YES!! The 3G hack by Motcher41 really freaking works! - blazing fast internet!

Search This thread

mykeyvee

Jun 21, 2010
does this work with stock romm, rooted, locked bootloader?! .and cdma. i’ve never even seen a SIM card in person. only pictures.... if so how do i do it

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using XDA

sorry I can't tell you for sure that it will work if your bootloader is not unlocked. I have my boot loader unlocked and a custom rom. rooted too of course. I am not a developer, but I would assume it would work, since you have access to the system files now. sorry I can't be of any more assistance.

sjamie

Aug 6, 2011
I can confirm it works on stock ROM. See first message of the thread for link to original post describing this hack to get instructions. Basically, just requires ability to edit sys/build.prop. I use Root Eplorer, myself.

Is this hack persistent on a stock ROM after reboots? What were your speeds before and after this hack?

halfevildruid

Feb 1, 2010
reactor core, usa
I can confirm speeds up to 1.2m to 2.2m on stock rooted after this hack. This in my area of normal speeds 300-800k. After reboot buildprop is automatically backed up and "rewrote" I am guessing and speeds were back to normal. After deleting both files and recopying my original build.prop again and changing values I was back up to 1.5 again.

There obviously is something on the phone or Sprints end detecting and fixing this. Wonder what is next for that?

After more playing around it must be in the phone. It seems to keep working with the file changes so I dont think Sprint is causing the (fix).

Last edited:

AGiLiT

Oct 28, 2010
Houston, TX
I can confirm speeds up to 1.2m to 2.2m on stock rooted after this hack. This in my area of normal speeds 300-800k. After reboot buildprop is automatically backed up and "rewrote" I am guessing and speeds were back to normal. After deleting both files and recopying my original build.prop again and changing values I was back up to 1.5 again.

There obviously is something on the phone or Sprints end detecting and fixing this. Wonder what is next for that?

After more playing around it must be in the phone. It seems to keep working with the file changes so I dont think Sprint is causing the (fix).

My results are similar in scale, if not in actual numbers. Speed seems to vary depending on where you live. In my case, typical speeds are piss-poor. The hack gives me about a four-fold increase in maximum download speeds and about a six-fold increase in upload. I'm running with the setting at 10.

BTW, another setting reputed to help with no hacking required is in Settings, Wireless & Networks, Mobile networks, Network Mode: set it to Automatic.

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN
I can confirm it works on stock ROM. See first message of the thread for link to original post describing this hack to get instructions. Basically, just requires ability to edit sys/build.prop. I use Root Eplorer, myself.

whats a good free version of root explorer? im really waiting til next check to get anything. where i just started back i dont get check til 2 tuesdays from now

AGiLiT

Oct 28, 2010
Houston, TX
whats a good free version of root explorer? im really waiting til next check to get anything. where i just started back i dont get check til 2 tuesdays from now

There's free app called 'build.prop editor' on the Market (excuse me; Google Play). Haven't tried it, but if that's all you want to do for now, check it out. I don't know if any of the free file managers have the capability of editing files in root folders.

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN
did it with es file explorer. .. not noticing any difference. how do you make it pick up stronger signal so its not bouncing between Verizon towers(perfect signal) and US cellular(1x but no bars)? my signal sucked before but now its slightly better working between 15kbps and 106.4kbps is Max I've seen... I'm in an area bouncing back and forth between roaming off Verizon towers and having no signal on us cellular towers

Last edited:

mykeyvee

Jun 21, 2010
actually I tried all 3, the first 1 did make my internet faster. the second 1 gave me no service, and I didn't notice anything different with the third one. maybe I screwed up the second and third? I just did a restore and it went back to normal and then I did mod one again. if you have any ideas as to what was wrong with the second 1 please give me some tips thanks! (you know, if it was my fault maybe)

mykeyvee

Jun 21, 2010

you know what, I'm sorry I forgot to post this.I had this same problem, but what I did, is... edit your build prop (save it), then hit the back button to get out of your system folder. then, go back into your system folder and you'll see a backup of that build prop. (automatically created). I am using e s file explorer. when I go back in there the backup has question marks across the front of the icon. what I do is a long press on it, when my window pops up I hit delete. then reboot. that was the only way I could stop it from going back to the old settings in the build prop. it made it's own back up, and remembered that for reboot the next time

