279 posts
Thanks Meter: 88

By zevele, Inactive Recognized Developer on 5th November 2010, 11:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th April 2011, 08:41 AM |#111  
Question problem, won't stop blinking
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeitjeG

Great program. However it drains my battery. I know this can be expected of a program like this running in background (as a service), but I hope it can be solved...

I can confirm that when you don't use wm notifications it drains your battery (and still uses quite a lot of cpu every second)
when using wm notifications option no cpu load, so that's good.
however when I get a text using wm notifications I can't stop the blinking after reading the text.
so even if notification is cleared blinking does not stop, even if I stop and start the service again.
only reboot of phone clears it.
Any ideas?
we're getting there

10th April 2011, 01:30 PM |#112  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Alright, wil try that.
I had extreme low battery use since I set up the newest radio ROM some weeks ago.

Before using Blinker, it drained <1%/hr in standby. I could use my hd2 for more than 48 hours without charging and with normal use (2 times newsreading a day, texting, few calls, reading emails). With so low drain, a little extra drain is easily seen.

I uninstalled Blinker the day before yesterday, and I'm back to normal battery use now. I will install it again, and tick "use WM notifications", and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevele

That's odd, I didn't notice any effects on the battery life on my device... what device are you on? Did you change the default settings? Try checking the "Use WM notifications" this maybe improve somewhat the power consumption (not sure though...)

Z.

10th April 2011, 07:57 PM |#113  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

It's .Net CF 3.5

Thanks for the references I'll check them...

Blinker already does that except for the Phone call and Calendar reminders (check the first post)

That's exactly what Blinker does (check the second post).

Yes, that what I thought of doing...

Thanks for your suggestion, I could implement them, but it might take some time, as I do it on my free time...

Z.

For Calendar Reminders the reisters are in: HKLM\System\State\Reminder\Count\APPT\

In that register folder there are nodes that only become active when there is 1 or more. APPT is the regular calendar reminders. APPTALLDAY is for remidners for all day events. ALARMS is for the clock alarm. There are probably more but only learned them as they come along. When these are not 1 or more then they do not exist.

Thanks for trying. It would be a great enhancement to your program. I had read on the forums for Treo Alert that many people that upgraded their phones from the Treo were asking for this (like I am).

Take care,
Eli
10th April 2011, 08:41 PM |#114  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by p50kombi

I can confirm that when you don't use wm notifications it drains your battery (and still uses quite a lot of cpu every second)

When I check the CPU usage I see ~0.5% only when the leds blink (i.e. every 10secs - by default). There is a 1sec frequency but only for responsiveness - just handling any messages in the message queue, and checking if the 10sec period passed... How do you check the CPU usage? I'm using FdcSoft's Task Manager v3.3...

Quote:

however when I get a text using wm notifications I can't stop the blinking after reading the text.
so even if notification is cleared blinking does not stop,

I checked it now with missed-calls and new mail - there was no problem... (just pressed the "dismiss all button")

Quote:

even if I stop and start the service again.
only reboot of phone clears it.

Did you stop&start the service via the settings window? Just to check - the blinks stopped after you stopped the service, right?

Quote:

Any ideas?

Actually, the blinking problem is kinda weird - it sounds to me that the notification was not cleared (only after you rebooted the device). I don't think it's Blinker's fault - but I'm not sure it's not either... Let me know if this happens again...

Thanks,

Z.
10th April 2011, 08:53 PM |#115  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidler

For Calendar Reminders the reisters are in: HKLM\System\State\Reminder\Count\APPT\

In that register folder there are nodes that only become active when there is 1 or more. APPT is the regular calendar reminders. APPTALLDAY is for remidners for all day events. ALARMS is for the clock alarm. There are probably more but only learned them as they come along. When these are not 1 or more then they do not exist.

Thanks Eli,

I'll check that registry key tomorrow (when I'll have an active meeting notification... )

Currently I am using the keys under
[HKLM\System\State\Shell\Notifications]
for the notifications I use today. Each notification has a unique ID there when opened... and I've noticed that there is one for the appointments as well - so it's just a matter of Identifying the IDs of the notifications we wan't Blinker to react to...

Z.
11th April 2011, 10:26 AM |#116  
Red face
Quote:

When I check the CPU usage I see ~0.5% only when the leds blink (i.e. every 10secs - by default). There is a 1sec frequency but only for responsiveness - just handling any messages in the message queue, and checking if the 10sec period passed... How do you check the CPU usage? I'm using FdcSoft's Task Manager v3.3...

I checked it now with missed-calls and new mail - there was no problem... (just pressed the "dismiss all button")

Did you stop&start the service via the settings window? Just to check - the blinks stopped after you stopped the service, right?

