FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

917 posts
Thanks Meter: 894

By Koush, Retired Recognized Developer on 4th November 2008, 10:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th November 2008, 08:17 PM |#41  
Flag Phoenix, AZ, USA
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagentooboy

That's why we have to be careful with root.... anyone have sshd working yet?

I got sshd working, but I cant login because either we dont know the password, or there isnt a password and a password is required for ssh.

I got everything working in the emulator now since I dont want to chance bricking my phone. I will create a passwd file in a sec and see what happens. I doubt it will work.

One thing of interest I did find is the file /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/accounts.db. It contains your gmail username, encrypted password, and sha1 hash of the password.

5th November 2008, 08:24 PM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
try to add a user?

I am going to tinker as soon as I get home, nice to see root is finally available!

and it's funny I was trying to run telnetd through adb and connect to the localhost but couldn't get it to work :P
5th November 2008, 08:55 PM |#43  
Moscow
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Maybe i miss something, actualy i don't have g1 to check, but it works with emulator. All we need it's android sdk and adb tool.

1. Connect phone to pc
2. run in tools folder adb shell
3. and then
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

now you have /system mounted as rw. Please someone check it on phone.
5th November 2008, 09:40 PM |#44  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 158

Donate to Me
More
Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by vovkab

Please someone check it on phone.

That works fine on the phone (or more simply "mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system")

And to make life easier:
http://benno.id.au/blog/2007/11/14/android-busybox

I suspect you can get dropbear working by creating /etc/passwd with:
root::0:0:root:/root:/data/busybox/ash
(Warning: if that works there will be -no- password!)

If someone wants to post hints on building it (I've already got the platform built) I'll give it a go.. I'm not afraid of my phone
5th November 2008, 09:53 PM |#45  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 894

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vovkab

Maybe i miss something, actualy i don't have g1 to check, but it works with emulator. All we need it's android sdk and adb tool.

1. Connect phone to pc
2. run in tools folder adb shell
3. and then
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

now you have /system mounted as rw. Please someone check it on phone.

The emulator has root already, thats why you can remount it as read write. You can't remount as read write on a real phone without root.
5th November 2008, 09:54 PM |#46  
Flag Phoenix, AZ, USA
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Its a no-go for creating the passwd file
5th November 2008, 11:19 PM |#47  
Flag Atlanta

More
yeah i just tried it straight on the phone since i'm still in my 14 days hehe
6th November 2008, 12:21 AM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
ok so thats what OPEN SOURCE is? what takes three buttons cd\ in windows takes all this work, internet and a software to do?
6th November 2008, 01:04 AM |#49  
Flag /dev/null

More
i got bored and tried su under busybox via telnet...look what I got.

Quote:

su: unknown id: root

Looks like the root account doesn't actually exist...It seems that everything just runs with root rights, but under a different username.

Im gonna try setting a bruteforce loose on it to see what happens :P. I'd welcome anyone else to try and crack it.
6th November 2008, 01:11 AM |#50  

More
i got a g1 with insurance and another in the stash, im willing to test out anything for those scared of bricking their phone, but i not much of a linux guy i can get the root thru telnet and thats about it. if any one wants me to try something pm or post instruction on how and what to do.
6th November 2008, 02:23 AM |#51  
Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 86,707

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynite

ok so thats what OPEN SOURCE is? what takes three buttons cd\ in windows takes all this work, internet and a software to do?

I'm sorry to say this, but after talking to a whole bunch of people, including Google folks, and in the relevant IRC channel, I can indeed only conclude that Android's level of "open"-ness rivals only the iPhone, with both Windows Mobile and Symbian being more "open" to whatever you want to do.

And yeah, I do like Windows Mobile. I am not a Microsoft fanboy, but I can honestly say they have offered me and my company a lot of help during development. Still, considering the legacy-based API's, the sometimes buggy libraries and often buggy drivers (I'm talking to you, HTC!), it's apparently still the best anyone can do considering what the developers can and may actually do on the device. I think that's quite a sad state of affairs, especially after Android's hype.

True, Android comes with source - but what good is source if you can't do anything with it? You pretty much have to 'jailbreak' the G1 to do the really interesting stuff. Do note that this is not completely Google/OHA's fault - Android is further locked down by T-Mobile than it is out-of-the-box.

Too bad I didn't know this before I ordered my G1 (eBay?). What is comes down to is that Android in it's current public form (the G1) is nothing more than a fancy JavaOS and not revolutionary or more accessable. In other words, useless for people like me.

It suffers from other iPhone like ludicrous stuff too, like applications usually not being really able to run in the background... it will run in the background, until some other app needs the memory or whatever, and is then closed.

I haven't even received my G1 yet I'm already disappointed beyond the level I could have been disappointed with any other phone. At least with the iPhone one knew what they were getting into - closed down crap. Nothing more than you can expect from Apple. The same as you know if you buy a HTC device it will be horribly undersupported, have no FPU, have no 2D acceleration and half the hardware may not be used. This was different though, they actually succeeded in making me think it would be open, modifyable, etc, despite my natural aversion of everything Google has a hand in.

I mean really, the user being able to do root things is a security issue for people, but trusting all your contacts and mail etc to Google is not? That's not having your priorities straight.

I deem this a fail of epic proportions.

/rant
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cupcake, jf1.5, root, tutorial, upgrade

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)