CWM Recovery [GT-P6810][wifi]

Search This thread

davp

Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane
Hi,

Please find port of Clockwork Mod Recovery 5.0.2.7 for GT-P6810.
(this is not a kernel replacement- just a cwm recovery image)

This is ported from the garyd9 6210 cwm recovery so please go thank him. (in 7.0+ forums)

Modified to work on 6810.
Incorporates garyd9 patches for sd card handling.

also thanks to ezynow and kassemja - for advice and bug fixing
based on stock firmware.

I have tried backup & restore, wipe cache , wipe dalvik-cache and so far has worked.
New version 2012-02-01: data wipe and then restore, backup to external and to internal (internal is now the default).

But we need some further testers.

Please only try if you what you are doing & know how to flash with odin.
Requirements: you need to be rooted.

Please know how to recover your device independently before using this!
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE ON ANY OTHER DEVICE. THE PARTITIONS ON THE P6810 ARE DIFFERENT!

Ok - first identified issue: If we are backing up to the external sdcard. This is fat32. So we have a file size limitation.
Also there may be a tool set size limitation in the binaries (as ported). This mainly affects "data", as this seems to include
pictures, video etc from the /data/media directories. So looks like to me data > 2G wont restore. Although it does create
(in my example 3.5G file and checksum is ok). I found that the 3.5G would not load. I retarred with all stuff in /data/media
deleted, (and fixed the nandroid checksum) then the data file loads (about 900M) and my device is recovered. I'm expecting if you try to back up more than 4G, the file will not be usable due to FAT32. I Hope this is clear.

So please check your file sizes (and nandroid sums) before attempting a restore.

So with this in mind,

Update: 2012-02-01: now backing up in the CWM tradition by default to the internal sd (which is ext4), and there are extra options enabled in the backup/restore menu. Please remember we are still in test mode. I think It is now working as intended and not backing up /data/media its easy to tell from the size of the data nandroid file.
So please backup your precious videos, pics etc from the /data/media directory independently.

Odin tar file (in the pda):

Attachments

• P6810_CWM_recovery120130171521.tar
    5.6 MB · Views: 1,225
  • P6810_CWM_recovery120201170949.tar
    5.6 MB · Views: 5,994
Last edited:

padebije

Jan 14, 2008
Hi,

This is ported from the garyd9 6210 cwm recovery so please go thank him. (in 7.0+ forums)

based on stock firmware.

I have tried backup & restore, wipe cache , wipe dalvik-cache and so far has worked.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE ON ANY OTHER DEVICE. THE PARTITIONS ON THE P6810 ARE DIFFERENT!

Big applause!
I've just tried to install CWM Recovery on my GT-P6810.

Wipe: works fine
Backup: seems to work fine
Restore: MD5 mismatch! error

I tried the following.

adb shell
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2012-01-30.**.**.**
# rm nandroid.md5 (error)
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

My GT-P6810 started to restore. But after reboot, nothing changed...

davp

Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane
Big applause!
I've just tried to install CWM Recovery on my GT-P6810.

Wipe: works fine
Backup: seems to work fine
Restore: MD5 mismatch! error

I tried the following.

adb shell
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2012-01-30.**.**.**
# rm nandroid.md5 (error)
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

My GT-P6810 started to restore. But after reboot, nothing changed...

You installed via odin from above link? Any other source (market, another thread will not work on the P6810)

Thanks for trying.
Replacing the md5s is probably not a safe thing to do, the md5s are to ensure the backup is good. It would have been better to check the md5s and see which file is damaged.

Suggest:
Try a different microsd
Make sure your external microsd card is working correctly and has enough space
Move or delete the existing backup you did
Make another backup
check the md5sums of the files match the nandroid.md5 (cat nandroid.md5 ; md5sum *)
check the file sizes make sense (recovery and boot are 8M exactly, system ~684M, data varies)
If recovery and boot are not 8M, or any sums dont match what is in nandroid.md5, dont try to restore.
report back (please)

Last edited:

padebije

Jan 14, 2008
You installed via odin from above link? Any other source (market, another thread will not work on the P6810)

Thanks for trying.
Replacing the md5s is probably not a safe thing to do, the md5s are to ensure the backup is good. It would have been better to check the md5s and see which file is damaged.

