[Mod] Ubuntu on Galaxy Tab 10.1!

Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
galaxy-tab-10.1-ubuntu-1.jpg

You can run Ubuntu on a rooted Galaxy Tab 10.1 and run a full Ubuntu desktop by connecting your bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

This is "chrooted" on top of your Android, meaning it runs like a virtual machine in the background, you can switch back and forth between Android and Ubuntu however you want.

When you turn your Tab 10.1 power off, you will have to restart Ubuntu though.

It's a bit laggy but not that much slower than my Atrix 4G webtop. I wouldn't use it for web browsing but the shell is very usable, you can install OpenSSH and other stuff you can play with.

Might be a fun mod for those of you running Ubuntu desktop already.

It runs pretty well on the Tegra I would say but the screen resolution is awesome!

My next goal is to put Wordpress blog running on the device, having trouble installing MySQL on the Ubuntu, if any Ubuntu experts out there, let me know if you figure out how to install MySQL, that's the only thing holding me back.

Can't wait until next year when 2Ghz dual-core tablets hit, then it will run really, really fast.

Here's a video preview:

Click HERE for Full Instructions and Download Files over at GalaxyTabHacks.com

I am gonna try to optimize it a bit over the next couple days and see if I can make it run faster/better.

And oh yeah, thanks to XDA user pershoot for his busybox!

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Cool Im going to check it out! Proably tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Kyle005

Jun 21, 2011
It works, but do u know if there is a way to get the correct resolution so that the HC menu bar doesn't interrupt Ubuntu?

EDIT: Also, is there a way to shut it down other than rebooting the tablet?

Last edited:

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
I think if you set 1280x800 to something like 1280x760 that might fix it, the problem is that the Android status bar takes up 40-50 pixels at the bottom, I will try that and let you know.

devlp1213

Jun 24, 2010
I haven't tried this yet but video looks great and you were saying it runs on top of android so does android eat up some ram/cpu? if so think it would be possible just boot it as an os instead of like a vm for better performance? I'm not a programming expert by any means (still in college :p) but just a thought

Sent from my SCH-I500

smaskell

Jan 31, 2010
San Francisco
Just downloading this now. Quick note though, the resolution should be 1280x752 because the action bar.

Edit: I should not have done this in windows.. copying everything over is so slow. I have a linux box sitting right here so I don't know why I didn't use that. I'm an idiot

Last edited:

Sandule

Jun 10, 2010
I would love to know if this would be possible to do with XBMC or Openelec. I would love my 10.1 to double as a media center pc. Since XBMC is based on Ubuntu would this be a possibility?

a-money

Dec 28, 2008
I would love to know if this would be possible to do with XBMC or Openelec. I would love my 10.1 to double as a media center pc. Since XBMC is based on Ubuntu would this be a possibility?

xbmc isnt based on ubuntu, originally it was an xbox app that transformed into something greater

i think ill try this out if you can get the latest verison of ubuntu to work on the tab. amazing work so far looks awesome

smaskell

Jan 31, 2010
San Francisco
I loaded up my natty image and it seems to work. However, I'm having trouble with text entry. It defaults to LXDE so that might have something to do with it.. anyone know how I can change it back to gnome or unity? normally, you can choose which environment you want at the login screen but I can't log out so that's not going to work.

also, has anyone else noticed that, when rebooting the tablet, the startup sound plays 5-10 seconds later after installing ubuntu?

Kitinas

Aug 24, 2009
Ha, this is awesome. I do have an issue with it though, it doesn't seem to want to start a second time.

I rebooted the tablet/ubuntu to apply the keyboard fix at the end of the article, but now I can't connect with the VNC. I get the proper responses through ADB/command prompt, but my VNC viewer fails to connect, giving a connection refused error.

Edit:
Nevermind, we're all good. Something wasn't clearing properly on shutdown. It's taken care of.

Last edited:

msm903

Jul 28, 2007
How do I uninstall this? Do i just delete it from the Sdcard or is there another step that's required?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    galaxy-tab-10.1-ubuntu-1.jpg

You can run Ubuntu on a rooted Galaxy Tab 10.1 and run a full Ubuntu desktop by connecting your bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

This is "chrooted" on top of your Android, meaning it runs like a virtual machine in the background, you can switch back and forth between Android and Ubuntu however you want.

When you turn your Tab 10.1 power off, you will have to restart Ubuntu though.

It's a bit laggy but not that much slower than my Atrix 4G webtop. I wouldn't use it for web browsing but the shell is very usable, you can install OpenSSH and other stuff you can play with.

Might be a fun mod for those of you running Ubuntu desktop already.

It runs pretty well on the Tegra I would say but the screen resolution is awesome!

My next goal is to put Wordpress blog running on the device, having trouble installing MySQL on the Ubuntu, if any Ubuntu experts out there, let me know if you figure out how to install MySQL, that's the only thing holding me back.

Can't wait until next year when 2Ghz dual-core tablets hit, then it will run really, really fast.

Here's a video preview:

Click HERE for Full Instructions and Download Files over at GalaxyTabHacks.com

I am gonna try to optimize it a bit over the next couple days and see if I can make it run faster/better.

And oh yeah, thanks to XDA user pershoot for his busybox!