[ROM][ICS][alpha1]ICYXMAS p5wifi ICS build for GTab 8.9 GT-7310

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

nycbjr

Oct 10, 2006
New York
**Last update! This thread will (shortly) be locked, and a new one will be posted With Galaxian-Soup ICS Alpha 2
Check back in a few hours!

**Update, this tread will be retired and locked come this Thursday 1/5/2012
Read between the lines, and you will see that a brand new thread in its place will be posted, complete with a yummy new alpha of ICS for our dedicated fans to enjoy... We thank you for your patience, after this alpha goes out we believe tere will be more frequent releases and postings

Stay tuned, but from what I've seen so far we have many surprises in store for our next release, and you, is ICS nirvana just around the corner? Check back on thursday!

Please don't take this to mean we've fixed every outstanding bug, but we have made major core improvements, and fixed some of the big "items"

We are seaking anyone with expeirence working HAL's and drivers.. if you are interested please PM me.

TTFN!!

** Update ** Work around for voice search
It appears that voice search is broken in several AOSP roms, during my research I managed to get voice search working, however its the older version (prior to ICS). So far it seems to work fine!
So until Google fixes (or we do hah) do this to get voice search to work

Download
Voice_Search_2.1.4

Go to the location the this file was downloaded and from a terminal (linux/mac) or the command prompt (windows)
Code:
adb shell
su (if not root)
rm /system/app/VoiceSearch.apk
reboot

Then side load adb Voice_Search_2.1.4
Code:
adb install Voice_Search_2.1.4.apk

After the install click on the microphone icon near search at the top left of the home screen, accept the permissions (you have to do this a few times, 3 by my count), don't panic if it asks a few times, it does stick.

Enjoy!

** Update** Happy New Year XDA and esp our friends with the Galaxy Tab 8.9! is this the year of the droid? We shall see!
Hey everyone I wanted to give everyone an update and general goings on! Im sorry to inform you that there will not be a New Years alpha, but we will have something for you all very soon after.

Here is a taste of what early 2012 will bring to Alpha 2.

1. We have decided to use ASOP source rather than Cyanogen Mod, this is primarily why there hasn't been a new release since xmas. After reviewing some of the initial bugs, and reflecting on what we accomplished in under 4 days, we decided we wanted the focus of this rom to become "best in breed" optimized for the Galaxy Tab 8.9. Meaning we are going to cherry pick the best features of both to create the best possible experience, with the lightest footprint, and most importantly stock ICS launcher! NoWiz, no Trebuchet. So far it has yielded very positive results.
2. Moving to ASOP and stock launcher has fixed one of the big bugs, automatic home screen orientation. I know more than a few of you were hoping this would be resolved fast, well there.. happy now? :)
3. MTD
4. General cleanup and optimizations have resulted in improved launcher response, it feels more fluid and less laggy...
5. Our repo is nearly finished, we are just ironing out some manifest bugs, when alpha2 arrives, so will our git links!
6. We have chosen a team name! Galaxian-Soup!

Thanks for supporting us, and we look forward to celebrating a "Droid 2012".

In the spirit of openness, if you would like to use our rom in your work please credit us in your OP and release notes. Our git repo should be up soon.

***Update*** Xmas Dinner Edition ***
Updated links to a 1.1 version, I added the livewallpaper.apks and re-zipped, no other changes.
and a newer version of Google Apps, seems to be more stable, but I've only been using it an hour, let us know!

Good Morning and Merry Christmas!

Is there something in your stocking for your GT7310? Well Santa Clause (in the form of _Motely, nycbjr, poisike, termleech (still need a team name!)) is delivering the first public alpha!

This build has been tested on the 7310 (Gtab 8.9 wifi, no 3g), and 7300 with no 3g (3g is being looked at).

Standard YMMV tag: You are flashing this at your own risk, make a nandroid backup first! If this breaks your tab we are NOT responsible.. now go play and have fun!

ICYXMAS-p5wifi-alpha1.1-cwm
icyGapps V2

Alpha V1 - ICYXMAS!

