Review: Sony sth 30

Search This thread

infinitylook

May 26, 2013
Got my Sony STH 30 from eBay from this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/351080069901?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Here is my quick review. I will be comparing these Apple Earpods since I own both. Remember this is just my own opinion and my preference.
First, design is like the other headset from Sony where the other ear wire is longer which is supposed to be run at the back of your neck. I like this style of placement than the earpods of Apple and other manufacturers. Whenever I remove them from my ears, I can just let them hang without falling off.

Design and Build: The quality of wire used in the headset is not that good. For me, it feels like it can easily snap anytime, especially the ones that run from the ears. They are thin and prone to strangling. Unlike the Apple Earpods where the wire is thick and retains it's shape (like for example, if I fold the Sony it has the tendency to stick into that form even after untying it so I need to straighten it up). For the design, Sony's design is nice, it's sharp on the edges and modern in looks. I prefer the looks of Apple earpods though because it's simple and nice but I love the aluminum part of the STH 30. The call key and ear cap design on the Sony STH 30 are made from aluminum (maybe brushed metal) and is really elegant. Controls are okay, but not as tactile as Apple Earpods. You will get used to it though but I hope they made it tactile. The volume controls are rubberize which adds the difficulty of pressing them.

Comfort: Both are comfortable to wear. No issues in here.

Bass, Treble and Volume Output: The bass of the Sony STH 30 is really nice, it's a bit better than the earpods from Apple. Both headsets are clear but I guess Sony wins here. The volume is pretty low though. Unlike the earpods where setting the music volume even to 50 percent is already sufficient for me to clearly hear the music but for the Sony STH 30 I need to set it up to 90 percent or higher. I guess the reason for this is the waterproof membrane that cause loudness to be somewhat low just like on their Xperia Z series. Overall, I love the Apple Earpods here because of the volume.

Mic: Very clear. Tried calling someone with the headset and she said I came in clear (I was near a band performance that time). I guess this is excellent. Apple earpods wasn't really good for calling when I used it on my iPhone more so on my Z1C now.

Price: I got this from eBay for 37 USD. Now, I wouldn't recommend really buying from eBay if you can find one in your local store but in my case, I need to get it from online since this isn't available in my country. Apple earpods cost more or less the same so.

Conclusion: Sony STH 30 is a very nice headset. I would really recommend it for those looking for a headset with functional volume controls for Android. Waterproof and very nice output. This is really useful when you're caught under the rain. The drawbacks only are the low volume output and the not so tactile buttons. For me, I still prefer the Apple Earpods for build quality and comfort. The Sony STH 30 is comfortable but not so if you use it for a long time unlike the Apple Earpods where you can easily forget that you are wearing a headset. If not for the incompatible controls of the Apple Earpods, I would still use it on my Z1C but i'm tired of taking out my phone just to adjust the volume whenever I take a walk and listen to music. Still the Sony STH 30 is better than most of the other headsets there including the stock headset included on the Z1C.

For questions, don't hesitate to post it here.;)

Attachments

• DSC_2829.jpg
    DSC_2829.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 5,893
  • DSC_2830.jpg
    DSC_2830.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 5,598

Phukkitt

Jun 19, 2013
Stockholm
I bought them as well, here in Sweden they are available for 199 SEK (approx. $30).

My impressions of the sound is that they are great, the mic quality is also great, although some have said that I sound a bit loud when I'm using the headset, I guess that's because it picks up audio so well.

Unlike you, I hate that the cable is of the type with one short and one long to put behind your neck, I would have preferred the normal design with equally long cables for both ears. The quality of the cable feels fine, although the ones that go to each ear after the cable splits are a bit on the thin side.

When it comes to comfort, they are a bit thicker than Apple's earpods, and IMO not as comfortable. I guess it depends on the shape of your ears, but both for me and my friend who has an iPhone, the Apple earpods feel more comfortable.

infinitylook

May 26, 2013
I bought them as well, here in Sweden they are available for 199 SEK (approx. $30).

My impressions of the sound is that they are great, the mic quality is also great, although some have said that I sound a bit loud when I'm using the headset, I guess that's because it picks up audio so well.

Unlike you, I hate that the cable is of the type with one short and one long to put behind your neck, I would have preferred the normal design with equally long cables for both ears. The quality of the cable feels fine, although the ones that go to each ear after the cable splits are a bit on the thin side.

When it comes to comfort, they are a bit thicker than Apple's earpods, and IMO not as comfortable. I guess it depends on the shape of your ears, but both for me and my friend who has an iPhone, the Apple earpods feel more comfortable.

Agree with you, apple earpods are way more comfy to wear. On the cables, i don't have complain on the main cable but only on the cables that goes to each wire and like you said they are thin. I feel that they would snap anytime. Thanks for sharing your experience :)

Reactions: Aria.A97

Aria.A97

Nov 23, 2013
@infinitylook @Phukkitt

Hi, I was going to buy STH 30 but these reviews are forcing me to stop buying :(

I used Sony MH410 (came with my phone) :laugh: Are cables worse than my stock one?
I read about sound quality but things you wrote about cables are making me worried :crying:

and my stock Sony MH410 falls a little bit easy from my ear but iPhone 5s Earpods fits my ear perfect. Should I still buy these?

infinitylook

May 26, 2013
@infinitylook @Phukkitt

Hi, I was going to buy STH 30 but these reviews are forcing me to stop buying :(

I used Sony MH410 (came with my phone) :laugh: Are cables worse than my stock one?
I read about sound quality but things you wrote about cables are making me worried :crying:

and my stock Sony MH410 falls a little bit easy from my ear but iPhone 5s Earpods fits my ear perfect. Should I still buy these?

