Bootloader Unlocked- Discussion

Search This thread

skater95

Sep 11, 2010
Wichita, Kansas
Was the bootloader cracked, or was an unlocked bootloader leaked? I've read that one was leaked, so I was just wondering.

Sent from my Maxxed Out Razr!

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
Actually it doesn't matter now but may matter in the future.

The modem partition is part of the PBL (primary bootloader). It is earlier in the chain of trust than the aboot partition (the leaked unsecure partition). If Verizon releases a modem that we want (maybe better global roaming features) but changes the required private key for subsequent boot chain partitions, we won't be able to run the modem without bricking.

That being said, assuming you don't take an OTA update, you can stay locked forever with the modems out now (LF2 and LG1).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

e_droid

Feb 15, 2011
A lot of great information in this thread. :good: Some of you should spend the time to read through it before posting (can't count how many times I saw the same question asked).

However, as for EZ-Recovery and CWM, if I flash this and later on decide I want to try TWRP, does CWM need to be removed in any way?

trafalger888

Aug 18, 2010
A lot of great information in this thread. :good: Some of you should spend the time to read through it before posting (can't count how many times I saw the same question asked).

However, as for EZ-Recovery and CWM, if I flash this and later on decide I want to try TWRP, does CWM need to be removed in any way?

No...as long as you're not using kexec it will not need to be removed you can just flash over it with ez-recovery

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Reactions: e_droid

Muckrak3r

Sep 16, 2010
Need help with the CASUAL package for rooting and unlocking the bootloader.

Okay let me head off the "LMGTFY" links, and crap replies that aren't helpful - go away if you're going to do that garbage... Maybe, and stick with me on this.... maybe there are several other people in the EXACT same situation as me that are having the same issue. If you don't care to help in response to this just move on along. That being said, those that can help and have advice on what to do, it's much appreciated!

- I'm not a "noob" to flashing, my preferred method is Odin. Used it several times. Flashed recoveries, kernels, modems, blah blah blah. I am however, new to this method of rooting/unlocking and have a couple issues with it.

- In Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, the CASUAL package DL's and opens up just fine. Then it freezes and doesn't detect my device. Then it won't close, etc etc. Basically useless on that OS. I downloaded the latest JRE package from the Oracle website. Same results.

- Downloaded Ubuntu. Downloaded the CASUAL from inside Ubuntu, and I get the following on my screen: http://i.imgur.com/v7S7j.png
No ".exe" type icon, just folders. Everything I double click just opens a folder and lists upon lists of items. I have read other posts of people that DL'd Ubuntu only to run into what I'm seeing here.

- My preference is to have the CASUAL package work. On either OS, I don't care which one. It's just too simple (obviously not for me at this time lol). Don't want to have to "dd" or "adb" stuff etc if I don't have to.

* I know there is an app in the Play Store for unlocking the bootloader. As awesome as that is (and it IS awesome), I still want root access and I'm not 100% sure if I need to already be rooted in order to run the unlocking app.

Again, assistance is appreciated. If you are experiencing this same issue, quote and add your experience as well. If you can help and care to do so, please do! Up until now I have always been able to use Windows for 1-click methods and Odin etc, this is the first time I've had to venture out and try and sort out another method of using the 1-click app. Thanks in advance! Remember, we're not all programmers and devs here, but that's how devs get started here right? Inquiring, trying stuff, learning (a lot of times with the help of others), and then the XDA community as a whole gets better with each new thing that each member learns.

p-slim

May 25, 2008
San Jose
Yes, you have to be rooted already in order to run the app from the play store. In app description it says that clearly. There is another thread that will walk you through rooting, this is the bootloader unlocking thread

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I would recommend using the DebugFS root method (it is the fastest & easiest). Once the rooting is done, open the superuser app, then run an update for superuser within the app. Reboot the phone once, then use the EZ unlock app.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I would recommend using the DebugFS root method (it is the fastest & easiest). Once the rooting is done, open the superuser app, then run an update for superuser within the app. Reboot the phone once, then use the EZ unlock app.

MuckRak3r, I did the above yesterday however I stopped before attempting to unlock the bootloader. I was having similar issues with Adam's Casual tool failing to actually root my phone or even just freezing after it rebooted my phone. I was using Windows (no Linux whatsoever). I read here that a few Wndows users had success so I tried but to no avail until I ran the DebugFS root method.

Last edited:

codyvance

Mar 8, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Okay let me head off the "LMGTFY" links, and crap replies that aren't helpful - go away if you're going to do that garbage... Maybe, and stick with me on this.... maybe there are several other people in the EXACT same situation as me that are having the same issue. If you don't care to help in response to this just move on along. That being said, those that can help and have advice on what to do, it's much appreciated!

- I'm not a "noob" to flashing, my preferred method is Odin. Used it several times. Flashed recoveries, kernels, modems, blah blah blah. I am however, new to this method of rooting/unlocking and have a couple issues with it.

- In Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, the CASUAL package DL's and opens up just fine. Then it freezes and doesn't detect my device. Then it won't close, etc etc. Basically useless on that OS. I downloaded the latest JRE package from the Oracle website. Same results.

- Downloaded Ubuntu. Downloaded the CASUAL from inside Ubuntu, and I get the following on my screen: http://i.imgur.com/v7S7j.png
No ".exe" type icon, just folders. Everything I double click just opens a folder and lists upon lists of items. I have read other posts of people that DL'd Ubuntu only to run into what I'm seeing here.

