[Q] de-brick file needed

Search This thread

scopedial

Nov 15, 2013
Ottawa
Stock Image Download

I posted a new version of the debrick file to a few testers- if it works, I'll release it into the wild... if not :crying:

Thanks for the stock image. I am downloading it now. I think you are right. I will have to replace the bootloader. I thought that I
had fixed a bootloader problem before all this happened. Apparently I made it worse.:(

I am now getting CM to boot but the SD card has to be in place to do it. Another sign.

Now if I was to use Heimdall to install that image would I do something like ...

heimdall flash --primary-boot debrick_sgh699_v2.img --no-reboot

???
I am still trying to sort out the partitions in my mind.

***update
I am just remembering that Heimdall was not behaving when I tried to use it last.
I was getting "Failed to Initialize Protocol".
However, I did manage to get CWM to work again. Any chance that I can use that to re-install the stock firmware
and repair the bootloader?

Thanks again,

Lou

Last edited:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I think it would be something like this:

Depending on how bricked the phone is, you might have to "reformat" which always comes with some warnings. I've never tried it, but it might be something like this:
heimdall flash --reparition --pit [pit filename] --MODEM NON_HLOS.bin --SBL1 sbl1.mbn ... --RPM [rpm filename] .... etc. I think you would need modem, aboot, rpm, sbl1-3 and tz to get to download mode. From there you can flash recovery, boot, img. I'm not sure what this would do to EFS.

I don't recall having too much luck with flashing by partition name, I usually flash by number, although I think the newer version of heimdall fixes this.

scopedial

Nov 15, 2013
Ottawa
no CM but CWM and download

I think it would be something like this:

Depending on how bricked the phone is, you might have to "reformat" which always comes with some warnings. I've never tried it, but it might be something like this:
heimdall flash --reparition --pit [pit filename] --MODEM NON_HLOS.bin --SBL1 sbl1.mbn ... --RPM [rpm filename] .... etc. I think you would need modem, aboot, rpm, sbl1-3 and tz to get to download mode. From there you can flash recovery, boot, img. I'm not sure what this would do to EFS.

I don't recall having too much luck with flashing by partition name, I usually flash by number, although I think the newer version of heimdall fixes this.

Just for the heck of it I thought I would try to use CWM to apply the stock image.
That wasn't so good. I still have access to download mode but instead of booting into CM I boot straight into CWM.

It is a shame that there are no tools that can validate the configuration of the partitions and/or bootloader of my phone.
I think my focus is going to be getting heimdall to work so that I can at least get a partition mapping of some sort.

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
There is a rooted JB image on the ftp server link I sent you. There is also a goodies file that flashes the modem and other partitions. It might work, depending on what partitions are borked on your phone. Flash them both through cwm.

sent while running with scissors

scopedial

Nov 15, 2013
Ottawa
OK Odin then

There is a rooted JB image on the ftp server link I sent you. There is also a goodies file that flashes the modem and other partitions. It might work, depending on what partitions are borked on your phone. Flash them both through cwm.

I have switched to Odin on my son's PC. I am also using the stock image. The reload appears to being going very well, slow, but well.

I will start over again, but using Odin, if it completes successfully.

***Update

The load of the stock image completed successfully. I can now boot into the stock Android. However, I still need the boot image on the SD card.

Is there anything I can do to take that image and copy it to a partition on the phone? I used dd to dump the image to the SD card, and I now
have a terminal shell on my phone, can't I use the Android dd command to take the image of the SD card and put it into a partition?
Maybe the boot partition? Or maybe some bootloader image that I can put in place using Odin? Since it appears to work with the T699.

Thanks,

Lou

Last edited:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I have switched to Odin on my son's PC. I am also using the stock image. The reload appears to being going very well, slow, but well.

I will start over again, but using Odin, if it completes successfully.

***Update

The load of the stock image completed successfully. I can now boot into the stock Android. However, I still need the boot image on the SD card.

Is there anything I can do to take that image and copy it to a partition on the phone? I used dd to dump the image to the SD card, and I now
have a terminal shell on my phone, can't I use the Android dd command to take the image of the SD card and put it into a partition?
Maybe the boot partition? Or maybe some bootloader image that I can put in place using Odin? Since it appears to work with the T699.

Thanks,

Lou
The debrick file is a data dump of the first 65MB or so of the internal phone memory. I'm not sure how you borked your phone, so it's hard to figure out what needs to be fixed. I think dumping the debrick image to your phone might work, but it will be a crude solution and could break things even worse. It might be /dev/block/mmcblk0 *maybe* but it will still need a recovery, boot, and system to work, which are in the stock image. The debrick image will overwrite the boot, so write the boot after the debricking image.

Heimdall does spit out partition information with the print-pit option. It will also backup partition information with the download-pit option. I sent you links with the stock pit info. I think using heimdall would be safer. I haven't used odin ever.

Reactions: scopedial
N

Nardholio

Your stock image should contain all the partitions you need. Unless you flashed a modified version. You need the *original* stock tar

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk

scopedial

Nov 15, 2013
Ottawa
Fixing the bootloader

Your stock image should contain all the partitions you need. Unless you flashed a modified version. You need the *original* stock tar

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk

I found this article from the "Root Lord" on fixing the Galaxy Y - http://rootlord.blogspot.ca/2013/07/repair-and-unroot-bricked-samsung.html

Can I assume that I can do something similar to fix my bootloader on my T699? Of course I would be using the stock rom that
I have. I have restored just about everything using the "PDA" option but I have not tried the bootloader option, with the stock rom.
I am continuing to have boot up problems in the mean time.:confused:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
That is odin and I have no clue about it. I did notice that a lot of people in the comments were complaining about no having the bootloader file. The debrick image does contain the bootloader, however it is probably not in a format that odin will accept.