• ICS 4.0.3_r1 vanilla
  • Rooted, deodexed,
  • Includes motley kernel v2e beta (see his thread for git details)
  • WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth

Installation:

1. In CWM recovery, clear your data/factory reset
  2. Clear the dalvik cache (under advanced, or under the wipe menu in overcome cwm)
  3. Flash the provided zip using CWM recovery
  4. Flash gapps from CWM recovery
  5. Bootup and setup your Google account
  6. Install cpu control of choice, and set to interactive governor (this is required!)
    *tested SetCPU, No-frills CPU control, and Antuantu.
  7. Give it a chance, this is a deodexed ROM and will boot slow the first time and when you use apps the first time.

Doesn't work/Limitations:
  • WiFi-only, but 3G will be looked at for a future version (no ETA at the moment)
  • Camera doesn't work, don't know when or if it can be fixed.
  • Some video limitations, youtube HD vids not working. Some stuttering will occur until we get the kinks out.
  • Charger screen doesn't look correct when you plugin without booting up (charging status)
  • Voice search doesn't work - May have something to do with this error:
    W/PackageManager(257): Failure retrieving resources forcom.google.android.voicesearch: Resource ID #0x0
  • Probably more that we haven't listed, this is an alpha - please let us know.

Team members:

• nycbjr - project manager, dev (first working build), testing/troubleshooting
  • motley - lead dev, p5 device tree, final build, kernel development
  • poisike - pioneer testing with other tegra ICS ROMs, testing/troubleshooting
  • termleech - testing

Credits:

• Google - for the releasing the OS
  • Cyanogen Mod Team - for their awesome git repo and developers. We used the p4 device tree as a starting point.
  • We would like to offer our p5 device if they are interested.
  • Samsung for the awesome device and kernel source (for HC 3.1 at least)
  • digetx - for pointing us in the right direction on the green frame buffer fix!
  • alterbridge - for his CWM Recovery port for 73xx.
  • JaeCar99 - for the sweet "Blue Hallway" bootanimation

Last edited:

jenne1980

Apr 10, 2011
I'm looking forward to a fully working ICS rom :) But a good thing takes time. Keep up the good work, guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: Smithsonian

nycbjr

Oct 10, 2006
New York
Do you guys want some help? I'm currently working on a rom for the nexus with some other guys but could lend a hand here as well. What's the best way to get a hold of you guys?

Sent from my Full AOSP on Maguro using Tapatalk

I would never turn down any help, I'm very new at this (long time sysadmin, but only been a droid head since march hah).

Only caveat is you will need approval from motley before I can release anything to you, for now you can PM me and I will give you my aim/gchat and offline email, but I think we should setup an IRC, or aim/gmail chat to make this go faster.

As this is coming from CM9 sources I need to contact them too, I don't want to flub any licensing issues, etc, and maybe they will want to help, or us to help them!

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
_motley said:
As far as WiFi, the P4 (Galaxy 10.1) uses a broadcom 4329 and we (the P5) uses the newer 4330. This is where the challenge will come it. When I get a better look at the Android code and have a flash up and running, hopefully it will become clear if something needs to be done on the kernel side or the Android side. If we start making good progress, we will need to get a git setup for our P5 stuff so we can share changes and files etc.
I don't know... I just flashed my P7300 with P7500 rom and wifi driver loads just fine. I only edited the build.prop and used a kernel from overcome rom, i didn't touch anything else. Also if you look in \system\etc\wifi you will see that both 7500 and 7510 roms have bcm4330 files there, so it looks to me that the wifi card is the same as our.
I also tried the kernel you sent me with 7500 rom and wifi driver still loads.

tri0xinn

Jul 11, 2008
this is awesome guys.. after the posts yesterday and staying up till 3:Am , I got the sucker booting.. of course that was it though. Great to see this post today.. Sounds like it's not too far off.. at least for me wifi would be the only thing left that's important since I havent touched the camera app or bluetooth yet.

nycbjr

Oct 10, 2006
New York
I don't know... I just flashed my P7300 with P7500 rom and wifi driver loads just fine. I only edited the build.prop and used a kernel from overcome rom, i didn't touch anything else. Also if you look in \system\etc\wifi you will see that both 7500 and 7510 roms have bcm4330 files there, so it looks to me that the wifi card is the same as our.
I also tried the kernel you sent me with 7500 rom and wifi driver still loads.

right, I'm going back over the source, and the board config, some wifi stuff seems commented out. I know I need to get on irc.. but work interjects lol..

for the record on linux to use broadcom it has to extract the firmware for the card, I don't think it has to for droid as in this case the firmware is provided to us. I should probably stop spinning my wheels and go back and read/learn more about how android treats these things.

