[APP][2.3+] Lux Auto Brightness

Search This thread

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
I think the app is no longer being updated; a few of these bugs are months old and he hasn't updated this post or Google Plus in a while, even after I posted there. :( I'm using Dimly now as a crude replacement as night time was when I only really needed Lux, but I'd love to go back to Lux if it gets updated.

dcrandon

Feb 19, 2011
I stopped using it on my Nexus 6 because of persistent problems with it suddenly going to full brightness when changing screens. Developer suggested making sure of a certain setting being correctly done. Can't remember exactly what it was, but it was the setting that he talks about on the initial splash screen when the app is installed.

Just got a Nexus 6P installed the app yesterday. Let's see how it goes.

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
The cf.lumen integration needs to be updated to work with the latest version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dcrandon

Feb 19, 2011
I just tried it on my N6P. And while it didn't get "stuck" at 100% brightness when switching screens like it did on my N6, it was constantly "hunting" for the right brightness even though I set it up using the Wizard.

Anybody have any ideas on how to stop the hunting of up and down brightness changes?

SeaDweller

May 28, 2007
Has there been any progress with the Edge panel / overlay issue that occurs on the Samsung S6 Edge?

Most annoying.

Haphim

Apr 25, 2009
There's a bug that a few people have run into in the last few versions (including the one that just got released a couple of days ago). When Lux is installed, you can't power off the phone. If you try, somewhere between a few seconds to a half minute after the phone looks like it turned off, it will turn right back on again. (KitKat, if it matters)

I've found only three ways of shutting off the phone fully:

1. Pull the battery.
2. Disable the Lux service before powering off.
3. Uninstall Lux.

Someone else having this bug said they've been emailing the Dev for months and never even got a reply, let alone a fix.

I know that a version only just got released, but the Dev used to be much more responsive to issues. Has he effectively given up on this app?

VictorAE.74

Mar 22, 2016
With camera as sensor lux dont refresh, or refresh sometimes not stable, brightness in "periodically" mode. Jitter off.
Refreshing by Tasker, but it would be the normal operation of the refresh in the application itself.

dpi295

Sep 27, 2008
I'm having a problem with the latest version. The screen filter will go off sometimes (i.e. revert back to stock android control) and I have to tap the widget in the notification drawer to get it back. I have tried the alternative overlay to no avail. I'm using a Nexus 6P.

Any fix for this? I have the brightness set to adjust dynamically.

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
I'm having a problem with the latest version. The screen filter will go off sometimes (i.e. revert back to stock android control) and I have to tap the widget in the notification drawer to get it back. I have tried the alternative overlay to no avail. I'm using a Nexus 6P.

Any fix for this? I have the brightness set to adjust dynamically.

Are you running CM? Or any other brightness-adjusting apps? Sounds like they're fighting for control.

alesinho

Aug 11, 2008
Hi all,

I have a question. Is possible to control only the filter (nocturne mode)? I don't want use Lux to control cel brightness.

Thanks!

Natural_born_chilla

Feb 25, 2011
I can not fully understand the difference between paid and free versions, but it's cool!

The free version can't go below 0%. My gf uses the free version and her HTC M8 is way to bright at night :)

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Another question I have: is it possible to have a fast switch to "brighter" and a slow to "darker"? Sometimes the brightness switches multiple times in a row because a tree or something is moving in the wind (hopefully my explanation is not too bad :) )

datawrhsdoc

May 7, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
How to use Tasker to turn Lux back on after timeout?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure how to get Tasker to automatically re-enable Lux after a specific period of time. This is really handy at the airport for electronic boarding passes and locations that scan loyalty cards. It is based on a recent posting on XDA that does not use tasker.

I've tried setting a timeout in Item 4 below, but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

My Profile is as follows:
Event - Shake Left-Right
1. If %BRIGHT ~ 255
2. Lux Plug-in: Configuration Enabled
3. Else
4. Lux Plug-in: Configuration Disabled
5. Auto Bightness: Set Off
6. Display Brightness: Level 255
7. End if

Thanks,
Doc

Update:
Resolved. I got rid of 2 and 3, added a 5 minute wait and Lux Enabled after 6, and created another profile that detects shake if BRIGHT ~ 255 then Lux Enbled.