- My preference is to have the CASUAL package work. On either OS, I don't care which one. It's just too simple (obviously not for me at this time lol). Don't want to have to "dd" or "adb" stuff etc if I don't have to.

* I know there is an app in the Play Store for unlocking the bootloader. As awesome as that is (and it IS awesome), I still want root access and I'm not 100% sure if I need to already be rooted in order to run the unlocking app.

Again, assistance is appreciated. If you are experiencing this same issue, quote and add your experience as well. If you can help and care to do so, please do! Up until now I have always been able to use Windows for 1-click methods and Odin etc, this is the first time I've had to venture out and try and sort out another method of using the 1-click app. Thanks in advance! Remember, we're not all programmers and devs here, but that's how devs get started here right? Inquiring, trying stuff, learning (a lot of times with the help of others), and then the XDA community as a whole gets better with each new thing that each member learns.

I recommend EZUnlock on play store, one click.. Not sure what you mean you still want root access because you have to have root before unlocking.. There is many root methods, just search

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3
Running the kick ass CyanogenMod and UNLOCKED bootloader.. F u verizon

Last edited:

Muckrak3r

Sep 16, 2010
MuckRak3r, I did the above yesterday however I stopped before attempting to unlock the bootloader. I was having similar issues with Adam's Casual tool failing to actually root my phone or even just freezing after it rebooted my phone. I was using Windows (no Linux whatsoever). I read here that a few Wndows users had success so I tried but to no avail until I ran the DebugFS root method.

Cool - thanks Slim. Once I get going on trying to get something to work I really want it to work lol. DebugFS will be my next step. Might just mess around with the CASUAL on my own and see if I can at least get it working either in Windows or Ubuntu. It has so many options in it, instead of having to go out and piece together the different steps separately. Thanks again!

timmy14

Aug 19, 2012
Cairo
Bricked my SII T989

Hi,

I was trying to unlock my Samsung T989 and I got kinda desperate so i I tried the play app.
After I applied unlock the phone rebooted and I'm not able to bring it back up or in DL mode.

I'd really appreciate the help.. And yes I'm a newbie

Vorfidus

Jul 9, 2012
Richmond, VA
Hi,

I was trying to unlock my Samsung T989 and I got kinda desperate so i I tried the play app.
After I applied unlock the phone rebooted and I'm not able to bring it back up or in DL mode.

That app specifically states its for the Vzw gs3 (sch-i535). In a nutshell, you just flashed an improper aboot file to your phones bootloader, so yeah. You probably have a hard brick on your hands.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345358457209.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345358457209.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: timmy14

AlexDeGruven

Mar 24, 2008
Ann Arbor
www.structuredthought.org
Hi,

If you're a newbie, then you got yourself in way over your head.

You may have bricked hard enough to require a jig or even possibly JTAG. Neither of which is an easy route.

You really need to get on the sub for your specific phone. We can't really help much oh this side except to tell you what you now already know, which is "you shouldn't have done that"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: timmy14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How To Unlock:
    Best way to unlock: Play Store app that does it automatically

Visit Adam's original announcement post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30274025&postcount=317

Huge thanks to everyone in the Research thread spending countless hours to get the job done and the person that made the leak possible!

Old Info (for reference only!):
    (Text in RED are my safety additions):
    Here's how to do it manually without CASUAL. All credits to Adam.

From a computer with adb on a rooted device:

Code:
    adb push aboot.img /sdcard/aboot.img

adb shell

su

dd if=/sdcard/aboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    Verify you got a good flash:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/abootTEST.img
    Now, check the MD5 of abootTEST.img BEFORE you turn your phone off. If it is wrong, reflash again until it is correct. It should be the same as the original aboot.img you already checked the MD5 of.

Also can be done via downloading the attachment, putting at root of /sdcard/ and doing these commands in terminal on a rooted device:

Code:
    su

dd if=/sdcard/aboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

Verify you got a good flash:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/abootTEST.img
    Now, check the MD5 of abootTEST.img BEFORE you turn your phone off. If it is wrong, reflash again until it is correct. It should be the same as the original aboot.img you already checked the MD5 of.

MD5 (aboot.img) = 0ba9ad45fc15cf3d62af7dd363686b3f
    Verizon, when the f*ck will you learn that you will never win? This is such good news!
    Since this is a bootloader image, I'd highly advise everyone to make sure they got a clean download by checking the MD5. It should be:

A98D7FD72E2FF67341C5E029B5A2E839
    Is anyone else interested in HOW it was cracked? I've been following the thread from the beginning and wished there was a better explanation of what the exploit was

Mine still says enable as well.

For those rooted with terminal emulator and who want to do this without linux or a mac here are some quick steps.

1) Download the original .jar offered in this post.
    2) Extract it and go into SCRIPTS directory
    3) Extract the Flash Secure Aboot.zip
    3) Copy the aboot.img to your phones Sdcard/Download directory
    4) Open Terminal Emulator on your phone, its free to download
    5) Type in: su, at this point it should ask for SuperUser access, allow it.
    6) Type in: dd if=/sdcard/Download/aboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    7) That's it!

Kudos to zepfloyd who posted that command on http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/15/unsecure-bootloader-can-now-be-flashed-to-verizons-galaxy-s3/, I just posted a quick tutorial.