I am all ears however, anyone with debugging exp can have the rom with permission to use the kernel from motly.

Reactions: Smithsonian

poisike

Jun 6, 2009
I don't think that the problem is in your build. I have tried 3 different builds and they all have the same error:
Code:
ERROR/WifiStateMachine(168): Failed to load driver!
ERROR/WifiStateMachine(168): DriverFailedState
So it looks to me that the problem is in kernel. Of course i could be wrong.

Also it looks to me that the bcm4330 driver source is posted on github (https://github.com/cyanogen/galaxy-2636/tree/ics/drivers/net/wireless/bcm4330), so i hope _motley finds time to take a look.

nycbjr

Oct 10, 2006
New York
I don't think that the problem is in your build. I have tried 3 different builds and they all have the same error:
Code:

Also it looks to me that the bcm4330 driver source is posted on github (https://github.com/cyanogen/galaxy-2636/tree/ics/drivers/net/wireless/bcm4330), so i hope _motley finds time to take a look.

ok thanks I was looking at the source on my build system remotely, and the drive went oiffine, I think my ssd is going, so I'm going to get a new on on the way home. pisses me off!

ceno808

Jun 13, 2009
Great work!
I'm seeing forward to try this out.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P7300 mit Tapatalk

_motley

Aug 17, 2010
Code:

Sorry, I misspoke, the 10.1 does indeed use the 4330 like us...been looking at Iconia, Xoom, and ASUS TF1 ROMs too much lately.

nycbjr

Oct 10, 2006
New York
Well other than the green screen affect, wifi, camera,bluethooth this thing really runs well.

HC was a pig for memory, as I noted on my Acer when I ran ICS for a bit, memory mamagment is hugely improved over honeycomb, I never had more than 200mb free on a regular basis, with ICS its well over 400mb.

and the thing really cooks along, I snap in and out of screens really fast, and angry birds works! haha

I will spend some time tonight on wifi, and making a new build.

poisike I'll setup irc tonight, I may have to rebuild the macpro, who knew running an os other than apple would cause a problem lol..

nycbjr

Oct 10, 2006
New York
Sorry, I misspoke, the 10.1 does indeed use the 4330 like us...been looking at Iconia, Xoom, and ASUS TF1 ROMs too much lately.

The otapackage build does spit out a file called "kernel" would that help you any?

I can drop it in my dropbox

actually there is a boot.img.cm9 in my alpha zip you have, but I can still upload just the file called kernel if yoi think it would help.

also once I have my macpro back in op I'm not against setting up accounts for you and poisike, or setting up our own git repo, would be beneficial to work against the same source once we zero in and attempt to create a working port for everyone.

oh and btw, your OC settings work, running ICS at 1.4ghz :)

Last edited:
Reactions: _motley

RKmd

Dec 12, 2010
Houston, TX
rk.md
This is great news!! Once the wifi is working, I'll be using this as my daily driver. Will this be a completely AOSP project or still based on TouchWiz. I wish I could have stock e-mail, calendar, etc. :(

_motley

Aug 17, 2010
The otapackage build does spit out a file called "kernel" would that help you any?

I can drop it in my dropbox

actually there is a boot.img.cm9 in my alpha zip you have, but I can still upload just the file called kernel if yoi think it would help.

also once I have my macpro back in op I'm not against setting up accounts for you and poisike, or setting up our own git repo, would be beneficial to work against the same source once we zero in and attempt to create a working port for everyone.

oh and btw, your OC settings work, running ICS at 1.4ghz :)

That sounds like it is just the zImage binary for their build, I think I remember seeing it there too. It won't do me any good. Sounds good about the repo. I can still browse the repos to look at code as necessary for the time being. Glad to hear that the OC is is still working good.

