[ROM] Virtuous v3.2.0 (12/19/10): Stock Sense *3.26.605.1* w/Fixes & Enhancements

Search This thread

rmk40

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2010
Virtuous-2.1.png
After asking around, I determined there was some interest in a simple, mostly-stock ROM based on the official HTC Sense/Froyo v3.26.605.1 release with only essential changes made; so I decided to go ahead and create one.

ROM Details:

• Based entirely off the off the the official HTC Sense/Froyo v3.26.605.1 release (pulled from signed RUU); which is being rolled out by Verizon via OTA as the final build.

• Moved some stock applications to /data/app, so they can easily be removed. To be clear, these apps remain enabled but can now be optionally removed using any Android uninstaller, rather than having to do it manually. This includes: App Sharing, Adobe Flashplayer, Car Panel, Flashlight, GenieWidget, PDFViewer, Quickoffice, Teeter, My Verizon, 3G Hotspot and YouTube.

• All apps placed in /data/app by the ROM will be automatically restored after a date wipe or factory reset (a special feature of this ROM). These apps can be freely uninstalled via Settings->Applications or the uninstaller of your choice. Note: They will return when the ROM is re-installed or upgraded.

• Disabled applications which the majority seems to agree are bloat, unneeded or can installed from the Market. This includes: Amazon MP3, City ID, HTC Footprints/Widget, VZ Navigator, Skype. If you decide you would like to use any of these apps, the APKs are available in the "system/virtuous" directory.

• Numerous customization options via ROM Manager, such as Virtuous' EZ-Customizer which allows removal of more stock apps without the use of adb or shell, status bar mods provided by pmf, Incredible Revolution theme and more.

• Automatic Virtuous OTA upgrade notification and installation via ROM Manager.

• Minor theme modifications to remove GPS locator icon in the status bar and add transparency to the notification pull down menu. Thanks to pardonmyfreedom (aka pmf) and aiccucs for doing the work.

• Added the Busybox installer application to allow upgrades as they become available. When running the installer, make sure to select /system/xbin as the destination.

• Updated Adobe Flash to the official release provided to N1 users via the Market.

• Updated Google Search and Google Voice Search to the latest Market versions.

• Updated Gmail 2.2.1. The default ROM includes 2.2, so this is a minor upgrade to the latest version available.

• Audio fixes to correct slow playback ("devil voices") of Flash videos on certain sites.

• Removed startup "Drooooooid" sound. It was annoying.

• Added the bash shell for those who work in adb or ssh into their phones. Just run "bash" to use it (it is not the default shell for compatibility reasons).

• Removed cdrom.iso to avoid being prompted to install Verzion/HTC hardware when the device is connected via USB.

Installation:

1. You must be rooted, have nand unlocked and be running a 2.x radio. Follow dadicus' guide for details on how to perform these steps.

2. Perform a nandroid backup of your current ROM, in case you change your mind or encounter issues.

3. If you are coming from another completely stock ROM (i.e. Sense 2.1 or 2.2), you may not have to wipe data. I obviously recommend wiping data (since it will eliminate any possibly bad/stale configuration), but the update script will not do so automatically during installation. Use your best judgement to determine what works best for you.

4. Wipes are NOT required for any upgrade to/from any 2.x version of the ROM; downgrades are a different story.

5. Apply the zip via Clockwork Recovery. It has not been tested with any other recovery.

6. Expect the first boot to take anywhere from 6-10 minutes. Subsequent reboots should be significantly quicker.

Disclaimer

As with any modification (ROM, patch, etc), you run the risk of damaging your device. While unlikely, it is important to consider this possibility before proceeding. I take no responsibility for any such damage, data loss or otherwise.

Last edited:

rmk40

Jun 13, 2010
Hboot Upgrade Instructions

As of Virtuous 3.2.0, hboot 0.92 is now required. This hboot shipped with the original Froyo OTA for the Incredible.

1. Download this file and place it at root of your sdcard.

2. Boot into the bootloader. There are several ways to do this. If you are already booted into Android, use Quickboot and select the Bootloader option. You can also use adb by typing "adb reboot bootloader". Or, simply power down the device. Once it is off, hold the volume down button and then press power.

3. Once in the bootloader, select the first option from the menu "bootloader". You should see a progress bar on the right side of the screen. If you do not, you did not perform step #1 correctly or your sdcard is not formatted FAT32.

4. You will then be prompted to confirm flashing boot, bootloader and recovery. Hit volume up to confirm and then reboot.

5. At this point hboot is upgraded. I recommend reinstalling Virtuous (either via ROM Manager or manually) just to be safe.

Frequently Asked Questions

Visit the FAQ section of our website.

