[HOW TO] Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

Search This thread

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
[ROOT][HOW TO] Install Google Play Noob Version - Reinstall After 10.2.6 Update

Hi,

First of all i would like to congratulate you on an awesome website and assistance with everything.

I have rooted my kindle fire 2 now for a week or so following your Noob guides. I have installed Google play, flash, disabled OTA, GO Launcher EX, basically all the noob guides apart from Google apps with speech recognition.

So far fantastic and enjoying using my kindle fire as a proper tablet once again thanks to you guys especially prokennexusa.

Yesterday i installed some games from the Amazon store (free). When i switched the kindle on the next time it did an upgrade now it does not have the Go Launcher, Google play has stopped working, it shows the icon but when selecting it flashes and then does not open anything.

I have tried using Root Check Basic which confirms my suspicions that whatever the upgrade did it removed the root. I assumed when i followed the OTA guide it would disable any updates? My question is now will i need to follow the root guide again from the beginning or what would you advise i do now? How can i stop the update from happening again? (or shall i stay away from the Amazon store for apps/games to download as this is what i believe caused the problem.

Thank You once again and for your response in advance

modmyphone,

Wow, thank you for the positive feedback, we are honored to have this medium to post our tutorials and general thoughts - if you ever require training or more detailed support please give us a call.

I guess you did not apply this script?

OK, so Google Play Store crashes after the 10.2.6 Amazon OTA update, correct? First, before we recommend what to do to fix the problem, be sure to apply the OTA Script after you get everything the way you like: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086450 - we were very careful to only disable OTA. Having said this, nothing else is effected, so after you apply the patch you Kindle you will notice the Kindle runs faster and has increased battery time.

Hmmm, I am a bit suspicious regarding Root, so let's do a manual inspection. Please open up Root Explorer or ES File Explorer and navigate to /system/app/ do you see Superuser.apk? Good, let check it's partner in /system/xbin/ do you see su? If yes, Root Checker Basic is telling you the truth. If not, you know, go here to Root the Kindle Fire 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117. OK, we have gotten this out of the way, next we need to fix Google Play Store. Since I am sure Amazon removed the Dependant services, let's replace the Network Services:

Play Step 1 Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk to your Desktop

Play Step 2 Using Windows Explorer move GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk from your desktop to /Kindle Drive/Download.

Play Step 3 Using ES File Explorer app, open ES File Explorer on your Kindle. Go to the Setting Menu on ES File Explorer. Choose Root Settings, Select all the options here. A Superuser window will Popup, be sure to click "Allow".

Play Step 4 Now on the Kindle Fire HD use ES File Explorer to move GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk from /sdcard/Download to /system/app. If there are old versions just over-right the old applications found.

Play Step 5 Next change the permissions on GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk by long pressing each apk until you see an option window. Select Permissions and change all 3 apk permissions to Owner: Read-Write, Group: Read and Others: Read.

Play Step 6 Install all 3 apk's: GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk by clicking on each on and choose Install. Ignore any install errors.

Play Step 7 Reboot the Kindle

After step 7, you are now back at your desktop. Let's try Google Play to see if the program (apk) is damaged. Go ahead and launch Google Play which you will find in /Apps - be sure you are on the Device and not the Cloud. Does Google Play launch? No, let's try to Reset the App. Let's have you pull down the upper status bar, select More+, next find Applications and next Installed Applications. Scroll down to Google - go ahead and click on all the Google Services, there may be up to 5 services total. Clear the Data on all services. Reboot. Try Google Play Store again, does it work? No, let's fix the rest of Google Play Store here:

Play Step 8 Download Vending.apk to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 9 Using ES File Explorer app on the Fire. Move Vending.apk from /sdcard/Download to /system/app. If you find an old copy of Vending.apk, just over-right the old file. Next Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, change permissions set to Owner: Read-Write, Group: Read and Others: Read.

Play Step 10 Install Vending.apk

Play Step 11 Google Play should show up in your Kindle Fire HD Apps. Tap on it and follow the steps with sign-in and agreeing to the terms. This is an OLD Market so move on to Step 12

Play Step 12 Download Gplay3.8.17.apk to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 13 Using ES File Explorer, go to /sdcard/Gplay3.8.17.apk select Gplay3.8.17.apk choose Install. This will upgrade the the android market to version 3.8.17 Google Play market.