I just sent poisike a 3G kernel with the touchscreen fix so he can start working on that end.

"Don't wiz on my ICS!" haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **Last update! This thread will (shortly) be locked, and a new one will be posted With Galaxian-Soup ICS Alpha 2
    Check back in a few hours!

**Update, this tread will be retired and locked come this Thursday 1/5/2012
    Read between the lines, and you will see that a brand new thread in its place will be posted, complete with a yummy new alpha of ICS for our dedicated fans to enjoy... We thank you for your patience, after this alpha goes out we believe tere will be more frequent releases and postings

Stay tuned, but from what I've seen so far we have many surprises in store for our next release, and you, is ICS nirvana just around the corner? Check back on thursday!

Please don't take this to mean we've fixed every outstanding bug, but we have made major core improvements, and fixed some of the big "items"

We are seaking anyone with expeirence working HAL's and drivers.. if you are interested please PM me.

TTFN!!

** Update ** Work around for voice search
    It appears that voice search is broken in several AOSP roms, during my research I managed to get voice search working, however its the older version (prior to ICS). So far it seems to work fine!
    So until Google fixes (or we do hah) do this to get voice search to work

Download
    Voice_Search_2.1.4

Go to the location the this file was downloaded and from a terminal (linux/mac) or the command prompt (windows)
    Code:
    adb shell
    su (if not root)
    rm /system/app/VoiceSearch.apk
    reboot

Then side load adb Voice_Search_2.1.4
    Code:
    adb install Voice_Search_2.1.4.apk

After the install click on the microphone icon near search at the top left of the home screen, accept the permissions (you have to do this a few times, 3 by my count), don't panic if it asks a few times, it does stick.

Enjoy!

** Update** Happy New Year XDA and esp our friends with the Galaxy Tab 8.9! is this the year of the droid? We shall see!
    Hey everyone I wanted to give everyone an update and general goings on! Im sorry to inform you that there will not be a New Years alpha, but we will have something for you all very soon after.

Here is a taste of what early 2012 will bring to Alpha 2.

1. We have decided to use ASOP source rather than Cyanogen Mod, this is primarily why there hasn't been a new release since xmas. After reviewing some of the initial bugs, and reflecting on what we accomplished in under 4 days, we decided we wanted the focus of this rom to become "best in breed" optimized for the Galaxy Tab 8.9. Meaning we are going to cherry pick the best features of both to create the best possible experience, with the lightest footprint, and most importantly stock ICS launcher! NoWiz, no Trebuchet. So far it has yielded very positive results.
    2. Moving to ASOP and stock launcher has fixed one of the big bugs, automatic home screen orientation. I know more than a few of you were hoping this would be resolved fast, well there.. happy now? :)
    3. MTD
    4. General cleanup and optimizations have resulted in improved launcher response, it feels more fluid and less laggy...
    5. Our repo is nearly finished, we are just ironing out some manifest bugs, when alpha2 arrives, so will our git links!
    6. We have chosen a team name! Galaxian-Soup!

Thanks for supporting us, and we look forward to celebrating a "Droid 2012".

In the spirit of openness, if you would like to use our rom in your work please credit us in your OP and release notes. Our git repo should be up soon.

***Update*** Xmas Dinner Edition ***
    Updated links to a 1.1 version, I added the livewallpaper.apks and re-zipped, no other changes.
    and a newer version of Google Apps, seems to be more stable, but I've only been using it an hour, let us know!

Good Morning and Merry Christmas!

Is there something in your stocking for your GT7310? Well Santa Clause (in the form of _Motely, nycbjr, poisike, termleech (still need a team name!)) is delivering the first public alpha!

This build has been tested on the 7310 (Gtab 8.9 wifi, no 3g), and 7300 with no 3g (3g is being looked at).

Standard YMMV tag: You are flashing this at your own risk, make a nandroid backup first! If this breaks your tab we are NOT responsible.. now go play and have fun!

ICYXMAS-p5wifi-alpha1.1-cwm
    icyGapps V2

Alpha V1 - ICYXMAS!

