iNew i6000 (and other Chinese 6.45" FHD phones) - $250

Search This thread

Parcae

Apr 8, 2012
So lately I've been looking into gigantic Chinese phones, and I came across this one, a 6.45 inch, 1080p behemoth that goes by a variety of names:

Orientphone Mega 6.5
iNew i6000
Actwell i6000
Firefly T65
Carpad V65

And probably some others. The cheapest I've been able to find was Mode edit: link to commercial site removed[/url].

Anyway, they're all gigantic phones with the Xperia Z U screen (?) but slower internal hardware, specifically an MT6589T quad-core 1.5Ghz processor and either 1 or 2 gigs of ram. They get an Antutu score of 14k-ish (for the 1 gig version), according to an earlier post on Gizchina.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting one, and I wanted to ask if anyone else has one, or if any devs are thinking of getting one. They strike me as a much better buy than the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, which has an inferior screen and is close to $300 more expensive. My biggest qualm is the fact that the operating system probably won't ever be upgraded, unless the XDA people get to it.

---

iNew i6000/Firefly v65 roms!

Stock: http://www.filefactory.com/file/1ejjgtpjprzr/i6000_Stock_Backup.zip

Last edited:
Reactions: sam32smni

razar77

Dec 7, 2010
I'm waiting to hear actual user feedback on these phones before I order one. Promotional videos from resellers don't really tell me if you need the 1 gig or 2 gig ram version. After hearing about the problems with the 1gig Huawei Ascend mate im a bit hesitant.

CILLER

Oct 13, 2008
I would love to know more about this phone a I am considering it.
It looks lovely anyhow, especially the black one.

Last edited:

cmit37

Jun 23, 2010
laggy browsing?

I was ready to buy one until I saw this video. Look at it browsing the National Geographic from 1:17 onwards. I don't know if Adobe Flash has something to do with it but the performance looks poor. Also the screen and app drawer swiping looks to not be as instant as on my Nexus 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDffLX4nzMY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Look at the stuttering from 8:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccf1r5jaOLM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

razar77

Dec 7, 2010
I was ready to buy one until I saw this video. Look at it browsing the National Geographic from 1:17 onwards. I don't know if Adobe Flash has something to do with it but the performance looks poor. Also the screen and app drawer swiping looks to not be as instant as on my Nexus 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDffLX4nzMY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Look at the stuttering from 8:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccf1r5jaOLM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wouldn't be concerned about that stuttering as it looks like a youtube issue. I have seen plenty of videos of its hd playback which all looked fine. I'm pretty sure that getting the 2gb ram version would help with any slowdowns as well.

Parcae

Apr 8, 2012
Well, I'm pretty sure that it's going to have more lag than the Nexus 4, which is a premium smartphone and also has a much smaller screen to power. Antutu scores I've seen have been in the 13.5k-14k range, whereas Google tells me that the Nexus 4 is 15k-ish, I think? That's actually a smaller gap than I thought it would be, especially given that the Antutu scores I've seen for the iNew have been for the 1Gb version. But anyway, yeah, these phones are not going to compete with the Nexus series for power, but they're also somewhat cheaper and, of course, have much bigger screens.

By the way, there is a new Chinese smartphone in this category: the Goophone S4 Mega. They seem to only come in the 2 gig variant, but can be found for just north of $300. The best price I've seen for the iNew was $265 after shipping, so there's about a $40 price premium for the extra RAM.

razar77

Dec 7, 2010
Well, I'm pretty sure that it's going to have more lag than the Nexus 4, which is a premium smartphone and also has a much smaller screen to power. Antutu scores I've seen have been in the 13.5k-14k range, whereas Google tells me that the Nexus 4 is 15k-ish, I think? That's actually a smaller gap than I thought it would be, especially given that the Antutu scores I've seen for the iNew have been for the 1Gb version. But anyway, yeah, these phones are not going to compete with the Nexus series for power, but they're also somewhat cheaper and, of course, have much bigger screens.