Suggest:
Try a different microsd
Make sure your external microsd card is working correctly and has enough space
Move or delete the existing backup you did
Make another backup
check the md5sums of the files match the nandroid.md5 (cat nandroid.md5 ; md5sum *)
check the file sizes make sense (recovery and boot are 8M exactly, system ~684M, data varies)
If recovery and boot are not 8M, or any sums dont match what is in nandroid.md5, dont try to restore.
report back (please)

Could you tell me the URL of Odin you mentioned above?
I installed via Odin3-v1. 85...

davp

Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane
Ok guys, looks like there are file size issues due to fat32 external sdcard etc.

I believe the tool can still be useful, but be aware its limitations.

Have documented this in the first post as an issue.
The download is the same (I cant fix the fat32 limits).

Could you tell me the URL of Odin you mentioned above?
I installed via Odin3-v1. 85...
I use the one I had installed months ago (for phone). It the same version (downloaded mine from Intratech's gs2 official rom thread).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Last edited:

padebije

Jan 14, 2008
BRAVOOOOO!!!!!
I deleted all movie files > 2GB, and tried backup, wipe data, and restore again.
This time, I could make it thanks to your advice!

kassemja

Jun 1, 2010
Sydney
Hi davp,

You should push source to git hub, perhaps we could enlist Koush or Codeworkx to assist us. of all the options i have tried with recovery.fstab i was never happy.

i could never get both internal and external sd cards to mount. when i had them both setup the menu options for flashing and restore / backup will show option for internal sd cards.

IMHO, recovery should back up to external, as if you really bung up your device you will not have access to internal memory. The fact most of us only have 16gb internal memory its makes more sense to back up to external sd card.

i remember the nook colour, had a simalar debacle when they 1st released CWM mod for it. you could look there. i really havn't had a chance to dig into this. perhaps over the weekend i get more time

Thanks for your help with this kassemja!
cheers

Update posted in first post.

Jompet

Aug 28, 2010
Carlisle
Any chance somebody could please extract stock recovery and send me a target version?

Sent from my GT-P6810 using XDA Premium App

SyLvEsTeR20007

Mar 12, 2007
Jena
Help

Hi Guys,

EDIT: - I flashed an incomplete tar file as the download had not finished when I copied to sd card.

Got a small issues,

I have a Tab 7.7 running HC 3.2.

I gained root access and then install mobile odin pro.

I then proceeded to install this CWM and its not stuck at the galaxy tab 7.7 black and white screen at boot.

I selected the file i downloaded here using the recovery option to flash in mobile odin.

any ideas what i can do to get this working again?

Many Thanks

Syl

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

based on stock firmware.

New version 2012-02-01: data wipe and then restore, backup to external and to internal (internal is now the default).

Ok - first identified issue: If we are backing up to the external sdcard. This is fat32. So we have a file size limitation.
    Also there may be a tool set size limitation in the binaries (as ported). This mainly affects "data", as this seems to include
    pictures, video etc from the /data/media directories. So looks like to me data > 2G wont restore. Although it does create
    (in my example 3.5G file and checksum is ok). I found that the 3.5G would not load. I retarred with all stuff in /data/media
    deleted, (and fixed the nandroid checksum) then the data file loads (about 900M) and my device is recovered. I'm expecting if you try to back up more than 4G, the file will not be usable due to FAT32. I Hope this is clear.

So please check your file sizes (and nandroid sums) before attempting a restore.

So with this in mind,

Update: 2012-02-01: now backing up in the CWM tradition by default to the internal sd (which is ext4), and there are extra options enabled in the backup/restore menu. Please remember we are still in test mode. I think It is now working as intended and not backing up /data/media its easy to tell from the size of the data nandroid file.
    So please backup your precious videos, pics etc from the /data/media directory independently.