[Q] G Pad for storing and processing RAW photos

Search This thread

foosion

Jun 17, 2012
I'm thinking of getting a G Pad so that I can copy RAW photos from my camera and do some basic photo viewing and processing. The tablet seems small enough to easily fit in my camera bag.

To do this, I need USB OTG (to copy files from the camera or a full size sd card) and sd card storage (for the storage capacity).

1) If I'm reading correctly, I can use a USB OTG cable with the G Pad to copy files either directly from a camera or from an sd card. This would be true with either stock or GPE.

2) If I'm reading correctly, there's no problem with reading and writing to an sd card with stock, but with GPE I'd have to root and fiddle with file permissions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tssystems.photomate2 seems like a usable Android RAW processor that should work on the LG.

Am I missing something?

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
I'm thinking of getting a G Pad so that I can copy RAW photos from my camera and do some basic photo viewing and processing. The tablet seems small enough to easily fit in my camera bag.

To do this, I need USB OTG (to copy files from the camera or a full size sd card) and sd card storage (for the storage capacity).

1) If I'm reading correctly, I can use a USB OTG cable with the G Pad to copy files either directly from a camera or from an sd card. This would be true with either stock or GPE.

2) If I'm reading correctly, there's no problem with reading and writing to an sd card with stock, but with GPE I'd have to root and fiddle with file permissions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tssystems.photomate2 seems like a usable Android RAW processor that should work on the LG.

Am I missing something?

No, that sounds about right. The gpe will be slightly faster, and if you do root, there is a kernel that also has adjusted the screen (has a yellowish/grey hue to it out of the box).

Rooting is easy using both devices, and the lg version should have a flashable kernel out to fix the screen very soon as well.

My wife has the samsung 10.1 2014 edition, and I like the gpad better in terms of speed, screen, and ease of use. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. The kindle app looks waaay better on the gpad. She also is a photographer, and while she isn't into editing her photo's, the jpegs look outstanding on the gpad. Very vibrant and in my opinion, more correct.

Samsung also came out with a 8.4 inch for 500 dollars that may fit your needs, but there's an extra three bills once you get the cover.

The fix for the sd card is the same dirty hack that Sumsung implements on their tablets so there will be no native difference there. Doing the adjustment is very easy. There is a thread about it on this forum, and others.

I wouldn't hesitate to get either device for your needs. Good luck!