Recommended Extras

Special Thanks

Several folks have been helping with the ROM and I would like to acknowledge them all here in no particular order.

• Unrevoked Team - For enabling customization to begin with.
  • ihtfp69 - Numerous tips on how to fix bugs. Check out his SkyRaider ROMs (Sense / Vanilla)
  • Adrynalyne -Custom Kernel, ROM collaboration and testing.
  • pardonmyfreedom - Location icon modification.
  • brucekey - Suggestions and testing.
  • Berzerker - Suggestions, testing and comedic relief.

Donations

Truth is I do this work because I enjoy it and it is a hobby. I am just pleased that people find what I am providing to be of value.

That being said, several folks have asked me about how to donate. If you would like to buy me a beer and help with hosting hosts, I've put up a link. No obligations whatsoever; you can also contribute by sticking around on this this thread and helping others work through any issues they encounter.

Thanks for trying my ROM!

Last edited:

thom2k

May 10, 2006
Add Footprints?

Thanks for this rom! I want to install footprints. I've tried with root explorer r/w on and off as well as astro. I've put the files in sytem/app, tried from disabled folder and even the sd card. It always goes through the install process correctley but always ends with
"application not installed". Any suggestions? Thanks

s-off

kentoe

Mar 17, 2010
This looks great. I'm mildly sure this is sort of what jdkeclipse was trying to accomplish. This is how the OP is done well and done right. Thanks rmk40

You should just throw some screenshots in there regardless of the fact that it's a stock rom.

J

jdkoreclipse

This looks great. I'm mildly sure this is sort of what jdkeclipse was trying to accomplish. This is how the OP is done well and done right. Thanks rmk40

You should just throw some screenshots in there regardless of the fact that it's a stock rom.

you will be surprised what my next release will bring.....

and good to rmk for this rom!

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

jitajt

Oct 10, 2008
Thanks for this rom! I want to install footprints. I've tried with root explorer r/w on and off as well as astro. I've put the files in sytem/app, tried from disabled folder and even the sd card. It always goes through the install process correctley but always ends with

s-off

you will probably have to push it through recovery with adb. I have noticed that if I use root explorer to add things to system/app they usually will not work for some reason, and the only way it will is through recovery or if I make a small flashable zip file.

tats_06

Dec 7, 2009
Rmk, you just released it and a newer leak showed up today. Are you by chance going to mod the new one as well with your touches? ;)

tcberg2010

Apr 12, 2010
North Carolina
Haha, this awesome. Right after u get done with the work A new leak is released. Regardless this is very much appreciated.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

rmk40

Jun 13, 2010

s-off

Since that's an HTC app, you'll need to do that via recovery. Boot into recovery, adb shell, mount /system and go ahead and copy/move the files.

rmk40

Jun 13, 2010
Rmk, you just released it and a newer leak showed up today. Are you by chance going to mod the new one as well with your touches? ;)

I just saw it. Yes, that's definitely the plan. :)

We need to get it deodexed, figure out which bugs are present in the new leak, etc. As soon as I have something I feel confident works well, I'll go ahead and put it up.

enomele

Jun 16, 2010
chippewa
Got home to a pleasant surprise! Got 2.0 flashed, and got a quadrant score of ~1300. Flashed KiNgxKernel BFS #1 and jumped my quadrant up to ~1600 running at 1113mhz. Also got solid 36s in linpack.

Ty for throwing this together. Was exactly what I was looking for! Even down to the boot animation sound. Gotta figure out how to change the boot animation still... kinda new to this.

Anyway, solid work. Keep us posted if anything new shows up.

Last edited:

s197

Jun 28, 2010
Is bump charging still needed or does the phone finally charge properly?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Virtuous-2.1.png
    After asking around, I determined there was some interest in a simple, mostly-stock ROM based on the official HTC Sense/Froyo v3.26.605.1 release with only essential changes made; so I decided to go ahead and create one.

ROM Details:

• Based entirely off the off the the official HTC Sense/Froyo v3.26.605.1 release (pulled from signed RUU); which is being rolled out by Verizon via OTA as the final build.

• Moved some stock applications to /data/app, so they can easily be removed. To be clear, these apps remain enabled but can now be optionally removed using any Android uninstaller, rather than having to do it manually. This includes: App Sharing, Adobe Flashplayer, Car Panel, Flashlight, GenieWidget, PDFViewer, Quickoffice, Teeter, My Verizon, 3G Hotspot and YouTube.

• All apps placed in /data/app by the ROM will be automatically restored after a date wipe or factory reset (a special feature of this ROM). These apps can be freely uninstalled via Settings->Applications or the uninstaller of your choice. Note: They will return when the ROM is re-installed or upgraded.

