[How To] Check MD5 sums

Search This thread

nmyeti

Jun 25, 2010
I've seen a large number of posts in the various ROM/Radio threads that indicate to me that many of our users do not know how to check MD5 sums. I wrote this post in the BAMF sense 3.0 thread, but it will be buried there in a matter of minutes. Moderators, i understand this isn't strictly thunderbolt development related, but given the number of questions about this in this forum, I thought this might be appropriate, if you disagree, please move.

On windows use

http://download.cnet.com/MD5-Checker/3000-2092_4-10410639.html

Unzip and launch md5.exe

Copy the MD5 hash sum of the rom you downloaded to your clipboard
md5copy.PNG

Hit the paste button in the MD5.exe program
md5paste.PNG

Browse to the file you downloaded
md5nomatch.PNG

If the codes match the box goes green and the text tells you that the codes match.

On Linux;
cd Downloads (assuming Downloads is the path of the file)
md5sum BAMFROMYOUJUSTDOWNLOADED.zip

Check the output of the md5sum command against the has posted in the thread. Also note that the md5sum command on Linux doesn't like special characters such as () / or anything in the rom name. You can rename a file without changing the MD5 hash, so keep this in mind.

A

ad0131065

Just figured I would mention that if you are doing it on your device you can download hash Droid from the market and do it that way also

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

dhemke17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2010
I've seen a large number of posts in the various ROM/Radio threads that indicate to me that many of our users do not know how to check MD5 sums. I wrote this post in the BAMF sense 3.0 thread, but it will be buried there in a matter of minutes. Moderators, i understand this isn't strictly thunderbolt development related, but given the number of questions about this in this forum, I thought this might be appropriate, if you disagree, please move.

On windows use

Unzip and launch md5.exe

If the codes match the box goes green and the text tells you that the codes match.

On Linux;

Check the output of the md5sum command against the has posted in the thread. Also note that the md5sum command on Linux doesn't like special characters such as () / or anything in the rom name. You can rename a file without changing the MD5 hash, so keep this in mind.

On a mac, from the home directory in terminal, you can just type

md5 [drag-and-drop the zip file you downloaded] and hit enter. It will give you your md5sum

major_works

Mar 27, 2011
The previous two posts mentioned AFV and Astro. I had been using AFV with good success. Recently I learned of Astro's ability to extract the MD5 sum in the manner lrs421 mentions. That's the way I've been approaching it of late.

I've not been doing this rooting/flashing thing for long and have yet to have a download come up bad, but when one does, I want to know before I screw up my Bolt with it. So checking MD5 sums is, for me, an essential step.

Thanks to the OP for a good tutorial thread!

Jc8206

Apr 2, 2011
I've flashed so many roms my buttons are wearing out, and I have never once checked an md5....

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
step 1: get linux, cuz windows sucks

step 2: open a terminal

step 3: type

md5sum (file name) (path to file name) or just drag in the zip to the terminal

step 4: hit enter

theres the md5sum

Reactions: deviluper

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
I've always used FSUM via command line in windows. (just make sure its EXE is in a folder that is part of the windows path (like put the FSUM.EXE in c:\windows)...

When I open a command prompt, I change to the directory with my downloaded file and type FSUM fileyoujustdownloaded.zip and compare the MD5 it generates with what was posted with the download link.

but the util in the OP looks nice and easy.

hadi_xman

Jul 9, 2011
Karachi
After reading it i m confused about the first point.. that what md5 sums i have to copy in the clipboard.. please elaborate..

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

On windows use

Unzip and launch md5.exe

md5copy.PNG

md5paste.PNG

md5nomatch.PNG

On Linux;

On windows use

Unzip and launch md5.exe

On Linux;

On a mac, from the home directory in terminal, you can just type

md5 [drag-and-drop the zip file you downloaded] and hit enter. It will give you your md5sum
    For my windows computer, I use HashTabs. Puts a tab under properties for the checksums. No opening up an extra prog. :highfive:
    Also AFV in the market Android File Verifier works like a charm!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Great guide OP :), you're right, this one comes up a lot.

I personally use astro file manager. Navigate to the file, long press and select "Details". Give it a few seconds and it will give you the MD5 checksum :).