DISCONTINUED - [ROM][19-feb-2011] FolioMod v1.4 for Toshiba Folio100

Search This thread

xoloinc

Nov 28, 2010
Oslo
Can not rotate

Dexter: really nice mod. Sent you a couple of Red Bulls before christmas.

After upgrading to 1.3 I'm not able to use the tablet in portrait mode anymore.
Before, ADW and applications rotated without problem, but after the update the folio seems not to register changes to orientations anymore.

Anyone else having the same problem or have I missed something noobish?

kakkio

Jul 3, 2010
Dexter: really nice mod. Sent you a couple of Red Bulls before christmas.

Before, ADW and applications rotated without problem, but after the update the folio seems not to register changes to orientations anymore.

Anyone else having the same problem or have I missed something noobish?

see post 1, I suppose u have to apply the right patch...

xoloinc

Nov 28, 2010
Oslo
Try factory reset, update again and facory reset again.

I did a factory reset before and after installing 1.3 and 1.3b patch. Not on c patch since I figured it was not gonna make any difference.

Can try again, just annoying fiddeling with the backups all the time ;)

Was hoping for "your a noob and just have to activate...."-answer ;)

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
it should work fine with 1.3c
i got 1.3b + 1.3c patch installed with one released, i use launcherPRO and it works fine here?

can it be like launcherPRO you have disabled rotation in settings?

Reactions: kakkio

bjerkeli.org

Feb 14, 2009
Headset issues

I've experienced the headset issues I saw in some of the earlier posts here.

I use mod 1.3b.

When I insert the headset I get sound both on the headset and in the Folio 100 speakers the first time i connect the headset after powerup. If I pull the plug out and insert it again the sound is only in the headset.

My first thought was hardware issues, but when this occurs every time I'm sure it's something else.

I also tried my phone headset (with a microphone) and then the sound was barely hearable.

Anyone else with these issues.

I use the headset on my way to work when I take the train, and it is rather embarrasing when I forget to: plug in, plug out and plug in again in order to only get sound through the headset :)

(I have gotten some complaints about it) :)

kepler1982

Nov 25, 2010
Nyköping
www.keplermusic.org
I've experienced the headset issues I saw in some of the earlier posts here.

I use mod 1.3b.

When I insert the headset I get sound both on the headset and in the Folio 100 speakers the first time i connect the headset after powerup. If I pull the plug out and insert it again the sound is only in the headset.

My first thought was hardware issues, but when this occurs every time I'm sure it's something else.

I also tried my phone headset (with a microphone) and then the sound was barely hearable.

Anyone else with these issues.

I use the headset on my way to work when I take the train, and it is rather embarrasing when I forget to: plug in, plug out and plug in again in order to only get sound through the headset :)

(I have gotten some complaints about it) :)

i've been using my folio a whole lot both with and without headsets. and i've never experienced a bug/fault like that.. but, as for a lot of other weird bugs like that it has helped to pull out the battery for 5 minutes and put it back in.. it sounds like something they would tell you at an ISP support.. but it has fixed the strangest issues :)

Reactions: bjerkeli.org

laudrup69

Dec 14, 2010
Barcelona
www.eloasisgame.es
hello,

For two days I have 1.3b and 1.3c patch... and after some time fatal responds .. not responding to touch or responds very late and bad as if you click on another site.

in the taskmanager I do not see more aplications or there is simply no applications

What could be?

Any hints?

...are the kings of women and now the truth very disappointed

PD: excuse my bad English

weeds2000

Oct 30, 2009
Giebelstadt
twitter.com
Causing the high CPU load and unresponsiveness:

Maybe this is can be caused by flash. I hardly had the problem during the last weeks, but today I got it shortly after watching a flash video embedded on a web page (not using youtube app)
Also the same several weeks ago I switched to Dolphin HD as my primary browser, which has an option to load plugins only on demand.
So you get rid of all those flash banners and have to do just one-click on the content you are interested in.

Don't get me wrong, I still have the high cpu load issue from time to time (system_server consuming 50-75% of the CPU) but the tablet was still responsive.

kepler1982

Nov 25, 2010
Nyköping
www.keplermusic.org
Causing the high CPU load and unresponsiveness:

Maybe this is can be caused by flash. I hardly had the problem during the last weeks, but today I got it shortly after watching a flash video embedded on a web page (not using youtube app)
Also the same several weeks ago I switched to Dolphin HD as my primary browser, which has an option to load plugins only on demand.
So you get rid of all those flash banners and have to do just one-click on the content you are interested in.

