Post Reply Email Thread
23rd December 2015, 02:28 AM |#4981  
Recognized Contributor
/
Thanks Meter: 3,206

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evronetwork

Adaway looks like it's working, downloading files and all - if I didn't say it sorry my mistake. I'll check the hosts file asap and get back to you. I'll uninstall it check it out install it update it check it out again, reboot and check it out one more time

EDIT: Remove Adaway, checked hosts ...only locahost(which is normal - I'm a computer repair tech if I fail to mention that too, I'm good with any windows system, with android well lets say I know some stuff :P)
Install adaway dl files and rebooted, files are there and I do have a note in hosts saying "This hosts file is generated by Adaway." ...so it should work, but it's not

No other hosts files ..it's a mistery :P

EDIT2: and the ads keep up :P

Not that much of a mystery. If no ads are blocked at all anywhere, your data is going through a proxy and ignoring your hosts file. If only some apps/browsers show ads, those ad-laden apps don't go through local DNS. Finally if some ads appear but not others, it could simply be that you need to blacklist those remaining ads or the ads are accessed by IP and not by host name. Search this thread if you need help identifying the culprit, as those issues have been discussed many times here even though they are not directly related to the basic functions of AdAway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
23rd December 2015, 07:23 PM |#4982  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evronetwork

Adaway looks like it's working, downloading files and all - if I didn't say it sorry my mistake. I'll check the hosts file asap and get back to you. I'll uninstall it check it out install it update it check it out again, reboot and check it out one more time

EDIT: Remove Adaway, checked hosts ...only locahost(which is normal - I'm a computer repair tech if I fail to mention that too, I'm good with any windows system, with android well lets say I know some stuff :P)
Install adaway dl files and rebooted, files are there and I do have a note in hosts saying "This hosts file is generated by Adaway." ...so it should work, but it's not

No other hosts files ..it's a mistery :P

EDIT2: and the ads keep up :P

Same here on CM 12.1
23rd December 2015, 08:28 PM |#4983  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunak

Same here on CM 12.1

We hear constant references to compatibility issues between CM 12.1 and most anything that deals with the hosts file (including AdAway and just about every DNS-related product), but never see any useful log. If you use CM 12.1, PLEASE make sure that you grant sufficient privileges to AdAway ("Privacy Guard"?) and that you only have ONE /system/etc/hosts.* file. I'm afraid I don't have a spare device at this time on which to install CM 12.1, but it seems rather clear that the issue is NOT with AdAway but rather with how that ROM family handles local DNS resolution, a matter over which AdAway has absolutely no control.

Note that, as mentioned many times previously, as long as your /system/etc/hosts contains the entries that you asked AdAway to put there, that means AdAway is working. If somehow CM 12.1 doesn't respect the hosts file contents, that might be something to bring up to CM support!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
23rd December 2015, 09:01 PM |#4984  
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,281

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

We hear constant references to compatibility issues between CM 12.1 and most anything that deals with the hosts file (including AdAway and just about every DNS-related product), but never see any useful log. If you use CM 12.1, PLEASE make sure that you grant sufficient privileges to AdAway ("Privacy Guard"?) and that you only have ONE /system/etc/hosts.* file. I'm afraid I don't have a spare device at this time on which to install CM 12.1, but it seems rather clear that the issue is NOT with AdAway but rather with how that ROM family handles local DNS resolution, a matter over which AdAway has absolutely no control.

Note that, as mentioned many times previously, as long as your /system/etc/hosts contains the entries that you asked AdAway to put there, that means AdAway is working. If somehow CM 12.1 doesn't respect the hosts file contents, that might be something to bring up to CM support!

I've never had a single instance of AdAway not working properly on CM 12.1 and CM 12.1 based roms on a range of devices from 4 different OEMs. I seriously doubt ( particularly without specific proof, which there isn't ) that there's an inherent problem in CM regarding AdAway or hosts file issues, but rather a statistical majority of users installing AdAway on CM 12.1, simply because it is the most popular custom rom by far, thus most users with a problem are likely using CM 12.1.

Most issues if not all can be solved reading the OP or searching the thread, nothing to do with CM 12.1.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
23rd December 2015, 09:36 PM |#4985  
Flag Schwarzwald / Blackforest
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

I'm running CM12.1 together wit AdAway 3.1 ... no problem at all ...
The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingShadows For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChasingShadows Ad-Free
23rd December 2015, 09:36 PM |#4986  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,272

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

I've never had a single instance of AdAway not working properly on CM 12.1 and CM 12.1 based roms on a range of devices from 4 different OEMs. I seriously doubt ( particularly without specific proof, which there isn't ) that there's an inherent problem in CM regarding AdAway or hosts file issues, but rather a statistical majority of users installing AdAway on CM 12.1, simply because it is the most popular custom rom by far, thus most users with a problem are likely using CM 12.1.

Most issues if not all can be solved reading the OP or searching the thread, nothing to do with CM 12.1.

Well put about a false perception of causality created by a statistical majority in which a larger number (but not a higher percentage) of 3rd party items or untoward actions become factors. In addition to reviewing the appropriate threads and providing viable proof as you suggest, I recommend that anyone having a problem with Adaway in CM12.1 stage their testing. eg. Flash ROM and Gapps, enable native CM SU, make no other changes or modifications (kernels,Xposed, other tweaks), then install and test Adaway. If the first test is successful, procede with the configuration of the ROM and addition of other bits in increments, re-testing repeatedly along the way. If the first test fails, flash SuperSU and see what happens. If an issue is noticed, find out how to reproduce it and log it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
23rd December 2015, 09:41 PM |#4987  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramanoid

You might be right. I have no personal experience with CM 12.1 and I'm merely referring to various comments posted on this and other sites, suggesting that for some users going from CM12 to CM12.1 somehow caused perceived DNS problems. I wholeheartedly agree that simply reading the OP or searching the thread would save all of us many headaches but we both know that searching before posting is a lost art.

That said, I have yet to hear of any specific AdAway issue... with anything!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
24th December 2015, 01:48 PM |#4988  
Flag Pescara
Thanks Meter: 630

Donate to Me
More
I noticed 2 weeks ago that all the ads are starting to appear again for some apps, is it like that the host file entries are deprecated or something like that, am i the only one?

An example for me it's mxplayer (i don't use it very often, so i don't know exactly when it started to show ads again)

24th December 2015, 02:14 PM |#4989  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,272

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz93

I noticed 2 weeks ago that all the the ads are starting to appear again for some apps, is it like that the host file entries are deprecated or something like that, am i the only one?

An example for me it's mxplayer (i don't use it very often, so i don't know exactly when it started to show ads again)

MX player may use a form of push advertising that cannot be blocked by host based methods. You can confirm this by running "Scan for Adware" in Adaway. that fact that it might not have showed ads for a while might be coincidental or might mean it uses multiple methods.
Click image for larger version

Name:	AdawayAdwareScan.png
Views:	968
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	3587306
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
24th December 2015, 02:59 PM |#4990  
Flag Pescara
Thanks Meter: 630

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

MX player may use a form of push advertising that cannot be blocked by host based methods. You can confirm this by running "Scan for Adware" in Adaway. that fact that it might not have showed ads for a while might be coincidental or might mean it uses multiple methods.

You're right, thanks! Ironically all the app's listed there are the ones that started to show ads during the last month, lol
25th December 2015, 02:59 AM |#4991  
Flag North
Thanks Meter: 404

Donate to Me
More
I update my cm now ..new version shown up(I run sultans cm12.1 rom for my 1+1) and seems the problem still exists(I flash SU and grand permission of course ..and after the update I reboot ..still)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)