Hi the STH 30 fits okay but falls off a little bit easy unlike apple earpods that fits snugly. However, sound quality in STH 30 is way better and calls are way better. Cables are okay until now (at least for my unit) guess it won't snap that easily just like i thought before but you still need to be careful (nothing's wrong with being careful). The STH 30 are really WATERPROOF and i tested my unit in the shower just for fun and it works. SO it's up to you, for me i would go STH 30 any day because of sound quality and compatibility of controls.

Aria.A97

Nov 23, 2013
Hi the STH 30 fits okay but falls off a little bit easy unlike apple earpods that fits snugly. However, sound quality in STH 30 is way better and calls are way better. Cables are okay until now (at least for my unit) guess it won't snap that easily just like i thought before but you still need to be careful (nothing's wrong with being careful). The STH 30 are really WATERPROOF and i tested my unit in the shower just for fun and it works. SO it's up to you, for me i would go STH 30 any day because of sound quality and compatibility of controls.

Thank you. Can you just say are cables better than mine or not?

infinitylook

May 26, 2013
the sth is better on cables than the stock headset that came with my z1 compact. not sure with other phone units.

Aria.A97

Nov 23, 2013
@infinitylook
Thanks you very very much.
Sorry if I'm bothering you but can you say how much powerful is STH30 bass?

I'm not Bass Head, really hate bass and those Extra Bass models :laugh:
Bass of Philips SHS3200 is ok for me
If you confirm that bass is not very powerful and ear shaking I'll buy this model ASAP :good:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my Sony STH 30 from eBay from this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/351080069901?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Here is my quick review. I will be comparing these Apple Earpods since I own both. Remember this is just my own opinion and my preference.
    First, design is like the other headset from Sony where the other ear wire is longer which is supposed to be run at the back of your neck. I like this style of placement than the earpods of Apple and other manufacturers. Whenever I remove them from my ears, I can just let them hang without falling off.

Design and Build: The quality of wire used in the headset is not that good. For me, it feels like it can easily snap anytime, especially the ones that run from the ears. They are thin and prone to strangling. Unlike the Apple Earpods where the wire is thick and retains it's shape (like for example, if I fold the Sony it has the tendency to stick into that form even after untying it so I need to straighten it up). For the design, Sony's design is nice, it's sharp on the edges and modern in looks. I prefer the looks of Apple earpods though because it's simple and nice but I love the aluminum part of the STH 30. The call key and ear cap design on the Sony STH 30 are made from aluminum (maybe brushed metal) and is really elegant. Controls are okay, but not as tactile as Apple Earpods. You will get used to it though but I hope they made it tactile. The volume controls are rubberize which adds the difficulty of pressing them.

Comfort: Both are comfortable to wear. No issues in here.

Bass, Treble and Volume Output: The bass of the Sony STH 30 is really nice, it's a bit better than the earpods from Apple. Both headsets are clear but I guess Sony wins here. The volume is pretty low though. Unlike the earpods where setting the music volume even to 50 percent is already sufficient for me to clearly hear the music but for the Sony STH 30 I need to set it up to 90 percent or higher. I guess the reason for this is the waterproof membrane that cause loudness to be somewhat low just like on their Xperia Z series. Overall, I love the Apple Earpods here because of the volume.

Mic: Very clear. Tried calling someone with the headset and she said I came in clear (I was near a band performance that time). I guess this is excellent. Apple earpods wasn't really good for calling when I used it on my iPhone more so on my Z1C now.

Price: I got this from eBay for 37 USD. Now, I wouldn't recommend really buying from eBay if you can find one in your local store but in my case, I need to get it from online since this isn't available in my country. Apple earpods cost more or less the same so.

Conclusion: Sony STH 30 is a very nice headset. I would really recommend it for those looking for a headset with functional volume controls for Android. Waterproof and very nice output. This is really useful when you're caught under the rain. The drawbacks only are the low volume output and the not so tactile buttons. For me, I still prefer the Apple Earpods for build quality and comfort. The Sony STH 30 is comfortable but not so if you use it for a long time unlike the Apple Earpods where you can easily forget that you are wearing a headset. If not for the incompatible controls of the Apple Earpods, I would still use it on my Z1C but i'm tired of taking out my phone just to adjust the volume whenever I take a walk and listen to music. Still the Sony STH 30 is better than most of the other headsets there including the stock headset included on the Z1C.

For questions, don't hesitate to post it here.;)

Agree with you, apple earpods are way more comfy to wear. On the cables, i don't have complain on the main cable but only on the cables that goes to each wire and like you said they are thin. I feel that they would snap anytime. Thanks for sharing your experience :)
    @infinitylook @Phukkitt

the sth is better on cables than the stock headset that came with my z1 compact. not sure with other phone units.