[HOW-TO] Fix 5 vibrate and black screen

Search This thread

goblue13579

Sep 23, 2010
Here was my situation: when trying to boot the phone, it would go to the splash screen for a few seconds, then go to a black screen and vibrate 5 times. Had to pull the battery to escape. However, when booting after a battery pull with the charger in it booted just fine, but with no sd card recognition or usb/adb functionality. A factory reset and both htc's and verizon's tech support didn't fix it at all. I had this problem and there seemed to be no good guide on how to fix it so I decided to gather all the right sources in one place.

The reason it's messed up comes from the usb problem, which is why plugging it in lets it boot sometimes. So, contrary to all of tech support, fixing the usb is all you need to do to get it working same as usual again. I've outlined the steps below in the way I think makes the most sense, but read all of what I wrote to understand what you're doing before you start. The links are the specific instructions for each piece written by people smarter than me. I only take credit for figuring out what I needed to do and bringing all of their minds together in one place.

The Process

First thing is to see if you can get it booted. Best bet is to take out the battery and charger, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then connect the charger and battery and boot. If you can't do that then your only option would be to try some fastboot adb trickery (which is over my head) or flash the stock rom in hboot from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-hacks/95406-how-correctly-unroot-incredible.html. Note which radio you have (listed in settings -> about phone somewhere or on top of hboot) to get the right file. If you can get it booted then move to the next step.

To fix the sd card and usb go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695243.
Fastboot is in the tools folder of the android sdk, not platform-tools like adb. To get the drivers working go to http://www.flexjunk.com/2010/05/01/installing-htc-incredible-android-sd-drivers/
UPDATE: To clarify: fastboot is a completely separate (although closely related) piece of software from adb. If you do not have "fastboot.exe", download it from http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/2153...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/ and follow the instructions there. Or, you can just download the full sdk from google which should include adb and fastboot. I recommend the second option, but my hard drive can take the hit. (thanks BonzTM)
UPDATE: If you get an error saying "The Program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer" you need to copy that file from platform-tools to tools, then it should work (thanks Jester1614).
If you had to reflash and lost root download z4root from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953 and do a temporary root to be able to run the commands to fix the usb.

Once the sd card and usb are fixed then it should reboot with or without the charger plugged in. Now your phone is stable and will work with unrevoked again and you should be good to go!

Disclaimer

Note: This is what I experienced with my amoled incredible; in no way do I take responsibility for anything you do. If you try to blame me for bricking your phone I will enjoy a hearty laugh while salting my soup with your tears.

Last edited:

eljean

Aug 27, 2010
Bronx
here was my situation: When trying to boot the phone, it would go to the splash screen for a few seconds, then go to a black screen and vibrate 5 times. Had to pull the battery to escape. However, when booting after a battery pull with the charger in it booted just fine, but with no sd card recognition or usb/adb functionality. A factory reset and both htc's and verizon's tech support didn't fix it at all. I had this problem and there seemed to be no good guide on how to fix it so i decided to gather all the right sources in one place.

The reason it's messed up comes from the usb problem, which is why plugging it in lets it boot sometimes. So, contrary to all of tech support, fixing the usb is all you need to do to get it working same as usual again. I've outlined the steps below in the way i think makes the most sense, but read all of what i wrote to understand what you're doing before you start. The links are the specific instructions for each piece written by people smarter than me. I only take credit for figuring out what i needed to do and bringing all of their minds together in one place.

the process

first thing is to see if you can get it booted. Best bet is to take out the battery and charger, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then connect the charger and battery and boot. If you can't do that then your only option would be to try some fastboot adb trickery (which is over my head) or flash the stock rom in hboot from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-hacks/95406-how-correctly-unroot-incredible.html. Note which radio you have (listed in settings -> about phone somewhere or on top of hboot) to get the right file. If you can get it booted then move to the next step.

Fastboot is in the tools folder of the android sdk, not platform-tools like adb. To get the drivers working go to http://www.flexjunk.com/2010/05/01/installing-htc-incredible-android-sd-drivers/
if you had to reflash and lost root download z4root from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953 and do a temporary root to be able to run the commands to fix the usb.

