FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide)

382 posts
Thanks Meter: 798

Post Reply Email Thread
10th April 2009, 05:29 PM |#21  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Wheaton, Il
Thanks Meter: 1,726

Donate to Me
More
Just wondering:
Code:
C:\Users\Your User Name> cd C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\tools <-- Tap Enter
Wouldn't it be a whole less typing and confusing if you just extracted the tools folder to C:\
then you would only have too type:
Code:
cd C:\tools
Also don't you have to add
Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\tools
into your Environment Variables -> System Variables -> Path ->
Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\tools
???

10th April 2009, 06:18 PM |#22  
Flag Stonington, Maine
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for the great tutorial! I haven't run adb yet mostly because all of the information was scatteredt through several messages. This will make it much easier!

I also got a good laugh at your comment about installing an .exe file! (Anybody who doesn't know how to do that shouldn't be modding a phone in my opinion).
10th April 2009, 10:24 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC

Donate to Me
More
*UPDATE* - *EDIT*

Tutorial has now been updated with more informative information and credit given to the people who posted the suggestions.

Thanks again guys for Reading/Searching before posting and I hope that this tutorial will be of help...

Stay tuned for more updates...
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidSamurai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroidSamurai Ad-Free
11th April 2009, 04:47 PM |#24  
Cleveland, tx
Thanks Meter: 2

More
this is getting to be a real pain in the but for me. i have gotten the SDK taken care of, but windows wont let me extract the USB drivers from the zip file.. i get unknown method on every file in the folder

EDIT: downloaded 7 zip and it extracted the files.. i skipped this step because i had WINrar installed..
11th April 2009, 04:59 PM |#25  
Cleveland, tx
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrcncp

Downloading
http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/index.html

Installing
http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/installing.html

Found through Google...imagine that.

yes well thanks for the help, i did plenty of searching and couldnt find it, so i came back here.. I still havent figured it out though.. on linux or windows vista.. it says thats "the driver is not intended for this platform". i got the adb all sorted out, it works i guess, it just cant find the phone..

EDIT: ok, well it appears that i was just doing it wrong (figures...) when searching for device driver i went to the folder "usb driver" and clicked it, i didnt go into the folder and select one of the two (x86 or amd64)...so i went back and selected the folder x86 and it installed.. thanks anyway to everyone who tried to help. lol
11th April 2009, 06:50 PM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC

Donate to Me
More
I am glad that you finally figured it out. Thanks for letting me know that you had to click on the architecture specific driver folder for your system. I will edit the tutorial again to include this information.
12th April 2009, 01:41 AM |#27  
OP Senior Member
Flag Greenville, SC

Donate to Me
More
*UPDATE*

I will be creating a AIO(All-in-one) package that will be OS Specific(eg. Linux, Mac OS X, Windows) that will include everything you need to get started.

Also working on a batch file(and scripts) to further automate the process and make it more "Lazy Man" friendly...

Stay Tuned for updates and rleases.

Once again, thank you for supporting our tutorials and development skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidSamurai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroidSamurai Ad-Free
12th April 2009, 05:06 AM |#28  

More
I'm sorry I tried to do this but I quit halfway there....its just too confusing...I'm sorry, but section 2 is confusing...after I clicked on the link that says installation, it asked me to do all this other things that I did not have a clue what it was telling me to do...I don't know if you can put a video tutorial on youtube or something because as of right now...i'm soo confused that I got frustrated....it is asking me to install "eclipse" then "eclipse" is asking me to install something else....do I really need to be going link by link and through all those other things..
12th April 2009, 06:22 AM |#29  
Flag Long Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 116

Donate to Me
More
Using Windows Vista x64 myself and it appears that it simply doesnt like the device. I always get "device not found" yet it works flawless on my Vista 32-Bit laptop. Go figure.
12th April 2009, 07:02 AM |#30  
Flag Ft. Stewart, GA

More
I dunno....I just got it setup on Vista 64b Ultimate. Took alittle head scratching, but it works. This is what the cmd prompt is showing me-

Code:
C:\Users\Joe>cd C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\tools

C:\android-sdk-windows-1.1_r1\tools>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
# ls
ls
cache                 init.goldfish.rc      sdcard
data                  init.rc               sqlite_stmt_journals
default.prop          init.trout.rc         sys
dev                   proc                  system
etc                   root
init                  sbin
#
12th April 2009, 06:43 PM |#31  

More
I have a hard time getting the provided USB driver to work.
First the zip format you've used is some kind of non standard and will only unzip with the latest 7zip (I've had an older version that didn't work, as well as WinRar or the Windows standard)
Then I can't get rid of the G1 driver that is already installed. I tried to update it (your driver doesn't need to be updated) or deinstall it. But when I plug my phone back in... magick!The driver is back. And with this one ADB gives me the errorevice not found.

I'll do some more googeling to find out how to force XP to use a specific driver. Wasn't very lucky so far. If I find sth. I'll edit.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)