If it were me, I would use heimdall write the partitions.

scopedial

Nov 15, 2013
Ottawa
That is odin and I have no clue about it. I did notice that a lot of people in the comments were complaining about no having the bootloader file. The debrick image does contain the bootloader, however it is probably not in a format that odin will accept.

Yup, I understand. The problem I have is that heimdall isn't working so well (I tried Linux too) with the T699 but Odin is. Actually Odin appears
to be working great with it. I was even using the same USB cable with all three computers.

More later. ;)

scopedial

Nov 15, 2013
Ottawa

*** Update

I used Odin last night with the stock load with no new results. The phone still will not boot without the SD card.

The one interesting thing was that Odin did not like the PIT file that you sent me. Are you able to validate that file for me?
Or is that file only valid with Heimdall? I might go back and try Heimdall again, but like I mentioned earlier, it just is not behaving well.

I really wish there were some diagnostics that I could run to figure out what the problem is. :confused:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
The PIT file was pulled using heimdall, so it might be in a different format, or lacking headers that odin is expecting. Just to be clear, don't use the text file which is the interpretation of the pit file.

N

Nardholio

So I read somewhere else that once you boot with the sd you can dd the debrick file to /dev/block/mmcblk0 to completely unbrick
dd if=/sdcard/debrick.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I think that will work to boot without the sd card, but the debrick file I posted is missing the ROM and maybe even recovery. These can be flashed through heimdall or adb.

chuckiev79

Jul 29, 2012
I think that will work to boot without the sd card, but the debrick file I posted is missing the ROM and maybe even recovery. These can be flashed through heimdall or adb.

can you guys please post that link to de-brick file. I just bricked my relay last night. I was an idiot and drunk and tried to flash a kernel from another phone. please please help!

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
If it's just the kernel, you can probably just flash the boot.img. Whatever rom you flashed last will have the right kernel. Just flash it again.

Let me know if that works.

chuckiev79

Jul 29, 2012
If it's just the kernel, you can probably just flash the boot.img. Whatever rom you flashed last will have the right kernel. Just flash it again.

Let me know if that works.

phone wont boot into download or cmw or boot at all.

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

phone wont boot into download or cmw or boot at all.

odin doesnt see it either

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
OK, here's the link http://www.mediafire.com/download/nd22282tn46nr4r/debrick_sgh699_v2.img

As usual, use at your own risk, no refunds, no warranties, no drama. FYI, I sold my relay, so I can't test anything on my end.

If I recall correctly, use a 16gb or bigger sd card, even though the file is only 78M or so. Use dd to copy the file to the SD card. With some magic and a few beers the phone should boot, then use heimdall to restore.

Reactions: Mr.qasem

chuckiev79

Jul 29, 2012
OK, here's the link http://www.mediafire.com/download/nd22282tn46nr4r/debrick_sgh699_v2.img

As usual, use at your own risk, no refunds, no warranties, no drama. FYI, I sold my relay, so I can't test anything on my end.

If I recall correctly, use a 16gb or bigger sd card, even though the file is only 78M or so. Use dd to copy the file to the SD card. With some magic and a few beers the phone should boot, then use heimdall to restore.

thanks man for sure! ill let you know how it goes.

chuckiev79

Jul 29, 2012
Thank you gee one! The file worked like a charm. Not sure how it all worked but it did. I talked to several people about this and none of them had a clue. Xda has soo many members and i can only imagine how many people do these kind of things worldwide, but in baltimore md people look at you like an alien if you talk about roms and kernels. I dont know much yet but hopefully someday. Thanks again!?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wrote the debrick file to a 16gb sd card on my computer with win32 diskwriter. Then I put the card back into my relay and was able to go into download mode. From there I flashed a cmw.tar. file.(can't remember where I got it) then phone was able to be booted up. I had to go back into recovery and reflash modem and bootloader, so that phone could boot without that SD card, but then all was and is well. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Edit I flashed the cwm.tar file with odin
    Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app
    I posted a new version of the debrick file to a few testers- if it works, I'll release it into the wild... if not :crying:
    I put together a potential debrick file, but I need a bricked relay to test it. I don't want to brick mine to test, however, it appears that you have nothing left to lose. PM sent
    The other thread had something like remove(?) battery, insert SD card, replace battery(?), then turn on. It might be volume down/home/power. I think another post said they had to hold the power button down for several seconds.

I think a 16gb card would be fine, although I think the other thread said it took several write attempts to the sd card. You should be able to see the partitions in the disk utility or gparted. fdisk won't recognize the GUID partition table.
    After trying a number of different actions I decided to check the voltage on my battery.
    It appears to be completely drained! Any advice on how to charge it?
    I am thinking of cobbling together an adapter and using one of my other phones to charge it or maybe
    my hobby/model chargers.

Maybe the t-mo store will let you charge it? For other phones, I've used a generic charger, but it was designed for nickel and lithium batteries.