Last edited:

Hadookie

Dec 23, 2014
Little Falls
Can someone let me know what the Kcal driver does and if it's suggested to have it enabled even if I'm only using this app for auto brightness? I've googled and searched this thread and there is nothing I've found that explains its function. If it matters I use EXKM for RGB adjustments.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    unnamed.png

Lux - The Original Android Auto-Brightness App

So I thought I should make an XDA thread for Lux, over a year after releasing it to the Play Store!

FULL or FREE

Issues/Suggestions

If you have any issues or suggestions, please add them to the public issue tracker found here. Be sure to search first, duplicated issues will not work in your favour.

News
    • Update to 1.51 released to Play Store!
      - Profiles. Have different behaviour for day and night!
      - Root plug-ins. Custom kernel with RGB control? Make a plug-in to utilise it!
      - Improved notification
      - Low pass filter
      - Cubic interpolation
      - Polish/French/Russian/German/Italian translation
      - Manual sunrise location input
      - Control Dashboard slider with vol. keys
      - Fade duration/step
      - Reduced battery usage
      - Fixes

• Update to 1.06 released to Play Store!
      - Automatic night mode (uses location for sunset/sunrise).
      - Notification priority
      - Enhanced dashboard and notification UI
      - Enable/disable and refresh Lux via Tasker
      - Bug fixes

• Update to 0.76 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed brightness issues after call

• Update to 0.74 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed max/phone brightness preferences swapped
      - Added ignore 0 lux option
      - Made static phone brightness optional

• Update to 0.70 released to Play Store!
      - New 'ascending' automatic mode for zero jitter!
      - Expandable notification for added control (Android 4.1+)
      - Improved efficiency
      - Install to OS functionality
      - Set min/max brightness bounds
      - Adjustable night mode
      - Improved persistence (Android won't kill it!)
      - Fixed Nexus 7 255 luma bug
      - Fixed Tasker 'on wake' revert bug
      - Compat. mode is now known as 'sleep mode'
      - Night Mode now default Dashboard action (hold for Astro. mode)
      - Misc. tweaks and fixes.

App Description

Lux isn't your ordinary brightness app. It intelligently adjusts the brightness of your display based on the environment you're in. If, for example, you step into a dimly lit room, Lux will automatically lower the brightness of your display to make it not only comfortable to read, but to also preserve battery power.
    Lux provides the option to automatically adjust the backlight at fixed intervals (periodic mode), when a change in environment is detected (dynamic mode), or when the phone wakes from sleep. It's also possible to adjust the backlight manually. Simply disable automatic mode and you can use it like a traditional brightness tool!
    Perhaps the best thing about Lux is that you can teach it how to behave. If the backlight is too bright or dim for your liking, simply open the provided Dashboard, adjust the brightness slider to the level you desire, then hold the link button. Lux will use this new 'link' as a reference in future.

Give it a go! I want you to test Lux for more than the 15 minute refund period offered by Google. I understand that some devices may not have the best quality light sensor, and that you may need more time to play around with settings. If you find that Lux doesn't suit you after the 15 minutes is up, you can request a refund at any time via e-mail - no questions asked.

★FEATURES★
    ■ Custom auto brightness.
    ■ Sub-zero brightness to make reading in the dark significantly less irritating.
    ■ Battery efficient
    ■ Handy brightness widget
    ■ Option to use the camera to read in ambient light.
    ■ Power-user settings such as choice of interpolation, sensor debugging, and linked sample editing.
    ■ Backup to SD.
    ■ 'Ascending' auto mode for phones with inaccurate light sensors.
    ■ Gradual fade for backlight adjustments.
    ■ Astronomer mode adds a red filter to the screen to preserve the eyesight of stargazers.
    ■ Jitter control to prevent constant small changes to the backlight.
    ■ Automatic night mode, to change the colour temperature of the display for comfortable night time viewing.
    ■ Add app specific exceptions via sleep mode
    ■ No ads, or other nuisances.
    ■ Tasker and Locale support!
    Note: Please disable other brightness apps before using Lux. The author is not liable for any issues caused when using this app.

