Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
so ive been following this thread. and just been wondering a few things....
DZO
maybe we could get an new update list to where the project is at.

maybe you can also post a few jobs for people to help you with.....

-----

i would love for the dialpad numbers not to overlap, to be the right size, but thats just cosmetics right now.
my sdcard still will now show ANYTHING when i try to media scan it not sure if im doing something wrong.
some people say there sd cards work. so i dunno :p
----
i dont realy like the vibrate when i use the onscreen keyboard. but i could get used to it i guess..
i was also wondering when we might be able to get into the settings function from the home screen.

just my 2 cents. take it or leave it.
i still think what your doing is great and i hope you continue, i think its time for me to finaly give a donation to someone.

I haven't had much time to spend on this in the last week, but I'll try to get a few things done soon. My priorities are: Power Collapse, so the battery lasts longer; better keyboard (translucent perhaps); reading media on sdcard; working charge/battery indicator; pppd should connect on demand; vibrate controlled by android rather than my ril; working camera (may have to wait for open source for this since I'm not sure the SDK image supports it);

The dialpad nos are the wrong size because the interface is really designed for a larger screen than we have (also why some menus disappear of the bottom of the screen). When it's all open source we will be able to change this. Scanning for media finds my music and the raw image viewer shows photos I have on the card but it should work better that this.

As for donating, I'm not doing this for the money but if you want to donate, use this:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=M%2eJ%2eJohnson%40massey%2eac%2enz&lc=GB&item_name=Vogue%20Android%20Donation&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted

If not, no problem, go and buy something made in New Zealand instead, we make some tasty cheeses that should be available everywhere in the world!

Milkan

May 2, 2008
Timout extracting

Hi,

I have a Bell Touch (htc vogue) and I installed the kit at the root of my sd card (had a '/sdcard/system' not found, but it was because garmin XT create a system folder in the root of the sd card, I renamed it in the meantime to be able to make android work). I have 1GB free on the sd card and the first thing the kit do is extract the image and system file, but I have a lot of 'Timeout' while the extraction is done. The result is corrupted files who don't work. Any idea to solve this? I have a kingston memory card, I don't have the exact model, but I can provide it if relevant.

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Open the kbd and press sym 0 to get a console and sym 6 to go back to the UI. It doesn't work that well though because keypresses still go to android as well as the console. For remote shell access you could compile ssh for android and get it to connect to a server and tunnel telnet to your phone, you could also probably do the same with nc which is on the phone already.

Thanks! As for using the console on the phone, yeah, I've tried it... and well, I'd rather not dial random phone numbers every time I hit Enter. But I will try and get a ssh/telnet tunnel set up.

sadoway

May 28, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't had much time to spend on this in the last week, but I'll try to get a few things done soon. My priorities are: Power Collapse, so the battery lasts longer; better keyboard (translucent perhaps); reading media on sdcard; working charge/battery indicator; pppd should connect on demand; vibrate controlled by android rather than my ril; working camera (may have to wait for open source for this since I'm not sure the SDK image supports it);

The dialpad nos are the wrong size because the interface is really designed for a larger screen than we have (also why some menus disappear of the bottom of the screen). When it's all open source we will be able to change this. Scanning for media finds my music and the raw image viewer shows photos I have on the card but it should work better that this.

As for donating, I'm not doing this for the money but if you want to donate, use this:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=M%2eJ%2eJohnson%40massey%2eac%2enz&lc=GB&item_name=Vogue%20Android%20Donation&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted

If not, no problem, go and buy something made in New Zealand instead, we make some tasty cheeses that should be available everywhere in the world!

sounds great!!!

well. i WAS going to donate, but seriusely now..... you have no idea how much i love cheese, i think cheese is a better idea. but ill think about you while i eat it.

arigold1

Nov 30, 2007
Georgia!
Hi, i'm having this issue not sure what to do: When I launch Android I get: "The file haret cannot be opened.. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file"

I just did a fresh cab install, not sure what I might be missing. Anyone else have this issue?

Ari

Kiraly

Jan 2, 2008
Manassas
Hi, i'm having this issue not sure what to do: When I launch Android I get: "The file haret cannot be opened.. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file"

I just did a fresh cab install, not sure what I might be missing. Anyone else have this issue?

Ari

I had the same problem. I was able to launch Android by using file explorer to navigate to the Android files on my SD card. I then simply open haret and Android loads.

When I installed the CAB, all the Android files were put into "storage_card/program_files/Android". I moved all Android files to the root of my card.

Will someone please explain how one adds applications that can then be used when in the Android environment? ****edit**** I read some on this subject and tried the instructions posted earlier in this thread, which were to add the app files to a folder on the SD card called "AndroidApps". I did this and then added a few programs that I found on helloandroid.com. I also added the httpdownloader.apk from code.google.com/p/android-random. So far the only app that I can see in Android is httpdownloader. Perhaps the others that I added are not compatible with the 1.0 SDK.

Last edited:

Kiraly

Jan 2, 2008
Manassas
if you used my cab files to install android, then moved the files in the program folder it wont work. the shortcut points to where the files get installed so moving them breaks the link.