By the way, there is a new Chinese smartphone in this category: the Goophone S4 Mega. They seem to only come in the 2 gig variant, but can be found for just north of $300. The best price I've seen for the iNew was $265 after shipping, so there's about a $40 price premium for the extra RAM.

Good find on that Goophone mega. I'm sure its just another rebranding, but with 2gig ram standard for $309.00 from their webstore its a good deal.

cmit37

Jun 23, 2010
I am not sure if these phablets represent value when you can buy the premium Nexus 4 for $350 from Google Play. The 2GB versions of the 6.5"Chinese phablets including delivery work out to a similar price.

At $250 for the 2GB version I might give them a go but not at the current price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

anazhd

Jun 30, 2012
Los Santos
www.droidagency.com
I am not sure if these phablets represent value when you can buy the premium Nexus 4 for $350 from Google Play. The 2GB versions of the 6.5"Chinese phablets including delivery work out to a similar price.

At $250 for the 2GB version I might give them a go but not at the current price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

A bit overpriced for china devices. I agree with your Nexus 4 point.

vasiaeva

Jan 6, 2011
Wow I fan of gaint phones, but look like non of it have LTE or Wimax only 3g

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

razar77

Dec 7, 2010
A bit overpriced for china devices. I agree with your Nexus 4 point.

I agree, but you can't get a large screen device for a really cheap price. And the nexus 4 is a 4.7 inch screen and simply doesn't compare. If you want a similar chinese phone with a 4.7 inch screen you can get something that costs less than $200, as long as you don't need LTE.

Parcae

Apr 8, 2012
Yeah, these phones are meant to compete with the Galaxy Mega, which is currently $500-ish and has worse specs. The Nexus 4 would definitely have better performance, but costs $100 more than the cheapest price I've seen for the 1GB version ($265 with shipping) and has a much, much smaller screen.

It's basically all about how much you want a giant phone. For me, the closest competitor is the first-gen Galaxy Note, which is about $200 used on Ebay and, of course, has better connectivity in the US (as with most Chinese phones, none of the vendors seem to be certain whether the iNew supports the 1900Mhz baseband) as well as basically guaranteed OS updates via Cyanogenmod.

justkim

Jul 11, 2008
Nothing else like it

if you're like me and want a real phablet, there's nothing else like this one.

1st - carpad t65 is something else. An older-gen-look (generic-looking) phone. The iNew is much better looking, has stereo speakers (chinese speakers are lousy so the carpad's single should be useless for speakerphone, let alone listening to music).
Goophone is not out yet. The demo pics are fake (you san see the samsung logo photoshopped out) and not too sure about the video. Maybe a Galaxy Mega 6.3 shown next to a 5.7, or maybe it's real - but not on sale yet.

The i6000 has the same screen as Sony's Togari phablet which is yet to be launched. Much better specs than the Galaxy Mega 6.3 or the much smaller Note 2. Also, FHD is a must on a screen this big.
And the Nexus 4 is tiny in comparison.

A good competitor would be the ViVo xplay - only it's "only" 5.7", pricier, and won't connect to the network I'm using.

I really want this phone - only problem is they're sold out on Black phones and 2/32GB phones, and I really don't want a 1/16GB white one. Will wait patiently.

Last edited:

winghinwong

Jul 26, 2012
Anyone can confirm what WCDMA band it supports? From the inew website it supports 850 and 2100 only, that means no 3G speed on AT&T and T-Mobile.

CILLER

Oct 13, 2008
Got mine yesterday (inew 1gb version) And I have to say. Quality seems good and performance in chrome beta is very good as well.
Color reproduction seems decent, screen has clear backlight bleeding and readability in the sun is do-able but not good.

No real issue so far.

