3rd party cables

Search This thread

hero4eva

Mar 8, 2011
Anyone having problems with third party cables? Some cables won't charge the pixel 4 and when using on other smart phone, it works perfectly fine. Not sure if it's a restriction that google put in place but whatever the reason the cables are working fine with other manufacturers.

mimart7

Nov 30, 2011
NYC
Anyone having problems with third party cables? Some cables won't charge the pixel 4 and when using on other smart phone, it works perfectly fine. Not sure if it's a restriction that google put in place but whatever the reason the cables are working fine with other manufacturers.

I'm using Anker cables, and a generic cable to connect to both my work and home computers. I have no issues with charging, and copying files back and forth.

hero4eva

Mar 8, 2011
I'm using Anker cables, and a generic cable to connect to both my work and home computers. I have no issues with charging, and copying files back and forth.

I'm using cables from Baseus, Ugreen, Usam, Floveme and other Chinese brand. Some of those happens to work and some don't, not sure why. Just tried all those cable with the pixel 3 and they all work fine.

Last edited:

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland

farrokh19

May 8, 2013
Cables have to be Power Delivery (PD) compatible and not Quick Charge (Qualcomm).
It's not always clear what the standards are for cables and Anker sell both types. I always buy Anker and had to go through this recently.
These are the ones I choose Anker Powerline + C to C https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y25Y6WX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had similar spec in the past and these are reliable and tough cables!
I actually need a usb type-a to type-c cable to be used along with a powerbank like this one, so this powerline+ cable should be fine. Also, this configuration is not going to fast charge my pixel because of the absence of PD protocol, right? Which speed do you think I could achieve? Thank you

Last edited:

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I actually need a usb type-a to type-c cable to be used along with a powerbank like [https://www.anker.com/ca/products/variant/powercore--13400/A1315011]this one[/URL], so this powerline+ cable should be fine. Also, this configuration is not going to fast charge my pixel because of the absence of PD protocol, right? Which speed do you think I could achieve? Thank you
It'll probably be 5v/2.4a speed so 12w. I do this for overnight charging.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

m+a+r+k

Aug 29, 2013
Highlands, Scotland
I actually need a usb type-a to type-c cable to be used along with a powerbank like [https://www.anker.com/ca/products/variant/powercore--13400/A1315011]this one[/URL], so this powerline+ cable should be fine. Also, this configuration is not going to fast charge my pixel because of the absence of PD protocol, right? Which speed do you think I could achieve? Thank you

Cable doesn't look PD, note where it says in product description "Compatible Devices (limited charging speeds)" it includes Google products all of whom are PD.
Your line for Powerbank doesn't go anywhere useful but again Anker are very bad at describing their products tech specs accurately.
So 5W charging, slow but OK for overnight charging, not great if you're on the go.

farrokh19

May 8, 2013
It'll probably be 5v/2.4a speed so 12w. I do this for overnight charging.

Cable doesn't look PD, note where it says in product description "Compatible Devices (limited charging speeds)" it includes Google products all of whom are PD.
Your line for Powerbank doesn't go anywhere useful but again Anker are very bad at describing their products tech specs accurately.
So 5W charging, slow but OK for overnight charging, not great if you're on the go.

I hope you meant 5V, as the user above said. 12W are not that bad. By looking at the output of the original pixel 4 XL wall charger,it is stated as 3A at 5V or 2A at 9V. I suppose the last one is related to the PD protocol which increases the voltage to 9V in order to reach 18W (not sure here). If all I said is true, it should be able to receive 2.4A at 5V.
Could someone please confirm or confute that?

farrokh19

May 8, 2013
Just a quick update. I'm currently trying charging my pixel with the above-mentioned anker powercore and a usb-a to usb-c cable bought at a dollar store (working at up to 3A) and the current detected by the Ampere app is hovering around 1.5 A. Doing the math, it is just 7.5 w so rather disappointing. The system predicts a charging time of about 2h going from 15% to 100%.

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just a quick update. I'm currently trying charging my pixel with the above-mentioned anker powercore and a usb-a to usb-c cable bought at a dollar store (working at up to 3A) and the current detected by the Ampere app is hovering around 1.5 A. Doing the math, it is just 7.5 w so rather disappointing. The system predicts a charging time of about 2h going from 15% to 100%.

You should do actual charging times for measurement. Even if Ampere was accurate (It's not as accurate as something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT8MC3N/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_1St6DbZRKJP9W) the 7.5w wouldn't be consistent from 0-100%. For example, the stock charger consistently does 5-80% in 60 minutes. See how fast/slow it is compared to that.

farrokh19

May 8, 2013
You should do actual charging times for measurement. Even if Ampere was accurate (It's not as accurate as something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT8MC3N/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_1St6DbZRKJP9W) the 7.5w wouldn't be consistent from 0-100%. For example, the stock charger consistently does 5-80% in 60 minutes. See how fast/slow it is compared to that.

Next time I'll check the charging time. Anyway it went from 15% to 99% in about 2h and 15min.