 e59f10b8 e59f20a0 eb0e4246 (e5943080)
[ 411.408508] ---[ end trace da227214a82491ba ]---
[ 411.408630] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
[ 411.408843] unwind: Unknown symbol address c0034b88
[ 411.408966] unwind: Index not found c0034b88
[ 411.409179] Rebooting in 5 seconds..
[ 416.401153] Restarting Linux version 2.6.32.21-g899d047 (htc-kernel@and18-2)
(gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Oct 26 16:10:01 CST 2010
[ 416.401153]
[ 416.401489] unwind: Unknown symbol address c0034b88
[ 416.401702] unwind: Index not found c0034b88
[ 416.401824] ARM9 has CRASHED
[ 416.401947] smem: DIAG '[WCDMA] 04:13:52 FATAL: (cm :Undef :65535) Excepti
on detected (irq:0)
[ 416.401977] '

5 Corrected bytes, 0 unrecoverable blocks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A lot of bricks been happening, and #G2root has come down to the eMMC chip being the culprit, it's not a defective one but one that goes bad after a while. It just dies for unknown reasons. I'd like people to post their eMMC serials, if recovery gives them an error such as "can't mount cache, data, etc"

You need adb setup for this, use one of the stickys to get started with adb

1, start up adb and type these in.
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
    2, after the device starts up in recovery, enter this
    Code:
    adb shell
    3, and then this, your serial number should come up after mmc0:0001
    Code:
    cat /proc/kmsg | grep 'mmc0:0001'

It looks like M4G2DE 2.10 GiB is the bad one, judging from what the #G2root devs say, but lets see what our side is.

Thanks

And unfortunaly I got the bad one too, rooted with gfree, this is what I got
    <6>[ 8.328460] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 M4G2DE 2.10 GiB

5/20/11 Edit: Added a poll, if you'd like to see more options please let me know.
    check without root.

Download terminal emulater

Type in:
    su
    (to gain root permission)
    Than type in
    cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

Verify the result. SEMO4G is the "good" one & M4G2DE is the "bad" one.

You don't need to type "Su" as this method doesn't require it

Sent from my HTC Glacier Sense 3.5 using xda premium
    For anyone who needs it check without root.

Download terminal emulater

Type in:
    cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

Verify the result. SEMO4G is the "good" one & M4G2DE is the "bad" one.
    M4G2DE = Mytouch 4G 2 Die Early
    Hello Phateless do you remember me? lol I am always on diff name so ya.

But yes PD15IMG.zip is not the golden solution to everything. It all depends on how you originally rooted your MT4G as VISIONary+ (TempROOT) and root.sh (PermROOT). In that case your S=OFF security off flag is dependent on the eng hboot which was pushed to /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 during PermROOT.

Now since its not true security off once you have newer radio. You try to run PD15IMG.zip (Sense 2.2.1 Rom/Radio 26.03.02.26_M) after the first update which is stock hboot you would be locked due to it changing S=ON thus on next step it will fail due to the image being older than originally on which is currently flashed which would be the radio. In this case your in a point where you shouldn't be as you can be locked out and no way to reroot. which I am working on finding. This also goes for gfree radio s=off.

If you do want to go back download PD15IMG.zip (stock radio 26.03.02.26_M) and then flash it once that is done then you can revert back to stock rom/radio using standard PD15IMG.zip (Sense 2.2.1 Rom/Radio 26.03.02.26_M). Keep in mind unless the new PD15IMG.zip is out you can't revert it back if your locked out due to source being outdated than current image.