• Disabled applications which the majority seems to agree are bloat, unneeded or can installed from the Market. This includes: Amazon MP3, City ID, HTC Footprints/Widget, VZ Navigator, Skype. If you decide you would like to use any of these apps, the APKs are available in the "system/virtuous" directory.

• Numerous customization options via ROM Manager, such as Virtuous' EZ-Customizer which allows removal of more stock apps without the use of adb or shell, status bar mods provided by pmf, Incredible Revolution theme and more.

• Automatic Virtuous OTA upgrade notification and installation via ROM Manager.

• Minor theme modifications to remove GPS locator icon in the status bar and add transparency to the notification pull down menu. Thanks to pardonmyfreedom (aka pmf) and aiccucs for doing the work.

• Added the Busybox installer application to allow upgrades as they become available. When running the installer, make sure to select /system/xbin as the destination.

• Updated Adobe Flash to the official release provided to N1 users via the Market.

• Updated Google Search and Google Voice Search to the latest Market versions.

• Updated Gmail 2.2.1. The default ROM includes 2.2, so this is a minor upgrade to the latest version available.

• Audio fixes to correct slow playback ("devil voices") of Flash videos on certain sites.

• Removed startup "Drooooooid" sound. It was annoying.

• Added the bash shell for those who work in adb or ssh into their phones. Just run "bash" to use it (it is not the default shell for compatibility reasons).

• Removed cdrom.iso to avoid being prompted to install Verzion/HTC hardware when the device is connected via USB.

Installation:

1. You must be rooted, have nand unlocked and be running a 2.x radio. Follow dadicus' guide for details on how to perform these steps.

2. Perform a nandroid backup of your current ROM, in case you change your mind or encounter issues.

3. If you are coming from another completely stock ROM (i.e. Sense 2.1 or 2.2), you may not have to wipe data. I obviously recommend wiping data (since it will eliminate any possibly bad/stale configuration), but the update script will not do so automatically during installation. Use your best judgement to determine what works best for you.

4. Wipes are NOT required for any upgrade to/from any 2.x version of the ROM; downgrades are a different story.

5. Apply the zip via Clockwork Recovery. It has not been tested with any other recovery.

6. Expect the first boot to take anywhere from 6-10 minutes. Subsequent reboots should be significantly quicker.

Disclaimer

As with any modification (ROM, patch, etc), you run the risk of damaging your device. While unlikely, it is important to consider this possibility before proceeding. I take no responsibility for any such damage, data loss or otherwise.

Hboot Upgrade Instructions

As of Virtuous 3.2.0, hboot 0.92 is now required. This hboot shipped with the original Froyo OTA for the Incredible.

1. Download this file and place it at root of your sdcard.

2. Boot into the bootloader. There are several ways to do this. If you are already booted into Android, use Quickboot and select the Bootloader option. You can also use adb by typing "adb reboot bootloader". Or, simply power down the device. Once it is off, hold the volume down button and then press power.

3. Once in the bootloader, select the first option from the menu "bootloader". You should see a progress bar on the right side of the screen. If you do not, you did not perform step #1 correctly or your sdcard is not formatted FAT32.

4. You will then be prompted to confirm flashing boot, bootloader and recovery. Hit volume up to confirm and then reboot.

5. At this point hboot is upgraded. I recommend reinstalling Virtuous (either via ROM Manager or manually) just to be safe.

Frequently Asked Questions

Visit the FAQ section of our website.

Recommended Extras

Special Thanks

Several folks have been helping with the ROM and I would like to acknowledge them all here in no particular order.

• Unrevoked Team - For enabling customization to begin with.
    • ihtfp69 - Numerous tips on how to fix bugs. Check out his SkyRaider ROMs (Sense / Vanilla)
    • Adrynalyne -Custom Kernel, ROM collaboration and testing.
    • pardonmyfreedom - Location icon modification.
    • brucekey - Suggestions and testing.
    • Berzerker - Suggestions, testing and comedic relief.

Donations

Truth is I do this work because I enjoy it and it is a hobby. I am just pleased that people find what I am providing to be of value.

That being said, several folks have asked me about how to donate. If you would like to buy me a beer and help with hosting hosts, I've put up a link. No obligations whatsoever; you can also contribute by sticking around on this this thread and helping others work through any issues they encounter.

Thanks for trying my ROM!
    So what are the chances of getting a new build of this ROM based on the 2.3.4 build that was leaked a couple days ago?

As promised, I will update to the new official base. I'll post my progress via Twitter and obviously update the thread here when it's ready.
    Virtuous v3.2.0 has been released.

And yes, the custom kernel is available separately.

Enjoy!
    Virtuous 3.2.0 will be released later today (Saturday 12/18).

Changelog is already up:
    http://goo.gl/KwQLR