Play Step 14 Download Phonesky.apk to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 15 Using ES File Explorer, go to /sdcard/Phonesky.apk select Phonesky.apk choose Install. This will upgrade the the android market to version 3.10.10 Google Play market.

Play Step 16 Reboot the Kindle Fire.

So how about now, does Google Play Store Launch now? If no I will begin to growl:p

Please respond either way so we know if we solved your issue.

Reactions: Kindle2

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Gilly10,

So, how did the script go on your Kindle? Was it easy to deploy?

Yeah easy to deploy, no real errors, just didn't know if deleting the script afterwards rendered it ineffective, does it run in the background every now & then or does it need to be ran only once or every reboot?

I'm back on 7.2.3 now & have the script still on the device (I didn't delete it after running it this time).

Kindle2

Jan 27, 2013
Reinstall After 10.2.6 Update

Thank You Chris for your assistance and swift response.

I have followed your advice and it looked like the root had been removed (superuser.apk) missing and root access was saying it’s not rooted. I have had to go through the root install guide again, Amazon update disable script, then the Google play full install guide and then finally the go launcher guide to finish as this was also removed.

I have definitely followed the Amazon OTA disable guide once again, is there a way to make it definitely won’t update again and undo all the hard work?

Thank You once again and i hope this can help anyone else that has had this update and undid the rooting and stopped Google play from working.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

Yeah easy to deploy, no real errors, just didn't know if deleting the script afterwards rendered it ineffective, does it run in the background every now & then or does it need to be ran only once or every reboot?

I'm back on 7.2.3 now & have the script still on the device (I didn't delete it after running it this time).

Gilly10,

Sounds like you have everything under control. Thank you for posting an update, we were wondering if you saw our post to you. Take care, have a great night.:good:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

I have followed your advice and it looked like the root had been removed (superuser.apk) missing and root access was saying it’s not rooted. I have had to go through the root install guide again, Amazon update disable script, then the Google play full install guide and then finally the go launcher guide to finish as this was also removed.

I have definitely followed the Amazon OTA disable guide once again, is there a way to make it definitely won’t update again and undo all the hard work?

Thank You once again and i hope this can help anyone else that has had this update and undid the rooting and stopped Google play from working.

Kindle2,

Do you have a Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Fire HD 8.9" or a Kindle Fire 2? There appears to be a new service on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" that we need to add to the script. Before we add the update, please advise us on the Kindle you own. Also, what is your current software version? Is it 8.2.4?

We may need to get more aggressive on the script.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob - Updated Script at 8pm PST

Kindle2,

I am sorry, I just noticed your subject line, you have a Kindle Fire 2 with 10.2.6, we are updating the script now and will post a more aggressive copy before the end of the day, this copy will disable more items but will completely cost all the back doors. Many people may ask, why did you not post the aggressive one to begin with? The reason is simple, it effects Whispersync, this version does not effect this service.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

To All -

The script was updated 01-30-2013 to include some additional back door services that Amazon used to deploy the Kindle Fire 2 10.2.6 update.

Please run the script again to disable these new services. This applies to All Kindles.

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
To All -

The script was updated 01-30-2013 to include some additional back door services that Amazon used to deploy the Kindle Fire 2 10.2.6 update.

Please run the script again to disable these new services. This applies to All Kindles.

Thanks, great work ;)

BTW is this what the enable.ota.sh script should look like I noticed you didn't upload a revised version yet?

#!Requires Titanium Backup#!/system/bin/sh
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAUpdateMessageHandler"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.InventoryUploadService"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.UpdatesLookupService"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.AppStateMonitorService"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.CheckForOTAUpdatesService"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.ViewUpdateActivity"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAStatusActivity"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.ResetOTAMessageHandler"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.InventoryUploadService$InventoryUploadReceiver"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.UpdatesLookupService$MountStatusChangedReceiver"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTAWakeupReceiver"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTADedupeReceiver"
pm enable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTAInstallNowReceiver"

Note: The spaces in the 4th & 5th off last "Receiver" text is due to forum formatting.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version - Enable-ota

Thanks, great work ;)

BTW is this what the enable.ota.sh script should look like I noticed you didn't upload a revised version yet?