Also good 3g performance here in Holland with Vodafone

Last edited:
Reactions: Dax47

cmit37

Jun 23, 2010
Brilliant - actual user review.
Where did you buy it from? What other phone do you have/are you familiar with and how are you finding the overall performance compared with it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

CILLER

Oct 13, 2008
Brilliant - actual user review.
Where did you buy it from? What other phone do you have/are you familiar with and how are you finding the overall performance compared with it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
I bought it via aliExpress

My previous phone was a note II. Compared to that the performance is a bit lower but mostly to aggressive memory management. (apps in the background close quite quickly).

I have not rooted it yet. I first have asked iNew how to factory reset it in case of a error first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for the reply, it looks like a bluish tint with greater intensity not only me. The question is, why is this so? Tomorrow I will solve it with my dealer. To flash a new ROM. I already have a backup of both the computer and also have a backup done through recovery.

i just got the 2gb ram 32gb internal storage unit two days ago. there seems to be quite a lot of interest on this phone but no one seems to have done any reviews on it. allow me to give a small review on this phone

body

it looks great. i like large phones and although the body of the phone is plastic, it doesn't feel cheap, probably because it is a bit on the heavy side. with a body that long and wide, it not really a surprise that they can make it thinner as well, however it is still easy to hold on to. however, with that kind of size, single hand use is not possible anymore, unless you have really, really large hands. the logo of the phone is behind it, so for people who are conscious about this kind of thing, no one will know you have a chinaphone.

screen

the screen is as high res as you can get and it is bright and quite readable even outside. i realize that i was only using half the screen brightness and it was already that good. i did notice that blueish tinge that is being reported here but though nothing of it until i found it on xda. as mentioned by michalcl and stevenma61m it appears towards the bottom of the screen, near the buttons. you will only notice it if you have a white background.

as for the physical screen, i don't think this is gorilla glass though but i won't take any chances, just make sure you use your screen protector.

performance

i ran antutu (yes, not reliable) as soon as i got it out of the box and it gave me a score of 14000+, however after all my installations, i could no longer get that number anymore and have been getting 12000-13000. not great, but at least much better than my previous single core phone. 3d performance isn't spectacular, minion rush is not very smooth. for day to day usage, it feels great. applications launch quickly and i can easily switch between applications. i haven't experiences and slowdowns yet, hopefully that is thanks to the 2gb ram it has.

applications

it came with an older version of google play but this can be easily updated to the latest version. the only chinese app i got was what i think is a chinese input method which i don't really need. otherwise this seem to be quite stock.

connectivity

i didn't experience any of the signal issues i have read so far. reception seems to be good as well. this phone doesn't do LTE though, if you are looking for that, look elsewhere. one thing which surprised me was the that dual sim card slots behind the unit were not identical. the first one accepts the original size sim cards, while the second one accepts micro sim. i had to go and get it resized just because of that. unlike my older dual sim phone, this one can accept two 3g sim cards. note that the second, smaller sim card slot is a spring loaded slot. i was worried that my tiny sim card would go all the way in to the slot and i won't have any way to get it out. just push it all the way in. to get it out just push it back in and it pops right out.

accessories

mine came with a nice leather case. it has a plastic shell stuck on the inside and you just have to make the phone wear the shell. just be aware that the shell is just stuck on to the case and i do not know how reliable the adhesive is. so far in the two days that i have owned this, it hasn't fell out yet.

it also comes with a stylus. for a stylus this thin, it has some surprising heft to it. touching the screen with the stylus doesn't seem to register at all,but i doubt if i will be using the stylus at all. so this is a non issue for me.

correction: the stylus does work. sometimes it doesn't register fast enough, but it works. i still won't use it though.

it also came with a micro usb cable as well as a wall socket adaptor. they even gave me a screen protector. i haven't had time to apply it yet, so i still have the original plastic protector that came with the phone.

