Frustrations with MMS on T-Mobile (ATT model, black)

Search This thread

Miguel_Lancaster

Jun 4, 2014
An hour ago this was going to be a totally different post.

I'm using an ATT branded, black HTC One. My SIM is for T-Mobile. Like many others, I'm experience issues with sending/receiving MMS. I had been using Android Revolution HD 71.1 and would be unable to send MMS. Strangely, though - my ability to send them seemed locations specific. At work it was no problem, at home it would fail every time.

Unless I disabled WiFi. With WiFi disabled, they seemed to send no problem, but with WiFi and Mobile Data simultaneously enabled it would return errors. Disabling WiFi while at home was an inelegant solution, so I tried downgrading to Android Revolution HD 30.6, which is Android 4.3 rather than 4.4.2. This seemed to have done the job. Until it no longer worked.

Same issue. Wifi disabled - fine. Wifi enabled - unable to send MMS. Everything else works fine, phone calls, mobile internet, etc.

This was meant to be a post advising others how to fix this problem. Instead I'm right back where I started.

This is very frustrating. Especially since I thought I had found a solution only for it to fail once again.

Last edited:

Fuzi0719

Jul 15, 2009
Palm Springs, CA

I'm using an ATT branded, black HTC One. My SIM is for T-Mobile. Like many others, I'm experience issues with sending/receiving MMS. I had been using Android Revolution HD 71.1 and would be unable to send MMS. Strangely, though - my ability to send them seemed locations specific. At work it was no problem, at home it would fail every time.

Unless I disabled WiFi. With WiFi disabled, they seemed to send no problem, but with WiFi and Mobile Data simultaneously enabled it would return errors. Disabling WiFi while at home was an inelegant solution, so I tried downgrading to Android Revolution HD 30.6, which is Android 4.3 rather than 4.4.2. This seemed to have done the job. Until it no longer worked.

Same issue. Wifi disabled - fine. Wifi enabled - unable to send MMS. Everything else works fine, phone calls, mobile internet, etc.

This was meant to be a post advising others how to fix this problem. Instead I'm right back where I started.

This is very frustrating. Especially since I thought I had found a solution only for it to fail once again.
When I was running the T-Mobile 4.4.2 with Sense 5.5 I had issues receiving MMS when connected to WiFi. They would always fail, I would have to disconnect from WiFi and then the MMS would automatically receive. But, since the update to the T-Mobile 4.4.2 Sense 6.0 OTA rom, all the MMS now work as normal whether I'm connected to WiFi or not.

I do know that the SMS app called ChompSMS has a specific T-Mobile setting that will temporarily switch from WiFi to cellular to send/receive MMS and back again. Maybe you can try that if you don't want to run the stock ROM.

Reactions: Miguel_Lancaster

Miguel_Lancaster

Jun 4, 2014
It had seemed when I first got the device up and running that everything was fine with MMS (that was using 4.4.2, Sense 6.0), but either after a certain number of messages, or while in certain areas I would have to turn off WiFi to be able to send MMS.

That's why I tried downgrading to 4.3 with the alternate version of Android Revolution HD (essentially a tweaked version of the stock HTC ROM). What I find odd about the two version of that ROM (30.6 vs. 71.1) is that the installer for one includes an model selection screen and the other treats them all alike. 30.6 allows me to choose between International, ATT/Developer, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.

Initially I chose ATT/Dev as that's the hardware model of my HTC One and wasn't keen to deal with a soft-brick. As stated in my first post, this seemed promising initially but shortly after ran into the same bug. I flashed one more time and tried using the 'T-Mobile' model selection during install. This has proven the most reliable method for me thus far. I suppose it would have to do with the radio being flashed between versions? It's curious to me that a similar option is not included in the other ROM version -- something I wanted to address in that ROM's development thread, but am prohibited from doing currently due to my post count.