Note: The spaces in the 4th & 5th off last "Receiver" text is due to forum formatting.

Gilly10,

We uploaded it this morning, so if you download the latest copy, you will see the updates.

Thank you for advising us of the problem, it appears our Dropbox server did not refresh properly so we changed the method used to upload the new script. Please try again and let us know if you finally see the enable-ota.sh - thank you for being an active participant in our threads.

Slimepuppy

Jan 6, 2013
San Antonio
Just Got OTA Updated!

Hey Chris,

My Fire HD 8.9 just got 'hit' by Amazon - and I used the currently available disable-ota.sh yesterday evening after rooting and installing Google Apps.

This 'spy vs. spy' thing is going to be fun, isn't it? :eek:

All righty then...back to rooting, then GApps, then disable OTA...again...

Crud...

---
edit...

You have GOT to be kidding me!

I just completed another root, wiped the cache/user files, and ran the latest to disable the OTA updates. I rebooted to push the Google apps to the device and it rebooted itself and did ANOTHER OTA update. Back with V8.1.4_user_1413620 and no root access. :crying:

Nexus 10 is looking better this morning...but maybe it's the crossed eyes and lack of caffeine.

Last edited:

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012

I just completed another root, wiped the cache/user files, and ran the latest to disable the OTA updates. I rebooted to push the Google apps to the device and it rebooted itself and did ANOTHER OTA update. Back with V8.1.4_user_1413620 and no root access. :crying:

Nexus 10 is looking better this morning...but maybe it's the crossed eyes and lack of caffeine.

Same happened with me although I was downgrading my KFHD 7", got it all set up & BAM! I was hit with an update, did it a second time though & it never seemed to updated, maybe it was user error first time round anyway I'm back on the latest version now, missed a few of the new features, just hope the new script works.

m4rk4

Aug 20, 2009
@prokennexusa

Why the requirement for Titanium Backup? The script only seems to use the android the pm (package manager) command.

persano

Nov 25, 2012
Buenos Aires
Same happened with me although I was downgrading my KFHD 7", got it all set up & BAM! I was hit with an update, did it a second time though & it never seemed to updated, maybe it was user error first time round anyway I'm back on the latest version now, missed a few of the new features, just hope the new script works.

before doing it amazon update was downloading i thinks, that why when i restore my device i put it in aircraft mode when it boot

Krsmqn

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 5
Chris, here is a picture of the smanager.

*Edit* My bad ( Noted in the post below )

As always, thanks.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359778835398.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359778835398.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
To All-

We are getting a number of people asking about the Amazon Update service. The question is: "Does this script disable other

applications from Updating?" The answer is: "No, the scirpt only disables OTA. The following Updates are NOT disabled:

1. Google Play Update for all purchased applications: Enabled
2. Google Play Application Update: Enabled
3. Amazon App Store: Enabled
4. Amazon Download Service: Enabled
5. Whispersync: Enabled
6. Music Automatic Download Service: Enabled
7. Silk Cache Service: Enabled
8. Video Download Service and Update: Enabled

We hope this clarifies the script functions.

You might want to add this information to the OP (original post). I saw where you said you were going to, but it's not there FYI.

Also, do you know anything about Amazon GameCircle syncing and how that might be affected, if at all? I believe it just uses Whispersync which should still be enabled according to the above, but on moving from my Kindle Fire (1st Gen) over to my Fire HD 8.9, I found that my progress for Monster Park didn't move over with me even though it uses the GameCircle service.

I suppose I could try re-enabling all this OTA stuff and see what happens, but I thought I'd see if you knew anything before I started playing around like that.

ETA - actually per posts later in this thread, and the 1-30 update, it looks like perhaps Whispersync may be affected. :( Note this is NOT an option for me since I read my ebooks across multiple devices and need Whispersync to keep my place.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version >

Hey Chris,

My Fire HD 8.9 just got 'hit' by Amazon - and I used the currently available disable-ota.sh yesterday evening after rooting and installing Google Apps.

