Dialer using large amount of battery after update on Gingerbread

Search This thread

FlareHeart

Nov 2, 2010
...I have not tested it with bluetooth devices since I don't use one. If possible could someone try testing what I have done as well as bluetooth to confirm. This would go inline with previous issues of the sensor and give all of us specifics in which to complain to HTC and Google about.

I have tried this extensively over the past little while and the Dialer for me will only appear after I make a call, and doesn't normally show up after I just receive one. The Bluetooth pairing doesn't seem to help either.

I know it has been mentioned that maybe it's bad reporting (and the battery isn't draining any faster), but that's definitely not the case since I notice an EXTREME increase in battery drain when the Dialer starts to work its way up in my battery usage list.

This is starting to get really irritating. I mean I don't make that many phone calls, but the effort of having to reboot my phone EVERY time is still NOT something that should be happening...I was hoping that the "Hint of Sense 3" (provided by Lee's patch for the ROM I'm currently using) would bump the dialer to a version that didn't have this issue, but even that doesn't help.

EDIT: My ROM is the LeeDroid HD-V3.3.3 GB-R5 with a hint of Sense 3 on a HTC Desire (original)

Last edited:

Marioaguado

Aug 6, 2007
Stockholm
Hello I'm using ARHD 6.1.0 and it looks like the issue is gone I'm so happy battery life now is simply amazing

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using xda premium

DDesires

Aug 14, 2011
HTC Desire S here, and this problem suddenly started to happen.

I have a habit of downloading many apps, then uninstalling etc.

So I figured it was one of them.

Dialer is, like many people here, the main battery drain showing up.

However, I also noted issues with google sync and the battery drain.

When I disable sync, the battery drain issue goes away. (just rebooted now on full charge to monitor if dialer goes too.)

(update: it hasn't)

Also, I note even though I have sync disabled and Wifi is on, it's still suggesting "matched contacts" from Twitter. I can't seem to turn this feature off, any ideas?

But why is it still suggesting contacts when sync background data is off?

But, my point is this. This only started to occur over the last two days. Not due to an OS upgrade or anything.

I can only assume it's a conflict perhaps between an app, and the OS?

If we list our apps, it might help to find a common one that's triggered this?

(update)

I disabled sync. Restarted phone. Dialer disappeared. Phone's been up 2 hours now and is at 99% with wifi running. I believe sync is happening due to twitter on the sync options. Not disabled yet. No apps are syncing online that I am aware, only contacts.

I have also received, and sent a sms. Still no Dialer.

I checked gmail, twitter, and a strong usage RSS reader via manual for 15 mins. Still no dialer.

Battery now at 96%

After each test I left the phone for 30 mins then checked for dialer.

Nothing.

I opened my phone contacts via the phone button. Searched through them. Closed. Still no dialer.

30 mins later I made a 2 min call. Battery dropped to 94% ... still no dialer!

So far it's looking like this is a sync issue or a sync combined with an app issue.

(update)

30 mins after making the 2 minute call I turned on the phone to look at the battery.

Dialer is back!
Snowing 5% usage, meanwhile, voice call has dropped to 2 %.

From memory, dialer was always there previously at around this number. Am leaving the phone now for a while to see if it suddenly starts to eat up the battery or not.

Am also looking at a samsung ace 2.2.1, no dialer is present.

Update

Overnight, wifi turned off, battery down to 64% Dialer up to 14%

This morning I checked feeds, email etc for 1.30 hours battery hit 48%. Total time on battery is now 14 hours

I decided at this stage to turn on background notifications, and gave gmail a kick to make sure it was working.

Dialer now at 13% drop due to other apps like feed readers taking up %.

Twitter, gmail etc are all active and syncing.

I'm now curious to see if this battery will plummet like yesterday.

One thing for sure, dialer was never this high a few days ago. I am still convinced this is an app OS conflict.

will continue monitoring today.

Update

Well syncing was on. And twitter was on all day, I noticed that auto sync was not ticked. Just ticked it. Light usage. Battery at 23% after 25 hours.

Dialer is still at 17%

All syncing is now working .. Let's see if it will drop now ...

Update

I've tried various options over the past few days.

Clearly restarting the phone after using the dial pad, or sms prevents dialer from consuming battery on the stats. however, I've not noticed a huge difference in actual battery usage on a practical side. So wither Dialer is not really consuming 17% or it's related to the below.