Don't get me wrong, I still have the high cpu load issue from time to time (system_server consuming 50-75% of the CPU) but the tablet was still responsive.

interesting, i'm also only getting the 100% load bug when i'm using the browser. i was pretty sure that quicksearch was to blame, but maybe not..

boqonx

Dec 22, 2004
Hong Kong
Nvm i fixed it myself with USBDeview..for some reason the first driver installation didn't do any good. Thanks!

Last edited:

fmartagong

Jul 23, 2009
Seville
Solved with a swipe and reinstall of! 13 and then updated to c instantly.

I've had the problem that the tablet did not rotate the screen.

I tried to wipe and removing the battery, but not resolved.

Finally I had to reinstall the FolioMod 1.3b., and quickly 1.3c upgraded.

Normally the tablet works fine, but ocassionally the screen stop responding and I have to force shutdown, because when I click "Shut Down", the screen not responsive.

I'm happy anyway. Dexter and company thank you very much ;-)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    !!This is ONLY for Toshiba Folio 100!!!

This Mod is based on Toshiba Stock with additions from Nvidia SDK, to make a better functioning stock rom with google apps and better OpenGL ES support.

Currently giving you an amazing
    - 3000+ in Quadrant score!! (screenshot here )
    - 50.5 frames in neocore (not amazing compared to HTC desireHD, i think, but still good)

You can also follow updates on Twitter now: Dexter Picard (DexterPicard) on Twitter or me a Red bull, and you're sure i stay up working on this mod or you can visit my new homepage at Dexter's mods

for new users with latest 2.2.5.0131 firmware, here is a howto on reverting tablet to be able to install custom roms.
    Wiki pages available here and here Other non-FolioMod , but folio100 threads Kernel&Tweaks & General questions thread
    Please use these for non-FolioMod questions, like screen,battery etc...

Video illustration of FolioMod (Thanks to kevin.hansen)

Installation Instructions:
    ALWAYS HAVE CHARGER CONNECTED WHEN UPDATING A FIRMWARE.
    A FACTORY RESET IN RECOVERY MENU IS ALWAYS RECOMMENDED TOO.

You can also try these instructions for v1.1 and lower versions here or here if those help you in another way than the one provided below.

download latest FolioMod full zipfile- Extract contents to a folder and follow instructions below.
    1. copy the update.zip from inside downloaded zipfile to the root of your sdcard, and insert sdcard into folio.
    2. Enter "Recovery menu" when folio is just turned on and press (POWER) once and (VOL up) next.
    3. press (VOL up) Factory reset or system update.
    4. press(VOL down) to continue to system update.
    5. press (VOL up) to confirm system update.
    6. during installation progress bar will show har far it is.
    7. folio will reboot after installation.
    8. if you need to wipe, repeat the steps above without sdcard inserted, and you get into recovery menu. Press "HOME" button to see menu and choose "factory reset".
    After reboot a BLACK screen appear for 1 or 2 minutes!! don't worry, its normal!

Rollback to original stock rom:
    Download Folio stock image for full restore to stock rom
    extract zip to a folder, and from here follow steps 1 - 7 above, to install the update.zip .
    This image is for rollback purpose, if you do not want the mod edition, here is the way back to stock rom.
    Remember to run a factory reset before or after this stock rom install..

Latest Full update
    Download Mirror 1 - FolioMod v1.4 or Mirror 2

Patches
    • FolioWidget fix here , solves the compressed issue on regular launcher or LauncherPRo. now shows all icons.
    • V1.4 - Rollback of graphics tweak driver - if you got problems with touch screen here
    • V1.3+ old wifi driver(1.0 release) works better for some ppl. (Requested by many) here
    • V0.0+ Generic format internal storage for all mods (so far) here, only needed if you got internal storage problems.
    Rename downloaded patch to update.zip and install using recovery.

Old releases
    Download Mirror 1 - FolioMod v1.3d
    Download Mirror 1 - FolioMod v1.3b
    Download Mirror 1 - FolioMod v1.3 - Mirror 2 - easyshare - Mirror 3 - (NOT THERE)​

Known issues (also reported by users)

NONE

THANKS to
    ownhere - coming up with the initial idea on how to implement the loopback solution for optimized database access.
    Weeds2000 , for the great help and fixes done so far for us (Orientation + paid apps, vold with NTFS corrections to FolioMod) + Kernel compiles
    DerArtem - Compiling kernel + and being very active on getting 3G modem support for us on our folio!!
    Sol Ido - Foliowidget
    Teknoraver - Foliobuttons
    badstorm2010 - First custom kernel on folio available.

