Garmin GPS Unlocked on PPC - Complete Guide

Search This thread

tararura

Dec 2, 2007
New Westminster , BC
First of all I want to thank all the members on different forums, who posted suggestions and files. I just read read and read for 3 days trying to make it work on my TYTN II. I finally did it and wanted to combine all the info in one post so lots of other members can benefit from it.

So here we go, please follow all the steps carefully and slowly….
1. Get “Garmi Mobile XT V4PPC” from mininova.
2. Remove any previous garmin installations completely from your ppc.
3. Download A. GarminMobileXTforPocketPcwithGPS10_4100wBeta.exe
B. GarminMobileXTforWindowsMobile_41040w.exe
4. From pc install A to ppc and DO NOT install or run on ppc when a window appears to do so.
5. From pc install B to ppc and install and run when window appears on ppc. When program runs , it will start looking for gps device. Cancel it, go to Settings then to About and write down your 10 digit Device ID.
6. Run GarmiMobile XT V4PPC key generator on pc and put your device id and generate SW key and Map Key ( Garmin city navigator nt 2008 ).
7. Open note pad. Copy and past both keys one by one and save them as SW.UNL and GMAPSUPP.UNL.
This is a critical point. In your windows explorer uncheck HIDE FILE EXTENSIONS. NOW MAKE SURE THAT BOTH FILES DO NOT HAVE txt EXTENSION AT THE END. THEY HAVE TO BE UNL FILES.
8. Transfer these UNL files to your ppc in Garmin folder.
9. Now run Garmin from your ppc, it should be able to detect your GPS now. You do not have to be outside at this point.

Installing the Maps.
1. Download Garmin City Navigator North America NT 2008 from piratesbay. Install on your computer and run. It will ask for the unlock code, put GNG55-L8WSA-S7YET-9U246-GJFQT.
2. That should unlock the mapsource. Select your maps to be transferred, save it on desktop on pc.
3. Name newely made map file GMAPSUPP.IMG ( no txt extensions ).
4. Delete GMAPSUPP.UNL and GMAPBMAP.IMG from your ppc in Garmin directory and load new GMAPSUPP.IMG from your pc to ppc.
That’s it guys you should be able to use the maps now.
Thanks once again to all the kind souls out there who made it possible.

Last edited:

wjones

Nov 29, 2006
I cannot seem to find the file from mininova. Can someone contact me so that I can get it and host it for others?

coolcut

Sep 21, 2006
Toronto
IT WORKS! But I had to leave GMAPSUPP.UNL on my ppc or Garmin Mobile XT would say that it could not unlock the map. Thanks for the instructions Tararura!

BTW: Im using it on a hw6955.

n646464

May 7, 2007
Dubai
Can you post

Hey,

I would like to thank you, thats amazing i have been trying to make this work for a while. I do have a suggestion though why down you post the files all togther for everybody to have. including the instructions that you have provided.

I have tried to search for the files but i can not seem to find them.

Thanks again...

SamNC

Dec 10, 2007
Sorry about that. I didn't know that. You can probably delete this post.
thanks

He/she is a senior member of respect but he/she cannot delete the whole thread and only moderator has the power to do that. You may consider to delete the content of your #8 above so that nobody can understand your post #1. It will wither and die naturally!

SamNC

Dec 10, 2007
Garmin Vs TomTom Vs iGuidance

How do you compare them especially on accuracy of routing and maps? Had used a friend's iGuidance 4 on X51v with WM6 briefly, I like its easy to use and the Text to Speech function but routing accuracy was poor in a lot of places since version 1.1. I have used TT6 for over a year now, generally routing is acceptable though its not optimal routing all the time. Between the 2, I opted for routing accuracy and map accuracy.

I have never used Garmin before, so how is its routing and map status. How old or how update is Garmin map. I need more information before I shell out $140 for the Garmin map.

tararura

Dec 2, 2007
New Westminster , BC
HI there
I have TT and Garmin installed right now on TYTN II . I also used Mio/iGo on TYTN II. The best of all is Garmin. Its accuracy is the best. Graphics are not that great like TT. Garmin tells you if the destination is on Left or Right when you are close to reaching it. TT is not that accurate, once it told me that my address was still 2 blocks away when I already had reached it.
Another cool thing in Garmin is that once you set the addresses in Garmin for your Contacts. You can open contacts in your phone and then you have an option to route to it through Garmin.
Menus are simple in Garmin than TT. and Garmin has more POI like I could not find Tim Hortons in TT but Garmin was showing all of them.
Personally I like Garmin very much for its accuracy

SamNC

Dec 10, 2007
I like TT6 because of better routing accuracy not destination accuracy as it does not matter too much for me if I am a house or 2 away. I bought GPS navigation softwares starting from 2001, none was satisfactory and I found TT6 had slightly better routing (sometimes I got wrong routing from TT6 as well but comparatively less than other software I owned). I settle for TT6 as a compromise, it lacks of storage capacity for Favorites.

It seems that you are quite happy with Garmin. I will problly try Garmin.

_fm

Aug 13, 2007
Surabaya
i am using artemis, and i have copied sw.unl to garmin folder,.
when the device try to search, he try to search on my com port (com 4) but nothing happend, the satellite was not found (keep searching),.
any ideas???

thanks b4