Actually, the blinking problem is kinda weird - it sounds to me that the notification was not cleared (only after you rebooted the device). I don't think it's Blinker's fault - but I'm not sure it's not either... Let me know if this happens again...

Thanks,

Z.

I am using both FCD (Dotfred) and the hd2 built in task manager (use menu-view-processes to display blinker cpu usage)

I dismiss my notifications by just reading the text message which clears the notification in Manila and in therefore there is no dismiss all any more.
I have uninstalled this morning again as unfortunately Blinker just stops working when device goes to sleep mode (I think it just stops blinking when the device goes into unattended mode, the one beyond screen off so to speak.)

If this little gem keeps working, it'll be perfect.
For now I am back to aforementioned led notification (not the netripper one) as that works brilliant, except it does not allow you to blink keypad and it is therefore sometimes hard to see that you've got a notification.
11th April 2011, 07:54 PM |#117  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Today I tried again, and though less than the last time, my battery empties quicker than without Blinker. I set blink interval to 3 sec., which might be the cause.

I know we can't expect from this software to use no power at all. But right now it is still using too much for me. I only need the blinks for esthetic purposes anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeitjeG

Alright, wil try that.
I had extreme low battery use since I set up the newest radio ROM some weeks ago.

Before using Blinker, it drained <1%/hr in standby. I could use my hd2 for more than 48 hours without charging and with normal use (2 times newsreading a day, texting, few calls, reading emails). With so low drain, a little extra drain is easily seen.

I uninstalled Blinker the day before yesterday, and I'm back to normal battery use now. I will install it again, and tick "use WM notifications", and report back.

11th April 2011, 08:57 PM |#118  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I am using both FCD (Dotfred) and the hd2 built in task manager (use menu-view-processes to display blinker cpu usage)

I didn't see any unusual CPU usage also using the built-in one... maybe it's something to do the framework version?

Quote:

I dismiss my notifications by just reading the text message which clears the notification in Manila and in therefore there is no dismiss all any more.

when you write "text message" do you refer to SMS messages? does this occurs also with other notifications (missed calls, new emails)?
Quote:

I have uninstalled this morning again as unfortunately Blinker just stops working when device goes to sleep mode (I think it just stops blinking when the device goes into unattended mode, the one beyond screen off so to speak.)

This is the unattended mode problem - I haven't a clue how to solve it.

Quote:

For now I am back to aforementioned led notification (not the netripper one) as that works brilliant, except it does not allow you to blink keypad and it is therefore sometimes hard to see that you've got a notification.

I just recalled that this is the project I borrowed the code to control the LEDs from... I reviewed its code again and apparently htcjordi does nothing special to keep the application alive after the device goes into unattended mode... but, LedNotifications is written in c++ and Blinker is .Net CF 3.5 so maybe that's the difference...

Thanks,

Z.
11th April 2011, 10:11 PM |#119  
Quote:

I didn't see any unusual CPU usage also using the built-in one... maybe it's something to do the framework version?

when you write "text message" do you refer to SMS messages? does this occurs also with other notifications (missed calls, new emails)?

This is the unattended mode problem - I haven't a clue how to solve it.

I just recalled that this is the project I borrowed the code to control the LEDs from... I reviewed its code again and apparently htcjordi does nothing special to keep the application alive after the device goes into unattended mode... but, LedNotifications is written in c++ and Blinker is .Net CF 3.5 so maybe that's the difference...

Thanks,

Z.

yep... sms message.
I haven't noticed it with other notifications.
maybe it is the difference between c++ and netcf...

hope there unattended mode problem gets fixed.
any plans for c++ version?
12th April 2011, 04:59 AM |#120  
Mmm... desiccant

More
Quote:

...I just recalled that this is the project I borrowed the code to control the LEDs from... I reviewed its code again and apparently htcjordi does nothing special to keep the application alive after the device goes into unattended mode... but, LedNotifications is written in c++ and Blinker is .Net CF 3.5 so maybe that's the difference...

Just tried Blinker & got the same Unattended Mode issue. Very promising app, though, keep up the good work! Maybe take a look at ReRemind. Not sure what language it's written in, but the source code is available & it has no trouble with audio reminders and unattended mode. Actually, with them both running, Blinker comes back to life for a few minutes every time ReRemind plays it's notification sound.
14th April 2011, 10:55 AM |#121  
Flag Kaunas
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

hmmm.
shame, it still stops working as soon as my device goes into sleep mode.
I am running s2u2, could that be the source of my problems with blinker?

Yes,
I have the same thing with my Touch2 (Mega). Stops blinking after device goes to sleep.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
blink, charging, led, power, signal

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)