Once the sd card and usb are fixed then it should reboot with or without the charger plugged in. Now your phone is stable and will work with unrevoked again and you should be good to go!

disclaimer

note: This is what i experienced with my amoled incredible; in no way do i take responsibility for anything you do. If you try to blame me for bricking your phone i will enjoy a hearty laugh while salting my soup with your tears.

u saved my life/phone i love u son

sofocused715

Oct 12, 2010
So...question: Does this mean if you had to reflash and are currently unrooted, that you have to wait for z4root to show up in the market. Because it seems there is no way to root aside from that, and without root no usb, and no usb no adb

Last edited:

goblue13579

Sep 23, 2010
So...question: Does this mean if you had to reflash and are currently unrooted, that you have to wait for z4root to show up in the market. Because it seems there is no way to root aside from that, and without root no usb, and no usb no adb

Actually you can download it from the link I provided in my post to the xda page for it (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953). Scroll to the bottom of the first post and in the attached files there is a version that works. That's what I did, and then you can run the usb fixing commands. Then it's just reboot, re-root, and restore.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: JimAndroid

AJGO23

Mar 28, 2011
Boston, MA
This needs to be stickied(sp?) and maybe added to the Development section where it would most likely be looked for first.

If I've helped you, hit the thanks button!

brando56894

Dec 16, 2010
Jersey City
I wish I would have known this back in March when this happened to me! But then again my phone was S-ON and to get the USB fix to work you said you need root so I might have still been SOL.

doug piston

Mar 19, 2010
I wish I would have known this back in March when this happened to me! But then again my phone was S-ON and to get the USB fix to work you said you need root so I might have still been SOL.

That is what the z4 root is for. You dont need s-off, just root. The things are going to s-on by themselves when something is trying to write to the misc, thus the misc brick. PITA brick if ya ask me.

wildstang83

Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Oct 14, 2010
Nowheresville
xdaforums.com
That is what the z4 root is for. You dont need s-off, just root. The things are going to s-on by themselves when something is trying to write to the misc, thus the misc brick. PITA brick if ya ask me.

Glad yall were able to make something of this. This is gonna save some people since warranties are finally running out. Hey Doug, I seen your thread over on AF. You did a very good job of writing that up.

Oh and thanks for the tiny little peace of credit, heh. Glad I could help 'point' the late and great dougpiston in the right direction on something, lol

Reactions: JimAndroid

doug piston

Mar 19, 2010
Glad yall were able to make something of this. This is gonna save some people since warranties are finally running out. Hey Doug, I seen your thread over on AF. You did a very good job of writing that up.

Oh and thanks for the tiny little peace of credit, heh. Glad I could help 'point' the late and great dougpiston in the right direction on something, lol

Late and great is an over statement. I am just a user like most here. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my PM. I have been out of the Inc game for some time now so a little direction was very helpful.

Like I said I knew what had to be done but ADB kept ****ting itself, as soon as I read the OP and to use a terminal emulator I slammed my head on my desk.

So simple, I was spending all my time trying to get ADB to run that the idea of the usb being borked hadn't even crossed my mine.

This thread really does deserve more credit and to OP good on ya son. Well done.

JimAndroid

Jan 11, 2011
NY
Thank you goblue13579, wildstang83 and Doug Piston! My phone is totally functional once again.

Odd timing how the problem happened only 2 days ago on my phone, and coincidentally, a fix was hashed out in the same time period after all this time of it being unfixable.

I owe you all a beer! Thanks again! :D

Reactions: wildstang83

wildstang83

Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Oct 14, 2010
Nowheresville
xdaforums.com
Late and great is an over statement. I am just a user like most here. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my PM. I have been out of the Inc game for some time now so a little direction was very helpful.

Like I said I knew what had to be done but ADB kept ****ting itself, as soon as I read the OP and to use a terminal emulator I slammed my head on my desk.

So simple, I was spending all my time trying to get ADB to run that the idea of the usb being borked hadn't even crossed my mine.

This thread really does deserve more credit and to OP good on ya son. Well done.

Yea bud, even I use adb so much that I keep forgetting that there's emulators to use. Its just one of those things we never think about.

goblue13579

Sep 23, 2010
Even though it was really more dumb luck and excessive googling that got me to this solution, thanks! I'm glad my compilation has helped so many people. And honestly, it's the least I can do for all the help and goodies I've gotten from these forums and developers.