Google sync was 100% causing a massive decrease in the battery. Once I shut all of this off. The Battery, even with Dialer showing, was lasting the same as before.

I had to manually sync the various google channels to see which one causing the issue. For me, it was contacts.

2 days later, and it's syncing normally again, and the battery is remaining good.

In my estimation, google's syncing caused this to occur, not dialer.

The dialer issue itself, and why it says it's consuming 17+-% is still unknown, moreover, it does not seem to be actually consuming that much battery in reality.

No one has posted anything here since I began these updates. So I presume there issues have resolved too. If not not, I hope it helps some new comers searching for an answer.

Check your google sync account first!

Last edited:
Reactions: 20mark

berserkk

May 7, 2010
Melbourne
Have you tried connecting USB and watching adb log cat to see what processes are running during drain

Sent from my HTC Legend using XDA App

Ametz

Sep 10, 2011
I noticed that my "HTC Incredible S" used 17% on the dialer tonight while i slept.
Fully loaded (unpluged) and rebooted when i turned in for the night, now 7 Hr later i have 60% total battery left =/

But the dialer has taken 17%, so thats the biggest drain on the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone
    Dialer uses much battery, because it's using the sensors all the time (even with screen off/standby).

You can check that for example in "Battery History for GB" app (you'll find it on xda...)

I wrote some posts about this issue on the ARHD thread in DHD Development (just search for "Dialer" on the thread).
    So far no one has a solution... so I guess it's a bug HTC build in... :/

If any one has a solution or a fix please post it :D

EDIT:

So it could be a bug that we see that the phone uses too much and we blame the new radio?

I tried 3 different radios... I had that problem with each one of them.
    So, the problem is the official 2.3.3 not the new radio?

Btw, also with dialer voice at 30% of consume, i have 28% of battery available now and the last unplugged was 1g and 15 hours ago, with medium use,.

Whit the 2.2.1 with the same use, my best was 1g and 6h.

Seems like it's a problem with the official release.
    If you google the issue you'll find people with other phones solving the issue by setting the "Turn to mute" feature to off...
    Problem with this: We don't have that setting :/

For me Dialer doubles the standby battery use... so battery life is good, but could be much better.
    Man 4 days.. how did you do that?
    - 2 minutes of calls
    - 15 minutes of calls via Skype
    - about 10 received SMS messages
    - about 30 minutes of web browsing via 3G/HSDPA
    - few app actualizations

well, he/she is a popular guy/gal. out of 4 days, he got into conversation on the phone only 27 minutes. 10 sms within 4 days and spend abt 30 mins browsing the internet, the rest of the 4 days, the phone..... sleep....

i'm jealous, man!
    Hi, long time lurker first time poster.

This issue has been killing me. It's definitely a Gingerbread thing. I've looked around and putting together bits of what people have been saying, the issue is with Dialer Storage. After receiving and ending an incoming call, sometimes, the Dialer Storage gets stuck in a wakelock (??) and constantly eats the battery. I'm told the issue is temporarily alleviated by killing the Dialer and Dialer storage directly. They close and immediately restart, but it fixes it.

It's also not just the Desire HD, it seems to be an all-around Gingerbread thing. Here's a link to a discussion on the CM forums:
    http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5723-battery-life-being-killed-by-dialer/page__st__40

Here's a link to another post on xda:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1077137

Another:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=929228

Here's a link to a bug ticket raised by users on the Nexus One:
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=15057

I can confirm it's happening on CoreDroid 5.4, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.5 myself (all of the above are GB-based), and others claim it affects Stock and CM 7.0.x. It's happening on my DHD but it's affected the Nexus One, Nexus One S and Motorolla Droid based on a 2 minute google search.

1. Is there an app or a widget which we can configure to kill Dialer and Dialer Storage (aka system/bin/rild) with one click to make it easier? This saves us from having to kill them manually each time, which is time consuming.

2. Is there a way to stop this from happening, or a service that boots the Dialer if it's locked, or anything similar?

And as an aside, what are some good, high quality and fast DHD Roms that are Froyo-based, to test if it's actually GB?

Edit: More links:
    http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5723-battery-life-being-killed-by-dialer/page__st__40 - another discussion on CM forums
    http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/328933/battery-consumption-and-dialer/ - discussion on Modaco forums
    Just add the widget to your homescreen, it should show the current drain in Ma. If it doesnt, open the program itself, settings and set the widget to show it.