FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

917 posts
Thanks Meter: 894

By Koush, Retired Recognized Developer on 4th November 2008, 10:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th November 2008, 11:54 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Wow again, please sir keep us updated. and give us a walk through. You guy's Are about to make history keep up the good work(o yeah, and get some sleep)

5th November 2008, 12:04 PM |#32  
Flag Phoenix, AZ, USA
Thanks Meter: 30

More
It's just too much fun. I cant go to sleep yet, but I probably will :/

I forgot to mention, /etc/passwd doesnt exist. That would make it too easy, hehe
5th November 2008, 01:34 PM |#33  
Flag Kansas
Thanks Meter: 156

More
so is there any way to do this over USB so we can tether through ssh? Or do I need to carry a wireless router everywhere to log in?
5th November 2008, 01:52 PM |#34  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Well done jailbreaking the G1, I want to see some XDA Apps on it
5th November 2008, 03:13 PM |#35  
Flag San Jose, CA
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I hope/wonder-if this will lead to lower level apps for Android, and how-to’s like:

1) how-to set up your Android Phone as a Wifi Router
2) how-to enable other bluetooth profiles (DUN, PAN, HID, BIP)
3) how-to set up symlinks for installing/storing your Android Market apps on your micro-SDHC card

And then apps that aren’t Dalvik based (ie. native binary based apps), and perhaps an apt-get like packaging system for native apps.

Hopefully someone can set up a better terminal emulator than pterminal (it’s great for what it is, but it’s not like running an OS X “Terminal”, nor an xterm … the terminal emulation code from ConnectBot would be ideal to use in place of pterminal’s interface).

However, this is rather outstanding news. Soon, perhaps, Android wont just be the most open phone platform, but it’ll be a genuine unix box in your pocket (that you can use directly as a unix box).

I wonder how long before there’s a Jabber server so you access the SMS/MMS capabilities from your laptop’s Jabber client … and a SIP server for the voice interface. Being able to do that via Wifi and/or USB would be absolutely lovely.
5th November 2008, 03:19 PM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Smile Confirmed on a UK G1
Build kila_uk-user 1.0 TC5-RC7 112931 ota-rel-keys,release keys

# mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# ls
sqlite_stmt_journals
cache
blah
5th November 2008, 06:58 PM |#37  
Flag Windhoek
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Great find!

I am a linux noob and I'm wondering, since you are already root, assuming there is a password, can't you just issue a command to reset the password?
5th November 2008, 07:29 PM |#38  
Flag Phoenix, AZ, USA

More
There are no password commands whatsoever. It isnt using standard linux password management. Yes, I could simply use passwd thats built into busybox, but I might risk bricking the phone.
5th November 2008, 07:59 PM |#39  
Flag Kansas
Thanks Meter: 156

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by staulkor

There are no password commands whatsoever. It isnt using standard linux password management. Yes, I could simply use passwd thats built into busybox, but I might risk bricking the phone.

That's why we have to be careful with root.... anyone have sshd working yet?
5th November 2008, 08:02 PM |#40  
Flag Salem, OR
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by staulkor

I tried using passwd in busybox, got an error because of no /etc/passwd. So, why not make one? I can't so far tell that there are any passwords stored on the system anywhere...
5th November 2008, 08:17 PM |#41  
Flag Phoenix, AZ, USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagentooboy

That's why we have to be careful with root.... anyone have sshd working yet?

I got sshd working, but I cant login because either we dont know the password, or there isnt a password and a password is required for ssh.

I got everything working in the emulator now since I dont want to chance bricking my phone. I will create a passwd file in a sec and see what happens. I doubt it will work.

One thing of interest I did find is the file /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/accounts.db. It contains your gmail username, encrypted password, and sha1 hash of the password.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cupcake, jf1.5, root, tutorial, upgrade

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)