This 'spy vs. spy' thing is going to be fun, isn't it? :eek:

All righty then...back to rooting, then GApps, then disable OTA...again...

Crud...

---
edit...

Slimepuppy,

I am going to add this to the script - to wipe the Kinldeupdate folder prior to the patch. You are correct, this is a real cat and mouse game.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

Gilly10,

We are watching closely - we need to add a flush the Kindleupdate folder to our script next.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this Noob Series, we will explore how to disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates. This small script
    was written by our development staff. Our staff was very careful to disable all the OTA Services that Amazon can use to deploy updates. We have the script notes at the bottom for people interested in what actually is shut down. You may easily revert back and enable all services if desired, just download and execute the attached.

SCRIPT WAS UPDATED 01-29-2013 TO BLOCK NEW SERVICES

Prerequisites:

1. Rooted Kindle Fire HD 7" 8.9" or Fire 2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36375244

2. Kindle Fire First Aide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Preferred Method (Automatic Method):

Disable OTA Step 1: Download Kindle Fire First Aide: Windows 32-bit Version Or Windows 64-bit Version

Disable OTA Step 2: Extract KFFirstAide.zip to C:\KFFirstAide - please remove the 32 or 64 at the end of the folder created by Winzip or 7-Zip

Disable OTA Step 3: With your mouse, open the C:\KFFirstAide contents by double mouse clicking the C:\KFFirstAide folder

Disable OTA Step 4: Find the RunMe.bat file. Right Hand Mouse click on RunMe.bat, select 'Send to', select Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now press the Left Hand Mouse button to create the Shortcut named RunMe.bat.

Disable OTA Step 5: Find the RunMe Shortcut on your desktop, select it by left mouse click over the icon, then while on the icon choose Right Hand mouse click, select Properties.

Disable OTA Step 6: This will display the RunMe properties. Select the General Tab, change the top name to KF First Aide. Then click on the Shortcut tab, click on Advanced. Check 'Run as Administrator', click OK, then click Apply, then click OK. All windows should be closed.

Disable OTA Step 7: Double Mouse Click the new Icon named KF First Aide. You may be presented with a security window, just click Yes.

Disable OTA Step 8: Please click on the Windows Key plus Pause/Break, this will display the Windows System Properties. Next Click on the Advanced Tab and find "Environment Variables". Please click on Environment Variables and find the Path Statement. Carefully add at the end of the Path Statement:

Code:
    ;C:\KFFirstAide
    Note: Do Not forget the semi-colen before the C:\KFFirstAide
    Disable OTA Step 9: That is it! The software is ready. Next we get the Kindle ready to disable OTA.

Disable OTA Step 10: Please check the Kindle under More + > Security - make sure ADB is ON. Leave it disconnected from USB.

Disable OTA Step 11: Launch Kindle Fire First Aide, if the ADB Driver is not installed, use Option 12 to Install the ADB Driver

Disable OTA Step 12: Make sure the Kindle is turned ON, plugged into the Computer USB and ready. Select Option 14 to Disable OTA.

Disable OTA Step 13: That is it! OTA is now disabled, you may close the software.

You may view the Kindle Fire First Aide Forum Notes here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Alternative Method (Manual Method):

Disable OTA Step 1: Download the Disable OTA Script File: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/disable-ota.zip OR http://ubuntuone.com/7EOyYTaRqPOdP6dayeKYfy by downloading disable-ota.zip to your desktop.

Disable OTA Step 2: Download and Install Script Manager: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/scriptmanager.zip OR http://ubuntuone.com/1wBb3bXAtQv1DnMjPhQY5m

Disable OTA Step 3: Using either Windows Zip or 7-Zip, unzip both scriptmanager.zip and disable-ota.zip to your desktop as scriptmanager.apk and disable-ota.sh

Disable OTA Step 4: Using Windows Explorer, move or copy scriptmanager.apk and disable-ota.sh to /Kindle Drive/Internal Drive/Download

Disable OTA Step 5: Next go into /Apps Open either Root Explorer or ES File Explorer with Root Permissions enabled.