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
actually I tried all 3, the first 1 did make my internet faster. the second 1 gave me no service, and I didn't notice anything different with the third one. maybe I screwed up the second and third? I just did a restore and it went back to normal and then I did mod one again. if you have any ideas as to what was wrong with the second 1 please give me some tips thanks! (you know, if it was my fault maybe)

You should only try mod 1 and 3 ,not mod2, that atrix file wouldnt work for your photon play around with the number on the third mod up or down see what works best for you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mykeyvee

mykeyvee

Jun 21, 2010
You should only try mod 1 and 3 ,not mod2, that atrix file wouldnt work for your photon play around with the number on the third mod up or down see what works best for you

Aahh, gotcha. that's why number 2 didn't work for me...=) I tried raising and lowering the number on mod 3 (quite a bit actually) and didn't see much difference. could there be something with the permissions not being set right?

dre89

Feb 3, 2010
DFW, TX
Amazon Fire
OnePlus 7 Pro

Odd, I did all 3 and everything seems fine on my device, can't say I saw to much of a improvement but there was some small boost to it. There's really not much difference between .56 and .76 mbps

sent from deep space on a random Photon

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
U may not see much of a difference if your being network optimized. Nothing can fix that its completely on the network end. If you go away from the area you use data the most you should see a nice increase from stock. Network optimization hurts you most when your on a tower you have used data on the most
My best results of an increase was shown at work (where i hardly used data) and at home late night when other users are asleep so I wasn't being a victim of network optimization.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so i tried this hack for the motorola photon 4g

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1466245

and it really freaking worked! Sprint has been so so terrible in our area for about a year now, and many complaints have done nothing. I used the hero, evo, evo 3d, evo again, now photon. the internet has always sucked. even with the evo 4G hack that somebody posted. so i did this process and my internet is crazy fast now! no need to look for wifi to upload or download a pic (or just internet in general).

ok so i followed the advice that i posted as a link, and the only problem was that there wasn't the line of code there that i was supposed to edit. so, i just simply added it in the "persist" section and BOOM!! internet was on fire!! these were my results:

Before...
    Download Upload
    614 175
    200 211
    218 243
    203 323
    282 134
    228 168
    486 487
    77 128

which was typical "top end" speeds i would get if i was lucky during the daytime.

After reboot...(you have to wait about 4 or 5 minutes for the settings to completely settle, i had 8 speed tests that were very similar to the above, then i saw this and shat myself)
    Download Upload
    2394 633
    2092 579
    2467 616
    1739 619
    2522 465
    1607 535
    2010 567
    1760 509
    1310 671

now ALL my apps are working like lightning fast!!!

i am on motorola photon, cyanogenmod 7.2

--->>>>> by the way to get a free root explorer app to edit, i used es file explorer.
    I just tried many different combinations, right now I'm at "5-1000"and it seems fast and more consistent. just an update.
    I think this is the same as what the motomizer app does, along with most unlocked roms already have these values. Nice find though for those that don't/didn't know :D

Sent from the back of a MoPhoKing Unicorn AOKP
    Did work 400 to 800 meg down 8 to 40 up. Only strange thing is voices mail asked if I had a new phone? And did I want sms voices mail. Just did # one changed the 1 to 10.

Thanks.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium
    ---------------

Update,

About two week after doing this, the mod was removed,
    along with my custom boot screen.
    I updated my PRL and Profile, but that's it.
    Who Knows??

Es file explorer.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA