Couldn't install on. USB storage or SD card

Search This thread

deeteroderdas

Dec 6, 2011
Texas
Is anyone here running into problems installing apps from the app store? I have been getting the following error message the past few days whenever I install certain apps, but not others: "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card."

I researched this error message and discovered that deleting a temp file (smdl2tmp1) from the phone in one of two directories should fix it. However, that file doesn't exist anywhere on my phone.

I've gone as far as wipe my phone completely (after backing up) and reinstalling the ROM, but no good.

Still scratching my head.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

toohsieh

Nov 26, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've got the same issue on MagioROM's latest version with all my paid apps. Very frustrating. I wonder if it's because of a firmware incompatability? I'm reading about S4 users with the same issue.

droids@m

Dec 16, 2012
Bangalore
I've got the same issue on MagioROM's latest version with all my paid apps. Very frustrating. I wonder if it's because of a firmware incompatability? I'm reading about S4 users with the same issue.

The issue is the temp files on the .android_secure...

The path on this folder is root of /sdcard

In ES Explorer make the hidden Files ON

and Delete all the contents of the .android_secure.........

try Installing the app it ll work.......

toohsieh

Nov 26, 2012
San Jose, CA
The issue is the temp files on the .android_secure...

The path on this folder is root of /sdcard

In ES Explorer make the hidden Files ON

and Delete all the contents of the .android_secure.........

try Installing the app it ll work.......

Hey, thanks for your reply. I actually do not have that folder on my root despite enabling hidden files. Otherwise I would have tried it out since it seems to be the common solution online...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

revelat10n

Feb 4, 2014
I'm getting the same error "Couldn't install on. USB storage or SD card" with MagioROM R2 for ATT. I'm unable to install any paid apps.

Farrric

Feb 3, 2014
same here with the MagioROM for AT&T.tried looking for that folder and it wasnt there.

droids@m

Dec 16, 2012
Bangalore
Hey, thanks for your reply. I actually do not have that folder on my root despite enabling hidden files. Otherwise I would have tried it out since it seems to be the common solution online...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

are u searching for that folder in /root I meant /sdcard

All the phones will have that folder by default..........

Open ES Explorer it takes u directly to sdcard......

From the menu enable Hidden Files u ll be able to see that Folder right on top of everything.......

revelat10n

Feb 4, 2014
are u searching for that folder in /root I meant /sdcard

All the phones will have that folder by default..........

Open ES Explorer it takes u directly to sdcard......

From the menu enable Hidden Files u ll be able to see that Folder right on top of everything.......

Those hidden folders do not exist with this ROM.

I wound up just installing the Blackout Extreme 4.2.2 release. It doesn't have the issue with installing paid apps. However I did have to pull the Twitter and Instagram Blinkfeed APKs from another ROM as the Blackout Extreme ROM stripped them. The R2 MagioROM stripped Instagram for blinkfeed too (much to my annoyance).

toohsieh

Nov 26, 2012
San Jose, CA

I wound up just installing the Blackout Extreme 4.2.2 release. It doesn't have the issue with installing paid apps. However I did have to pull the Twitter and Instagram Blinkfeed APKs from another ROM as the Blackout Extreme ROM stripped them. The R2 MagioROM stripped Instagram for blinkfeed too (much to my annoyance).

Yeah, I spent a long while hooking my phone up to various computers and operating systems attempting to figure out if the folders were just hidden in Root Explorer or ES File Explorer, but it looks like those folders just don't appear anywhere. I guess I'm switching back to Elegancia, but man, how disappointing.

droids@m

Dec 16, 2012
Bangalore

May be its not as Simple as I thought....:mad:

Could be the ROM issue.....

nadaall

Mar 11, 2013
Another fix

Hi guys
Just posted this fix in other thread, and thought you might also find it useful.

Just encountered the same problem guys. Searched all over and only solutions I've found was (time-consuming) unmounting the SD Card or deleting the smdl2tmp1.asec file.
Since I can't be bothered to UNMOUNT the SD Card everytime I install the app and the mentioned file can not be found in my system (Note 3) I found 3rd solution which solved my problem.
It works only on phones which have external SD Card.

Here's what you need to do (instruction for dummies ;))
1. Connect your phone or SD Card to your PC
2. Copy most important folders and files to your hard drive - photos, music, videos, apk's etc. (basically do a backup of those files)
3. Disconnect the phone from your PC
4. Go to settings in your phone (Settings>Storage>SD Card)
5. Format your SD Card.
6. Copy back the folders and files you backed up on your PC.

It worked for me, so I thought I'd share it with those who don't find "unmounting" and deleting smdl2tmp1.asec file helpful.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!!