CHANGELOG
    v1.4 (changes compared to v2.2.5.0131)
    • libraries from v 2.2.5.0131 release of 18-feb-2011
    • eUpdate patch from stock release of 18-feb-2011 (touchscreen+i2c update)
    • Paid apps working. (thanks to weeds2000 for the fix)
    • rotation & mouse (fixed by Weeds2000)
    • Fixed toshiba pegadroid support (ext.jar missing pegadroid service), important for toshiba services.
    • added newest Market app (2.2.11)
    • 3D frame hack (increased framerate from 51 to 70), if you got touchscreen issues, here is the rollback patch
    • BROKEN: 3G support (new toshiba kernel required for display driver, and we got no source available yet)
    • BROKEN: CIFS support
    • Filesystem optimization still active
    • newest flashplayer v10.1.120.10 included.
    • newest mediaplayer & filemanager update from toshiba.
    • Maps 5.0 added with multitouch rotation support
    • build.prop changed to emulate GalaxyTab (tablet Market support with more apps)
      NOTE: Name is written as SGH-T849 (please just ignore, forum reports will be ignored too)
    • HDMI option added in Settings, for option to switch between 480p,576p,720p,1080p
      note: tablet is still just 1024x600, so desktop is scaled, movieplayback should be correct.
    • 360 degree rotation
    • settings - gapps sync enabled
    • deodex'd
    • wpa supplicant (adhoc) support (use FolioWidget to enable)
    • Added WMA/WMV support (upto 1080p)
    • Fixed Wifi script issues
    • Fixed /mnt/sdcard mount location (apps issue, better support now)
    • Root'd (Superuser + su included)
    • Rooted recovery + busybox tools
    • increased main filesystem (252MB)
    • SpareParts (disable "compatibility mode" to have old apps fullscreen.
    • Taskkiller included (Fixed for Toshiba framework)
    • More Locale 2 included (so all languages can be selected)
    • BROKEN: NTFS / CIFS / 3G support will be enabled as soon as a kernel source update is available, so DerArtem can compile
      a working kernel for us.

Thanks to all those which have donated because of this FolioMod. Its truly appreciated to see people actually
    like this and would pay a little to get the improvements in place!!
    Thanks!

WARNING: Use this image at your own risk and i take no responsibility if
    you brick your tablet.. Image has been tested on a Toshiba Folio 100 and works fine if guidelines are followed.
    Weeds2000 gave it a go, and fixed the download of paid apps! im sure alot will be happy to read this.
    Then i found another tweak in the screen driver, to increase framerate which currently was only 51. now its increased to 80.
    on top of this, DerArtem is currently working on making it possible to use USB 3G dongles on our folio, so we can go online using the phone functionality in Android. I have for now, enabled some phone functions and activated the signal level indicator (might be annoying, but enhancement has a cost for now).
    It also seems, that i by mistake had enabled locationservices in the build.prop, so at every boot the GPS, which we don't have, was enabled and caused an additional CPU load during a bootup. this is now fixed as well.

the update pack includes some fixes for wpa_supplicant issue, where it did not switch to the correct adhoc wpa_supplicant.
    and weeds2000 has brought a new update to the orientation so compass works, but mouse is still wrong.
    lastly it fixes the sensor readings which made your tablet unable to rotate.
    A little more details on v1.3 update release..
    V1.3 went through a public beta1 stage and issues were found and fixed where possible.
    While fixing bugs in 1.3beta a 3D performance pack was found with the Viewsonic forum, and i tested it with our Folio, with changes as required to match our system. and it increased framerates. So that is now part of the new 1.3.
    Furthermore the filesystem I/O performance bugs were found and fixed, and we now have a 330MB partition running on a loopback device, making database calls and small file changes much faster.
    With the ElocityA7 i found the newest Flashplayer minor update revision, and of course replaced our Toshiba beta with the new one found.
    Other users has suggested kernel tweaks which also has been added to the v1.3, one of them is the "swappiness" parameter, it is suggested to increase application handling on our folio and its now "live" in this release.
    Sol Ido, provided us with the 0.3.4 edition of the FolioWidget, which includes a tricker enabler for switching between the regular wpa_supplicant and the wpa_supplicant for adhoc use also included in 1.3.
    The orientation fix from weeds2000 is now default included into v1.3, but can be removed with a rollback patch found in the patches section in Post #1. it does have flaws like mouse pointer moves in "portrait" mode right now. compass should not be working correctly. but in general more apps utilizing the orientation/sensor is now working much better.