★PERMISSIONS★
    TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Used to read in luma values, if camera input is selected.
    DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: Required for night/astro mode.
    READ PHONE STATE: Required to prevent Lux from interfering with phone controls in Android 4.1.
    MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS: Brightness is a system setting, as is toggling the default auto brightness.
    RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS: Required to make the 'sleep list' functionality work, so Lux can disable itself when certain apps are in the foreground.
    COARSE LOCATION: Required to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times.
    IN APP BILLING: Required for purchasing future device specific root only plug-ins, to enhance functionality.
    Lux Low-Level Plug-ins

Soon Lux will support plug-ins to bypass Android API limitations. These plug-ins serve to replace the overlay system Lux uses to make adjustments for Night/Astronomer modes and brightness in general. The plug-in library is free to use for non-commercial development, and can be found here:

Lux Plug-in Library | Nexus 4 Sample Plug-in Code

How to make a plug-in

There are two approaches to making a plug-in for Lux. The passive and the active method. The former is as easy as providing a set of superuser commands for Lux to interpret and apply. These command correlate to functions such as setting pixel RGB or brightness levels. This is the type of plug-in the Nexus 4 sample linked above takes.
    The active method requires you produce your own code to perform RGB/brightness adjustments. This might include importing a device specific library to do the heavy lifting, and then returning empty superuser commands back to Lux.

Getting Started

Simply import the Lux Plug-in Library source into your IDE as an Android Library Project, and then create a new Android app which extends PassiveDisplay.java.

PassiveDisplay provides hooks into Lux's plug-in framework, which you can use to provide superuser commands for Lux to execute. These commands correlate to functions such as setting RGB values. Take a look at the sample Nexus 4 project to see how it's all done.
    Finally, in your new project's AndroidManifest.xml file, add the following:

Code:
        <activity
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.MainActivity"
            android:label="@string/app_name" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

<receiver
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.LuxBroadcastReceiver"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.search" />
            </intent-filter>
        </receiver>

<service
            android:name=".[B]MY_PLUGIN[/B]"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="[B]YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE[/B]" />
            </intent-filter>
        </service>

Be sure to replace YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE with the name of your plug-in's package, and MY_PLUGIN with your extended PassiveDisplay class.

And that's it! Now you're ready to test!

Enabling Plug-In support within Lux

To enable plug-in support, you must check 'Enable plug-in support' in the Advanced section of Lux settings. Enabling this option forfeits all responsibility of mine for any issues caused while using Lux. Plug-in's can cause very real damage to your device if they're written incorrectly - don't use plug-ins from sources you don't trust!
    Testing your plug-in
    Testing is critical for creating a good plug-in. You are dealing directly with system files, and can easily cause damage if you do not know what you're doing.

DO NOT RELEASE A PLUG-IN WITHOUT TESTING IT ON THE TARGET DEVICE FIRST!

Ensure that the following work with your plug-in installed:
    • Astronomer Mode
    • Night Mode
    • General brightness adjustment
    • Lux readings functional

BE METICULOUS WITH YOUR IMPLEMENTATION OF isSupportedDevice()!
    Modifying system files on the wrong model/kernel may cause irreversible issues!

Licence
    Code:
    Copyright © 2013 Vito Cassisi

You may not use this library except in compliance with the following:
        - It cannot be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances, unless explicit permission is granted in writing from the author.
        - Modifications to this library may not be distributed.

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
    distributed under this licence is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
    Lux v1.99.8 released (staged rollout)

- Added CF.lumen support (don't need CF.lumen active, just install the driver). Acts as a plug-in for all Android 4.4+ devices. Please buy the pro version to support his work.
    - System autobrightness enabled during calls
    - Option to shake at lockscreen to increase brightness
    - Option to prevent drop in brightness in landscape
    - Enforced persistent notification, added system removal method
    - Fixed dashboard width issue
    - Fixed notification priority resetting at boot
    - Misc. fixes
    Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that people are having issues with the paid version. I'm working on hotfixes at the moment. A lot of these bugs don't appear on my test devices, which is why regressions happen seemingly randomly. I'm working hard on finding a reliable way to reproduce and test these issues to prevent this happening again.
    Apologies to everyone for not being around lately. I've been answering support via email.

A new release is rolling out on the market to 5% of users. Please use the 'Send Feedback' button in Lux preferences if you experience issues. Also, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.