battery

when i put in the battery, the battery level was already at 50%, so i proceeded to charge it. it does seem to take a longer time for it to charge. at least that is what the battery level indicator says. the each time i check, the battery level barely budges. now, i'm not sure if there is anything wrong with the battery level indicator or it really is the battery's problem but as mentioned by stevenma61 plugging the charge may give you wildly different charge levels. i suspect this might be a firmware problem, hopefully they can fix this soon. i do have a spare battery maybe i should try it one of these days. i haven't run the battery all the down to empty so i don't really know if it can really last 48 hours as they claim in their website, however, my phone use typically has it plugged in the usb cable whenever i am at work. i will update the battery performance once i get more time with it. this is probably one of the most worrying points of this phone.

camera

i haven't had time with the camera yet, but is have taken some photos with it and they seem decent. it already has more megapixels than my old dslr (yes, yes, it doesn't matter).

rooting

i have already rooted it, just use the eroot program, make sure that your machine can see the phone (drivers properly installed) and just trigger the program. eroot is in chinese, but not really difficult to use. if you do not see a green button after launching it, it means it can't see your phone. once it shows up, just click on the green button and wait for it to finish.

conclusion

i love my new phone, i never thought that i would try to buy online from a chinese retailer but here it is. the phone is built solidly and has a great ips screen. probably the biggest selling factor for this is that it has large ram (2gb) and large internal storage (32gb), to top it all off, it has support for micro sd as well. it is priced below similarly spec-ed phones and i think that can give them a run for their money. apart from the battery issue i have i think this was a good purchase for me.

i hope that more people can have this phone so we can have custom roms on this as well.

hopefully this small review helps other people who are considering this phone. let me know if you need to know more.
    for rooting the phone (mtk 65xx phone) n flash the recovery

a) to root
    use ( run the below with your phone on and computer to the computer, u need to have computer able to talk to phone- driver installed)
    1-- Eroot ( google this Eroot , u should be able to get the programe)

2-- Auto Root MTK6589 (One click root)

run the first one, if cannot root, then run the second one,

still cannot get root, then run the first one again, that is how i get mine rooted.

B) for recovery.img to flash to phone - u need the phone to be rooted
    dowload recovery.zip from needrom.com , look for firefly under other catergory (the recovery is in chinese), not too sure u can find one in eng.
    unzip the recovery.zip and get the file recovery.img and copy it to the root of your sd card in the phone

now dowlload "mobileuncle" from play store in your phone.
    then run the mobileuncle, then hit the Recovery Update" then choose the file u have copied to the sd card,

then reboot the phone , there u have recovery installed

the current rom i have still the stock rom, but the 3g signal up n down , not stable.
    i have just download the other two rom from the web site they have just updated hours ago. i will try
    Final pattern for modified antenna

after using this pattern for 2 days, i find this pattern is quite good

the signal most of the time stay at 3 bars, have not drop to zero so far.
    Hi Stevenma61,

I will get my 32 Gb 2gb ram white color today.

Can you please share where is the place to download rom and CWM.?
    Did mobile uncle tools work for this model for flashing cwm?
    Has it pre root from the seller?

Thanks in advance.

for CWM recovery, i am not too sure if u can get it english on the web, bcause the one i use is in Chinese , from Firefly V65 , u can use the rom from Firefly V65 , go to needrom.com

or the firefly web site 91firefly ( go n google this "91firely" the web is in chinese, u can translate with crome , or bing)

ity to lookfor iNew6000 on the web, so far , i did noot get it

I will see if i can create my own recovery, if i can get it , i will let u know

yes i use mobile uncle to flash my recovery.img to my phone
    inew i6000

received my inew phone i6000 on 16/072013
    i bought it for 265 without shipping cost.

the screen is good( much much better, i think because of OGS - one glass Screen solution) , compare to the other one i had ( star S7599 ) which i bought in May.
    the reading angle is as good as those high eng phone (HTC, Nexus, Samsung) , except, when u are using chrome/browser, the bottom part of the screen show a little blueish ( somesort like when u have reached the last page of the web)

I have rooted and CWM

i also tried to flash it with the Firefly V65 rom found on the needrom web
    it is ok the rom from V65 are compatible with iNew 6000