• ICS 4.0.3_r1 vanilla
    • Rooted, deodexed,
    • Includes motley kernel v2e beta (see his thread for git details)
    • WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth

Installation:

1. In CWM recovery, clear your data/factory reset
    2. Clear the dalvik cache (under advanced, or under the wipe menu in overcome cwm)
    3. Flash the provided zip using CWM recovery
    4. Flash gapps from CWM recovery
    5. Bootup and setup your Google account
    6. Install cpu control of choice, and set to interactive governor (this is required!)
      *tested SetCPU, No-frills CPU control, and Antuantu.
    7. Give it a chance, this is a deodexed ROM and will boot slow the first time and when you use apps the first time.

Doesn't work/Limitations:
    • WiFi-only, but 3G will be looked at for a future version (no ETA at the moment)
    • Camera doesn't work, don't know when or if it can be fixed.
    • Some video limitations, youtube HD vids not working. Some stuttering will occur until we get the kinks out.
    • Charger screen doesn't look correct when you plugin without booting up (charging status)
    • Voice search doesn't work - May have something to do with this error:
      W/PackageManager(257): Failure retrieving resources forcom.google.android.voicesearch: Resource ID #0x0
    • Probably more that we haven't listed, this is an alpha - please let us know.

Team members:

• nycbjr - project manager, dev (first working build), testing/troubleshooting
    • motley - lead dev, p5 device tree, final build, kernel development
    • poisike - pioneer testing with other tegra ICS ROMs, testing/troubleshooting
    • termleech - testing

Credits:

• Google - for the releasing the OS
    • Cyanogen Mod Team - for their awesome git repo and developers. We used the p4 device tree as a starting point.
    • We would like to offer our p5 device if they are interested.
    • Samsung for the awesome device and kernel source (for HC 3.1 at least)
    • digetx - for pointing us in the right direction on the green frame buffer fix!
    • alterbridge - for his CWM Recovery port for 73xx.
    • JaeCar99 - for the sweet "Blue Hallway" bootanimation

Coming very very soon...

Just released a final alpha build to the team that fixes the green video transitions. It won't be long now! Merry Christmas!
    Is it very OCD that I check this forum every hour? :)

no my friend it isn't, I did it for 2 weeks on this and the 10.1 hoping someone would step forward (hence my post in general about brave devs..)

finally out of frustration I decided to do it myself, same time poiske did, and motely.. funny how fate works..

check the OP I updated it, but someting is cooking for xmas dinner, and its not ham!
    Totally agree with this! :) Also, I know developers hate questions about ETA, but are there plans for at least an alpha build to be released publicly? Christmas could come a bit early. ;)

LOL love it guys, my aim would be to have a nice xmas present for everyone (in the form of an alpha), the wifi is really the only sticking widget atm, 3 days to go, with holiday's.. hmmm.. well I'd rather work on this than <insert any family tradition> lol.

Stay tuned I am making no promises, but I am off work until monday, so hopefully that means.. well u know..

same rules apply as with CM, no etas :)
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! It is very helpful. It's good to see our community get to taste a bit of ICS on the 8.9.

Please understand that the ICS project for this device, and in general, is still in it's infancy and we might not be able to fix all issues in a timely manner. That is why the release carries the "alpha" tag. We will be working hard along with the rest of the open source community (AOSP, CM etc) to do what we can to make our device work better with ICS. Even though we have source for ICS, we don't have source for all the drivers and I am still working off of the Samsung 3.1 release of the kernel for our device and bits and pieces from kernels released for 3.2 devices etc.

As far as GSM calling goes, I don't want to speak for the others on the team, but here is my take on it. Even if it is possible, I am not comfortable about the legal reprecussions of enabling it. If your carrier has it diabled it for a reason, I don't want to be responsible for your breach of contract and have carriers knocking on my door because we have enabled it. Not sure how the others feel, but this is where I am at until someone convinces me otherwise. Just because you can, doesn't always mean it is the right thing to do. If you want to go ahead and hack something up for yourself, then by all means have at it! Our first goal is to get 3G working as it is supposed to.

Let's keep the feedback coming, but please stay on topic. Read the thread, and try not to repeat the same questions and issues over and over.

Thanks for your support!