With FolioMod 1.3 a small milestone is reached, getting 3000+ in Quadrant score without actually cheating here :)
    But of course Quadrant benchmarking is just one way of meassuring our device, CPU performance has not changed at all, so dont get too excited, but it does help in the overall experience of your tablet.

A little picture to document the problem with rotation on our tablet and other tegra2 tablets. click picture for better details.
    android_rotation.jpg
    as you see on the picture above, our tablet has native 0 degree in landscape mode where mobilephones got portrait native.. you can call this failure of nvidia, or someone else, but it seems that someone thinks this should be the standard.
    if we can get the X and Y curve switched, we might just get it working normally.

- Version 1.2 introduce use of the official patch installer from Toshiba which shows progress bar indicator movements on the screen, if recovery menu is not shown.
    - Version 1.2 offers the newest toshiba update 2.5.0053 features, but which?
    - BadStorm2010 managed to get a custom kernel compiled, which for adds support for ext4(future support),OpenVPN and cifs support, so you can mount filesystems over network.
    - The FolioWidget offers control of your hardware buttons to have lights enabled and turns off only when pressed (good during evening/night)
    - By failure of mine, the Vending.apk (Market app) included in 1.2, slows down the folio, so to enhance and fix it, i added a patch which adds the newest Market app to our folio with new design and way of selecting apps (actually is much better).
    - as the framework is new, i tried to include all old features as 360 rotation , wma/wmv , Google apps + /mnt/sdcard location fix and other small issues.
    - Paid apps still remain an issue with toshiba framework, only solution for you that want/need it, is to use the old 0.2 edition with nvidia framework.

Currently the Toshiba edition 1.0b is having more issues than compared to 0.2a software wise. there is a freeze issues, and awake issues(solved,but fix is not released) and google paid apps cannot be downloaded.
    So if you're ok without proper BT functions and usbstick unmounting, the 0.2a is probably you're best choice right now..
    But if you need mouse/keyboard, usbstick proper unmount, 360rotation, the toshiba mod is the way forward.
    I will try and get the freezing fixed, but more testing is needed..

the Toshiba mod was created due to all the small differences in the framrwork with Bluetooth, USB functionality and sdcard card functions. Like on phones, vendors always do a little customization, which not always serves all users nicely when the image is modded based on other models. But now the stock rom is available with modded functions, so all should be happy now.

25.11.2010- on top of the above mentioned changes, here are some more regular info

- The new 0.2a still has USB stick/sdcard unmount issues, which is only part of the toshiba framework to handle for now. Im working on getting it to work on stock android.
    - Increased the desktop sizing to 7 vert/horz , so more space for widgets and placement.
    - media player extract image information.
    - Wpa supplicant will not show signal strength for now, but im sure the better functionality might compesate for this.
    (this has been tested with my Galaxy S running tetherAP function, and i could go online using my mobile connection)
    Tested(v0.2a),
    -Gapps,Angrybirds,Movieplayback(Yxplayer)+WMV/WMA, HDMI out, usb mass storage to pc, sdcard,usbstick, websurf+flash
    - rotation , Market download, Power off,ad-hoc connectivity,.
    #update folio widget 0.3

Controls for
    CPU ( min, max, governor )
    Buttons Sensitivity
    Enable multicore by default

Apk and update.zip
    (i've modified the previous update script from duncane)

Like ever click Thanks if you like :) or i'll be sad
    #Folio Widget updated : solaar.free.fr/apk/
    -> Battery monitor added
    Push Thanks Button if you like :D

edit: to uninstall: settings | applications | manage | all(tab)
    so are sure to have the last version installed. Thx !
    V1.2 BETA available

here is an early beta of 1.2, as im not sure of stability, please test and report on this version.

- Updated with latest apps/binaries from toshiba update
    - Included custom kernel compiled by Badstorm2010, includes cifs/ext4/tun support.
    - included cifsmanager, a tool so you can mount windows filesystem from another machine.
    cifs manager only works with launcherpro and toshibaHome launcher
    - removed all manuals (50MB) + manual widget (needed some space)

it uses Toshiba's flashing now, so you might need to wipe, as we dont have a option to clear "dalvik-cache" right now.. but test and let me know.
    this does no longer require any recovery-mod for new users.

update,
    seems you dont need to wipe, but you do not get "CifsManager" update and toshiba apps update, if you dont start from scratch.. (so you know why its not there)
    with Astro or a fileexplorer look in /system/toshiba/apk folder for new apps.