Thank you for your CAB. It made adding the files very easy. I only moved the files after I got the error and read that the files should be in the root of the SD card. At any rate, opening haret manually works just fine.

Last edited:

Kiraly

Jan 2, 2008
Manassas
I turned on silent mode...now can't turn it off.

I was typing a txt to my brother and got distracted. The phone went into standby with the txt half composed and the keyboard deployed. At first I couldn't wake it. I pushed the red button and then the power button and maybe some other buttons in a random order...but the power button was the last one that I pressed. The phone woke and I saw the keyboard and a button where the txt... err, text should have been, the button said Power Down. I used the D-pad and scrolled up to see another button that said Silent Mode. I pressed the button to see if it would work. Then I wanted to see if I was in some kind of settings menu so I pushed the camera button to exit the keyboard. The settings menu disappeared and the messaging app reappeared. At the top of the screen I now have a music note with a slash through it. I took a picture and then did a soft reset thinking that once I loaded Android again it would no longer be in silent mode. I was wrong. I know that I can uninstall the CAB and then reinstall but I don't want to have to reenter my contacts.

Is there a way to save contacts? OR is there a file that I can replace without uninstalling the whole thing that will revert Android back to stock but not delete my contacts?

I've tried, without success, to recreate the incident. I did learn that one can use the camera button to unlock the screen. This does deploy the keyboard.

2925435216_f1c8a3c40f.jpg

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
I was typing a txt to my brother and got distracted. The phone went into standby with the txt half composed and the keyboard deployed. At first I couldn't wake it. I pushed the red button and then the power button and maybe some other buttons in a random order...but the power button was the last one that I pressed. The phone woke and I saw the keyboard and a button where the txt... err, text should have been, the button said Power Down. I used the D-pad and scrolled up to see another button that said Silent Mode. I pressed the button to see if it would work. Then I wanted to see if I was in some kind of settings menu so I pushed the camera button to exit the keyboard. The settings menu disappeared and the messaging app reappeared. At the top of the screen I now have a music note with a slash through it. I took a picture and then did a soft reset thinking that once I loaded Android again it would no longer be in silent mode. I was wrong. I know that I can uninstall the CAB and then reinstall but I don't want to have to reenter my contacts.

Is there a way to save contacts? OR is there a file that I can replace without uninstalling the whole thing that will revert Android back to stock but not delete my contacts?

I've tried, without success, to recreate the incident. I did learn that one can use the camera button to unlock the screen. This does deploy the keyboard.

2925435216_f1c8a3c40f.jpg

A long press of the end call button should bring up a menu that lets you mute audio, thats probably what you did.

Magister2k7

Sep 3, 2008
Chernihiv
magister.ipsys.net
VCard import

So, here is my first application for Google Android.
It will import contacts to Android’s address book from a file in VCard (.vcf) format.
Imported fields:
- Name
- All phones
- All emails
- Notes
Limitations:
If contact already exists, it will be deleted and a new contact is created. So don’t use this software for regular synchronization.
Download at http://magister.ipsys.net/lang/uk/2008/10/10/android-vcard-import

kushdeck

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 22, 2007
kila kali
www.dev-host.org
Truely... Simply... AMAZING!

After running android since the very first public release (thank you dzo for your continued work) I am VERY impressed with the latest work. Here are my 2 cents on what should be worked on and/or fixed.

1. GPS
2. Keyboard.
If you have the image files or the keyboard, if u want to send them over i could do my best to come up with some sort of skin to better fit the theme, and look ALOT better.
3. Dialer.
Same goes with the dialer. It seems as if the images were too big and were scaled down to fit the vogue screen. I am willing to fix the dialer images as well if possible (im not a pro, just my observation). Also the text on the call history tabs overlap the actual pictures. Once again i believe this is due to scaling down for the vogue.
4. Was going to be some sort of contact import, but the post below from Magister2k7 seems to have solved the issue for now. (downloading and testing.)
5. Picture Viewer Does not work. Although Raw image viewer seems to work.
6. Camera. Seems as if it is not finding the memory card for some reason.
7. Bluetooth. Only because its a law to have while driving in the usa.
8. Where do i adjust volume?

These are the problems i can remember off the top of my head. As i stated before, i am willing to do anything needed graphic wise, hence i suck with coding. :)

I am SOOO close to runnin this full time and kicking wm to the curb on my vogue :>

-deck

Last edited:

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
dzo,

Just wanted to send out another thanks you to. This project is the best demonstration of Open Source power since Linux hit the desktop PC IMO.

For the most part, I'm just waiting for the right software to go full time, but I'll still find it difficult until bluetooth support is in place. Have you begun to evaluate the challenges there? Any idea if/when you'll take a stab at that?

Kiraly

Jan 2, 2008
Manassas
So, here is my first application for Google Android.
It will import contacts to Android’s address book from a file in VCard (.vcf) format.
Imported fields:
- Name
- All phones
- All emails
- Notes
Limitations:
If contact already exists, it will be deleted and a new contact is created. So don’t use this software for regular synchronization.
Download at http://magister.ipsys.net/lang/uk/2008/10/10/android-vcard-import

Good on you! I'm going to give this a try.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..