How cable length and chargers affect charge rate

Search This thread

lbloo

Apr 28, 2006
I recently purchased a handful of Monoprice micro USB cables in 3 different lengths. I thought it would be interesting to test the different cables with two different chargers and share the results.

Test Equipment:
Load: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Custom 4.3 ROM (Carbon), battery @60%
Measuring tool: Charge Doctor (USB voltage and amp meter)

Stuff to test:
Cables: 12", 36" and 72" Monoprice micro USB cables
Charger 1: Samsung 2.0A USB charger (Stock Note 2)
Charger 2: Asus 1.35A USB Charger (Stock Nexus 7, 2013)

Assumption:
Each of the Monoprice USB cables are made with the same gage wire, visually they look the same.

Method:
Phone turned on, camera app loaded, attached the test USB cable photographed the results on the amp meter. I tested each of the 3 cables the same way and repeated the tests with the 2nd charger. Did it all within 10 minutes so that the amount of charge on the phone didn't change significantly.

Results: (See attachments)

Analysis:
- The Asus charger, even though it is capable of putting out 1.35A and even though the phone is capable of accepting at least 1.0A (demonstrated with the Samsung charger), it could only deliver .73A
- The Asus charger seemed to max out at .73A as the 12" and 36" cables had the same results
- The graph indicates the Samsung charger may be able to do better with an even shorter cable

Conclusions:

1) The shorter the cable the faster the charge, but there's a limit
2) The higher amps the charger is capable of, the faster the charge, there must be a limit but I only had 2 chargers to test
3) Duh!

Attachments

• Results.png
    Results.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 23,081
  • Graph.png
    Graph.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 29,587

Scrawson

Apr 6, 2012
Awesome data. As expected, there is a difference between the current rating on the charger, max current draw on the phone, and actual use, but I didn't expect it to be so much.

I'm curious how much my charger setup gets and concerned that if I did get up above 1A I might overheat my phone. Next test is battery temperature after a few minutes of charging at various currents.

Analysis:
- The Asus charger, even though it is capable of putting out 1.35A and even though the phone is capable of accepting at least 1.0A (demonstrated with the Samsung charger), it could only deliver .73A
- The Asus charger seemed to max out at .73A as the 12" and 36" cables had the same results
- The graph indicates the Samsung charger may be able to do better with an even shorter cable

lbloo

Apr 28, 2006
Awesome data. As expected, there is a difference between the current rating on the charger, max current draw on the phone, and actual use, but I didn't expect it to be so much.

I'm curious how much my charger setup gets and concerned that if I did get up above 1A I might overheat my phone. Next test is battery temperature after a few minutes of charging at various currents.

Good idea, I even have an IR instant read thermometer, but it'll take more time to test. To give the battery time to heat up I'd assume I'd have to wait at least 5 minutes, then I'd have to let it rest to get back to room temperature, that might take even longer. If I get ambitious I'll do it.

Dec 5, 2013
Easy answer.

It does not.

(unless you have a cable so long, the voltage drop over the cable brings the voltage below 4.75V)

Ryccardo

Nov 12, 2013
Imola

The source, wiring and connections may limit the current, but so will the phone: don't worry about using a cable shorter than the average mosquito :p

With most devices you can actually choose between some preset limits (or freely input one) through sysfs...

killerdroidz

Sep 23, 2015
hi there. although this thread is old. id like to share my experience on this matter. So i bought a fast charger brand samsung S6. it comes with its own cable. so one day the cable broke so i modified it to be longer. Im using a zenfone 6. the samsung charger blok support up to 2.1A. So the cable now is 5 feet. before i charge my phone from 0% to 100% takes 2.5 hours to fill up. now after enhancing the cable length my phone took 6 hour to fill up from 0% to 100%.

Then i bought a Hp cable that is just around 7cm in length charged my phone and supprisingly it only took 2 hrs to charge my phone from 0% to 100%.. Length does matter LOL!!!

Just sharing, i know its not even a high tech stuff. Am just reviving an old thread thats all.. cheers.

HalFBlooDPrincE

Feb 1, 2016
jamshedpur
Yes because the flow of current

sent from IT Heaven

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Becaues the flow of current

sent from IT Heaven

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently purchased a handful of Monoprice micro USB cables in 3 different lengths. I thought it would be interesting to test the different cables with two different chargers and share the results.

Test Equipment:
    Load: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Custom 4.3 ROM (Carbon), battery @60%
    Measuring tool: Charge Doctor (USB voltage and amp meter)

Stuff to test:
    Cables: 12", 36" and 72" Monoprice micro USB cables
    Charger 1: Samsung 2.0A USB charger (Stock Note 2)
    Charger 2: Asus 1.35A USB Charger (Stock Nexus 7, 2013)

Assumption:
    Each of the Monoprice USB cables are made with the same gage wire, visually they look the same.

Method:
    Phone turned on, camera app loaded, attached the test USB cable photographed the results on the amp meter. I tested each of the 3 cables the same way and repeated the tests with the 2nd charger. Did it all within 10 minutes so that the amount of charge on the phone didn't change significantly.

Results: (See attachments)

Analysis:

Conclusions:

1) The shorter the cable the faster the charge, but there's a limit
    2) The higher amps the charger is capable of, the faster the charge, there must be a limit but I only had 2 chargers to test
    3) Duh!
    hi there. although this thread is old. id like to share my experience on this matter. So i bought a fast charger brand samsung S6. it comes with its own cable. so one day the cable broke so i modified it to be longer. Im using a zenfone 6. the samsung charger blok support up to 2.1A. So the cable now is 5 feet. before i charge my phone from 0% to 100% takes 2.5 hours to fill up. now after enhancing the cable length my phone took 6 hour to fill up from 0% to 100%.

Then i bought a Hp cable that is just around 7cm in length charged my phone and supprisingly it only took 2 hrs to charge my phone from 0% to 100%.. Length does matter LOL!!!

Just sharing, i know its not even a high tech stuff. Am just reviving an old thread thats all.. cheers.