Happy modding!

bigsapz

Feb 14, 2011
Let the phone sit for an hour with the battery out. Put the battery in after that, should be good

Sent from my 2.3.5 Incredible Obsession

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here was my situation: when trying to boot the phone, it would go to the splash screen for a few seconds, then go to a black screen and vibrate 5 times. Had to pull the battery to escape. However, when booting after a battery pull with the charger in it booted just fine, but with no sd card recognition or usb/adb functionality. A factory reset and both htc's and verizon's tech support didn't fix it at all. I had this problem and there seemed to be no good guide on how to fix it so I decided to gather all the right sources in one place.

The reason it's messed up comes from the usb problem, which is why plugging it in lets it boot sometimes. So, contrary to all of tech support, fixing the usb is all you need to do to get it working same as usual again. I've outlined the steps below in the way I think makes the most sense, but read all of what I wrote to understand what you're doing before you start. The links are the specific instructions for each piece written by people smarter than me. I only take credit for figuring out what I needed to do and bringing all of their minds together in one place.

The Process

First thing is to see if you can get it booted. Best bet is to take out the battery and charger, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then connect the charger and battery and boot. If you can't do that then your only option would be to try some fastboot adb trickery (which is over my head) or flash the stock rom in hboot from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-hacks/95406-how-correctly-unroot-incredible.html. Note which radio you have (listed in settings -> about phone somewhere or on top of hboot) to get the right file. If you can get it booted then move to the next step.

UPDATE: To clarify: fastboot is a completely separate (although closely related) piece of software from adb. If you do not have "fastboot.exe", download it from http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/2153...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/ and follow the instructions there. Or, you can just download the full sdk from google which should include adb and fastboot. I recommend the second option, but my hard drive can take the hit. (thanks BonzTM)
    UPDATE: If you get an error saying "The Program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer" you need to copy that file from platform-tools to tools, then it should work (thanks Jester1614).
    If you had to reflash and lost root download z4root from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953 and do a temporary root to be able to run the commands to fix the usb.

Disclaimer

Note: This is what I experienced with my amoled incredible; in no way do I take responsibility for anything you do. If you try to blame me for bricking your phone I will enjoy a hearty laugh while salting my soup with your tears.
    I have a droid incredible that used to have this problem. I flashed back to stock, rooted,followed the guide and everything seems to be back in order. There is one thing that seems to be off. The phone is fully functional but it sometimes will randomly go into the 5 vibs of death. A battery pull usually fixes this. Sometimes it takes days before this happens.

I have found one commonality to this and I think it is the phone's battery. Shortly after this problem occurred, I installed cm7.1.0 and turned down the processor speed to 614MHz and put the governer on ONDEMAND. This almost seemed to fix the 5 vibs. Now it only 5 vibs if I'm using an app that causes the phone to heat up a little (like a game)

I then went to my friend who I purchased this from (she had never rooted the device). She told me that the phone had occasionally rebooted on her before while using google navigation. She said it just rebooted not 5 vibs.

I was thinking a new battery would possibly fix it? I really wish I new what the 5 vibs actually meant.

This sounds like a hardware issue to do with overheating, as google nav heats up the device a lot too. The 5 vibrate mode is (as best I can tell) a hardware management interface, because it shows up as a Qualcomm device in windows when connected in this mode. There are no openly available tools to use it to my knowledge though. This would lead me to believe that a new battery would make no difference, but it's a much cheaper fix than anything else so I might try it after the below idea.

One thing you could try is get a phone monitoring app to keep track of what happens when it reboots, I know there are apps like this marketed as battery monitors. You could use this to see if there is a voltage or temperature association with it.

Hope this helps!
    As you can see by my post count I can't put anything anywhere, so if someone wants to move it feel free.

I re-worded your OP and posted it on another forum. I did credit you though. You are now famous. :)

Actually you can download it from the link I provided in my post to the xda page for it (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953). Scroll to the bottom of the first post and in the attached files there is a version that works. That's what I did, and then you can run the usb fixing commands. Then it's just reboot, re-root, and restore.

Hope this helps.