Disable OTA Step 6: Using either ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, Install Script Manager scriptmanager.apk (S Manager)

Disable OTA Step 7: Close ES File Explorer or Root Explorer

Disable OTA Step 8: Stay in /Apps. Open S Manager, Allow the Superuser request, keep S Manager open.

Disable OTA Step 9: Using S Manager, navigate to /mnt/sdcard/Download by clicking on sdcard, then click
    on Download. The Script Manager(S Manager) usually open to /mnt/sdcard. Just look at the very top of S
    Manager to see the current S Manager file system location.

Disable OTA Step 10: Using S Manager, select the Script file disable-ota.sh by clicking on disable-ota.sh

Disable OTA Step 11: Next in S Manager select the top options Su and choose Run. The script will now Run,
    ignore any errors.

Disable OTA Step 12: You may now exit S Manager by clicking the Back <- Arrow until S Manager closes.

Disable OTA Step 13: You have now shutdown the services that run the OTA Updates. You have also improved
    your battery Run-time since you shutdown unnecessary services.

Disable OTA Step 14: Reboot the Kindle.

Notes on the Script disable-ota.sh: The following outlines the script and how it works. We have carefully written
    the script to only shutdown OTA, no other services are disabled. Here is the exact services we shutdown:

1. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAUpdateMessageHandler" - This is a Messaging Service that sends and receives
    data from OTA. This is similar to a Phone allowing OTA to communicate to the Kindle and the Kindle communicate to
    OTA.

2. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService" - This is the actual base OTA Service that routes the communication
    and starts the actual update when the update has been downloaded.

3. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.CheckForOTAUpdatesService" - This is the service that checks the OTA file library
    to see what updates are available. It is also what detects the current software version.

4. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAStatusActivity" - This is the service that checks the update status - Installing,
    Rebooting, Completed, etc.

5. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.ResetOTAMessageHandler" - This is the service that restarts the Kindle when the
    update is completed.

6. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTAWakeupReceiver" - This wakes the Kindle from Sleep Mode allowing
    the update to download when you are not using the device.

7. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTADedupeReceiver" - This is the service that checks the validity of
    the download through OTA Certificate Files. If the file doe not pass a signal is sent to the Messaging Service to
    restart the download and delete the current download file. This does have a timeout signal so it is not caught in
    a loop.

8. Disable "com.amazon.dcp/.ota.OTAService$OTAInstallNowReceiver" - This is the service that starts the actual
    update install.

If this was helpful and you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
    http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=4435645
    Amazon Update Service Still Operational

To All-

We are getting a number of people asking about the Amazon Update service. The question is: "Does this script disable other

applications from Updating?" The answer is: "No, the scirpt only disables OTA. The following Updates are NOT disabled:

1. Google Play Update for all purchased applications: Enabled
    2. Google Play Application Update: Enabled
    3. Amazon App Store: Enabled
    4. Amazon Download Service: Enabled
    5. Whispersync: Enabled
    6. Music Automatic Download Service: Enabled
    7. Silk Cache Service: Enabled
    8. Video Download Service and Update: Enabled

We hope this clarifies the script functions.
    Follow Up - Feedback

The Noob series is good even for us old vets who have been on XDA almost 4 weeks, now.

Belasco,

We have been in the computer industry since 1982 and whenever I need to do something for

myself, I always look to the simple version with details. This is what triggered us to start

the Noob Series! Thank you for following our series.
    Question - Where do you find Apps

I'm sorry but im feeling noobier than a noob right now but what do you mean by "/apps"? Are you pertaining to the app drawer or are you in fact talking about in the file manager /system/app? Again very sorry but im not used to doing this as opposed to just flashing a custom rom and checking and unchecking options in the settings.

th3lawmak3r76,

No worries, we are here to answer questions. This is a good question and since you are used to

custom ROM's it makes sense why you ask. In the original version of the Kindle Fire HD Launcher

the "Apps" tab is where you will find all your Applications. So in the custom Launchers it would

be called the the primary "App Drawer". Does this help?
    Can't change Kindle name

It turns out that disabling OTA updates with this method does disable at least one piece of functionality: the ability to change the Kindle's name that appears in the status bar. It turns out that those update messages get sent in the same queue as OTA updates.