HTC Volantis to be the next Nexus Tablet

Search This thread

NovaSlim

May 25, 2013
Columbus,Indiana
Shameless plug to my own article, but this is hot off the press. It seems that the HTC Volantis will be the next Nexus tablet. Pretty impressive specs.....big price to match. What do you guys think?

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-htc-volantis-is-set-to-be-the-next-google-nexus-tablet

4:3? $399 for 16GB?? It would take a lot for me to buy a Touchwiz Tablet over a Nexus but this would do it. If that is how it will be I will be buying a Galaxy Tab S 8.4" instead of this thing. 80% of my daily tablet is usage is watching videos of some sort and 4:3 just don't work for that at this age.

Plus I wouldn't call the spec impressively, 2GB Ram is standard nowadays and Tegra K1 is nice, but 2048X1536(reported as 2048x1440 due to onscreen buttons) is lower res than Tab Pro/Tab S 8.4 and Kindle Fire HDX(all are 8.9" and smaller with 2560x1600 res).

Last edited:

ncguy68

Dec 18, 2011
North Carolina
Shameless plug to my own article, but this is hot off the press. It seems that the HTC Volantis will be the next Nexus tablet. Pretty impressive specs.....big price to match. What do you guys think?

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-htc-volantis-is-set-to-be-the-next-google-nexus-tablet

I can't see Google going with 4:3 and only 2gb of RAM. Both are non starters for me. I would buy a Galaxy Tab Pro before this and deal with the darn physical button(s).

Sent from my LG-V500 using xda premium

brett_day

Out of all the specs listed I was most surprised that it is only rumored to have 2gb of RAM. With a 64-bit processor in tow, I was expecting more. Just remember that these are just rumored specs. Still $399 is a little steep, however I would still pick one up over other devices just because of quick updates, hopefully easy boot loader unlocking and, quality ROM development.

Mr Dasher

Jan 10, 2011
I agree that I thought the spec's to be a bit lack for such a long wait (Q4) but the upside is the 64-bit processor. I got tired of waiting so I ordered a Tab S 8.4 and I will buy a Note 4 when it's released. . I am at the point with Android that I think it works well in regards to performance and I usually replace my devices every couple of years so I am less reliant on updates. I haven't even rooted my latest tablet ( Note Pro 12.2). So in other words I will be passing on this one.

brett_day

I agree that I thought the spec's to be a bit lack for such a long wait (Q4) but the upside is the 64-bit processor. I got tired of waiting so I ordered a Tab S 8.4 and I will buy a Note 4 when it's released. . I am at the point with Android that I think it works well in regards to performance and I usually replace my devices every couple of years so I am less reliant on updates. I haven't even rooted my latest tablet ( Note Pro 12.2). So in other words I will be passing on this one.

Yeah the Tegra K1 is certainly an interesting processor, and it will be interesting to see how Google approach 64-bit Android. I agree with you that Android is at a point where rooting and rom'ing to get enhanced performance has perhaps seen it's hey dey, but regardless of that, there will always be those who love to tinker :) Why Google seem to be going the route they are is beyond me, I would rather have a slightly less premium build quality in terms of material used to cut costs, but obviously there has been enough demand, or their have been enough voices raised for them to ditch plastic in favor of aluminum. I will just stick with my Nexus 7, it already does everything I need it to do, and it's at a price that I can live with :)

Reactions: NovaSlim

NovaSlim

May 25, 2013
Columbus,Indiana
Yeah the Tegra K1 is certainly an interesting processor, and it will be interesting to see how Google approach 64-bit Android. I agree with you that Android is at a point where rooting and rom'ing to get enhanced performance has perhaps seen it's hey dey, but regardless of that, there will always be those who love to tinker :) Why Google seem to be going the route they are is beyond me, I would rather have a slightly less premium build quality in terms of material used to cut costs, but obviously there has been enough demand, or their have been enough voices raised for them to ditch plastic in favor of aluminum. I will just stick with my Nexus 7, it already does everything I need it to do, and it's at a price that I can live with :)

I concur with what you said, plus Nexus 7 have the aspect ratio that I prefer(16:10). So if Google wants to sell Nexus 9 with those specs and 4:3 aspect ratio then I will just keep my Nexus 7 and wait till a new 16:10 Gpe/Silver Tablet or the next 16:10 Nexus tablet instead.

Duffmantp

Jun 26, 2011
Also, reading that a LTE model could cost $600? I was really hoping for more. But we will know offically next week at I/O. If thats all we really have foward to, I will probably make Galaxy Tab S 10" my next device. I have been wanting a bigger tablet and LTE. I was hoping for it here, but if this proves to the final model. Ill move on. I love ease of rooting, unlocking bootloader and contract free. We know Nexus targets that middle ground. But if this is the middle ground with high end pricing, im not so sure they will make a impact.

NovaSlim

May 25, 2013
Columbus,Indiana
Also, reading that a LTE model could cost $600? I was really hoping for more. But we will know offically next week at I/O. If thats all we really have foward to, I will probably make Galaxy Tab S 10" my next device. I have been wanting a bigger tablet and LTE. I was hoping for it here, but if this proves to the final model. Ill move on. I love ease of rooting, unlocking bootloader and contract free. We know Nexus targets that middle ground. But if this is the middle ground with high end pricing, im not so sure they will make a impact.

Not sure if they will say much about Volantis/flounder at I/O if it is due in Q4, the most they do is show off some Android L features like how Apple did with iOS8 at WWDC.

I do get the feeling they will announce a few new Gpe/Silver devices as 4(Galaxy S4, HTC One 2013, Xperia Z Ultra & Gpad 8.3) out of 6 current Gpe devices have gone out of stock recently. I am hoping for a Galaxy Tab S 8.4/10.5 Gpe release.

Only 2GB of RAM blows my mind.

Same here, Basically this a device that is out-speced by the recently announced Galaxy Tab S 8.4(same price and have SD slot) in every aspect aside from the SOC. It would be a really tough sell at its Q4 release date.

Last edited:

Duffmantp

Jun 26, 2011
Not sure if they will say much about Volantis/flounder at I/O if it is due in Q4, the most they do is show off some Android L features like how Apple did with iOS8 at WWDC.

I do get the feeling they will announce a few new Gpe/Silver devices as 4(Galaxy S4, HTC One 2013, Xperia Z Ultra & Gpad 8.3) out of 6 current Gpe devices have gone out of stock recently. I am hoping for a Galaxy Tab S 8.4/10.5 Gpe release.

I would most certainly go with a GPE Tab S. But i want the multi window. Is it on Nexus 7 2013 through Xposed? I haven't look. That's probably the only feature that i would like. Especially on a 10"

NovaSlim

May 25, 2013
Columbus,Indiana
I would most certainly go with a GPE Tab S. But i want the multi window. Is it on Nexus 7 2013 through Xposed? I haven't look. That's probably the only feature that i would like. Especially on a 10"

It is not a xposed feature, it is an OmniROM feature that is still in early beta. I think it might work eventually but if you want stable multi-window I guess you have no option but to put up with Touchwiz for now.

Duffmantp

Jun 26, 2011
It is not a xposed feature, it is an OmniROM feature that is still in early beta. I think it might work eventually but if you want stable multi-window I guess you have no option but to put up with Touchwiz for now.

I don't care for tw, but like the multi window feature. My only hesitant waiting for another rooting and unlocking exploit for a Samsung device. There is always hope. But I love the ease of,
fastboot oem unlock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

ekine

Apr 10, 2010
I don't believe any of this news (rumor) neither the date nor the aspect ratio (4:3) I believe aren't consistent

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.