How to remove HTC bloatware apps permanently?

Search This thread

w1040

Jan 5, 2013
Ok I'm not talking about htc built in apps. But this useless bull**** apps that just sitting on my app drawer with no ****ing reason:

7digital
Ais
Axis net
Broadband
Dtac
I store
I muzik 3g
Mobiletv
Mobile tv
Mobi tv
Mworld
My HTC
Myhtcs
Ringtunes
Telkomsel
Truemoveh
Viettel
XL

I have successfuly uninstalled them all using link2sd (need root).

I try to uninstalled 7digital then my phone restarts by itself, I'm scared a bit, then after my phone booted all that **** apps I just uninstalled came back. Wtf???

Any solutions?

Sent from my HTC Desire X using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
You can only remove them in recovery via adb shell rm /system/app/*.apk
And if you're on stock ROM, also remove it's odex adb shell rm /system/app/*.odex

Or you can use the script made by Maarten here : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36278172&postcount=30

extract the updater-script, edit the filename for the apk that you need to remove and put in back in the zip, and flash that in recovery.

w1040

Jan 5, 2013
Tried root uninstaller but no luck either. It came back after reboot :/

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur

No app can uninstall app on DX except the way I described above.
There is some sort of protection HTC imposed on DX that you cannot use an app like TB, Root Uninstaller & etc; they won't work.

Note: before you remove anything, make sure you make a nandroid of your stock ROM before that as once an OTA is out, you need a clean stock ROM to update successfully.

Reactions: w1040

w1040

Jan 5, 2013
There is some sort of protection HTC imposed on DX that you cannot use an app like TB, Root Uninstaller & etc; they won't work.

Note: before you remove anything, make sure you make a nandroid of your stock ROM before that as once an OTA is out, you need a clean stock ROM to update successfully.

But my rom are now rooted its too late to make a nand backup now..

Anyway, nand backup is on cwm recovery right?

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
If you never remove anything from the system partition, it is never too late.
(I believe you not yet able to remove anything ;))
And yes, make a nandroid backup with CWM.

w1040

Jan 5, 2013
If you never remove anything from the system partition, it is never too late.
(I believe you not yet able to remove anything ;))
And yes, make a nandroid backup with CWM.

What I meant is its too late for me to backup a clean stock unrooted rom.

Sorry can't edit my post above since I'm new user although I'm not new to xda I'd just created a new account.

Anyway I wish there was a simple way to remove the odex on the bloatware I want to uninstalled. On link2sd, the app mentioned above are marked with ODEX (green).

Guess you were right, can't move an an app with an odex on it though I don't know what odex is.

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
I understood that. What I meant is it is ok to make backup with a rooted stock ROM.
To update an OTA, you don't need to remove your root app or any installed app as long as all system files are intact. You don't even need to relock your bootloader. What you need is a stock recovery.

You can read more on this topic on the link in my sig. Even though that is for One V, it works the same principal for DX.

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
You can remove system apps from recovery using app called Aroma File Manager, made by Amarullz, you have the link in my Index.

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
You can remove system apps from recovery using app called Aroma File Manager, made by Amarullz, you have the link in my Index.

Totally forgot about this nice recovery explorer/file manager :eek:
As I always use a PC base explorer/file manager to add/remove files to/from system partition.

KSKHH

Dec 28, 2012
To w1040

ckpv5 is right. You can not delete files simply from Data or System folders.

You have to do that in recovery mode. If you try to delete files from any File explorer, your phone will simply restart.

Though we have rooted our phone, however it is not 100% rooted. HTC made S-ON on all of those device so that people can not do any changes on systems.

Play with your phone with complete nand backup.

MaartenXDA

Oct 2, 2012
Amsterdam
To w1040

ckpv5 is right. You can not delete files simply from Data or System folders.

You have to do that in recovery mode. If you try to delete files from any File explorer, your phone will simply restart.

Though we have rooted our phone, however it is not 100% rooted. HTC made S-ON on all of those device so that people can not do any changes on systems.

Play with your phone with complete nand backup.

Actually we do have 100% root, S-Off differs a lot from root. And there are multiple ways of deleting the apps. You can make a flashable zip file yourself if you know how to, you can use aroma file manager (mount system before using it), adb, or any other recovery file manager, if it exists

Sent from my awesome fridge

w1040

Jan 5, 2013
Probably someone should make a tutorial how to delete system apps here using aroma file manager? :p

Would be really useful.

KSKHH

Dec 28, 2012
Actually we do have 100% root, S-Off differs a lot from root. And there are multiple ways of deleting the apps. You can make a flashable zip file yourself if you know how to, you can use aroma file manager (mount system before using it), adb, or any other recovery file manager, if it exists

Sent from my awesome fridge

Yup understand. I am sorry I wanted to say he can not do it thru any file browser when the phone is running. It will simply reboot.

Need to try Aroma File manager. Deleting with flashable.zip is really a pain not so simple.

T

the_pirate_predator

Addition

I have made a new idea on removing bloatwares. The idea is that the user can select the apps that are to be deleted in aroma. I have already made a project regarding this but only for my device. You can port it to your device and maybe share this with everyone.

Link to my thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2632355

With some changes, it will work great and our community can develop!!

picsles

Jun 29, 2015
I have the t-mobile 626s variant. Ive rooted and still have a bunch of process and apps I dont want. I dont have a computer at the moment becuase its being fixed. Is there a list of apps safe to remove? Thank You

levi555

Jun 23, 2015
You have to install an insecure kernel. You can find a lot of custom kernel in these forum, choose one of them:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can only remove them in recovery via adb shell rm /system/app/*.apk
    And if you're on stock ROM, also remove it's odex adb shell rm /system/app/*.odex

Or you can use the script made by Maarten here : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36278172&postcount=30

extract the updater-script, edit the filename for the apk that you need to remove and put in back in the zip, and flash that in recovery.

I understood that. What I meant is it is ok to make backup with a rooted stock ROM.
    To update an OTA, you don't need to remove your root app or any installed app as long as all system files are intact. You don't even need to relock your bootloader. What you need is a stock recovery.

You can read more on this topic on the link in my sig. Even though that is for One V, it works the same principal for DX.