Anyhow, 4.3 with Sense 5.5 seems to finally be working for now. Android 4.4.2 and Sense 6.0 did have some some aesthetic differences that I preferred, in addition to seeming marginally faster. I'll deal with an older version of the OS though if it means my phone functions properly.

Thank you both for your replies.

One thing that may be worth mentioning is that I've yet to enable Group MMS in my messenger settings this go-around. I suspect that its coincidental, but I'm reluctant to see what happens if I do enable it.

Maybe I'll try again with 4.4.2 in the future, but all this flashing, re-flashing, and settings tweaking becomes pretty tedious. In relation to that point: Does anyone have any experience with the built in HTC/Google app backup/sync. For some reason I've never really trusted any all-in-one solutions to be reliable, especially between ROMs or Android versions. Perhaps I should trust them more?

Last edited:

Miguel_Lancaster

Jun 4, 2014
P.S.

CID Getter app lists my CID as CWS_001 --

don't know why I never bothered checking that until now. Could changing it to TMO_001 be helpful at all or does it not matter?

Last edited:

Miguel_Lancaster

Jun 4, 2014
I broke MMS again, but this time I figured out how!

AdBlock Plus seems to be the culrpit.

As soon as I installed it MMS stopped working again. Unless WiFi gets turned off. Or ABP. If ABP is disabled everything works fine.

I did some research and it seems to be that ABP filters traffic on port 80, the same port that MMS send/receive.

I tried changing my APN settings for T-Mobile to operate through port 8080 as a workaround, but that didn't help. For now though, seems that AdBlock Plus is the perpetrator. I'm gonna try one more time with 4.4.2 and see if I can duplicate the same results.

Reactions: NxNW

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012

As soon as I installed it MMS stopped working again. Unless WiFi gets turned off. Or ABP. If ABP is disabled everything works fine.

I did some research and it seems to be that ABP filters traffic on port 80, the same port that MMS send/receive.

I tried changing my APN settings for T-Mobile to operate through port 8080 as a workaround, but that didn't help. For now though, seems that AdBlock Plus is the perpetrator. I'm gonna try one more time with 4.4.2 and see if I can duplicate the same results.

Hi Miguel, I can confirm that AdBlock Plus will prevent you to send and receive MMS. Looks like the app block traffic on the port used by MMS. I have personally experienced this issue, and disabling AdBlock Plus solved it. There is also a few thread here that discuss that issue (irc, I posted in those). This issue was also reported hundred of times on AdBlock Plus forum, not sure if there is any solution (except for disabling it): https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11755#p66133

edit:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2326679
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2335038
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301551

Last edited:

Miguel_Lancaster

Jun 4, 2014
Hi Miguel, I can confirm that AdBlock Plus will prevent you to send and receive MMS. Looks like the app block traffic on the port used by MMS. I have personally experienced this issue, and disabling AdBlock Plus solved it. There is also a few thread here that discuss that issue (irc, I posted in those). This issue was also reported hundred of times on AdBlock Plus forum, not sure if there is any solution (except for disabling it): https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11755#p66133

edit:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2326679
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2335038
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301551

Yup, it's a shame that such a well documented bug has gone unfixed.

Good to finally have figured out my problem, only took a few days of tinkering to finally narrow it down to ABP and be able to make a relevant search to back up my hunch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

When I was running the T-Mobile 4.4.2 with Sense 5.5 I had issues receiving MMS when connected to WiFi. They would always fail, I would have to disconnect from WiFi and then the MMS would automatically receive. But, since the update to the T-Mobile 4.4.2 Sense 6.0 OTA rom, all the MMS now work as normal whether I'm connected to WiFi or not.

I do know that the SMS app called ChompSMS has a specific T-Mobile setting that will temporarily switch from WiFi to cellular to send/receive MMS and back again. Maybe you can try that if you don't want to run the stock ROM.
    @Miguel_Lancaster
    Try upgrading to the latest tmous firmware. 5.14.531.1 ,might help. I will include the latest tmous radio and radio config. I have an att phone/sim, but i'm running gpe firmware and rom. I hope this helps.